Australian Open

Deek

There was also a great Cantona style "look at how great I am" pose after it

The rally to break Cilic in the second set was just as good and although he had finally got the break to get ahead, it was the way he won it that was the turning point in the match

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Geoff Kilpatrick

That shot was below net height.

I didn't realise that counted!!

Anyway, it should be a Federer-Murray final. Must get the beers in for Sunday night!

I P Knightley
That shot was below net height.

I didn't realise that counted!!

Anyway, it should be a Federer-Murray final. Must get the beers in for Sunday night!

The game is to make the ball land in-court on the opponent's side. How it gets there isn't prescribed :) whenever I try round the net, it hits the floodlight post.

Lucky for you on getting the beers in. My family disapproves of me having lager for breakfast.

I P Knightley
Anyone know where he will be in the rankings now. Think it may be back to 2 no matter what happens Sunday?

I looked yesterday on the ATP site and worked out for myself that he is over 1000 points behind Djokovic.

The SF place adds 840 points to his tally (djoko stays still as he's matched last year's performance) so he'd close the gap considerably but not pass ND.

A tourney win would take him ahead of ND. What I didn't count was the points that Nadal is dropping. He's losing 1660 points which, I think, keeps him, just, in 2nd.

Say What Again

One thing has stuck out for me in the news coverage of his progress, we can finally put to bed the utter pish that he's British when he wins and Scottish when he loses.

I think every game I've watched, and every (BBC) news report I've seen, Murray has been referred to as 'the Scot'. BBC just showed the 2 main shots of the game and each shot was reported as 'the Scot....'.

No doubt if he is to lose in the final, we'll still get the same folk saying 'Aye, he's back to being Scottish now oan the telly'

Keek.

I P Knightley
Thanks for posting the link for us guys who are stuck in meetings all day.

The replay at 1.06 - how is that shot legal. I thought you had to hit the ball back over the net ?

See earlier. It only has to hit the court on the oppo's side. Rules don't say it has to carry the net because that's almost a given.

Saw both highlighted shots on the telly at lunch. The guy is remarkable when he's on song.

Fully agree on the British/Scottish thing. There's more "Scot" than "Brit" in the commentary I've followed but, rightly, there is frequent reference to him being 'Britain's number 1' which is a bit of faint praise given just how good he is.

Anyone know who Britain's number 2 is just now? I better check, it might be me ;)

chester copperpot
See earlier. It only has to hit the court on the oppo's side. Rules don't say it has to carry the net because that's almost a given.

Saw both highlighted shots on the telly at lunch. The guy is remarkable when he's on song.

Fully agree on the British/Scottish thing. There's more "Scot" than "Brit" in the commentary I've followed but, rightly, there is frequent reference to him being 'Britain's number 1' which is a bit of faint praise given just how good he is.

Anyone know who Britain's number 2 is just now? I better check, it might be me ;)

bogdanovic without looking

I looked yesterday on the ATP site and worked out for myself that he is over 1000 points behind Djokovic.

The SF place adds 840 points to his tally (djoko stays still as he's matched last year's performance) so he'd close the gap considerably but not pass ND.

A tourney win would take him ahead of ND. What I didn't count was the points that Nadal is dropping. He's losing 1660 points which, I think, keeps him, just, in 2nd.

Nadal's down to fourth now, despite the fact he's played more tournaments than Murray.

Murray might have a chance of getting to number one at some point this year but Federer's got that many points from Grand Slams that I think he's almost certain to still be there until after Wimbledon.

bogdanovic without looking

Ye it is big Alex Bogdanovic.

Murray

Bogdanovic

James Ward

Daniel Evans

Joshua Goodall

Are the British top 5.

Murray

Bogdanovic

James Ward

Daniel Evans

Joshua Goodall

Are the British top 5.

The four shoe-ins to get a wild card at Wimbledon and get pumped out in the first round!

The other Scottish guy, Jamie Baker, should be there soon. He did fairly well a couple of years back before he got some bizarre illness and they caught it just in time otherwise he could have died, spent time in intensive care. He's on the comeback trail now.

The four shoe-ins to get a wild card at Wimbledon and get pumped out in the first round!

The other Scottish guy, Jamie Baker, should be there soon. He did fairly well a couple of years back before he got some bizarre illness and they caught it just in time otherwise he could have died, spent time in intensive care. He's on the comeback trail now.

Andy Murray will have won more Grand Slam matches in this one tournament than the rest have combined - in their entire careers!!

Christ on a bike - Bogdanovic is still Britain's number 2? Crazy - the guy is horrendous, and cares more about nailing wee impressionable girls who are impressed that he's a tennis player than actually working on his game. Wild card every year at Wimbledon and has a perfect record; papped out first round 100% of the time.

I saw Josh Goodall play at Braehead and he was horrific as well - one of the weakest players mentally that you'll ever see. The other lad, Chris Eaton, put in a much better performance despite playing against a sronger player and being 100+ places down the rankings. British tennis outside of Murray and Robson is disastrous.

Hmmm might have to tune in to watch this, if we're finally to witness a British tennis player actually winning something, I want to be there to see it!

Gives you a glimpse of what it must be like to support a nation who are good at sport. Remember the dark days of "Henmania" where a straight sets exit in the quarters was considered a success!

Say What Again
Murray

Bogdanovic

James Ward

Daniel Evans

Joshua Goodall

Are the British top 5.

That list is out of date. I bought a racquet at lunchtime so Goodall is now number 6.

tennis.gif

That list is out of date. I bought a racquet at lunchtime so Goodall is now number 6.

tennis.gif

You are probably not far of the mark with that comment to be honest..

However, Murray doing well might encourage kids to pick up a racquet and play Tennis now.....

Laura Robson on the girls side seems to be progressing well! Maybe there are a few young lads as well about to come through!

I P Knightley
Nadal's down to fourth now, despite the fact he's played more tournaments than Murray.

The system works that you'll only ever have points from 18 tournaments in the past 52 weeks count towards your total:

The 4 Grand Slams

The 8 Masters 1000 events

Your best 4 Masters 500 events and

Your best 2 other events.

So if you're handy, you're better keeping the tourney count down. I think when he was completely dominant, Federer only played 15 tournaments in a year.

Murray

Bogdanovic

James Ward

Daniel Evans

Joshua Goodall

Are the British top 5.

Phew! I won 3 matches in a row down at the tennis club and thought I might have crept into the top 5.

Just shows - being British No 1 is not a great achievement.

Here's the definitive IP Knightley breakdown on the ATP rankings.

Whatever happens now, Djoko will have 8310 points next week (no change). Nadal drops from 9310 to 7670.

If Federer wins, he adds 800 points to his current 10,550 whilst Murray adds 840 to his 6780, putting him on 7620.

1. Federer
  2. Djokovic
  3. Nadal
  4. Murray

(same top 4 if Tsonga wins)

If Murray wins, his total goes to another 800 higher, giving us:

1. Federer
  2. Murray
  3. Djokovic
  4. Nadal

S'there

Carl Weathers
Christ on a bike - Bogdanovic is still Britain's number 2? Crazy - the guy is horrendous, and cares more about nailing wee impressionable girls who are impressed that he's a tennis player than actually working on his game. Wild card every year at Wimbledon and has a perfect record; papped out first round 100% of the time.

Lol - how do you know that?

Fair play to the lad if he can get bursd despite being a terrible player. He must only earn about ?15k each year in "prize" munnie.

Edit - he's 25 and earned $1,569,424 (USD) in prize money - not too bad.

Lol - how do you know that?

Fair play to the lad if he can get bursd despite being a terrible player. He must only earn about ?15k each year in "prize" munnie.

Edit - he's 25 and earned $1,569,424 (USD) in prize money - not too bad.

The record books show it - he's lost every game he's played at Wimbledon. ;)

Seriously, I've heard a few things on the grapevine, no evidence except for his continued dreadful performances on the tour. How can he have possibly scooped that much prize money - has the **** ever won a tournament??!

I P Knightley

Wooo - I've found a new toy. Thanks!! Does that work during every ATP tournament/week?

I had Murray losing 360 points, not 180. Schoolboy error.

'mon Murray. We don't want the feeble chunder-monkey from Belgrade in #2 spot at the end of this.

Everybody loves Baz

Fancying 3-2 Federer today chaps,

Might stick a bit money on it :biggrin:

Either 3-2 or 3-0 Fed.

Fancying 3-2 Federer today chaps,

Might stick a bit money on it :biggrin:

Either 3-2 or 3-0 Fed.

After the first set..

3-0 ... 2 hours!

Everybody loves Baz
After the first set..

3-0 ... 2 hours!

Yep, stuck ?50 on 3-0 Federer.

Geoff Kilpatrick
After the first set..

3-0 ... 2 hours!

Channel 7 out here has only allowed 2 hours in its schedule for this game.

However, this is the same host broadcaster that cut live coverage of the Federer-Davydenko game for the news and Home and Away, but then during the news told everyone that Federer had won!

RF is playing phenomanal tennis, should be a classic on Sunday.......

Bring it on*

*Unless somehow Tsonga comes back and win (which I can't see happen, but you never know.........).

Everybody loves Baz
RF is playing phenomanal tennis, should be a classic on Sunday.......

Bring it on*

*Unless somehow Tsonga comes back and win (which I can't see happen, but you never know.........).

I'll putting ?100 on Federer for sundays final, Just to win.

I think Federer will just be too strong for Murray on Sunday.:ninja:

Say What Again
I'll putting ?100 on Federer for sundays final, Just to win.

You can still get 4/5 Federer on Stan James right now

Everybody loves Baz
You can still get 4/5 Federer on Stan James right now

Probably get 10/11 with hills, Haven't got a SJ account mate.

Federer was only evens to win 3-0 when i put the bet on.

Only getting 8/13 for Fed now.

chester copperpot
If anyone's got the game to hurt Fed its Murray. I still fully believe he can, and will, do it.

f he plays ultra defensive like he did at the start against cilic then fed will maul him. If he goes for it like he did against nadal then he has a chance.

Say What Again
Probably get 10/11 with hills, Haven't got a SJ account mate.

Fed is best price 8/13 now (including Hills).

Pity you didn't have a Stan James account as 4/5 when he was 2-0 up in the semi was good value. I've got a Stan James account but don't have ?100 :biggrin:

If anyone's got the game to hurt Fed its Murray. I still fully believe he can, and will, do it.

Lets hope so, although I sense another glorious failure brewing.

Everybody loves Baz
Fed is best price 8/13 now (including Hills).

Pity you didn't have a Stan James account as 4/5 when he was 2-0 up in the semi was good value. I've got a Stan James account but don't have ?100 :biggrin:

Think i'm gonna put the ton i won this morning on a Federer 3-0 win tomorrow, getting odds 3/1 for that.

Just think Federer will be far too good for Murray.

The Old Tolbooth
Think i'm gonna put the ton i won this morning on a Federer 3-0 win tomorrow, getting odds 3/1 for that.

Lads got Federer as short as 3/5 to win the final now after heavy support, I would stick yer ton on the Fed win mate, it pays for Tuesday ;)

Good luck... But I don't think that will happen!

Everybody loves Baz
Good luck... But I don't think that will happen!

Easy come easy go buddy,:frustrated:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Is it tomorrow morning or Sunday morning?

3inabednar is currently sitting in his cum stained underpants and shaking uncontrollably with tears in his eyes at the thought of Murray winning this.

The Old Tolbooth

Personally I'm sick of hearing about him, he dominated the entire news with quotes from every little corner of Scotland just because he won a SEMI FINAL FFS!!! Anyone would think he's actually won the damn tournament and its pretty bad when there's more important news to be read out than "Murray makes final"

People have lost their homes in Edinburgh today, soldiers have been killed abroad, people have been laid off, all much more important news than Murray winning a semi final and I'm sure these people in these predicaments right now don't really give a flying feck about some jumped up little tw@t who has adopted an American accent and how much money he's earned by playing a game he loves.

Far too much coverage of it imo (I could understand if he'd won it, but its just a semi ffs, he's gonna get raped in the final)

chester copperpot

3inabednar is currently sitting in his cum stained underpants and shaking uncontrollably with tears in his eyes at the thought of Murray winning this.

sunday mate

3inabender is positively quaking at the idea that a barcelona fan might lift a grand slam title.

scared_man.jpg

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC
3inabender is positively quaking at the idea that a barcelona fan might lift a grand slam title.

scared_man.jpg

He's currently sitting in his RAT INFESTED BEDSIT on the phone to his mum asking what he should do about his quivering lip.

andy-murray1.jpg

Archived