Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Craig Gordons Gloves

Rebus books have been a pleasure and a joy for many years. I remember reading the early ones, trying to guess where places were based on. The annual anticipation of the new book release was agonising. The reads, more often than not were great but the disappointment of knowing it would be a year until the next one.

Hopefully Rankin can squeeze out another couple of Rebus books - possibly my all time favourite character in a series of books.

I completely agree, he's been excellent.  I started reading them when i lived in Aberdeen in 98 and like you, eagerly anticipate the release of a new one.  I was also gutted when i finished the latest one.

I've just finished The Ghosts of Belfast by Stewart Neville, it was quite a good read, central character is an ex IRA killer who is trying to erase the ghosts of his killings from his mind.  I'm very excited about the new Brookmyre that is on it's way to me, and there is a new Stuart McBride (Logan novels) coming out this month as well.  As i detest reading ebooks, i have to wait until they get shipped over here but that will come soon enough.  I've got Dennis Lehane's The Drop to read in the meantime, hoping it's good.

Just finished two Icelandic crime books by Ragnar Jonasson(Snowblind and Nightblind)Peter Mays Coffin Road finished last night.will start the new Stuart Macbride Logan Macrae tonight.

Reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, a short story collection.  Gaiman's good.  He's got that (young) Stephen King knack of telling a story.

I'm in the middle of Lamentation by CJ Sansom. It's the 6th book in a series about a lawyer, Matthew Shardlake, in Tudor London who ends up having to investigate no end of gruesome and/or mysterious crimes. I read the first 3 in a week when I was on holiday but have slowed down now as no idea when there will be another out.

(Sorry if these have been discussed before, I've not read back through the whole thread.)

Looking for something to read when I finish this one. Thinking about the Gordiano Bruno series by SJ Parris or the John Shakespeare series by Rory Clements. Any recommendations? Still got a voucher for Amazon from Christmas and looking forward to spending it!

Edited by GorgieGooner

Just finished Ian Rankin's Even dogs in the wild, Latest Rebus book is a very good read.

That was in my Christmas pile. I hadn't read a Rebus book for maybe five or six years and wasn't all that sure if I wanted to get into them again, but this one was really excellent.

Just finished reading psychomech by Brian lumley. Had me gripped from start to finish. Lumley is an author I first heard of on here.

Am now reading the fools quest. Robin Hobbs could possibly be my favourite author ever.

Coffin road by Peter May. Superb novel.

I have just started the first Enzo McLeod novel by Peter May called Extraordinary People. Enjoying so far.

Read the first 4 Logan McRae books by Stuart MacBride. Enjoyed them as well.

Basically just reading books by Scottish authors and can't see me changing for a while. Loads to read. Its getting the time to read is the problem.

Reading Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman, a short story collection. Gaiman's good. He's got that (young) Stephen King knack of telling a story.

Envious of how many books you go through. Must take me 2 weeks to read a book. Holiday time is different, probably 3 in a week but can never find the time.

'The Fall and Decline of the Roman Empire' by Edward Gibbon

Funny, I am too, it was the only thing on my Kindle and I can't connect it to the internet. Think I'm getting to the point where it starts getting 'good'. Always wanted to know more about the later periods of the Roman Empire so  :2thumbsup:

William H. Bonney

I have just started the first Enzo McLeod novel by Peter May called Extraordinary People. Enjoying so far.

Basically just reading books by Scottish authors and can't see me changing for a while. Loads to read. Its getting the time to read is the problem.

Two-way split by Allan Guthrie is a good read. Crime novel set in Edinburgh.

I've read Extraordinary People and I liked it a lot. I've also just read the fifth in the series, Blowback. It's great too, but if you're planning to read more than one I'd make sure you do them in sequence. By this stage in the series Enzo's personal life seems to have changed massively, which threw me more than I thought it would.

I've read Extraordinary People and I liked it a lot. I've also just read the fifth in the series, Blowback. It's great too, but if you're planning to read more than one I'd make sure you do them in sequence. By this stage in the series Enzo's personal life seems to have changed massively, which threw me more than I thought it would.

Yeah got the order of books and will read in order. Tend to do a MacBride book every 2nd book just now. Up to Question of Blood on the Rebus novels too before heard about MacBride.

have an extensive labrary, mostly second hand/charity shop books, 5000 plus but have watched too much tv in the last few years.  i loved whodunnits 20/30 plus years ago...

Just started reading The Shining by Stephen King. The movie's great so thought I'd give the book a try.

The book's fantastic, but the film is a great adaptation. Getting Nicholson to play the lead was inspired.

Envious of how many books you go through. Must take me 2 weeks to read a book. Holiday time is different, probably 3 in a week but can never find the time.

Depends on the book, tbh. I do most of my reading on the train to and from Edinburgh, and at lunchtime if I can't be arsed going out for a wander.

Just finished The Program by David Walsh. It's the story about the story of the guy who trailed Lance Armstrong and eventually got the proof that nailed the drugs cheat. Interesting story but poorly put together IMO.  For ?3.85 in Tesco it's worth a read.

Started reading Dune a while back.

Absolute trash, should really stop listening to people who recommend me shit like that

Edit: along similar lines was that Stephen King's the Dark Tower, slogged through a book and a half of that :cornette:

Edited by MrRobbo10

Bridge of Djoum

I read Gideon's Spies last year. Interested in the shadowy world of Mossad.

Just picked this up yesterday at Barnes & Noble. Looking forward to starting it tonight after work...

....d3c2a004b0b8af428225b1368c3c1a6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bridge of Djoum

Absolute trash, should really stop listening to people who recommend me shit like that

Edit: along similar lines was that Stephen King's the Dark Tower, slogged through a book and a half of that :cornette:

Dune was a great game back in the day though.

Each to their own. I think Dune is amazing, but the rest f the series is much heavier going.

Also liked the first couple of books in The Dark Tower, but the ending of the series is woeful.

Finished Fragile Things.  A bit hit and miss.  Reminded me that when it comes to short stories, no one does it much better than Stephen King.  It put me in the mood for some early King, so am now re-reading The Dead Zone.

Just finished reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. Excellent book and well worth a read. It's the book that the recent movie Everest was based on. Had it sitting on my shelf for a few years and just got round to reading it.

• 2 weeks later...
Maiden Gorgie

I read that book a few years ago and absolutely loved it. JJ Abrams' production company has made it into a miniseries, which will be out soon. They actually filmed some of it in our village last summer. Our main street was transformed into early 60s US for a little while, with vintage cars and old shopfronts.

Fantastic book. just started reading "from a Buick 8" in the last few days and it is really good so far. Finished Mr Mercedes during the week, loved it. Getting right into my Stephen King again. 

Although, I logged onto Amazon to download "Finders Keepers" which features the same characters as Mr Mercedes and it is ?13.99 for the Kindle edition. WTF is that all about?!!!!

Started The Loney by Andrew Hurley.  The front cover informs me that it won the Costa First Novel Award in 2015.  It's, A gothic masterpiece according to The Guardian; A masterful excursion in to terror according to the Sunday Times; and An amazing piece of fiction if you listen to Stephen King.  Have to say that so far it's very good.

Just finished reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. Excellent book and well worth a read. It's the book that the recent movie Everest was based on. Had it sitting on my shelf for a few years and just got round to reading it.

It's an excellent book. The Everest film I found disappointing, though.

It's an excellent book. The Everest film I found disappointing, though.

Possibly one that would have been better in the cinema. Would be a more intense experience on the big screen with swirling sound blasting around the room.

I found it a bit flat watching in the house. Also not enough screen time for Jake Gyllenhaal, who is an excellent actor. Still worth a watch though.

2nd coming by John Niven. Really funny

Got this in my collection, looking forward to reading it. I loved 'Kill Your Friends' and 'The Amateurs'. Hilarious stuff. :D

I'm normally a person who doesn't really do detective novels and the like but I've got into the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly recently. Very good in their genre.

I'm a late starter in the Stuart MacBride books (in terms of when they were out), but I just finished Dying Light. Cracking read. Unexpectedly funny for crime novels, but dark side all the same. Looking forward to the next one.

I'm normally a person who doesn't really do detective novels and the like but I've got into the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly recently. Very good in their genre.

I got right into the harry bosch books a few years ago. However, I read too many in rapid succession and I got fed up with them. As long as I space them out by at least 6 months between them I'm OK. Much the same as the jack reacher books by Lee child. I do still love them though.

• 2 weeks later...

Started The Loney by Andrew Hurley.  The front cover informs me that it won the Costa First Novel Award in 2015.  It's, A gothic masterpiece according to The Guardian; A masterful excursion in to terror according to the Sunday Times; and An amazing piece of fiction if you listen to Stephen King.  Have to say that so far it's very good.

The Loney turned out to be... ...quite good.  It leaves a lot - an awful lot - to the reader's imagination in the hope that you will fill the gaps and give yourself a wee scare, like when you see the fingernails stuck to the side of the pit where the serial killer keeps his victims in Silence of the Lambs.  There was enough weirdness in it to keep me reading, but I couldn't help feel a little let down by it - 6.5/10.

Now onto The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly.  It's set during WW2 and is about a young lad who finds himself in an alternative world which appears to be heavily influenced by the books he loved reading with his mother before she died (and includes an alternative take on Little Red Riding Hood which sees our young heroine engaging in a bit of bestiality!).  Just over 100 pages in and really liking it so far.

Finished The Book of Lost Things. Very, very enjoyable. 8/10. John Connolly, the author, apparently writes crime fiction. Will try some of it out on the basis of TBoLT.

But now onto Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Another wee bit of escapism and so fa, so good.

Finished The Book of Lost Things. Very, very enjoyable. 8/10. John Connolly, the author, apparently writes crime fiction. Will try some of it out on the basis of TBoLT.

But now onto Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Another wee bit of escapism and so fa, so good.

Finished Stardust - decent enough read.  Have since discovered that it's been filmed and stars Boab Di Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer and Clare Danes.  So presumably they've moved the story from Victorian England to America.

Now onto Kazuo Ishiguro's The Sleeping Giant.  Haven't worked out what the hell it's about, yet, but I really like Ishiguro's stuff.

Just started reading a book I discovered on bookbub called dedinburgh. Bases on a zombie plague escaping from Mary kings close. As shite as it sounds it is actually a very good read. And to find out that some nutter in Pilton keeps zoo animals at home was quite funny.

PumpkinJambo

Finished Stardust - decent enough read. Have since discovered that it's been filmed and stars Boab Di Niro, Michelle Pfeiffer and Clare Danes. So presumably they've moved the story from Victorian England to America.

Now onto Kazuo Ishiguro's The Sleeping Giant. Haven't worked out what the hell it's about, yet, but I really like Ishiguro's stuff.

No, the film is still set in England. All but di Niro put on English accents. It's actually a pretty decent film. Lots of great British actors in it too, lots making great cameos like Ricky Gervais and David Walliams.

PumpkinJambo

As the adapted tv series is currently running on BBC1, I've just finished reading The Night Manager. le C?rre is pretty much my favourite author, I've read almost all of his books and enjoyed them all. Some have been hard to get into and other hard to keep track of what's happening (The Honourable Schoolboy is endless but still great) and I've rarely been impressed by adaptations. My favourites are The Spy Who Came In From The Cold which I read in two days whilst I was in London, and Smiley's People. Currently I'm reading Single & Single.

Edited by GorgieGooner

Auld Reekin'

Read James Ellroy's Perfidia recently. Decided to go back and read the first LA Quartet. Got through one and a half so far, loving them.

It's interesting to see how much his writing style has changed, especially with the American Tabloid trilogy.

W.t.f. was Ellroy on / on about in the bit where Dudley Smith claims to have encountered a wolf "on an Irish moor" circa 1916? (Wolves had been extinct there for around 130 years by then.) Was it just a literary device, to tie-in with Smith's predatory behaviour and the appearance and uncontrolled actions of the Japanese prisoner Smith was intending to frame for the murders with which the book opened? (Or did Ellroy just not bother researching this bit?)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book - particularly for the "prequel" into the lives and characters of various people who appeared in earlier books - as I've enjoyed most of his work, but did feel his writing in Pefidia was less tight and controlled than it normally is. Part of this was probably deliberate: as the anti-Japanese sentiment and mob-rule intensified in LA after Pearl Harbour, and the actions of the police themselves grew more and more, um..., "questionable", so the plot-lines and actions of the characters grew increasingly hopped-up and booze-fueled, but I wasn't sure if that accounted for all of the seemingly undisciplined and loosely-structured writing. 

Anyway, he and his books are almost always interesting and entertaining!

Auld Reekin'

As the adapted tv series is currently running on BBC1, I've just finished reading The Night Manager. le C?rre is pretty much my favourite author, I've read almost all of his books and enjoyed them all. Some have been hard to get into and other hard to keep track of what's happening (The Honourable Schoolboy is endless but still great) and I've rarely been impressed by adaptations. My favourites are The Spy Who Came In From The Cold which I read in two days whilst I was in London, and Smiley's People. Currently I'm reading Single & Single.

I agree; Le Carre is a much better author than he's often given credit for and his work stands-up well against many novelists across all genres.

No, the film is still set in England. All but di Niro put on English accents. It's actually a pretty decent film. Lots of great British actors in it too, lots making great cameos like Ricky Gervais and David Walliams.

Cheers.  I've actually been loaned the DVD, just need to get round to watching it now. 

And agree with your Le Carre comments.  I haven't read The Night Manager, but the Smiley books are great and really strip away the James Bond/Bourne approach to the spy novel.  I thought the Honourable Schoolboy was tremendous.  Same with The Perfect Spy.

Finished The Buried Giant.  Very, very good and completely different from anything Ishiguro's done previously.

Having recently re-read The Dead Zone, am now re-reading Christine.

Edited by Haken

PumpkinJambo

Cheers. I've actually been loaned the DVD, just need to get round to watching it now.

And agree with your Le Carre comments. I haven't read The Night Manager, but the Smiley books are great and really strip away the James Bond/Bourne approach to the spy novel. I thought the Honourable Schoolboy was tremendous. Same with The Perfect Spy.

Definitely worth a watch.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I really enjoy the le C?rre novels. I've read a few Bonds and seen the films and whilst I enjoy them, I always get the impression that a lot of time spent in offices and being aware you are doing 'wrong' things but for the 'right' reasons which seems to happen a lot in his novels is much closer to 'real life'. A Perfect Spy is very good, I think I might put it on the re-read list.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, i'm looking for a suggestion for a good book to read. i usually read fantasy, with some crime and thrillers. i fancy something, something fun to read. what would KB suggest?