The Official JKB What Was The Last Film You Watched...

Guest GhostHunter

I've just spotted What We Do In The Shadows is on iPlayer. That's my the next hour and twenty sorted then. Hilarious mockumentary about old European vampires living in a quiet town in New Zealand. 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

I've just spotted What We Do In The Shadows is on iPlayer. That's my the next hour and twenty sorted then. Hilarious mockumentary about old European vampires living in a quiet town in New Zealand. 

Same director as the brilliant 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople'

Disser Pointon
On 11/3/2017 at 19:07, The Frenchman Returns said:

Weirdly I watched something similar called The Bleeder, I think, last week

I think it had 2 different titles, starred Liev Schreiber from Ray Donovan?

Shanks said no
8 hours ago, Bleedsmaroon said:

I think it had 2 different titles, starred Liev Schreiber from Ray Donovan?

It is the same film, it was The Bleeder in UK / Ireland and Chuck elsewhere.

7/10 for me too

Good boxing film and particularly liked the Ali controversy

The Killing of the Sacred Deer

8/10 

Left feeling it was a pretty disturbing movie. Some holes in it buy well worth going to see.

Jigsaw 6.5/10

New Saw movie. As expected, enjoyed it. 

8/10

Wasn’t to sure about this one but gave it a go and really enjoyed it. Really good crime/drama with a touch  of supernatural chucked in.

The Death of Stalin 8/10

Arnando Iannucci film. Comic though serious pastiche based on true events of the death and immediate aftermath of Stalin's death. 

The comic genuis of the actors carries it off. It flows and is a feel good film despite its events being the opposite. 

6 days

based on the Iranian embassy siege in the eighties. Gd cast but Jamie bell as an sas soldier didn't really work. Not the usual gd guy bad guy situation and it's very accurate to actual events. Mark Strong gives a gd performance as the negotiator. 7/10

Disser Pointon

American Made, 7/10. I enjoyed it however, after reading up on the main character afterwards, the story appears to be quite far away from the truth which took a bit of the shine off it. Worth a watch though.

I will probably get grief for this. Paddington 2 with my nine years old laddie.

It goes against the grain in that the sequel is better than the original.

Hugh Grant of all actors steals the film. 8.5/10

Trainspotting 2

8/10

Really enjoyed it. Thought it lacked the darkness of the original but was overall very good.

I loved that they brought Mark and Simon back together as friends and that it was made to look like it was Spud who wrote the original book.

Only thing that pissed me off was that Begbie escapes from prison but is able to go back and live with his ex and son, meet up with old acquaintances and visit old hangouts when it’s obvious that these are the first places that the police would check and probably monitor.

On 13/11/2017 at 23:59, John Findlay said:

I will probably get grief for this. Paddington 2 with my nine years old laddie.

It goes against the grain in that the sequel is better than the original.

Hugh Grant of all actors steals the film. 8.5/10

No grief from me, I saw Paddington with my Mrs and I don't even have the excuse of taking kids.  Absolutely loved it.

Edited by Bob Loblaw

rudi must stay

Xmen Apocalypse

This film sunk without trace at the box office but I really enjoyed it, I liked the last one but I did find it abit slow, this one is much quicker and more action packed. I thought Fassbender was terrific too, he really does play the warped Magneto very well. Some marks off for Oscar Isaac's costume, he's such a strong screen presense I didn't see the point in putting him in a costume even if it did make him look menacing. All in all a good superhero movie and much better than I thought it was going to be

7/10

Edited by rudi must stay

Disser Pointon

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - Not sure what I thought of it, entirely different role for Vince Vaughn and very violent whilst being entirely unbelievable. 6/10.

City Of Ghosts - outstanding documentary on Amazon about the group of journalists, Raqqa Is Being Silently Slaughtered, who were the guys providing the footage we all saw about ISIS in Raqqa. Their courage amongst the most horrible conditions, whether in Syria or in Turkey and Germany after they had to leave, is awe-inspiring. Harrowing but brilliant. 9/10

rudi must stay

Only God Forgives

One I keep going back to. Visually brilliant but I have decided after numerous viewings what I thought the first time, that it doesn't make much sense. Anybody on here that gets it and can explain it would be superb as I don't like to be perplexed by movies

6/10

luckyBatistuta

Sleight,

After his mother's death, a young street magician (Jacob Latimore) turns to dealing drugs at parties to support his little sister. When she is kidnapped by his supplier, he uses his sleight of hand and keen intelligence to find her.

It started off alright and seemed like it could be quite a good watch, but it just didn't keep my interest and the end is poor imo

6/10

The Lego Ninjago Movie - decent enough kids movie with some funny bits but not a patch on The Lego Movie. 6/10

The Reagan Show - interesting documentary comprised entirely of behind the scenes footage of Reagan’s presidency and how he ‘acted’ as the president. Howewwr as it’s footage only, it doesn’t really say that much - a missed opportunity. 6/10

Battle of the Sexes 7/10

Decent entertaining story of the real life struggle of women tennis players to get decent pay leading a reality style set piece event of leading player Billie Jean King being challenged to play against washed up, gambling 50+ year old former grand slam winner Bobby Riggs.

Its also about King's homosexual awakening. 

Very well put together 70s film. 

Just got round to watching The Accountant the other night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. One of Affleck's best movies imo 8/10

Samuel Camazzola
3 hours ago, dougal said:

Just got round to watching The Accountant the other night. Thoroughly enjoyed it. One of Affleck's best movies imo 8/10

Good film and he plays the part well. I heard talk of a follow-up that includes his brother from the film. 

rudi must stay

Spiderman

Absolutely brilliant. Loved the comedy, some great moments and it keeps it going for the whole movie. Holland is terrific as Spiderman, extremely likeable and charismatic, Keaton makes a great villain as well. He always has an interesting screen presence and he does here too

10/10

Edited by rudi must stay

rudi must stay

Burnt

I thought this was an excellent film. Interesting to see a real top notch kitchen and I'd imagine it's pretty realistic. Bradley Cooper plays a great character to a tee and Sienna Miller is good too. 

8/10

The Disaster Artist 9/10

Story of making of The Room 'the worst ever film'. Mysterious, very wealthy oddball guy with uncertain background hooks up with ambitious young actor. After struggling to get parts in LA they decide to make their own film. 

Money is no object but the talent sadly is lacking. 

It is untimately a feel good film. Its something different on a lot of levels. 

Oh and there is a final final scene at the end of the credits. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Molly's Game 10/10

Poker. Running a game which eventually gets the attention of the authorities. Based on true events. 

So that's the real life character, Molly Bloom played by Jessica Chastain. Idris Elba plays her defence lawyer. Both must have a chance for Oscar nominations. Idris Elba was outstanding and Chastain is emerging as a strong actor. Also a very good cameo supporting peformance by Kevin Costner as Molly's Dad. 

The film moves at a relentless  pace keeping the attention throughout the 2 hours 20 minutes. There are different elements to the story. It's about opportunity and high achievement and dealing with adversity. As well as poker and gambling. 

Fine film. 

Edited by Mikey1874

rudi must stay
15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Molly's Game 10/10

Poker. Running a game which eventually gets the attention of the authorities. Based on true events. 

So that's the real life character, Molly Bloom played by Jessica Chastain. Idris Elba plays her defence lawyer. Both must have a chance for Oscar nominations. Idris Elba was outstanding and Chastain is emerging as a strong actor. Also a very good cameo supporting peformance by Kevin Costner as Molly's Dad. 

The film moves at a relentless  pace keeping the attention throughout the 2 hours 20 minutes. There are different elements to the story. It's about opportunity and high achievement and dealing with adversity. As well as poker and gambling. 

Fine film. 

Chastian seems to be off the big franchises raders for whatever reason but she is exceptional. She's like Alicia Vikandar in that she picks tough parts and usually does well in them.  Great review

52 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Chastian seems to be off the big franchises raders for whatever reason but she is exceptional. She's like Alicia Vikandar in that she picks tough parts and usually does well in them.  Great review

i'm sure she has a role in the next x-men film

rudi must stay
42 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i'm sure she has a role in the next x-men film

It's all about Jean Grey. As yet she's been pretty underused in the xmen franchise, could be decent

1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

It's all about Jean Grey. As yet she's been pretty underused in the xmen franchise, could be decent

the problem is sophie turner who plays jean grey struggles with accents and is IMO a poor actress

rudi must stay
12 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the problem is sophie turner who plays jean grey struggles with accents and is IMO a poor actress

Ye she's very average

Disser Pointon
On 12/3/2017 at 08:20, dougal said:

On 12/3/2017 at 11:26, Samuel Camazzola said:

Good film and he plays the part well. I heard talk of a follow-up that includes his brother from the film. 

Also watched this at the weekend and really enjoyed it, 9/10.

rudi must stay

The Night Before

didnt expect much but this is quite a good comedy, some great cameos and scenes. I liked the inclusion of Joseph Gordon Levitt too as he added some good acting amongst all the comedy

7/10

Just watched the Cruel sea again for the umpteenth time. Tremendous film. Depicts the command of a warship in time of war superbly. Fantastic performance by Jack Hawkins. The supporting cast that includes Donald Sinderby and Denholm Elliott are all top notch too. 10/10 film for me.

Forbidden Games The Justin Fashanu Story. 

Very moving tale of his life, a very complicated character who seemed to be driven by forces he couldn't control. 

...a bit disco

One I've been looking forward to for a while now...

The Foreigner (Netflix)

Jackie Chan (playing it straight) as a 60 year old Chinese restaurateur whose daughter dies in an IRA bombing, goes on a revenge rampage against the...IRA!

Enjoyed Pierce Brosnan's 'passable' Gerry Adams impersonation!

8/10

Disser Pointon

The Last Jedi, 6/10. Pretty disappointed with it, don't know if that's because the reviews had bummed it up and I was expecting more but didn't think much of it.

Carl Fredrickson

Watched the last few reviewed on here. 

The Justin Fashanu movie is well worth a watch. Provides an insight into the man behind what we read in the papers. 8/10

The Foreigner - watched it last night and by the end I couldnt care what happened. 3/10

The Last Jedi. I deliberately avoided all trailers and reviews and went to see it tonight with my son. I think I enjoyed it a lot more being with a youngster than if watching it on my own. I am not a great SW fan (watched the films and know most of the main characters names but dont expect any more than that from me). I enjoyed the film but I think Disney have added more humour to it. Dont want to say anything that may be a spoiler but I am sure my wee boy will have many more SW films to watch in the future. 8/10

I thought Star Wars VIII was okay. 8/10 okay. 

The underlying story. Some good mini story lines. Decent enough characters. 

I don't expect too much from what has been a very mixed bag. 

Curious at how it will 'end'. Cos it has to end, the 9 volume story. (I know we are now in Spin Off territory which is fine) Some characters introduced perhaps gearing towards that. 

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:24, Bleedsmaroon said:

The Last Jedi, 6/10. Pretty disappointed with it, don't know if that's because the reviews had bummed it up and I was expecting more but didn't think much of it.

Saw it last night and have the same opinion but give it 5/10. 

edit: Maybe it's a age thing, being born in 72, some films just don't excite me anymore.

Edited by Marvin

rudi must stay

Bright

A really cool film, very original and Will Smith and Edgerton bounce off each other well

8/10

Edited by rudi must stay

The Last Jedi  Read all the negative reviews so it lowered my expectations some what.  Really enjoyed it, a few corny scenes but far, far better than I was expecting.   Watched it at Wester Hailes Odeon with the reclining seats and amazing sound, which helped no doubt.:thumbsup:

8/10

Edited by Nobreath