The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Don't Look Up

(Netflix)

7/10

Leo Di Caprio and Jennifer Lawrence star as scientists who discover a comet is hurtling towards earth and have trouble getting people to take the threat seriously.

I’ve just watched the latest Jimmy Carr stand up on Netflix. By Christ he pushes the envelope in terms of acceptable humour. Some proper laugh out loud moments as he goads the audience. Also some laugh out loud moments where you since a bit. 

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

Gunpowder Milkshake on Amazon Prime. 
Basically John Wick with women but an enjoyable enough ultra-violence romp. 

I watched that afew weeks ago.    Very good action scenes.    The fight scene on the wheelie chairs was excellent.    Some original stuff but aye it does resemble John wick terribly.    I'd still give it at least 8/10.    Entertaining. 

17 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

A Prayer Before Dawn

Brilliant. Joe Cole is mesmerising

10/10

This looks awesome, where can I watch it mate?

On 06/10/2021 at 18:40, Alan_R said:

Been getting slated everywhere

I liked it. Great action scenes. A few quips. Some gadgets. All the main ingredients gave it some really good moments.

Plot was a bit jumbled and a few of the casting seemed off. (New 00 agent absolute rubbish and childhood assassin didn't seem to be old enough later on)

Much preferred it to Skyfall though which came over like it loved itself, what a drawn out tedious pile of kack that was.

But then I also liked quantum of solace which benefited from some snappy action scenes and a shorter running time.

got the blue ray for xmas watching it now. only half way through and this feels like the worst I've seen...

Don't look up. Netflix.

Good idea, rubbish film and far too long for what actually happened. Must have some kind of sponsorship deal to advertise Ariana Grande because she is all over it for no good reason.

4/10

Edited by jambopilms

18 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Has anyone seen Speilberg's version of West Side story yet?

No but i want to. The original is pretty good only spoilt by dare i say the miscasting of both leads. Natalie Wood was a good actress but wasnt that great in this. The supporting cast were incredible with Rita Moreno deservedly winning an Oscar.  The new version almost looks like a carbon copy however the critics have praised the performances of both the leads and supporting cast, Ill get around to it soon. Rita is also in the remake. 

"Welcome to 2021" is so funny Its a great spoof of the year by an all star cast looking back on the last year. Hugh Grant is brilliant as David Starkey..( not explicitly saying it is him) and Tracy Ullman and Stockard Channing as well as the utterly hysterical Philomenia Cunk.  Well worth a watch. Its on Netflix

Hugh Grant is really growing on me now as an actor . In the last few years he has gave outstanding versatile performances.  

Well I certainly didn’t think my stand out film from the Christmas period was going to be Paddington 2. 
Brilliant fun and pulls off that difficult trick of making it work for kids and adults equally. 
It’s still on iPlayer if you want a real treat for all the family. 
9/10

Taxi Driver -

years since I saw it but got the 4K disc so gave it a spin. What a masterpiece this is.  Even after all these years it still has the same impact. De Niro really is superb in this. Some great names in it. Peter Boyle, Harvey Kietell, Cybill Shepherd and of course Jodie Foster. Classic

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Well I certainly didn’t think my stand out film from the Christmas period was going to be Paddington 2. 
Brilliant fun and pulls off that difficult trick of making it work for kids and adults equally. 
It’s still on iPlayer if you want a real treat for all the family. 
9/10

A great film. My opinion of Hugh Grant changed a lot after seeing him in this. Fabulous acting. 

Criminal on netflix starring Kevin Costner, Gary Oldman, Ryan Reynolds and Tommy Lee Jones. You'd think it would be amazing. Nah, meh as ****. 5.5/10

Last Night In Soho

6/10

Psychological thriller about a girl who moves to London to study fashion and gradually loses the plot, having disturbing, recurring visions from events in the 60s.

The lead actress' voice annoyed me.

The Hand of God, he knows how to catch the eye, and

The Power of the Dog, western with a twist,

... both at least 7/10s, both well worth your time.

19 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

No but i want to. The original is pretty good only spoilt by dare i say the miscasting of both leads. Natalie Wood was a good actress but wasnt that great in this. The supporting cast were incredible with Rita Moreno deservedly winning an Oscar.  The new version almost looks like a carbon copy however the critics have praised the performances of both the leads and supporting cast, Ill get around to it soon. Rita is also in the remake. 

Watched the original again last night.

I'm afraid I don't agree with you saying that Maria and Tony were miscast. I think they give very good performances, as do the whole cast.

Rita Moreno did indeed deserve her Oscar as Anita.

On 27/12/2021 at 19:46, jambopilms said:

Don't look up. Netflix.

Good idea, rubbish film and far too long for what actually happened. Must have some kind of sponsorship deal to advertise Ariana Grande because she is all over it for no good reason.

4/10

All over it for about 5 minutes of screen time.

The films okay. You'd expect a lot from such a strong cast but it's not trying to be Oscar worthy.

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

The films okay. You'd expect a lot from such a strong cast but it's not trying to be Oscar worthy.

I watched it last night. Jennifer Lawrence is such a good actress. The film was funny at times. Am i the only one who thinks Meryl Streep is overrated? 

William H. Bonney
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I watched it last night. Jennifer Lawrence is such a good actress. The film was funny at times. Am i the only one who thinks Meryl Streep is overrated? 

Mark rylance and Jonah hill were the standouts for me 

7 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

Mark rylance and Jonah hill were the standouts for me 

Oh yes they were great too 

6 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Just thought that she got to sing pretty much a whole song in the concert scene near the end, a song that she has released. No need to show a whole song, it added nothing to the film.

Don’t look up. Had a good laugh. Pre Trump you’d have thought it a bit preposterous. Post Trump not so much. Great cast. 

Edited by Jamhammer

46 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Don’t look up. Had a good laugh. Pre Trump you’d have thought it a bit preposterous. Post Trump not so much. Great cast. 

Had high expectations of this film, especially the cast and writer/director...but just think it fell short in a few areas.  6/10 for me.

2 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Watched it a couple of days ago. A bit hit & miss and overly long but 7/10 for me. 

The Babysitter on Netflix. Enjoyed that. She reminds me of my ex, sexy but nuts 😂 a decent film if you have an hour and a half to kill 6/10. 

luckyBatistuta

The Unforgivable

Mrs lB and myself thought this was not too bad, an enjoyable watch, nothing special though.

7.5/10

luckyBatistuta

The Big Short

We also watched this, a great cast.

Some utter scumbags in this world, a good watch though

8/10

Don't Look Up 2/10

Don't ****ing bother it's garbage.Now I don't mind garbage sometimes but when it's meant to be funny and not then nah.It is so up its own arse as well as it clearly think it's clever and witty but it just isn't 

If you want political satire it's a long long long way short of The Thick Of It.

Edited by vegas-voss

22 hours ago, Tazio said:

Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings on Disney+. I enjoyed it and some great action sequences. 

loved it.  Marvel films are the best escapism. 

4 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

Don't Look Up 2/10

Don't ****ing bother it's garbage.Now I don't mind garbage sometimes but when it's meant to be funny and not then nah.It is so up its own arse as well as it clearly think it's clever and witty but it just isn't 

If you want political satire it's a long long long way short of The Thick Of It.

terrible film. Such a good cast. wtf

15 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

terrible film. Such a good cast. wtf

Meryl Streep and Rylance where especially bad the rest done their best but I think the two I mentioned seen their lines and just didn't bother trying 🤣

HeartsandonlyHearts
On 19/12/2021 at 13:49, Cruyff said:

Castle for Christmas or some bollocks

1/10

1/10 is a good score.

Someone on the Netflix comment section wrote

”Netflix? what did Scotland ever do to you”

I watched 10 minutes and then left my American wife to it. She followed me upstairs about 10 minutes later.

”nope I can’t do it”

she said it got worse.

8 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

1/10 is a good score.

Someone on the Netflix comment section wrote

”Netflix? what did Scotland ever do to you”

I watched 10 minutes and then left my American wife to it. She followed me upstairs about 10 minutes later.

”nope I can’t do it”

she said it got worse.

It's all that "och aye the noo" pish. 

13 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

But that's  how we talk, och aye

What chance have you got when it's been pointed out on here that a guy from Edinburgh can't even get an Edinburgh accent right on screen in movies and films or is the Edinburgh accent just too fast so they have to over pronounce it and slow it down ?

On 30/12/2021 at 10:55, vegas-voss said:

Don't Look Up 2/10

I couldn't make up my mind as to whether it was bad comedy, or just plain bad.

With a superb cast it should have been excellent, but it wasn't.  Possibly DiCaprio's worst ever performance.  Your 2/10 sounds about right.

On 29/12/2021 at 23:22, The White Cockade said:

No Time to Die

Really enjoyed it

Really? Was such a departure from Bond that i was very non plussed. Woohoo its a progressive non Bond Bond film 

On 30/12/2021 at 15:00, luckyBatistuta said:

The Big Short

We also watched this, a great cast.

Some utter scumbags in this world, a good watch though

8/10

Watched that when it came out. I agree with the 8/10

The White Cockade
56 minutes ago, sadj said:

Really? Was such a departure from Bond that i was very non plussed. Woohoo its a progressive non Bond Bond film 

Thought it was great 

The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard on Amazon Prime. 
Just don’t. Bloody awful mess of a film. Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L Jackson literally phoning in their performances and Salma Hayek spending the whole film shouting her head off. It’s like the director just told them all to be bad. 

Ghosbusters: Afterlife , different , nice tie ins , some funny throwbacks , not going to be everyone’s cup of Spectral Goo but i enjoyed it 6.5-7/10