Australian Open

Deek

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC Sport needs to make tennis like cricket.....still 7-6 Murray but now 40-15!

Match point

He's there!

Geoff Kilpatrick

If Murray beats Nadal he has a real chance.

The interesting question is that he'll be playing on Tuesday - Australia Day. It's forecast to be 34 and humid! :wacko:

If Nadal gets through of course. He's a different player this year, he seems to have lost a lot of bulk, maybe the power has gone as well?

First set struggle...but from then on seemed straight forward..

However, I don't think he'll win. I don't think he'll win anytime... I want him to...but don't think he will....please prove me wrong.....

34 degrees/ humidity........pfft!

Geoff Kilpatrick
If Nadal gets through of course. He's a different player this year, he seems to have lost a lot of bulk, maybe the power has gone as well?

I've not really been watching the tourney to be honest. Tennis isn't my thing so I couldn't say if Nadal has lost 'power' or not. All I know is that he's bloody good!

That was a sublime display, those points to break to love in the third set were stunning.

He will win a major, he's not Henman, he's not the choker Henman was, he's far more determined and steely. He will win a slam tournament, if he plays like he did today he might yet win this one. The surface suits his game more than grass and he's on form and improved in every game I've seen him play last week. These are good omens.

That was a sublime display, those points to break to love in the third set were stunning.

He will win a major, he's not Henman, he's not the choker Henman was, he's far more determined and steely. He will win a slam tournament, if he plays like he did today he might yet win this one. The surface suits his game more than grass and he's on form and improved in every game I've seen him play last week. These are good omens.

Can I stick with my pessimistic heid...whilst secretly praying....?

I'm not putting money on him or anything, I've seen Federer, who looked strong as ever, but I've not seen Nadal or Djokovic yet. Who knows what'll happen when he faces Nadal.

He's the first Brit to reach the quarters in Oz in 15 years, that's impressive enough.

What we do know is that he can beat and has beaten both Federer and Nadal and he will again. If he does it at the right time, he'll win a slam.

The interesting question is that he'll be playing on Tuesday - Australia Day. It's forecast to be 34 and humid! :wacko:

Pretty sure it's an evening match (8am over here) will it still be 34c and humid?

Geoff Kilpatrick
Pretty sure it's an evening match (8am over here) will it still be 34c and humid?

Hmmm, well the Bureau is forecasting an afternoon cool change but the last time they did that it didn't change till overnight so it was a horrible night's sleep, even with air conditioning!

I'm just glad he did it in straight sets, for the purely selfish reason that I won't be up until 4 in the morning.

Were you still up to hear the post-match interview?

Something along the lines of 'Aye, it was a tough match but I needed to make sure it finished in three sets so Tazio could get tae his bed.'

On a related note...

_47173517_muz_466.jpg

(pic from BBC site)

Have you seen the size of his forearms...holy moly!!!

I P Knightley

Something along the lines of 'Aye, it was a tough match but I needed to make sure it finished in three sets so Tazio could get tae his bed.'

On a related note...

:biglaugh: re Tazio!

Re the forearms, I wonder if he's got a similar regime to mine that has also resulted in a pretty impressive right forearm??

The Old Tolbooth

If (and its a big if) Murray gets past Nadal, he will most probably face Del Potro in the semi, and Federer in the final, I really cant see him battling past all of those guys as he's bound to choke at some point, especially seeing as Federer owns him when it matters.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
If (and its a big if) Murray gets past Nadal, he will most probably face Del Potro in the semi, and Federer in the final, I really cant see him battling past all of those guys as he's bound to choke at some point, especially seeing as Federer owns him when it matters.

Del Potro is out.

The Murray-Nadal match could be a cracker. Their match at the Aussie Open a couple of years back was brillant.

As for Murray being labelled a choker, he is anything but.

loveofthegame

Sat up and watched it- Murray showed the world class form he will need to produce to get close to beating Nadal. What a match it will be though, def taking the morning off uni!

If Murray was a better server i have absolutely no doubt that he'd make it to World number 1 and win multiple majors. The lack of a decent serve could unfortunately ultimately lead to him never fulfilling his full potential.

BUT- will stick my neck out and go for Murray in 4.... only to lose to Cilic in the semi's no doubt!!!!

loveofthegame

On a related note...

_47173517_muz_466.jpg

(pic from BBC site)

They call that tennis arm.... honest!

Del Potro is out.

The Murray-Nadal match could be a cracker. Their match at the Aussie Open a couple of years back was brillant.

As for Murray being labelled a choker, he is anything but.

Agree with that. It's far too early to call him a choker. This year is a big one for him and there's various factors why I can really see him winning one this year.

The Nadal match is massive. Murray's played better so far in the tournament and it's vital to get off to a good start. If he can get through it, he's got a great chance to make the final. It would be Roddick or Cilic in the semis and although they beat him in the last two Slams, neither is playing that well despite making it through to the quarters.

Will definitely help that the Nadal match will get played at night though.

I P Knightley
Agree with that. It's far too early to call him a choker. This year is a big one for him and there's various factors why I can really see him winning one this year.

The Nadal match is massive. Murray's played better so far in the tournament and it's vital to get off to a good start. If he can get through it, he's got a great chance to make the final. It would be Roddick or Cilic in the semis and although they beat him in the last two Slams, neither is playing that well despite making it through to the quarters.

Will definitely help that the Nadal match will get played at night though.

Are we sure that it's a night match? I thought they didn't put out the schedules until the day before. Might be different in the later stages.

It really ought to be the winner of Nadal v Murray who makes it to the final. Cilic struggled to beat a pretty uninspired Del Potro and Roddick was taken all teh way by Gonzo who, if his temperament hadn't let him down on the Hawkeye ruling at the end of set 4, would have been sterner oppo in the final set, perhaps edging it.

Murray & Nadal, on the other hand, have shown on signs of struggling so far.

Are we sure that it's a night match? I thought they didn't put out the schedules until the day before. Might be different in the later stages.

It really ought to be the winner of Nadal v Murray who makes it to the final. Cilic struggled to beat a pretty uninspired Del Potro and Roddick was taken all teh way by Gonzo who, if his temperament hadn't let him down on the Hawkeye ruling at the end of set 4, would have been sterner oppo in the final set, perhaps edging it.

Murray & Nadal, on the other hand, have shown on signs of struggling so far.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't, as they tend to put the big matches on at night (including both semis and final). Then again if it's Australia Day they might think they'll get better TV ratings during the day. I still think it'll be night though, hopefully the European broadcasters will have some pull with it.

Definitely agree with what you say about both Roddick and Cilic. Del Potro was lucky to even make it that far. I'd expect Roddick to beat Cilic because he's stronger mentally and Cilic has had some really long matches so far.

If it was a Masters Series event then I'd expect Murray to win but the best of five sets is the variable and makes it a toss of a coin. Don't think Nadal is still at his best, particularly with his confidence, and Murray has to take advantage of it.

And on marches Davydenko. I'm not really sure why he's a world class tennis player, but he is.

I've probably said this a million times before, but this is Murray's tournament for the taking.

He's in good form, he has the beating of Federer and it's on his favourite surface. Plus he has no Wimbledon-style pressure.

I reckon he'll lose to Nadal but I wish him all the best.

I P Knightley
And on marches Davydenko. I'm not really sure why he's a world class tennis player, but he is.

I've probably said this a million times before, but this is Murray's tournament for the taking.

He's in good form, he has the beating of Federer and it's on his favourite surface. Plus he has no Wimbledon-style pressure.

I reckon he'll lose to Nadal but I wish him all the best.

I fully agree on all points. Murray's the only quarter finalist not to have dropped a set in the previous 4 matches. Coupled with the confidence that must surely follow from such an outstanding performance on Sunday, and the fact that Oz is a better surface for Murray than Nadal he really ought to go into tomorrow's match as a slight favourite.

It really is a test of whether his developing maturity is strong enough to match his shot making skills.

Just looked in the calendar - I have back-to-back meetings through tomorrow morning :(

loveofthegame

This must be the highest quality mens tennis has been in a long time no?! Fed, Nadal, Murray, Davydenko and Djokovic all playing world class tennis and I believe any of them is capable of beating any of the others on their day.

Not to forget that Roddick and Cilic are both players who on their day can beat practically anyone.

Standard of men's tennis is frightening right now!

The Murray v Nadal match is confirmed for 08:30 tomorrow. The BBC commentators mentioned it during the Federer v Hewitt match. The commentator Chris Bailey seemed quite excited that Sue Barker & Tim Henman are going to be in the studio.

chester copperpot
The Murray v Nadal match is confirmed for 08:30 tomorrow. The BBC commentators mentioned it during the Federer v Hewitt match. The commentator Chris Bailey seemed quite excited that Sue Barker & Tim Henman are going to be in the studio.

Cheers for that, will need to set the alarm now. :biggrin:

This must be the highest quality mens tennis has been in a long time no?! Fed, Nadal, Murray, Davydenko and Djokovic all playing world class tennis and I believe any of them is capable of beating any of the others on their day.

Not to forget that Roddick and Cilic are both players who on their day can beat practically anyone.

Standard of men's tennis is frightening right now!

Agreed watching it in Australia at the moment and Murray has been superb will be a great game but he will struggle to get a better chance to break his duck

Geoff Kilpatrick

Murray just defended 3 break points to bring the fifth game back to deuce. Some cracking stuff from both players so far.

Geoff Kilpatrick

3-2 Murray - given the way Federer played last night and the way these two are playing, a Federer v Nadal/Murray final would be scarily good.

Huge couple of games there for Murray, breaking back and then saving all these break points.

How long did Nadal need before challenging?!

I P Knightley
Nadal breaks!

I've only got intermittent visuals and no sound.

Can you confirm whether, in the game where Murray was broken, he took a backhand volley on a shot by Nadal that was clearly going out - in the rally when Nadal went on to win the game with that magnificent chase down?

If Murray keeps Nadal running like that, he should make his legs hurt badly again.

I P Knightley
Huge couple of games there for Murray, breaking back and then saving all these break points.

How long did Nadal need before challenging?!

Was that what Murray was mumpin about? It looked like Nadal was taking the p a little; first by asking for an umpire over-rule before going to Hawkeye. I guess it's within the rules but glad that Nadal was wrong.

Geoff Kilpatrick
I've only got intermittent visuals and no sound.

Can you confirm whether, in the game where Murray was broken, he took a backhand volley on a shot by Nadal that was clearly going out - in the rally when Nadal went on to win the game with that magnificent chase down?

If Murray keeps Nadal running like that, he should make his legs hurt badly again.

Confirmed.

Was that what Murray was mumpin about? It looked like Nadal was taking the p a little; first by asking for an umpire over-rule before going to Hawkeye. I guess it's within the rules but glad that Nadal was wrong.

Yeah it was. It was the usual Nadal where he takes forever to do anything!

That was a huge first set to win considering he saved all these break points and messed up a few set points. Wee bit of breathing room for the second set now.

Standard is pretty scary to say the least.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Murray needs to get this done in straights - can't see him lasting four/five sets fitness wise.

Archived