The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

King Of The Cat Cafe

I have just finished "American Psycho", by Bret Easton Ellis.

It's a satire about the yuppie class of high earning bankers and the like in New York in the latter part of the 20th century.  Oh, and the protagonist likes killing and mutilating women.

It is actually  a bit of a slow burner, and although I almost gave up a few times, I persisted to the end.

I am typing this on an iPad Mark 2.  I'm wearing a Thomas Nash pure cotton  shirt, navy with pale blue stripes; a blue lambs wool jumper by Red Herring; black jeans from M&S; black socks by Pringle; and underwear from Primark.  Later, I plan to watch a recording of the Jeremy Kyle Show that asks "Is bringing your son up to support Hibs a form of child abuze?"

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Riddley Walker
On 10/01/2018 at 12:43, Haken said:

I've picked that up, thought about buying it, put it back down a few times now.  Will be interested to hear how it pans out.

Sigh.

I eventually finished reading this after putting it down a couple of times. Each chapter is split into four sections describing four different ways the protagonist's life could have gone. It's mainly set in 1960s New York. It's extremely well written but very Bookery. 

After 400 pages I was really enjoying it. After 700 pages I was finding it extremely repetitive and by the time it hit 1000 pages I was wishing it to end. 

I'd give it 3 out of 5 if I'm feeling generous, although when the afterglow of dullness is gone I might think more favourably about it. Far too long for the subject.

Edited by Riddley Walker

3 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

Sigh.

I eventually finished reading this after putting it down a couple of times. Each chapter is split into four sections describing four different ways the protagonist's life could have gone. It's mainly set in 1960s New York. It's extremely well written but very Bookery. 

After 400 pages I was really enjoying it. After 700 pages I was finding it extremely repetitive and by the time it hit 1000 pages I was wishing it to end. 

I'd give it 3 out of 5 if I'm feeling generous, although when the afterglow of dullness is gone I might think more favourably about it. Far too long for the subject.

Thanks for that.  You've confirmed what I feared it might be. 

Finished I Am Travelling Alone.  Don't know if it was down to poor writing or poor translation (or both), but I got really annoyed by the number of times one character 'pulled a lozenge from out of her pocket' and the number of times people winked (yes, winked with an 'i') at each other - perhaps it is a particularly Norwegian trait.  3 out of 5.

So now onto another translated effort.  This time, Metro 2033 which is post-apocalyptic fare set in Russia. 

• 2 weeks later...

Recently finished Red Sparrow which was entertaining and moved along at a fair clip. Almost finished Ready Player One. Loving it and all the eighties references. Hope the movie does it justice!!

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:38, dougal said:

Recently finished Red Sparrow which was entertaining and moved along at a fair clip. Almost finished Ready Player One. Loving it and all the eighties references. Hope the movie does it justice!!

Re Ready Player One, the film is a fair bit different from the book.  Both are decent in their own right.

Didn't finish Metro 2033 because, by god, it is boring.  It's got tons of good reviews, so the problem is obviously with me.

I'm now well into The Dark Room by Jonathan Moore, a crime thriller set in San Francisco.  Got about a third to go, but it's been pretty decent.

Just started to read Hamlet.  Hated Shakespeare in school and haven't read any since then, but I thought I'd give him another try.  I fully expect to put it aside before I'm halfway through.

18 hours ago, Helzibob said:

Just started The Road, Cormack McCarthy.

Great book if you can get used to McCarthy's style.  Some really gruesome bits done through suggestion rather than graphic description.

Finished The Dark Room  Pretty decent without being anything spectacular.

Now onto The Boy on the Bridge, by M  R Carey, which is set in the same post-apocalyptic world as The Girl With All the Gifts.

Disser Pointon

Latest book in the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly, the Woman in the Woods, by far my favourite book series of all time.

Finished The Boy on the Bridge  Bit of a slow middle but a cracking ending which, on reflection, was kind of inevitable, but a nice tie in with the events of TGWATG.

Now onto Hugo and Nebula award winning sci-fi effort called The Windup Girl.

King Of The Cat Cafe

Just finished "Saboteur" by Andrew Gross - as in just stopped reading "Saboteur" by Andrew Gross.

It is all about a plot to destroy Nazi heavy water production in Norway during WW2.

I did try, I gave it 300 pages.  I actually started to wonder if it was a collaboration between two authors of differing abilities such was a variation, in my mind anyway, in the writing style.

My review: "Plodding, predictable plot; dire dialogue".

However, Nelson DeMille said it was "a terrific read" and Peter James found it "a brilliant tour de force".

What the hell do I know?

6 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Much better than the film.

The novel that inspires a film usually is.

Francis Albert

The Geogetown Set by Gregg Herken. For anyone following the Poisened Russian Spy thread about the new Cold War essential reading about the old Cold War. Confirmation that though the technology may have changed there is really nothing new ... and that dirty tricks, media manipulation, meddling in others' elections, politically driven sackings (even if as yet it has not led to suicide), absurd conspiracies and plots including assassination attempts are nothing new and that is just talking about "our side". It puts current hysteria into some sort of perspective.

Edited by Francis Albert

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:18, Haken said:

Now onto Hugo and Nebula award winning sci-fi effort called The Windup Girl.

All I can say is that The Windup Girl deserved its awards.  Crammed full with plausible and scarey ideas about the way the planet is headed.

Now onto The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye, the fifth book featuring the lassie wi the Dragon tats.

Half way through The Terror by Dan Simmons. Good mix of history and horror. Bloody massive book though, over 900 pages. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished TGWTAEFAE.  Really poor fare.  This series may have run its course.

Now reading The City and the City by China Meiville.  I avoided watching it on TV while the book was sitting unread on the shelf.  Pretty good stuff so far.

I’m heading on my holidays in a few weeks. Any recommendations on dystopian type books, preferably series or trilogies? 

8 hours ago, Helzibob said:

I’m heading on my holidays in a few weeks. Any recommendations on dystopian type books, preferably series or trilogies? 

The Stand by Stephen King (though guessing you may have read it.  If so, read it again)

The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness (YAF but really good, big questions about terrorism)

Recently read the Divergent trilogy - it was ok but a bit of a poor man's Hunger Games.

9 minutes ago, Haken said:

The Stand by Stephen King (though guessing you may have read it.  If so, read it again)

The Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness (YAF but really good, big questions about terrorism)

Recently read the Divergent trilogy - it was ok but a bit of a poor man's Hunger Games.

Not read the stand. Read the other two though. 

8 hours ago, Helzibob said:

The red sister by Mark Lawrence, the sequel comes out tomorrow, the grey sister. I'll be saving that for my holiday.

5 minutes ago, superjack said:

The red sister by Mark Lawrence, the sequel comes out tomorrow, the grey sister. I'll be saving that for my holiday.

Cheers. I’ll have a look. 

I’ve finished the Dominion trilogy recently and the wool trilogy the other year. They were both very readable. 

The IRA, The Provos and Sinn Fein by Peter Taylor. Excellent stuff. 

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:53, Haken said:

Finished TGWTAEFAE.  Really poor fare.  This series may have run its course.

Now reading The City and the City by China Meiville.  I avoided watching it on TV while the book was sitting unread on the shelf.  Pretty good stuff so far.

Really struggled with TCatC.  A really good idea but delivered by a fairly weak story, imo.

Now reading Sleeping Beauties  by Stephen King and son, Owen.

Maroonblood22
On 03/04/2018 at 23:38, dougal said:

Just finished reading Ready Player One last night. Honestly thought it was superb! Not that I've read too many books in my lifetime but the creativity or the author and 80's references were just brilliant!

William H. Bonney

Bit late to the game but thought I'd read the dark tower series. I'm on book two, the drawing of the three, which is excellent so far. 

I might deviate slightly from the order and read salems lot as I believe there are references. 

Currently been reading a lot of true stories based around undercover agents and biker gangs (like what Gangland Undercover tv series was based on, tremendous viewing btw!)

Most of the operations lasted way longer than anticipated and most of the guys were undercover for years, toying with death and wrestling with the fact that they embraced the fast bikes, beer, woman and camaraderie.

Good reads. I've currently two on the go: Gods of Mischief (george rowe) and  No Angel (Jay Dobyns)

Decent reads but not as good as 'Vagos, Mongols and Outlaws by Charles Falco' or "under and alone by william queen"

Makes sons of anarchy seem like desperate housewives on motorbikes.

King Of The Cat Cafe

I currently have three on the go:

"Sleep Baby Sleep", by David Hewson.  It is about a Dutch detective investigating murders in Amsterdam .

"The Ghosts of Altona", by Craig Russell.  It is about a German detective investigating murders in Hamburg .

"The Crow Girl", by Erik Axel Sund.  It is about a Swedish detective investigating murders in Stockholm.

You my have noticed a theme here...

By the way, I thoroughly recommend Craig Russell.  He is one of the most gripping British crime writers around, not just for the Jan Fabel series set in Hamburg, but also for the Lennox series set in Glasgow.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 09:57, Dino Velvet said:

Bit late to the game but thought I'd read the dark tower series. I'm on book two, the drawing of the three, which is excellent so far. 

I might deviate slightly from the order and read salems lot as I believe there are references. 

I would do yourself a favour and stop after the fourth book.  Just come up with your own ending.  Whatever you come up with, it will be better than what King managed.  There's a character from (the excellent) Salem's Lot who appears in the last couple of books.  I don't think you need to have read SL to benefit from his appearance in The Dark Tower Series.

15 hours ago, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

I currently have three on the go:

"Sleep Baby Sleep", by David Hewson.  It is about a Dutch detective investigating murders in Amsterdam .

"The Ghosts of Altona", by Craig Russell.  It is about a German detective investigating murders in Hamburg .

"The Crow Girl", by Erik Axel Sund.  It is about a Swedish detective investigating murders in Stockholm.

You my have noticed a theme here...

By the way, I thoroughly recommend Craig Russell.  He is one of the most gripping British crime writers around, not just for the Jan Fabel series set in Hamburg, but also for the Lennox series set in Glasgow.

I'm down to three unread books on the shelf and The Crow Girl is one of them.  Nae spoilers, now!

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Haken said:

I would do yourself a favour and stop after the fourth book.  Just come up with your own ending.  Whatever you come up with, it will be better than what King managed.  There's a character from (the excellent) Salem's Lot who appears in the last couple of books.  I don't think you need to have read SL to benefit from his appearance in The Dark Tower Series.

I'll persevere but you're not the first person to tell me similar. 

doctor jambo

Reading "The falcon of Sparta"

by Conn Iggulden

nearly finished

great book (as with all his stuff)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King.  It was ok - 3/5.

About to go on holiday so the Kindle's been loaded up.  Going to start with The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

8 hours ago, Haken said:

Finished Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King.  It was ok - 3/5.

About to go on holiday so the Kindle's been loaded up.  Going to start with The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie

The blade itself is an excellent book, as is the rest of the first law trilogy. I'm pretty sure I first heard about the books earlier on this thread.

9 hours ago, superjack said:

The blade itself is an excellent book, as is the rest of the first law trilogy. I'm pretty sure I first heard about the books earlier on this thread.

I've got all three books on the Kindle.  It's one of the old Kindles, so all I can say is that I'm 4% into it and so far, so good!

• 3 weeks later...
AlphonseCapone

Anyone read any of John ajvide lindqvist books? 

Reading Handling the Undead just now and I'm struggling a bit with it, some of the sentence structure is odd. Not sure if that's all down to the Swedish to English translation. 

So my Kindle (which I only use on holiday) decided to pack in while I was half way through The Blade Itself.

from the hotel's supply of books:

The Chalk Man - really good thriller which I read in a day

Grist Mill Road - this was a pre-publication copy.  More of a literary thriller and also very good

Trust No One - another pre-publication effort.  Meant to be a thriller set around GCHQ and MI5.  Dreadful stuff.  

Now back home and onto Assassin's Fate by Robin Hobb.

The Jim Corbett Trilogy ;

The Man-eaters of Kumaon. 

The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag.

The Temple Tiger and More Man-eaters of Kumaon. 

Tales about Jim Corbett hunting Man-eating Tigers and Leopards in early 1900's India. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Assassin's Fate.  Well, that ending wasn't entirely unpredictable, but packed a punch nevertheless (at least for those who have followed Fitz and the Fool from the beginning).

Now reading some wee weird horror type thing called The Visitors.