Australian Open

Deek

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, solid start from Murray. The event's wide open: I think there are as many as seven realistic contenders, but we won't know if Murray's for real until a likely quarter-final with the improving but still not back to his best Nadal. I'm going to tip Djokovic to win it I think - but I've no confidence in saying that, and it's all very unpredictable really.

Far more interesting than Murray, though, is shrieking cheat Sharapova being knocked out by hot stuff Kirilenko. Maybe the latter has a future in tennis after all? Though if she gives it up and decides to make, I dunno, some adult movies instead, I wouldn't be complaining...

maria-kirilenko-pictures-01.jpg

I P Knightley
Good, solid start from Murray. The event's wide open: I think there are as many as seven realistic contenders, but we won't know if Murray's for real until a likely quarter-final with the improving but still not back to his best Nadal. I'm going to tip Djokovic to win it I think - but I've no confidence in saying that, and it's all very unpredictable really.

Far more interesting than Murray, though, is shrieking cheat Sharapova being knocked out by hot stuff Kirilenko. Maybe the latter has a future in tennis after all? Though if she gives it up and decides to make, I dunno, some adult movies instead, I wouldn't be complaining...

That's the exact same photo fr which I got the URL before logging on to JKB :biglaugh:

Andy Murray's website has a tweet comment from him saying, "All the cressing room is watching Sharapova v Kirilenko. Can't think why..."

I don't do women's tennis but I would make some exceptions.

sharapova.jpgmaria-kirilenko.jpg

Woohoo.

I love Maria Kirilenko.

<-----------

loveofthegame

Easy win for Murray. Was suprised by Del Potro and how sloppily he played at times, let a few decisions really get to him.

Convinced Murray will comfortably reach the last 8, then it'll start to get interesting. Will be good to see Nadal a few times before then as not sure what kind of form he is really in. Certainly not the Nadal of a year ago.

No reason why Murray can't win it, but you can say exactly the same for at least the 4 other top players, plus perhaps outsiders such as Davydenko. Very open tournament.

The Old Tolbooth

The draw hasn't been kind to the choker, Nadal in the quarters (if Murray doesn't choke before then) and probably Del Potro in the semis.

Murray seems to have dropped his Fred Perry gear for Adidas.

Signed a big deal wth Adidas last year sometime.

He is absolutely raking it in in terms of sponsorships alone.

RBS (who have their well known financial problems) still pay him ?1million a year in sponsorship!

:rubeyes:

Kirilenko is immense.

Easy expected win for Murray. I actually think he's got an alright draw. He would have a decent chance of beating Nadal and he's got a good record against Del Potro. It's better than the other half which has got Federer, Djokovic and Davydenko. Some of the top players are rusty this time of the year. So one or two might not even make the quarters.

If he plays Monfils in the last 16, that's the same type of all or nothing player he lost to last year and at the US Open.

I P Knightley
Signed a big deal wth Adidas last year sometime.

He is absolutely raking it in in terms of sponsorships alone.

RBS (who have their well known financial problems) still pay him ?1million a year in sponsorship!

:rubeyes:

I didn't know it was that much. I know, though, that he was offered more lucrative sponsorship elsewhere when his last RBS deal was running out but he stuck with RBS out of loyalty as they had supported his early years.

I suppose it's quite easy to be that loyal when you're still grossing a seven figure sum just for some stitching on your sleeve :)

Del Potro breaks. 9-8

Damn, Hopefully this long match will effect Del Potro if he gets through.

I like him, but I want Murray to reach a major final unlike the hobo's.

Damn, Hopefully this long match will effect Del Potro if he gets through.

I like him, but I want Murray to reach a major final unlike the hobo's.

Del Potro wins. He's still a contender - but as things stand, I think Roddick will put him out in the last eight. Roddick-Djokovic is my current call for the final, I think.

Del Potro wins. He's still a contender - but as things stand, I think Roddick will put him out in the last eight. Roddick-Djokovic is my current call for the final, I think.

I admire you putting your neck out on the line with that final pick!

I havent watched many of the close season tournaments but if Roddick is on his peak form like the tail-end of last season then he could make it. If not, then there is no reason to suggest he could be Del Potro, especially on clay.

Davydenko as a dark horse perhaps?

I cant see past Nadal on clay, when it comes to making a final, but he may not win it this year.

Chad Sexington
I admire you putting your neck out on the line with that final pick!

I havent watched many of the close season tournaments but if Roddick is on his peak form like the tail-end of last season then he could make it. If not, then there is no reason to suggest he could be Del Potro, especially on clay.

I cant see past Nadal on clay, when it comes to making a final, but he may not win it this year.

Australian is hard court, mate :biggrin:

The French is played on clay.

Australian is hard court, mate :biggrin:

The French is played on clay.

Shoot me now. :rubeyes:

I have been itching to watch a match since it started too, if i had seen a match I would of worked that out (id like to think) haha.

:(

Hewitt to win. :527: haha.

Yes, definitely. Don't rule him out. The trouble is he has to get past Federer and Djokovic just to make the final, which is surely too much to ask.

On Roddick: his chances will improve if Murray beats Nadal in the last eight, or at least if they play each other to a standstill. Otherwise, beating Nadal on rebound ace will be very tough; particularly as Rafa is improving match by match.

I'm not sure he can be called a dark horse when you look at his recent form. Absolutely nobody will be wanting to play him at the moment.

The last two days have had some brilliant matches. First the Youzhny-Gasquet match, then the Del Potro-Blake one.

Del Potro's looked fragile early on and he seems to have a few injuries but he's the type that always has an injury or two. If he plays Roddick in the quarters, it's a 50-50 match.

The next round for Murray should be as simple as it was today. From then on, it'll get very tough.

I can see Djokovic making it to the final from the top half. But I've no idea from the bottom. Can't see it being Roddick though, just don't see him beating Del Potro and then either Murray/Nadal.

I P Knightley

Saturday morning should see a real rip-snorter between Baghdatis and Hewitt.

We've lost the delights of Ana Ivanovic for another tourney. How did she ever become #1? Further evidence against women's tennis although there are always some great photos.

Here's one demonstrating the effects of upper body momentum in producing power behind the forehand drive:

_47155067_serena766.jpg

I P Knightley
Saturday morning should see a real rip-snorter between Baghdatis and Hewitt.

I've got a knack for putting a hex on a tennis match!

6-0, a few more games and then Baghdatis gives up.

I could have stayed in bed :(

I've got a knack for putting a hex on a tennis match!

6-0, a few more games and then Baghdatis gives up.

I could have stayed in bed :(

Didn't see any of it. I watched Tsonga v Hass instead. Good match, though should have went 5 sets.

Murray's on at 5 past midnight on BBC1 tonight.

Miller Jambo 60
Murray just knocking up for his first match.

I dont think he will win the tournament though.

I like the boy Deek , its just his mother, what a tube.

sorry .

doug.

loveofthegame

Def sitting up to watch tonights match. Could be a tough one, likely to have tie breaks due to Isner's big serve. Going for Murray in 4 sets.

portobellojambo1
Def sitting up to watch tonights match. Could be a tough one, likely to have tie breaks due to Isner's big serve. Going for Murray in 4 sets.

What time is KO, or the tennis equivalent.

Edit - Just saw the post above quoting 12:05.

Murray's match will be a tough one. Needs to be more careful on his serve than he's been in other matches because it'll be very difficult to break Isner.

Good thing is that he usually does alright against big servers. That better not be a jinx comment though!

I P Knightley

This Isner fella's not got an attractive game about him. Brutal serving & that's about it.

Tie-breaks beckon but Murray looks to have the better game to see him through.

This Isner fella's not got an attractive game about him. Brutal serving & that's about it.

Tie-breaks beckon but Murray looks to have the better game to see him through.

I also think he may have stamina issues. That heat can't be easy when you're that size.

Everybody loves Baz

Feck this, an hour a set? be here till yon time.

This has 5 sets all over it. :rubeyes:

Nighty night.

Murray broke but is in danger,,,deuce!

Adv from 15-40!

Wow...deuce Murray for 2nd set though!

What's with the bunch of guys singing football songs between sets? And I've just realised they are singing "we're on the march with Isners army".

I P Knightley
I also think he may have stamina issues. That heat can't be easy when you're that size.

As the commentator said, It can't help being that bit closer to the sun!

Bloody Hell - What a couple of points to win the break!

Exactly what you'd expect from a guy with such a 'Loser mentality' :)

2 points that you might expect from Federer but even from him, not in succession.

Archived