The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Furious Styles said:

The first film to give me nightmares, although I did watch it when I was 10. 

Yes it’s a classic 

13 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

That Sinking Feeling

What a gem of a film. Thoroughly enjoyed it

10/10

Watched that a few months back.

Loved it in its day and loved it now.

Restless Natives i liked as well back in the day but not for me now.

Judge Fudge

The Invisible Guest (Netflix)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Spanish thriller about a business man who wakes up in a hotel room beside his dead mistress.                                                   Great movie with more than a tip of the hat to Hitchcock, couldn't fault anything, superb.                                                              10/10

4 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

The Invisible Guest (Netflix)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Spanish thriller about a business man who wakes up in a hotel room beside his dead mistress.                                                   Great movie with more than a tip of the hat to Hitchcock, couldn't fault anything, superb.                                                              10/10

Sounds good, I'll be watching this tonight. 

Dredd, 5/10. Just felt like an average b movie. Quite violent as was mentioned previously on the thread.  Didn’t ever felt any more than average

11 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

Enjoyed this. 8/10 from me. 

Shanks said no

The White Tiger

9/10

Following on with my Oscars nominee viewings we watched this on Netflix tonight. Its nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay for Ramin Bahrani. A refreshing Indian film that was thought provoking and interesting. Slight shades of Parasite. A dirt poor boy moves to the big city and how he makes good. After a year of lockdown it made me want to travel again and see the world.

Dredd, 5/10. Just felt like an average b movie. Quite violent as was mentioned previously on the thread.  Didn’t ever felt any more than average

luckyBatistuta
On 20/03/2021 at 12:18, Judge Fudge said:

Just finished it. A great recommendation from yourself. I thought it was a really good film, but wouldn’t give it quite as high a score.

8/10

Judge Fudge
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Just finished it. A great recommendation from yourself. I thought it was a really good film, but wouldn’t give it quite as high a score.

8/10

Glad you enjoyed it, “The Body” by the same director is just as good.

3 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Into The Wild

10 minutes was enough. A lot of arty farty rubbish

1/10

it is a true story

rudi must stay
6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

it is a true story

It's not even a story. Just a guy wandering around in the woods angrily 

16 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

It's not even a story. Just a guy wandering around in the woods angrily 

In that case you’ve only watched the very start. The wilderness is a small part of the film in terms of his journey. 

Edited by Tazio

zack snyders justice league directors cut - 6.5/10 

still felt it was trying too hard to match the avengers but it is so much better than the joss whedon pish cut from a couple of years ago.

yes it is just short of 4 hours but it at least develops the characters both good and bad and it shows how it was set to be the beginning of a series just like the mcu

Shanks said no

Pieces of a Woman

7/10

Still on my Oscar nominee theme, tonight we watched this as Vanessa Kirby is up for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. I don't want to post any spoilers but I didn't have a clue what this was about, other than its up for an award. Its very deep and emotional, dealing with tragic loss and not my cup of tea at this time. Just way too heavy and depressing.

Carl Fredrickson
54 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

zack snyders justice league directors cut - 6.5/10 

still felt it was trying too hard to match the avengers but it is so much better than the joss whedon pish cut from a couple of years ago.

yes it is just short of 4 hours but it at least develops the characters both good and bad and it shows how it was set to be the beginning of a series just like the mcu

Watched this over the last two nights with my 10 year old. I am not a huge superhero fan and my son is Marvel daft. I did enjoy the Batman trilogy and the Joker and have watched most (if not all) of the MCU films. 

We havent watched many DC films but this was a decent watch. Like you I saw the similarities to Avengers but it must be hard to be original. At the end of the film my son asked for marks out of 10, I went for 7 and he went for 8 which is high praise as he is a massive Marvel fan who doesnt like DC. 

Kennedy Bakircioglu
21 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Into The Wild

10 minutes was enough. A lot of arty farty rubbish

1/10

Rudi hands out 10/10 scores seemingly based on the fact he finished the film and watched the whole thing. Along comes a genuinely excellent film and he marks it a 1/10! 🤷‍♂️

Definitely worth re-watching @rudi must stay👍

rudi must stay
1 hour ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Rudi hands out 10/10 scores seemingly based on the fact he finished the film and watched the whole thing. Along comes a genuinely excellent film and he marks it a 1/10! 🤷‍♂️

You're actually not wrong 

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

You're actually not wrong 

I hand out 10s if I feel inspired by the film. I also bare in mind originality, I look for original films. Anyway I will watch it again 👍

2 hours ago, Kennedy Bakircioglu said:

Agreed. Good film. 7.5/10 from me.

rudi must stay

Beats

Movies to me shouldn't tell you how to live your life. They shouldn't simply improve it. When this film hits from, ##£# me it hits form. It's available on iPlayer

10/10

53 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Beats

Movies to me shouldn't tell you how to live your life. They shouldn't simply improve it. When this film hits from, ##£# me it hits form. It's available on iPlayer

10/10

Another film based on a play. It was originally a one man show telling the story that the writer then got given the chance to make it into a film backed by Steven Soderbergh. 

Welcome To Sudden Death:  Michael Jai White stars. 

3/10

Suppose to be a remake of the Jean Claude van damme movie sudden death.  Only it is at a basketball stadium not ice hockey.    It is a personal rating.   I think alot of folk might rate it higher.  I just didn't feel impressed with it. 

It has a decent amount of fighting action scenes.   Modern ideas.   Violent scenes.   Comedy, not sure if it was as spoof comedy at times.   

Give it a go you might like it.   You might also get a better piece of entertainment from watching the original, I think it's way better.   I would rate it 8/10.

Edited by HMFC01

Shanks said no

Hillbilly Elegy

8/10

Rarely go wrong with a Ron Howard film and this didn't let me down. Hard hitting drama about a Yale law student trying to make good and shake off / come to terms with his family. Some great performances.

And yes its up for 2 Oscars, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Glenn Close and Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Beats

10/10

I gave up on this after 20 minutes. 

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Beats

10/10

I gave up on this after 20 minutes. 

Blood and bone. Got excited about this after watching a clip on Facebook. Looked like being an excellent martial arts film. Turned out to be not great, fighting scenes were good but the rest of it just fell flat. Dude who was the main man looked built and his moves were top class though. 5/10

Papillon (Amazon Prime)

6/10

Remake of the 1973 film based on the book of the same name, based on a true-ish story about French criminals who are sent to a prison camp in Guiana. Stars Charlie Hunnam (who bizarrely puts on an American accent when he's playing a Frenchman) and Remi Malek (I don't even know what his accent is meant to be). Decent enough, but not as good as the original with McQueen & Hoffman.

Edited by Ray Gin

43 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Papillon (Amazon Prime)

6/10

Remake of the 1973 film based on the book of the same name, based on a true-ish story about French criminals who are sent to a prison camp in Guiana. Stars Charlie Hunnam (who bizarrely puts on an American accent when he's playing a Frenchman) and Remi Malek (I don't even know what his accent is meant to be). Decent enough, but not as good as the original with McQueen & Hoffman.

Classic example of a remake that isn’t needed. I got so bored recently I watched the remake of Ben Hur. Who the hell gave that the green light? One of the most famous films of all time that was nominated for about a dozen Oscars, and one that doesn’t need remade. It’s rare for a remake to be as good as or surpass the original. Off the top of my head True Grit is the one I can think of. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Classic example of a remake that isn’t needed. I got so bored recently I watched the remake of Ben Hur. Who the hell gave that the green light? One of the most famous films of all time that was nominated for about a dozen Oscars, and one that doesn’t need remade. It’s rare for a remake to be as good as or surpass the original. Off the top of my head True Grit is the one I can think of. 

I really enjoyed True Grit, The Departed and 3:10 to Yuma, which I know are all remakes, but I haven't seen the originals to compare.

Tenaciousdandy

watching monster hunter, no idea what it will be like lol expecting similar to the resi films style action from Milla Jovovich

JudyJudyJudy
16 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Papillon (Amazon Prime)

6/10

Why oh why do they remake classic films ?? They are classics for a reason . This one sounds awful . The remake of “ Murder on the orient express “ was well Murder 

15 hours ago, Tazio said:

Never heard that this has been remade ! Mind you any one can out act the very wood Chuck Heston in my view . The original was a great film despite him 

14 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

I really enjoyed True Grit, The Departed and 3:10 to Yuma, which I know are all remakes, but I haven't seen the originals to compare.

Yes the remake of “ True grit “ was excellent I do admit , mainly due to one of my all time favourite actors Jeff Bridges . I really liked “ 350 to Yuma “ too with I think one of the best current actors Russell Crowe 

Ron Burgundy
48 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Why oh why do they remake classic films ?? They are classics for a reason . This one sounds awful . The remake of “ Murder on the orient express “ was well Murder 

Never heard that this has been remade ! Mind you any one can out act the very wood Chuck Heston in my view . The original was a great film despite him 

Yes the remake of “ True grit “ was excellent I do admit , mainly due to one of my all time favourite actors Jeff Bridges . I really liked “ 350 to Yuma “ too with I think one of the best current actors Russell Crowe 

Didn't realise their trains ran so frequently.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Didn't realise their trains ran so frequently.

Lol 

JudyJudyJudy

On the subject of remakes “ The thing”  1982 was brilliant in fact better than the original . The same with “ invasion of the body snatchers “ “ Scarface “ “ the fly” and “ sorcerer” which was remake of the french classic “ wages of fear “ 

Hector Riva

Six minutes to midnight. Eddie Izard and Judy Dench. Switched aff. Zzzzz 60mins

Song bird. Covid 23 lockdown. Done my heid in.  Rapid camera  filming. Way too much for me. Look ok tho. Getting old lol

Edited by Hector Riva

luckyBatistuta
On 22/03/2021 at 22:10, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hillbilly Elegy

8/10

Rarely go wrong with a Ron Howard film and this didn't let me down. Hard hitting drama about a Yale law student trying to make good and shake off / come to terms with his family. Some great performances.

And yes its up for 2 Oscars, Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Glenn Close and Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling

Cheers for steering me in the direction of this FR. The film was almost two hours long, yet I was gutted when it finished, as I was enjoying it that much. Yet another cracking movie from Ron Howard. Some of the acting performances in this film are an absolute joy. I am totally gobsmacked that Amy Adams has been snubbed for a best actress Oscar nomination for this movie. I haven’t seen any of the other roles by the nominees, but they must be incredible for her to not even be in the running. A great movie, loved it.

9/10

Shanks said no
51 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Cheers for steering me in the direction of this FR. The film was almost two hours long, yet I was gutted when it finished, as I was enjoying it that much. Yet another cracking movie from Ron Howard. Some of the acting performances in this film are an absolute joy. I am totally gobsmacked that Amy Adams has been snubbed for a best actress Oscar nomination for this movie. I haven’t seen any of the other roles by the nominees, but they must be incredible for her to not even be in the running. A great movie, loved it.

9/10

No problem Lucky. I have now watched 4 of the 5 nominations and only Carey Mulligan has been a stand out for me. They also excluded Rosamund Pike (GG winner for I care a lot) from the list. In my opinion 2 on the list are lazy picks.

Shanks said no

Dating Amber

8/10

Needed a rest from Oscar nominees, so gave this Irish film a go. Best it has won is an award at the NewFest: New York's LGBT Film Festival. It was a really sweet film about two troubled teenagers who decide to pair up to fit in. Realised after about 20 minutes I had smiled and laughed the whole film. Similar humour to Moone Boy and Father Ted.

Really enjoyed it, available on Prime

The White Tiger 

7.5/10

(Netflix)

About an Indian guy born into poverty who gets a job as a servant for a rich family (who treat him like utter crap) but he eventually makes his own way in the world as an entrepreneur via some rather dodgy means. Decent.

Edited by Ray Gin

The White Tiger 

7/10

(Netflix)

About an Indian guy born into poverty who gets a job as a servant for a rich family (who treat him like utter crap) but he eventually makes his own way in the world as an entrepreneur via some rather dodgy means. Decent.