The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

Madjambo21

MORTAL KOMBAT

Reboot of the video game franchise.

Not a film you need a good story but it does deliver on great fighting scenes and plenty violence like the games.

If you like that sort of movie this is for you.

Also Kano steals all the scenes he is in.

8/10

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rudi must stay

• The Frenchman Returns

• Ray Gin

• Zico

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winter's Bone   Tough drama set in really small town USA (Ozark Mountains).   Really impressed at the performances in this - a few Oscar nominations at the time.   7.5/10

Posted Images

JamesM48
On 22/04/2021 at 14:41, i8hibsh said:

I thought this film was excellent.  I just watched it a few nights ago.  

I don't know if I am looking at this in too much detail but my only criticism is the 'narrative'.  I can't help feel this 'all men are rapists' and the 'college campus rape culture' narrative that we see constantly throughout media now is getting highly offensive.

That aside, I loved it, I thought she looked stunning with her blonde hair and expecially stunning as the nurse at the end.

8.8/10

It is an excellent film . She was exceptional in it. I dont think the film was saying " all men " were rapists but it was saying all men have the potential to be. There is a diference. In particular it was shown how when she pretended she was drunk the majority of men tried it on with her even though they assumed she was so drunk she was unable to consent. There were decent male characters in it  too like the lawyer ( a really fine cameo from Alfred Molina) . I cant understand why you find the college camp rape culture " narrative" highly offensive.? Shouldnt you be more offended about the rape culture per sa? 

JamesM48

"Mank"  with Gary Oldman and Amanda Seyfried.   This was not bad.  I enjoyed it. Its about the screen writer Herman Mankiewicz  and his input to the screenplay for the classic and incredible for its time film " Citizen Kane".  Its funny at times but more of a drama. Amanda Seyfried was great at the silent actress Marion Davies ( who was really unfairly maligned in the film Citizen Kane as a bimbo and no talent when in fact she was an exceptional comedy actress) . The film looks great and it really conjures up old Hollywood with its look and costumes etc.  Oldman really is such a great actor . Hard to beleive its the same actor as Oswald in " JFK" or Mason Verger in " Hannibal"  Doubt it will win the major Oscars though. Ive seen 4/5 Best actor nominees and Id still vote for Hopkins with Riz Ahmed a close second. 

milky_26
15 hours ago, Madjambo21 said:

MORTAL KOMBAT

Reboot of the video game franchise.

Not a film you need a good story but it does deliver on great fighting scenes and plenty violence like the games.

If you like that sort of movie this is for you.

Also Kano steals all the scenes he is in.

8/10

watched this last night, was one of those park your brain watches that was decent 6.5/10

it is clearly setting up for at least one sequel

Madjambo21
55 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

watched this last night, was one of those park your brain watches that was decent 6.5/10

it is clearly setting up for at least one sequel

Defo my sort of film then 😁

Read that the guy that plays sub zero (Joe Taslim) has signed on for 4 movies if the studio give it the green light

Stowaway 

New netflix film about an accidental stowaway on a manned mission to Mars. 

Really enjoyed it, had a good amount of tension and the acting was pretty decent. 7/10

1971fozzy
On 23/04/2021 at 20:49, Cruyff said:

A Star is Born on Netflix. Had never seen it before, absolutely loved it. Bradley Cooper is fantastic, Lady Gaga is even better. 10/10.

Superb film. Brilliant

rudi must stay

Sound Of Metal

Loved it. A commentary on our world at the moment, for the better and for the worse. It worked absolutely brilliantly and Riz Ahmed makes a tough shift look very easy. As for originality it is a very original piece of work, sit back relax and watch a great film on Amazon Prime and it gets a 10. I give too many some say but I love film

10/10

The Plank on iPlayer. Still funny after all those years and a classic British cast. 

Also Mortal Kombat.

Won't win any Oscar's. But a shit ton better than most stuff I've watched over lockdown.

7.5/10.

4 hours ago, Vansen said:

Stowaway 

Really enjoyed it, had a good amount of tension and the acting was pretty decent. 7/10

Bored the living piss out of me & the missus. Had she done a topless moonwalk, it wouldn't have been enough.

4/10.

Tommy Brown

Pieces of a Woman (Prime)

A harrowing tale of a loss of a child at birth.

Not for me, birth scene which took up a good early part of the film was very tense.

Story afterwards,  nah.

Official Secrets (Netflix)

True story of GCHQ worker, who leaked a memo to the Observer pre Iraq war.

Recommend, well put together.

i8hibsh
21 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I cant understand why you find the college camp rape culture " narrative" highly offensive.? Shouldnt you be more offended about the rape culture per sa? 

I wish this was a different thread as this thread is no place for my response but with the risk of being provocative all I will say is that although rape certainly exists, a 'culture' of it does not.

On 16/04/2021 at 21:19, Muppetboy said:

Nobody. Enjoyed better call Saul actor bob odenkirk as a badass former military man fighting against Russian bad guys. 7/10

Same score from me despite being so far fetched nonsense.

Enjoyable violent nonsense.

Muppetboy

1922. Decent film on Netflix about a family living on a Nebraska farm. Things turn sinister soon enough with good performances from the male lead

Muppetboy

1922. Decent film on Netflix about a family living on a Nebraska farm. Things turn sinister soon enough with good performances from the male lead. 6/10

JamesM48

Oscars on tonight good luck Sir Anthony Hopkins for “ the father “ and Carey Mulligan for “ Promising  young woman” . Doubt Hopkins will win but he should but good chance Mulligan will . Apparently she is near favourite but I think Frances Mcdormand ‘May which I haven’t a problem as she is terrific in “ Nomadland” think it will win best picture and director . 

16 hours ago, Muppetboy said:

1922. Decent film on Netflix about a family living on a Nebraska farm. Things turn sinister soon enough with good performances from the male lead. 6/10

I thought that was the most depressing film I'd ever seen. 

JamesM48

Great Oscar results.  Brilliant that Anthony Hopkins won for " The Father""  He was just incredible in this film and so deserved it. Good to see the academy not feel the pressure of certain groups to give the award to Chadwick Boseman  in " Ma raineys black bottom" just because he had died and possibly due to him being a man of colour. The award should be about the performance and nothing else. They got it right.  Shame Sir Anthony wasnt there to collect it in person as this was special moment for him but he probably felt it wasnt worth  attending. 

Frances Mcdormand a worthy best actress winner too, She now has 3 Best actress Oscars , one behind Katherine Hepburn ( who ironically won a couple out of sentiment and not performance).  Happy  that " Nomadland" won Best film and Best director . It is exceptional. 

The Midnight Sky

Netflix. Slow, thoughtful film about a space mission returning to an apocalyptic Earth. About 5 minutes in i didnt think I would enjoy this but kept with it and glad I did. Won't be for everyone though. 7/10

Tenaciousdandy

Watched the new mortal Kombat the other night, was OK for what it is, pretty gory and good fun

Got Nobody on now with Bob odenkirk, it's pretty entertaining for vigilante film 

Sputnik

Netflix. Really enjoyed this Russian language sci fi horror about a Cosmonaut returning to earth with an alien hitching a ride inside him. Quite a dark, gory film at times :behead:

7.5/10

Edited by Vansen

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling

On demand on Sky Documentaries
It's a 4 hour documentary directed and presented by Judd Apatow across 2 parts. I'd guess the 4hr part will put off any casual viewer but for anyone who watched and was a fan of The Garry Shandling Show, or The Larry Sanders Show then this is for you. It's a look at his life and works and is both very funny and brutally honest.

It's a 10/10 for any Garry Shandling fans and a wtf for those who aren't

1971fozzy

The Mule - Amazon Prime

clint Eastwood playing a drugs mule for a cartel. Predictable but decent. Amazing he’s still acting.

6/10

Ray Gin
On 23/04/2021 at 20:49, Cruyff said:

A Star is Born on Netflix. Had never seen it before, absolutely loved it. Bradley Cooper is fantastic, Lady Gaga is even better. 10/10.

Didn't think I'd like this but I gave it a shot. 7.5/10 from me, very decent. Was expecting it to be a bland love story tied with a pop star's rise to fame and with a crap soundtrack, but it's as much about a man's battles with alcoholism. Both leads were excellent. 

I was right about the soundtrack though. Not my cup of tea. 

News Of The World on Netflix. Set in Texas in the 1870’s with Tom Hanks as a man who goes from town to town reading newspapers to people who accidentally ends up looking after a young girl who has been brought up by the Kiowa Indians and needs returned to her white family. 
Very good film and one of those you watch where the casting is perfect, it could only have been Tom Hanks. The young girl is fantastic as well. 
A solid 8/10 from me. 

JamesM48
6 hours ago, Tazio said:

News Of The World on Netflix. Set in Texas in the 1870’s with Tom Hanks as a man who goes from town to town reading newspapers to people who accidentally ends up looking after a young girl who has been brought up by the Kiowa Indians and needs returned to her white family. 
Very good film and one of those you watch where the casting is perfect, it could only have been Tom Hanks. The young girl is fantastic as well. 
A solid 8/10 from me. 

I really like Tom Hanks as an actor . He’s just so natural . 

Madjambo21
On 24/04/2021 at 20:23, Vansen said:

Stowaway 

Liked the premise of the film but thought it was a bit dull.

Plus points were good acting and music score but disappointing ending. 5.5/10

If you like a good space film with drama I'd suggest watching Sunshine with Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans amongst others. 8/10

JamesM48
On 28/04/2021 at 23:54, Ray Gin said:

Didn't think I'd like this but I gave it a shot. 7.5/10 from me, very decent. Was expecting it to be a bland love story tied with a pop star's rise to fame and with a crap soundtrack, but it's as much about a man's battles with alcoholism. Both leads were excellent. 

I was right about the soundtrack though. Not my cup of tea. 

Yes it’s not bad . Lady Gaga proving she can act after her controversial performance in American horror story . A good version of a classic story . Judy Garland version still the best though in my pinion . Barbra Streisand version is just dire. 

On 29/04/2021 at 02:33, Tazio said:

A solid 8/10 from me. 

Watched this a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it, 9/10 from me!

1971fozzy

Unforgiven - on disc

clint Eastwood in fine form. That final shootout scene is awesome. Great music and cinematography as well as Gene Hackman playing a bad ass sheriff. No wonder it swept up at the oscars in 1992 (was it that long ago jeez)

Harry Potter

Blumhouses Fantasy Island, Sky Cinema, 2020,   8/10,    not bad, worth a watch.

Vansen

Without Remorse

Amazon. Michael B Jordan stars in this adaptation of Tom Clancy's novel. Jordan is all in performance wise, but you never shake the feeling you have seen it all before. Good not great. 6/10

rudi must stay

Nomadland

My thoughts on it are it's an original film (the Nomad lifestyle has never been depicted on the big screen) and I had no problems with it from an editing and continuity point of view. I just found it depressing and dull

6/10

Ritchez
Posted (edited)

Collateral (2004) - 7.5/10

Got immediate Heat vibes from this - another enjoyable Michael Mann film.

Not as good as Heat, but a very worthwhile watch nonetheless. Tom Cruise plays an excellent villain.

Edited by Ritchez
Rave MacPherson
20 hours ago, Vansen said:

Without Remorse

Amazon. Michael B Jordan stars in this adaptation of Tom Clancy's novel. Jordan is all in performance wise, but you never shake the feeling you have seen it all before. Good not great. 6/10

I watched that yesterday as well. Average film, some decent action but it just didn't really seem to start properly. I was surprised when it ended, thinking there should have been more to come! 

jim747

Nomadland, 6/10 not as good as I hoped it would be.

Muppetboy

Crawl, 6/10. Teenage girl tries to find her dad during a hurricane and the presence of alligators don’t help matters. Really decent effects, overall not too bad

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Muppetboy said:

Crawl, 6/10. Teenage girl tries to find her dad during a hurricane and the presence of alligators don’t help matters. Really decent effects, overall not too bad

That synopsis certainly isn’t selling it🤣🤣🤣

Muppetboy
39 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

That synopsis certainly isn’t selling it🤣🤣🤣

I know it’s a bleak set of circumstances 😱😂

Vansen

Relic

Amazon (99p rental). This film has been raved about. Half way through i was restless and wondering what the fuss was about. However, the the second half is decent and the decaying house, and person, is really well shot, if bleak, with a reasonably poignant ending. 6/10 

Muppetboy
10 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Things heard and seen. Netflix. Had high hopes for this haunted house drama, turned out to be shit. 4/10

Weakened Offender
19 hours ago, Vansen said:

Relic

Amazon (99p rental). This film has been raved about. Half way through i was restless and wondering what the fuss was about. However, the the second half is decent and the decaying house, and person, is really well shot, if bleak, with a reasonably poignant ending. 6/10 

I thought it was excellent. The young lassie was brilliant in it and the ending was horrifically heartbreaking. 

Weakened Offender
On 27/04/2021 at 18:36, Vansen said:

Sputnik

Netflix. Really enjoyed this Russian language sci fi horror about a Cosmonaut returning to earth with an alien hitching a ride inside him. Quite a dark, gory film at times :behead:

7.5/10

Definitely worth a watch, I enjoyed it. 

The Frenchman Returns

Casuals: The Story of the Legendary Terrace Fashion 

6.5/10

interesting enough documentary that focussed more on the fashion than violence. Completely spoilt by 2 Motherwell knobends 

available on Amazon Prime

The Frenchman Returns

The Frank Matthews Story

7/10

Supposedly the black drug dealing king in the early 70s. Documentary telling of his rise and subsequent disappearance off the face of the earth with a huge sum of money. Loved the stories around his gang v the Italians. As many of the contributors were old associates, who had clearly sampled the goods, some of it had to be taken with a pinch of salt. 

available on Amazon Prime

Harry Potter

Unhinged, 2020, Sky Cinema,  Russell Crowe  as a very angry man, 😮, 7/10.

Bleedsmaroon
12 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

Unhinged, 2020, Sky Cinema,  Russell Crowe  as a very angry man, 😮, 7/10.

Not to mention a very fat man, wtf!!??