Its Proper Snow!

Doctor FinnBarr

Do we just have to accept though that the country stops when it's bad snow? It will presumably cost the economy more with nobody working than it would be to buy adequate machinery, staff and grit and have us all moving.

This is the UK, why aren't we able to cope with bad weather? I wonder how countries in Scandanavia cope with snow like this?

My wife is Swedish and she says the reason they cope over in Scandinavia is that they are used to heavy snow during the winter. It's a part of life for them and has crucially it has been over a regular period. Over there you have to have snow tyres on your car from November to April by law and everyone apparently takes a course in how to drive safely in the snow as part of their driving lessons.

Unfortunately for us in the UK we have lost the ability to drive in the snow as we have relatively mild winters for 20 to 30 years with little snow up until last year and the country as a whole has lost the ability to cope i think.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Old Tolbooth

• blondejamtart

• Beats

• davemclaren

I'm :vangry: I was meant to have 2 interviews this week, both have been cancelled. The have given alternative dates for one and I won't be able to attend, I feel that I have lost out on getting a job with better pay and conditions and better prospects through no fault of my own.

How much is a new ice gritter truck? between 100 and 200 k? How many do we suggest the council buy to park up incase we have another snow dump like this in the next 20 yrs? How many drivers do you want them to train, how much salt should be procured for the new additional fleet?

Maybe we could park them up next to the trams?

Can't remember anything like this in the city centre before. Just been another prolonged blizzard in the Meadows and the piles of snow continue to grow. Given the way the temperatures are set to plummet then I can see this being around for ages. Can't see anyway there will be fitba in Scotland this weekend.

CavySlaveJambo

To be fair, the weather at the moment seems pretty extreme compared to what we routinely get in winter, so it's no wonder our infrastructure is struggling to cope.

But can two consecutive winters class this as a freak occurance?

The Mighty Thor

Can't remember anything like this in the city centre before. Just been another prolonged blizzard in the Meadows and the piles of snow continue to grow. Given the way the temperatures are set to plummet then I can see this being around for ages. Can't see anyway there will be fitba in Scotland this weekend.

I'd be shocked if there was any football on this weekend.

Give it five minutes though and someone will be along with the 'But the polis dinnae shut the shopping centres likesy' argument. rolleyes.gif

just so folk know the trains that come from South Gyle to Edinburgh Waverley seem to be off and the buses from the gyle are choc a bloc and not taking on many passangers!

Doctor FinnBarr

Jeez, when I 1st started this thread I didn't think our snow could get much worse than what it was-but I was wrong, this easily out does it! theres so much fell (between 2 and a half and 3 feet I would reckon) my Vectra is now the size and shape as a People Carrier!

On the plus side tho, my garden now looks as good as everyone elses.

:thumbsup:

So much for it getting slightly better today just looked out my window and it's probably the worst it has been so far it's a blizzard here in Prestonpans.

How much is a new ice gritter truck? between 100 and 200 k? How many do we suggest the council buy to park up incase we have another snow dump like this in the next 20 yrs? How many drivers do you want them to train, how much salt should be procured for the new additional fleet?

Maybe we could park them up next to the trams?

In Norway they do not have full-time coonsil employees doing snow clearing with expensive equipment. Local truck drivers / farmers are employed on a part-time basis with snow ploughs temporarily attached to the front of their trucks / tractors. No salting or gritting, just clear the soft snow from the roads and then drive on winter tyres. In my 10 winters living there I was only late for work once and that was due to a snow blower heaving snow into my driveway over-night and I had to dig out an exit for my car.

They trouble in the UK is that people do not know how to drive in snow. I cannot believe the number of photos of 4x4s abandoned by the side of the road.

Edited by Tasavallan

maroonlegions

We got mail yesterday, only junk mail though. Could be due to the fact we live close to the delivery office in Portobello.

New Xbox hasn't arrived though. Still stuck in the West Midlands. :angry:

Me the wife and the bairns travelled down to our local deliver office to pick our mail and some parcels, just managed to get out of Buckstone , had to get out of the car a few times to push the car, fell on my sun don't shine once in the process.Morningside road was not to bad but the road to the deliver office in Falcon road was bad.

Well, I thought I was going to Aberdeen today. Got as far as the Forth Bridge and promptly about turned and went home. :smiliz23:

Driving conditions are atrocious out there guys!! :down:

Carl Fredrickson

I was meant to be on jury duty today but after a 2 hour struggle in ~(should be half an hour), I was told to go home and call tonight to see if I am needed tomorrow. Another 2 hour journey home and it is still snowing.... :smiliz21:

I hope that the football survives. It would be ridiculous if it didn't. I have just been at Ocean Terminal and it is open and trading quite the thing.

Do you remember Mercedes the bear, who was moved up to Aviemore, well she is like, emm like, emm like, a Polar Bear in the snow. :santa4:

_46962424_mercedes.jpg

And this winter she's sharing the enclosure with a male called Walker

_50164160_polarbear3_pa.jpg

Working at the bottom on Dundas St in Edin today... There is a guy skiing along the streets!! never thought i would see that looking out the window.

mind you he was getting along the road much easier than most people.

• 11 months later...

04/12/2011

And so it begins...

That's why i just bought one of these beasts.

Where's my pic gone? Anyway It's a Pajero. Mint condition. I don't want to miss work. Heavy on fuel but get you anywhere in comfort.

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/used_0_mitsubishi_pajero_for_sale_94203464602484136.jpg

Edited by robbo1874

Nucky Thompson

04/12/2011

And so it begins...

Hardly :lol: It's just a wee dusting on the ground that will be gone in an hour

Hardly we won't get clPse to the snow we had last year

What? You mean the heaviest fall of snow we have had in a generation? :whistling:

Nucky Thompson

Nope, its froze now.

:(

All gone in Corstorphine :thumbsup: I think the West and Glasgow are due a few more centimeters overnight and the start of the week

CavySlaveJambo

All gone in Corstorphine :thumbsup: I think the West and Glasgow are due a few more centimeters overnight and the start of the week

so are we.

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

**** all up my way(gracemount).

Just looks like scarface sneezed.

Hoping for a repeat of last year, the monday off work, having an all day session and the el clasico that night, fantastic.

was really heavy from Drummochter to about 5 miles outside ullapool today and not a drop in Ullapool very weird :blink:

chester copperpot

Stupid twats in the councils through in Glasgow - knew last nights snow was coming, yet still DIDNT grit the sodding motorways.

were oot yesterday when I was working mate.