The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

No problem Lucky. I have now watched 4 of the 5 nominations and only Carey Mulligan has been a stand out for me. They also excluded Rosamund Pike (GG winner for I care a lot) from the list. In my opinion 2 on the list are lazy picks.

She is a brilliant actress. Thought ‘I Care a Lot’ was a really good movie too. Going to give Carey Mulligan a watch next, just can’t watch it on my iPad, as I only have Netflix and Prime on it.

Disser Pointon
8 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cheers for steering me in the direction of this FR. The film was almost two hours long, yet I was gutted when it finished, as I was enjoying it that much. Yet another cracking movie from Ron Howard. Some of the acting performances in this film are an absolute joy. I am totally gobsmacked that Amy Adams has been snubbed for a best actress Oscar nomination for this movie. I haven’t seen any of the other roles by the nominees, but they must be incredible for her to not even be in the running. A great movie, loved it.

9/10

What is this showing on?

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

What is this showing on?

Promising Young Woman is released on Sky Cinema and NOW on 16 April.

I managed to get it on a streaming site a couple of weeks ago. 

Hillbilly Elegy is Netflix 

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

Shanks said no

Judas and the Black Messiah

3/10

Nominated for 6 Oscars, including Best Picture and 2 for best supporting actor. As can be seen from my rating I really didn't like it! The story relates to Fred Hampton and the Black Panthers. The biggest problems I had were the dialogue, I felt I struggled throughout to catch what they were saying and I also knew the story so there were no great surprises.

Maybe just post QoS blues and others may get something from it.

Watched via stream on f2 movies

Tommy Brown
On 22/03/2021 at 22:10, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hillbilly Elegy

8/10

Rarely go wrong with a Ron Howard film and this didn't let me down. Hard hitting drama about a Yale law student trying to make good and shake off / come to terms with his family. Some great performances.

And yes its up for 2 Oscars, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Glenn Close and Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling

Hillbilly Elegy (Netflix)

Thanks for this one, a good, enjoyable watch. 

Edited by Tommy Brown

Greta

6.5/10

(Netflix)

Thriller about a young woman (Chloe Grace Moretz) strikes up a friendship with an older woman who turns out to be a bit of a psycho who starts stalking her. Not bad. 

I rented Wonder Woman 1984 from Amazon so I could make my own mind up as I’ve seen reviews from totally different ends of the spectrum. 

What a car crash of a film. It even appears that different directors have done different bits. The CGI swings from impressive to downright poor, one bit of her running being particularly funny. Terrible dialogue and some glaring errors that should never have got past first draft of the script. And stretches of the imagination that even a child would question. And possibly the most anti climactic final takedown of the main bad guy ever. 
I’m really not sure what they were trying to achieve with this film, it’s not good enough to be a good adventure film and not clever enough to be a film that gets a message across. The opening action sequence looks like it actually was made in 1984, if that was the idea why not continue that way? 

Spoiler

A particularly funny bit being that her back from the dead WWI pilot boyfriend can get into a modern fighter and fly it. And fly it all the way to Egypt without refuelling. Also one of those fighters with side by side seats like a two seater car. Oh and no flying suits, oxygen, or helmets. And a nice quiet jet that they can chat to each other as they fly in it. 

Tommy Brown
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I rented Wonder Woman 1984 from Amazon so I could make my own mind up as I’ve seen reviews from totally different ends of the spectrum. 

What a car crash of a film. It even appears that different directors have done different bits. The CGI swings from impressive to downright poor, one bit of her running being particularly funny. Terrible dialogue and some glaring errors that should never have got past first draft of the script. And stretches of the imagination that even a child would question. And possibly the most anti climactic final takedown of the main bad guy ever. 
I’m really not sure what they were trying to achieve with this film, it’s not good enough to be a good adventure film and not clever enough to be a film that gets a message across. The opening action sequence looks like it actually was made in 1984, if that was the idea why not continue that way? 

Hide contents

A particularly funny bit being that her back from the dead WWI pilot boyfriend can get into a modern fighter and fly it. And fly it all the way to Egypt without refuelling. Also one of those fighters with side by side seats like a two seater car. Oh and no flying suits, oxygen, or helmets. And a nice quiet jet that they can chat to each other as they fly in it. 

So a 👍 for Wonder Woman 1984.

Thanks for the recommendation. 

4 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

So a 👍 for Wonder Woman 1984.

Thanks for the recommendation. 

You’ll love it. Best fiver I’ve spent in a long time. 

Carl Fredrickson
On 22/03/2021 at 22:10, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hillbilly Elegy

8/10

Rarely go wrong with a Ron Howard film and this didn't let me down. Hard hitting drama about a Yale law student trying to make good and shake off / come to terms with his family. Some great performances.

And yes its up for 2 Oscars, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Glenn Close and Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling

Thanks for the recommendation, watched it last night and it was very good. 

jack D and coke

Netflix Documentary Seaspiracy.

Pretty alarming stuff about the fishing industry and how the oceans are being cleaned out and also how it affects the environment. 
Travels all over the world and every country is behaving disgracefully. 

20 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Pretty alarming stuff about the fishing industry and how the oceans are being cleaned out and also how it affects the environment. 

Watched this last night. Bleak. :(

31 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Truly is man...

I really wish I hadn't seen the bit about the Scottish Salmon farms. I love salmon. 

jack D and coke
23 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I really wish I hadn't seen the bit about the Scottish Salmon farms. I love salmon. 

All of it was pretty stomach turning. I’d heard about that before tbh though. So much overfishing going on, the Hong Kong Chinese need sorted out an all before there’s not a shark left. 

Shanks said no

The Father

10/10

A tough nights viewing tonight having watched the excellent Jack Charlton documentary and then we decide to watch a film about the confusion of a father suffering from dementia. However life isn't all sweetness and light, anyone who has elderly family will recognise this. Anyway to the film, Mrs F and I sat spellbound for 97 minutes and watched a heartbreaking masterpiece. If Hopkins ever puts in a better performance I will be astounded. 

It is up for 6 Oscars, Best Picture, Best Actor, Anthony Hopkins, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Olivia Colman, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Achievement in Film Editing and Best Achievement in Production Design.

Unsure when it will be officially released in the UK but we watched on f 2 movies.

Tommy Brown
11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Dont think I want to watch it, my son told me about it. I like a bit salmon.

Also previous documentary Cowspiracy

jack D and coke
18 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Dont think I want to watch it, my son told me about it. I like a bit salmon.

Also previous documentary Cowspiracy

There’s an even worse one to watch called Earthlings if you really want to be appalled. 
Seaspiracy isn’t as grim as that but it’s worth a watch. You need to know this stuff. 
People need to stop eating fish. And quick. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

There’s an even worse one to watch called Earthlings if you really want to be appalled. 
Seaspiracy isn’t as grim as that but it’s worth a watch. You need to know this stuff. 

:sob:

Ron Burgundy
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I thought I was helping out by eating more fish and less red meat.

jack D and coke
55 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

:lol: seems fish are more the pressing concern going by this documentary. 
The labels on all the produce about being sustainable are nonsense. They have no idea who is doing what, they people responsible for monitoring admitted it. 

jack D and coke
55 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

:lol: seems fish are more the pressing concern going by this documentary. 
The labels on all the produce about being sustainable are nonsense. They have no idea who is doing what, they people responsible for monitoring admitted it. 

Shanks said no

Mank

5/10

Just didn't like it. Reminded me of watching La La Land which I found similarly self indulgent Hollywood twaddle. Its a biographical film about screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz and his development of the screenplay for Citizen Kane. Once again I will probably be proved wrong and it will sweep the Oscars as its up for 10 including Best Motion Picture , Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, Gary Oldman, Directing, Actress in a Supporting Role, Amanda Seyfried, Best Sound, Production Design, Original Score, Makeup and Hairstyling, Costume Design and  Cinematography.

Available on Netflix

Oh and why in black and white?

rudi must stay
16 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mank

5/10

Just didn't like it. Reminded me of watching La La Land which I found similarly self indulgent Hollywood twaddle. Its a biographical film about screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz and his development of the screenplay for Citizen Kane. Once again I will probably be proved wrong and it will sweep the Oscars as its up for 10 including Best Motion Picture , Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role, Gary Oldman, Directing, Actress in a Supporting Role, Amanda Seyfried, Best Sound, Production Design, Original Score, Makeup and Hairstyling, Costume Design and  Cinematography.

Available on Netflix

Great poster 

Shanks said no
3 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Great poster 

Mank (2020) - IMDb

and congratulations on your 1,000th post on this thread

7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Finding Jack Charlton on Iplayer

Absolutely fantastic film. 10/10

Good but very sad at times. 

Goon 2. Enjoyed the first one so thought I’d see what the sequel was like. Not as good as the first one but entertaining enough, 6.5/10

Carl Fredrickson
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Good but very sad at times. 

I found it quite emotional. A lot of memories of the Irish team and our own Gary Mackay got mentioned. 

Shanks said no

The United States vs. Billie Holiday

7.5/10

A biopic about Lady Day and her constant battle with the US government stemming from the song Strange Fruit. To quote Jimmy Fletcher: Despite all of the shit in her life, she's made something of herself and you can't take it because she's strong, beautiful and black.

A special mention for Leslie Jordan, he light up the screen. 

Oscar nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role, Andra Day.

Have now watched all 5 nominees and I would have her as my second favourite after Carey Mulligan 

JudyJudyJudy
On 26/03/2021 at 22:29, luckyBatistuta said:

Cheers for steering me in the direction of this FR. The film was almost two hours long, yet I was gutted when it finished, as I was enjoying it that much. Yet another cracking movie from Ron Howard. Some of the acting performances in this film are an absolute joy. I am totally gobsmacked that Amy Adams has been snubbed for a best actress Oscar nomination for this movie. I haven’t seen any of the other roles by the nominees, but they must be incredible for her to not even be in the running. A great movie, loved it.

9/10

I haven’t watched this yet but surely it’s Glenn Close year to finally win an Oscar ? Even if it’s best supporting actress ? How she never won for one of my favourite films “ Dangerous liaisons “ I’ll never know . Same with Amy Adams . I’ll need to give this a watch  

On 30/03/2021 at 00:21, The Frenchman Returns said:

The Father

10/10

A tough nights viewing tonight having watched the excellent Jack Charlton documentary and then we decide to watch a film about the confusion of a father suffering from dementia. However life isn't all sweetness and light, anyone who has elderly family will recognise this. Anyway to the film, Mrs F and I sat spellbound for 97 minutes and watched a heartbreaking masterpiece. If Hopkins ever puts in a better performance I will be astounded. 

It is up for 6 Oscars, Best Picture, Best Actor, Anthony Hopkins, Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Olivia Colman, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Achievement in Film Editing and Best Achievement in Production Design.

Unsure when it will be officially released in the UK but we watched on f 2 movies.

Big fan of sir Anthony and he surely deserves a second Oscar . Another one robbed for “ the remains of the day “  Howard’s end” and “ shadowlands “. But did win for the superb “ silence of the lambs “ im

not much of a fan of Olivia Coleman ?  Can’t get the love for her . She better not deprive Close of the Oscar again ! However it’s worth noting that some legendary fine talents never won an Oscar , Barbara Stanwyck , Garbo , Irene Dunne , Cary Grant , Deborah Kerr , Chaplin and Welles for their main talents ( directing and acting ) 

23 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mank

5/10

Available on Netflix

Oh this looks great . “ citizen Kane “ really is Incredible film . I let was Ahead of its time 

15 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The United States vs. Billie Holiday

7.5/10

A biopic about Lady Day and her constant battle with the US government stemming from the song Strange Fruit. To quote Jimmy Fletcher: Despite all of the shit in her life, she's made something of herself and you can't take it because she's strong, beautiful and black.

A special mention for Leslie Jordan, he light up the screen. 

Oscar nomination for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role, Andra Day.

Have now watched all 5 nominees and I would have her as my second favourite after Carey Mulligan 

I do fancy this so I’ll need to get round to watching it . Love Lady day . Beautiful woman and voice 

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I haven’t watched this yet but surely it’s Glenn Close year to finally win an Oscar ? Even if it’s best supporting actress ? How she never won for one of my favourite films “ Dangerous liaisons “ I’ll never know . Same with Amy Adams . I’ll need to give this a watch  

Big fan of sir Anthony and he surely deserves a second Oscar . Another one robbed for “ the remains of the day “  Howard’s end” and “ shadowlands “. But did win for the superb “ silence of the lambs “ im

not much of a fan of Olivia Coleman ?  Can’t get the love for her . She better not deprive Close of the Oscar again ! However it’s worth noting that some legendary fine talents never won an Oscar , Barbara Stanwyck , Garbo , Irene Dunne , Cary Grant , Deborah Kerr , Chaplin and Welles for their main talents ( directing and acting ) 

Oh this looks great . “ citizen Kane “ really is Incredible film . I let was Ahead of its time 

I do fancy this so I’ll need to get round to watching it . Love Lady day . Beautiful woman and voice 

On Close - have watched 4 of 5 nominees, started watching Minari but wasn’t concentrating enough for the subtitles. If it were to be judged on acting then it’s hers by a mile, although she did remind me spookily of my Granny! Coleman is marmite but on this occasion plays it low key, might be what they are looking for as a supporting actress. If she wins then Hopkins has to as well. 

rudi must stay
7 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Mank (2020) - IMDb

and congratulations on your 1,000th post on this thread

👍 Appreciated 

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

On Close - have watched 4 of 5 nominees, started watching Minari but wasn’t concentrating enough for the subtitles. If it were to be judged on acting then it’s hers by a mile, although she did remind me spookily of my Granny! Coleman is marmite but on this occasion plays it low key, might be what they are looking for as a supporting actress. If she wins then Hopkins has to as well. 

I’m going to watch the close film in the next few days and also “ nomadland” with the great Frances McDormand I. Note u haven’t mentioned her in the Oscars race but she must be in with a chance ? 

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I’m going to watch the close film in the next few days and also “ nomadland” with the great Frances McDormand I. Note u haven’t mentioned her in the Oscars race but she must be in with a chance ? 

On 06/03/2021 at 20:45, The Frenchman Returns said:

Nomadland 

4/10

Carrying on with watching nominees for Best motion picture - drama, at this years Golden Globes, we watched the winner. 

obviously going out on a limb here but I thought it was awful and thoroughly depressing. Would have scored lower but wife felt it was ok. 

had elements of Fargo (which I loved) but lacked the novel quirkiness. Also stars Frances McDormand. 

Will be interested to see if I am alone. 

@JamesM48 watched prior to golden globes, think you need to be in the mood for it, I obviously wasn’t

Might not have been prior to golden globes

JudyJudyJudy
34 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

@JamesM48 watched prior to golden globes, think you need to be in the mood for it, I obviously wasn’t

Yes I have put off watchin it for some time as you rightly say “ Need to be in mood “ for it ,  but anything with her is worth watching 

JudyJudyJudy
34 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Yes I have put off watchin it for some time as you rightly say “ Need to be in mood “ for it ,  but anything with her is worth watching 

luckyBatistuta
17 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

I’ve not seen any of the other nominees, but her performance is definitely worthy of one. Amy Adams not even getting a nomination is an absolute joke imo.

rudi must stay

Blinded By The Light

I thought this was going to be another low budget musical. You know full of Ponce like Sing Street and making your dreams happen with the character being very annoyimh. Not at all this is an excellent film that in its 2 hours covers alot of ground, sometimes goes unexpected directions and makes a star out of the main character in my opinion and has a great turn from his Dad who is absolutely on it acting wise. Give it a shot on Netflix. It'll put a smile on your face as well

10/10

luckyBatistuta
7 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

The Mexican

On Netflix. Really strong film

10/10

No idea how I missed this one for the last 20 years. Thought I’d give it a go, for the fact you gave it a 10 and I generally enjoy Brad Pitt’s films. Thought it was good film, not one of his best, but still really enjoyed it with some real lol moments thrown in.

7.5/10

Shoplifters of the world , 9/10 just for the soundtrack 

movies on demand

the Smiths ...like them? You’ll like this, don’t like them ,don’t switch on 

Shanks said no

Minari

7/10

I thought it was just interesting however Mrs F really liked it. Korean family settling in rural Arkansas in the 80's. I couldn't see past Glenn from the Walking Dead being the lead and up for a best actor Oscar. It was a decent cultural experience and with Brad Pitt's involvement may be an Oscar contender, just not for me. Up for 6 Oscars - Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor for Yeun, Best Supporting Actress for Youn and Best Original Score.

Subtitles and I picked it up on f 2 movies

ArcticJambo
9 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Movies I've watched in the last few weeks. Oscar related ...

Nomadland

Mank

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Promising Young Woman

One Night in Miami

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

Hillbilly Elegy

Another Round (Druk - Binge Drinking in Danish :lol: )

I'm going to try and get to Minari, and The Father after your review. I wanted to watch the rest of the Best Picture nominees but frankly they just sound a bit meh.

Anyway, I was surprised at your scoring of Mank; for me it's the standout!  It looks fantastic, Director Fincher continually has the angles/shots changing and the dialogue is sharp. Oldman is perhaps a bit too one-dimensional but nevertheless, he performs well and Seyfried in the female support role is fantastic, an absolute natural. I genuinely hope she wins the gong though I wouldn't be averse to Close winning it. I thought Adams was better, mind. Hillbilly got utterly panned by the critics, think they just didn't get it, probably linking it in with the book's author going a bit Trumpian. I thought Howard dropped the politics and went for something most families can identify with and I think it resonated with the viewers. It did with me.

That Best Leading Female category is absolutely stacked; loved Viola Davis' role but whie a lead it was more akin to a supporting role in this movie. For that reason I'd probably have Andra Day then - the part did require her to be fully immersed.  Wrt Carey Mulligan and Promising Young Woman, I'm just not getting it tbqh. It had a 50s US candy store feel to it like a dank Friends. Nomadland looked great (how could it not with the backdrop available to Zhao) but it screamed documentary interspersed with bits where actors crossed the divide, and I quickly became aware of this and it then became a theme for me throughout. McDormand really didn't say much throughtout but she did come across as both sympathetic/empathetic and ultimately we find out imo ***SPOILER*** go to next paragraph that she did things her way anyway.

Trial of Chicago 7 I enjoyed as a story but nominations for Oscars, ha havin' a laugh. I think Odom Jr. as support in One Night in Miami has a good chance; for me he was the standout in the film.  Finally a wee nod out to Druk, or Another Round a Danish film centred on four middle aged male teachers who find inspiration at the bottom of a bottle, at work, initially anyway.  It's up for best International feature. White men though, eek!

As I said at the onset, and you refer to the typically successtul  Oscar film of yesteryear Mr French, I think Mank would fall into this category and do well. That was then! This year has seen a shift to diversify so tbqh I haven't the foggiest. Still, a lot of good performances out there so all will be good. :thumbsup:

Edited by ArcticJambo

The Mauritanian. (Amazon Prime) true story about a man accused of helping one of the 9/11 hijackers and held without charge in Guantanamo Bay. Excellent thought provoking drama 8/10