Australian Open

Deek

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Incorrect.

I gave an opinion pre-match.

Shaun has stated what he believes to be a fact post-match.

There's a huge difference between the two scenarios.

Fair enough Therapist, I see no flaw in that argument whatsoever.

SHAUN YOU TALK PISH.

:mwah:

Murray was only incredibly tired because Federer had im running the equivalent of a half marathon, while Fed barely broke a set.

That simply shows that Murray's planning/tactics are extremely suspect. Add that to the fact he's a bottler and one can understand why he picked up the second prize.

Incorrect.

I gave an opinion pre-match.

Shaun has stated what he believes to be a fact post-match.

There's a huge difference between the two scenarios.

An opinion? Fair enough - I guess it was also your opinion that you didn't want Jim Jefferies back, only to backtrack within the hour without admitting you'd been wrong in the first place. I cheerfully admitted my thoughts a while back about JJ returning had been wrong, and I'd changed my mind; you tried to spin your change of mind, even though the reality had nothing to do with your argument. :)

well as he broke no set I found your post made no sense at all..don't worry I shall be monitoring them all now :wink:

Therapist was able to decipher that I had made a grammatical error and responded accordingly like a gentleman, disregarding the mistake and addressing the point in hand through his own ability of working out the context of the post. All this leads to suggest that he has far superior intellect to you. No surpise there.

you missed him when you altered set to sweat.

Kit, does it really matter that much?

You seem to be in a bit of a strop today.

Sorry!

Everybody loves Baz
well as he broke no set I found your post made no sense at all..don't worry I shall be monitoring them all now :wink:

WTF is going on here ?:frustrated:

Predictability in sport is the worst, that's one reason why football is dying. But as a Hearts fan, we know that one of these days it'll happen.

Couldn't agree more about him being an inspiration as a tennis player. You compare him to some arsehole footballers, whether they are Scottish/British/wherever and they think they are something special when in reality, they don't deserve a quarter of what they get. Murray could be like that but he's not, he seems down to earth and has a real hardworking mentality.

Think people underestimate how big an achievement it is to get that high up in the world rankings and to get to a Grand Slam final. But no it's more important for some people to slag him off for some of the most ridiculous reasons. No wonder Scottish sport is in the state it is with that mentality.

Well said, Martin! The small minded who canny see beyond their pathetic and petty prejudices do hold hold us back as a nation.

Andy Murray has acheived much already and in my opinion is on the cusp of great things.

Youngsters are already inspired by him. When he eventually rises to the top of the tree he will be idolised with many inspired to emulate him. Bring it on!

Therapist was able to decipher that I had made a grammatical error and responded accordingly like a gentleman, disregarding the mistake and addressing the point in hand through his own ability of working out the context of the post.

Damn! Actually I missed it or I would have milked it as much as I could. :rofl:

Kit, does it really matter that much?

You seem to be in a bit of a strop today.

Sorry!

Not at all..you are right GA it doesn't but I will always stand my ground and if it means being as anal as some of the blokes on here..I'll do so.

you tried to spin your change of mind

Shaun, I don't do "spin". I was merely explaining my thought processes to fellow KBers for reasons of clarity.

Well said, Martin! The small minded who canny see beyond their pathetic and petty prejudices do hold hold us back as a nation.

Andy Murray has acheived much already and in my opinion is on the cusp of great things.

Youngsters are already inspired by him. When he eventually rises to the top of the tree he will be idolised with many inspired to emulate him. Bring it on!

Look at this from the Daily Heil:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1247460/Tearful-Andy-Murray-loses-Federer-AGAIN-millions-tune-watch-Australian-Open-final.html

An emotional Andy Murray apologised to the expectant British public after falling short in his bid to end a 74-year wait for grand slam glory...

I mean - for ****'s sake!

Shaun, I don't do "spin". I was merely explaining my thought processes to fellow KBers for reasons of clarity.

You do spin all the time. Every season, you tip Chelsea to win everything. When they inevitably don't, you just move on to next season: no hands up about having been too cocky or sure of yourself though. That isn't your style: it'd undermine your character on here.

Must be quite some pressure, I'd have thought - keeping in part, I mean. Still, March 2011 will be here soon enough. Even I can't see how you can extricate yourself from that one if you're wrong. ;)

Every season, you tip Chelsea to win everything.

Nothing wrong with that - it's a combination of opinion and hope. It's certainly nothing to do with "spin".

Nothing wrong with that - it's a combination of opinion and hope. It's certainly nothing to do with "spin".

On the basis that no side in the history of the English top flight has ever won every trophy available to them in a single season, I'm not sure what opinion has to do with it. :)

Most of your opinions are really just based on hope rather than objective judgement - for example, Aberdeen going bust by March 2011. ;)

On the basis that no side in the history of the English top flight has ever won every trophy available to them in a single season, I'm not sure what opinion has to do with it. :)

There has to be a first time. :smoking:

Incidentally, I don't recall ever predicting Chelsea FC would win everything.

There has to be a first time. :smoking:

Incidentally, I don't recall ever predicting Chelsea FC would win everything.

Similarly, I don't recall you ever not predicting Chelsea FC would win the competition you were writing about. Blue is the colour... ;)

Similarly, I don't recall you ever not predicting Chelsea FC would win the competition you were writing about.

It's a concept known as "confidence", Shaun.

It's a concept known as "confidence", Shaun.

On the contrary. Confidence = knowing you can do something and doing it. Arrogance = saying you will do something and not doing it. This is why, contrary to what so many think, Jose Mourinho isn't arrogant, but merely supremely self-confident; it's also why it's generally unwise for football managers, players or fans to shout their mouths off about something before achieving it.

On the contrary. Confidence = knowing you can do something and doing it. Arrogance = saying you will do something and not doing it. This is why, contrary to what so many think, Jose Mourinho isn't arrogant, but merely supremely self-confident; it's also why it's generally unwise for football managers, players or fans to shout their mouths off about something before achieving it.

So Andy Murray was arrogant to think he could win today?

Shame for John Terry..Captain in question..should have thought about his childhood sweetheart and his twins before dicking it about. Seems he is more worried about his sponsorship deals and trying to ban the truth.

Shame for John Terry..Captain in question..should have thought about his childhood sweetheart and his twins before dicking it about. Seems he is more worried about his sponsorship deals and trying to ban the truth.

:balmoral:

So Andy Murray was arrogant to think he could win today?

To think he could? Not at all. Had he said he would, that would've been arrogant.

What is it that drives Scots up the wall at every major tournament? When the English media say England will win it, against a backdrop of 44 years of failure. Players have to truly believe they can; but there's a very fine line between that and getting completely ahead of themselves, as they plainly did in 2006, for example.

"Australian Open".

To think he could? Not at all. Had he said he would, that would've been arrogant.

What is it that drives Scots up the wall at every major tournament? When the English media say England will win it, against a backdrop of 44 years of failure. Players have to truly believe they can; but there's a very fine line between that and getting completely ahead of themselves, as they plainly did in 2006, for example.

Its more the fact that they think they are more deserving winners than say Brazil, Argentina or Italy who have a much more glorious history in the world cup.

England also believe they are in some way 'special' to the world cup, when in fact they were actually opposed to the world cup for many years and have always been peripheral participants apart from when it was held in their own country at '66.

USA 94 was great and England was no were to be seen. Compare that to the last two world cups, which were minging with England competing. I think this World cup will be similair.

England did bring something to the 1998 world cup at least.

A few games apart, though USA 94 was ****.

Really looking forward to the World Cup in Africa though, just hope the games I will want to see are on at times that are watchable.

Good show from Murray, just against a superior opponent in Federer and with the ton of pressure of the final too. He still beats Fed in their head to head and I'm confident that Murray will take a slam in the coming season :D

Really looking forward to the World Cup in Africa though, just hope the games I will want to see are on at times that are watchable.

I was 7 when it was happening, so I dont remember the games much, but I just remember Brolin, Stoichkov and Italy-ROI and the final that went on until way past my bedtime which culminated in Baggio missing the pen, a player who's poster I had up on my wall!

Romario, Bebeto and Dunga. :)

I remember the Italy goalkeeper swinging on the crossbar when a ball went out for a corner, I thought this was the coolest thing ever at the time, haha easily pleased.

Can anyone name the keeper, was it Palguica?

England did bring something to the 1998 world cup at least.

Ouch! Must've hurt typing that!

Agree. Better than Italia 90, but nothing special at all; and only Romania-Argentina and the second half of Brazil-Holland stood out as great games. The whole tournament lacked a certain edge to it, which you really only get in countries which love the game and understand it with a lot more depth than the US did.

I was 7 when it was happening, so I dont remember the games much, but I just remember Brolin, Stoichkov and Italy-ROI and the final that went on until way past my bedtime which culminated in Baggio missing the pen, a player who's poster I had up on my wall!

I remember the Italy goalkeeper swinging on the crossbar when a ball went out for a corner, I thought this was the coolest thing ever at the time, haha easily pleased.

Pretty sure it was him, bud.

Ouch! Must've hurt typing that!

Agree. Better than Italia 90, but nothing special at all; and only Romania-Argentina and the second half of Brazil-Holland stood out as great games. The whole tournament lacked a certain edge to it, which you really only get in countries which love the game and understand it with a lot more depth than the US did.

The only thing England brought to France 98 was a dramatic exit. :)

I had an Easter Egg mug with the wee dog that was mascot. Vastly superior mascot to football head stickman from Italy 90.

Certainly was. He had an iffy tournament: at fault for Ray Houghton's winner, and very nearly horribly embarrassed in the final. My hero of the tournament though? Yordan Letchkov:

Yordan-Letchkov-Bulgaria-Germany-World-Cup-19_2393431.jpg

And with players like Letchkov and the terrifying Trifon Ivanov, it was, reported 90 MINUTES, a triumph of deformity over efficiency. :)

The only thing England brought to France 98 was a dramatic exit. :)

I had an Easter Egg mug with the wee dog that was mascot. Vastly superior mascot to football head stickman from Italy 90.

Outrageous comment! Ciao was the best World Cup mascot ever:

ciao_italia.jpg

Fascinating facts: the organisers had several different names they considered as well as Ciao. They were also pondering "Bomber", and "Dribbly". The latter would've been a gaffe par excellence!

Certainly was. He had an iffy tournament: at fault for Ray Houghton's winner, and very nearly horribly embarrassed in the final. My hero of the tournament though? Yordan Letchkov:

Yordan-Letchkov-Bulgaria-Germany-World-Cup-19_2393431.jpg

And with players like Letchkov and the terrifying Trifon Ivanov, it was, reported 90 MINUTES, a triumph of deformity over efficiency. :)

Im glad Germany didnt do well there, they had a very efficient team. I seem to remember Klinsmann scoring a few, or is my mind playing tricks?

I love the strips from USA 94. That kind of blocky pattern on each strip! :)

Outrageous comment! Ciao was the best World Cup mascot ever

World Cup Willie was the best. Fact. End of.

Im glad Germany didnt do well there, they had a very efficient team. I seem to remember Klinsmann scoring a few, or is my mind playing tricks?

I love the strips from USA 94. That kind of blocky pattern on each strip! :)

Yeah, Klinsi did. Germany - and particularly Matthaus - were in decline though, and leaking goals in a wholly unaccustomed way. Speaking of blocky patterns:

campos.jpg

Jorge - you utter tit!

World Cup Willie was the best. Fact. End of.

2nd for me. T, can you remember much about '66 then?

Outrageous comment! Ciao was the best World Cup mascot ever:

ciao_italia.jpg

Fascinating facts: the organisers had several different names they considered as well as Ciao. They were also pondering "Bomber", and "Dribbly". The latter would've been a gaffe par excellence!

Shaun, go and do one of your epic polls with all the world cup mascots, we need a definitive result.

I think the france one was some blue and red parrot.

2nd for me. T, can you remember much about '66 then?

Of course I can't. :angry:

Shaun, go and do one of your epic polls with all the world cup mascots, we need a definitive result.

I think the france one was some blue and red parrot.

This is this year's one. He actually looks a bit like I imagine you do, Scott!

zakumi.gif

This is this year's one. He actually looks a bit like I imagine you do, Scott!

zakumi.gif

Minus the tail, yeah your spot on!

He is a cool wee mascot I have to say.

To be fair S Africa have amazing animals to choose from. No doubt Scotland's mascot would be some hairy haggis or some such cringeworthy pish.

England's could be this if you get the world cup.

lameduck.jpg

Looks like the lame duck has done his metatarsal in, ouch, a sore yin. :bored:

Minus the tail, yeah your spot on!

He is a cool wee mascot I have to say.

To be fair S Africa have amazing animals to choose from. No doubt Scotland's mascot would be some hairy haggis or some such cringeworthy pish.

England's could be this if you get the world cup.

lameduck.jpg

Looks like the lame duck has done his metatarsal in, ouch, a sore yin. :bored:

:rofl:

If England ever get it, wouldn't it be a Morris Dancer or some such nonsense?

Archived