Jump to content

The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...


Guest GhostHunter

Recommended Posts

The Frenchman Returns

The Mauritanian

 

6.5/10

 

West African ends up in Guantánamo with all the unpleasantness that it entails, for years. Based on the best-selling memoir by Mohamedou Ould Slahi. Some good performances and I see its up for numerous BAFTAs, unfortunately its not up for an Oscar despite what my list says!.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • rudi must stay

    1026

  • The Frenchman Returns

    712

  • Ray Gin

    491

  • Zico

    313

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Winter's Bone   Tough drama set in really small town USA (Ozark Mountains).   Really impressed at the performances in this - a few Oscar nominations at the time.   7.5/10

Posted Images

1971fozzy
59 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The Mauritanian

 

6.5/10

 

West African ends up in Guantánamo with all the unpleasantness that it entails, for years. Based on the best-selling memoir by Mohamedou Ould Slahi. Some good performances and I see its up for numerous BAFTAs, unfortunately its not up for an Oscar despite what my list says!.


watched it tonight (Prime) and thought it was very good indeed. Could of done with more in the court room but guess time constraints were a factor. The lead Tahar Rahim is superb, as he was in ‘The Serpent’

8/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bleedsmaroon
22 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

 

Is there many promising young woman from Ormiston?  Think that would be a short film

🤣🤣🤣🤣 as someone who now lives in Tranent, I'd say not! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Muppetboy

The lodge. Was expecting more from this psychological horror than it delivered. Slight hint of the shining in it. 5/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Greedy Jambo

10 Cloverfield lane on Netflix. 

Cant beat a bit of John Goodman. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a moment of nostalgia Heathers. It’s aged pretty well for an 80’s film. And still as dark as hell. Also the start of my long term obsession with Winona Ryder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ron Burgundy

Wild Bill on Netflix, typical Dexter Fletcher film of run down east end London drug life. Wasn't bad and passed an hour and a half. Has every cliché in the book though.

 

Schindlers List, haven't seen it for ages so watched again last night. Horrible but brilliant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
14 hours ago, Tazio said:

In a moment of nostalgia Heathers. It’s aged pretty well for an 80’s film. And still as dark as hell. Also the start of my long term obsession with Winona Ryder. 

 

funny talking of nostalgia, when searching a news report, a link attached was a story about Rita, Sue & Bob, too.

 

Now, if you want a right good earthy laugh, watch this. A good comedy set in 80's Yorkshire.

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

Outcast

 

Just a really boring unimaginative film. Lots of fighting, not much story and an absolutely terrible Nicolas Cage performance

 

5/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

The Boy

 

Quite good, quite disturbing (it is a horror) has heart to heart playing in a scene too, always reminds me of the Jambos. So I'll give it a good score

 

7/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48

“ Hillbilly elegy “ with Glenn Close and Amy Adams . I thought this was better than expected . It has had some savage reviews due to perceived views about its subject matter ( stereotyping red neck families ) but i thought it was well acted and very emotional at times . Really highlighted the hell growing up with a parent who is an addict . Very harrowing at times . The young actors playing the young lad were both terrific too . 7/ 10 .  Glenn Close chasing the Oscar yet again . But she’s not the favourite Which is a shame as she’s very good and how was Amy Adams ignored . She’s terrific 

Edited by JamesM48
Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns

Rocks

 

8/10

 

British coming-of-age about "Rocks", a Black British teenage girl living in Hackney, London, whose single mother abandons her and their younger brother. She tries to look after the two of them herself. Had a feel of Play for Today. Lot of newcomers and refreshingly sweet and honest. Felt you were seeing life through their eyes rather than the grizzled viewer like me.

 

No intention of watching all the BAFTA nominations but this is up for seven awards , including Outstanding British Film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
10 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Rocks

 

8/10

 

British coming-of-age about "Rocks", a Black British teenage girl living in Hackney, London, whose single mother abandons her and their younger brother. She tries to look after the two of them herself. Had a feel of Play for Today. Lot of newcomers and refreshingly sweet and honest. Felt you were seeing life through their eyes rather than the grizzled viewer like me.

 

No intention of watching all the BAFTA nominations but this is up for seven awards , including Outstanding British Film.

This looks good . But seems have to be in tight mood to watch it ! Looks like a British version of “ Precious” ? 
 

i no watched “Nomadland” last night as well as “ Hillbilly elegy “ ( reviewed earlier ). “ Nomadlland “ was stunning . Beautiful , moving , well paced and just so humane about people and their lives and responses to grief . It’s a world which we rarely see in American films . Reminded me a lot of “ the graves of wrath “ .  It’s very powerful . An outstanding performance by the best actress in films by far Ms Frances Mc dormand. She really is a great actress . So real and natural unlike cold Meryl Streep ! David Strathern was also great in a supporting part and there was some good acting from real

life “ nomads “ who are non actors . I’ll need to watch the other actresses in the best actress race as she has set the. Bar incredibly well . Even if she doesn’t win I have. I problems with it winning Best picture 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
On 06/04/2021 at 15:19, Tommy Brown said:

 

funny talking of nostalgia, when searching a news report, a link attached was a story about Rita, Sue & Bob, too.

 

Now, if you want a right good earthy laugh, watch this. A good comedy set in 80's Yorkshire.

Oh this is one of the best ever British comedies ! It’s a scream . It’s so realistic and so well acted by the cast . It’s a real slice of real British life snd totally unlike stuck up British “ period “ dramas . It’s the real deal so bawdy 

Edited by JamesM48
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy Brown
19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh this is one of the best ever British comedies ! It’s a scream . It’s so realistic and so well acted by the cast . It’s a real slice of real British life snd totally unlike stuck up British “ period “ dramas . It’s the real deal so bawdy 

 

cheers James, theres's even cameo of Black Lace singing "We're having a gangbang" in the local club.

I really need this one out. The director, Alan Clarke also done This is Britain.

Was hoping the full movie was on Youtube, but loads of clips are.

 

A taster to the movie humour

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

 

cheers James, theres's even cameo of Black Lace singing "We're having a gangbang" in the local club.

I really need this one out. The director, Alan Clarke also done This is Britain.

Was hoping the full movie was on Youtube, but loads of clips are.

 

A taster to the movie humour

 

Yes Tommy . Like i said its just a brillaint peice of REAL British life. Warts and all ( usually genital ones! ) It was a welcome change from snooty middle class or upper class Hugh Grant type films as they often portray a narrow view of British culture. Most Americans I know think we live like " Downtown Abbey" but i always recommend this film. Its so well written and has an outstanding cast too.  It did get very good reviews. Always reminds me of growing up on a council estate with all the different characters. Thats a brilliant tune as well   Yes Alan Clarke was a great film maker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay
13 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes Tommy . Like i said its just a brillaint peice of REAL British life. Warts and all ( usually genital ones! ) It was a welcome change from snooty middle class or upper class Hugh Grant type films as they often portray a narrow view of British culture. Most Americans I know think we live like " Downtown Abbey" but i always recommend this film. Its so well written and has an outstanding cast too.  It did get very good reviews. Always reminds me of growing up on a council estate with all the different characters. Thats a brilliant tune as well   Yes Alan Clarke was a great film maker. 

 

He made a visually very good film called The Firm 

Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo

Coming2America

 

5/10

 

Very disappointed. Quite a few regurgitated gags from the original and all in all was pretty boring.

Massive plot hole in the fact that it takes place 30 years after the original but none of the old boys in the barber shop seem to have aged.

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

Concrete Cowboys

 

Just a really boring film

 

5/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

They Live

 

I liked it and took away it's message about greed 

 

8/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48

Watched “ Promising young woman “ tonight and it was fantastic . It’s almost a satire . It’s funny , harsh and biting and cleverly chips away at male privilege with women in society especially in relation to sex and  how many men just view women as easy prey and there for the taken with or without consent Well hard luck for them as the main character played by Carey Mulligan is out for revenge against man who raped her best friend in high school . It’s very  comic but also dark and moving . She is fantastic in it . The Oscar race for best actress is one of the best ever apparently and I wouldn’t be surprised if she won it. It’s a hard watch because it’s so true 

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

Batman Ninja

 

10 minutes was enough. Terrible dialogue

 

5/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
20 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Watched “ Promising young woman “ tonight and it was fantastic . It’s almost a satire . It’s funny , harsh and biting and cleverly chips away at male privilege with women in society especially in relation to sex and  how many men just view women as easy prey and there for the taken with or without consent Well hard luck for them as the main character played by Carey Mulligan is out for revenge against man who raped her best friend in high school . It’s very  comic but also dark and moving . She is fantastic in it . The Oscar race for best actress is one of the best ever apparently and I wouldn’t be surprised if she won it. It’s a hard watch because it’s so true 

I have watched them all and my rating would be

1.  Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)  
2. Andra Day (The United States vs Billie Holiday)

3. Vanessa Kirby (Pieces of a Woman)

4. Frances McDormand (Nomadland)

5. Viola Davis (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)   

 


   
  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
6 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I have watched them all and my rating would be

1.  Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)  
2. Andra Day (The United States vs Billie Holiday)

3. Vanessa Kirby (Pieces of a Woman)

4. Frances McDormand (Nomadland)

5. Viola Davis (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)   

 


   
  
 

Not seen them all yet . Now watching " PIeces of a woman" so two more to go then ill give my opinion

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns

Another round

 

8/10

 

Really enjoyable Danish film about four men who experiment in staying drunk. Would love to try myself but family history would indicate it not being a very good idea. Up for 2 Oscars (Director and Foreign film) and 4 Baftas

Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo
12 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Another round

 

8/10

 

Really enjoyable Danish film about four men who experiment in staying drunk. Would love to try myself but family history would indicate it not being a very good idea. Up for 2 Oscars (Director and Foreign film) and 4 Baftas

It is good isn't it.  There's bits in it that seem somewhat off-the wall but maybe that's just the Danes for you. :lol:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo
15 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I have watched them all and my rating would be

1.  Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)  
2. Andra Day (The United States vs Billie Holiday)

3. Vanessa Kirby (Pieces of a Woman)

4. Frances McDormand (Nomadland)

5. Viola Davis (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom)   

 


   
  
 

 

14 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Not seen them all yet . Now watching " PIeces of a woman" so two more to go then ill give my opinion

I too am yet to see Pieces of a Woman but so far I'd have it this way:

1= Andra Day/Viola Davis (probably favouring the former as simply put there's more required of her part)

3. Carey Mulligan

4. Frances McDormand

 

Dunno, I couldn't really get into PYW for some reason; had a kinda Clueless/Frineds type feel to it, and I guess that's obviously affected my ranking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

 

I too am yet to see Pieces of a Woman but so far I'd have it this way:

1= Andra Day/Viola Davis (probably favouring the former as simply put there's more required of her part)

3. Carey Mulligan

4. Frances McDormand

 

Dunno, I couldn't really get into PYW for some reason; had a kinda Clueless/Frineds type feel to it, and I guess that's obviously affected my ranking.

Oh I thought it was brilliant . Yes it had a daft “ clueless “ look to it but that was deliberate as those kind of films have women as usually dim witted bimbos with no depth unlike the main character in “ Promising young woman” it really was a savage indictment of men ( some ) and their toxicity towards women . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh I thought it was brilliant . Yes it had a daft “ clueless “ look to it but that was deliberate as those kind of films have women as usually dim witted bimbos with no depth unlike the main character in “ Promising young woman” it really was a savage indictment of men ( some ) and their toxicity towards women . 

Fair enough, James, that makes sense.  I watched Mank first then thought I'd plough through the rest of the BP nominees, and I say plough as reading their basic plots none appealed tbqh so probably biased against everything I saw thereafter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
18 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Fair enough, James, that makes sense.  I watched Mank first then thought I'd plough through the rest of the BP nominees, and I say plough as reading their basic plots none appealed tbqh so probably biased against everything I saw thereafter.

I see . I’ll have a look at the other bead film nominees too . See What I fancy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
25 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I see . I’ll have a look at the other bead film nominees too . See What I fancy 

Fill your boots, thought I may as well put them in my and Mrs F's order of preference

 

Best Picture
The Father

Promising Young Woman

Sound of Metal

Minari

Nomadland

Mank

Judas and the Black Messiah

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Edited by The Frenchman Returns
wrong order
Link to post
Share on other sites
ArcticJambo

Haven't watched Judas or Sound of Metal but ....

Mank

Minari

The Father

Promising Young Woman

Trial of Chicago 7

Nomadland

 

Tbh, the last three listed could probably go in any order depending upon how I feel that night.  I wouldn't watch any of them a second time with the exception of Mank, I thought it brilliant!

Edited by ArcticJambo
Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Fill your boots, thought I may as well put them in my and Mrs F's order of preference

 

Best Picture
The Father

Promising Young Woman

Sound of Metal

Minari

Nomadland

Mank

Judas and the Black Messiah

The Trial of the Chicago 7

I really fancy “ sound of metal” as the lad in it is a terrific actor. riz Ahmed I think his name is ? “ the father “ looks great too as it’s got Sir Anthony in it . Our best British actor . “ Judas and the messiah “ looks good too 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I really fancy “ sound of metal” as the lad in it is a terrific actor. riz Ahmed I think his name is ? “ the father “ looks great too as it’s got Sir Anthony in it . Our best British actor . “ Judas and the messiah “ looks good too 

Hopkins should walk the best actor, absolutely no one comes close, unfortunately its looking like a posthumous award.

Link to post
Share on other sites
iantjambo

Calamity Jane

 

10/10

 

Some of the classics age really well and some not so much.

This one fits perfectly in the first category.

As brilliant as the first time I ever watched it.

The entire cast was brilliant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48
44 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Hopkins should walk the best actor, absolutely no one comes close, unfortunately its looking like a posthumous award.

Yes I think you may be right . Unlucky for Sir Anthony 

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudi must stay

Palms Springs

 

A perfectly adequate comedy, had some real laugh out loud moments. I recommend it to those with Amazon 

 

7/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns

Wolf of Wall Street

 

10/10

 

Needed a classic tonight

Link to post
Share on other sites
Carl Fredrickson

Thunder Force on Netflix. Family film that made the kids laugh and I chuckled at a few bits. Decent but not great 6/10

Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter

The Hitcher, Sean Bean as a very mad hitchhiker, my wife jumped out her seat 3 times 

during this scary film,😂, bit far fetched but kept me glued to the screen.

7/10, Netflix, 2007.

Edited by Harry Potter
Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry Potter

The Boy, 2015, Netflix, bit slow to start but got better as it progressed through to the end.

7/10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
JamesM48

The poor mans Oscars the Baftas are on tonight.  The nominations are mainly a joke. IN particular the Best actress nominees where many of the best performances have been snubbed. Bafta as usual going for the obscure people just to cause controversy really and publicity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Frenchman Returns
6 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

The poor mans Oscars the Baftas are on tonight.  The nominations are mainly a joke. IN particular the Best actress nominees where many of the best performances have been snubbed. Bafta as usual going for the obscure people just to cause controversy really and publicity. 

Four BAFTAs for Nomadland: Best Film, Director, Leading Actress, Cinematography
Two BAFTAs for Promising Young Woman: Outstanding British Film, Original Screenplay
Two BAFTAs for The Father: Adapted Screenplay, Leading Actor
Two BAFTAs for Sound of Metal: Sound, Editing
Two BAFTAs for Soul: Animated Film, Original Score
Two BAFTAs for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom: Costume Design, Make Up & Hair
Daniel Kaluuya wins Supporting Actor for Judas and the Black Messiah
Yuh-Jung Youn wins Supporting Actress for Minari
Bukky Bakray wins the EE Rising Star Award

 

Highlighted those I strongly agree with, delighted for Hopkins since I seem to the only one who has seen the Father

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...