Umbro

JAMBONI

That can't be right, will HMFC not be long gone, and flats, Tesco's built on Gorgie Road?

I'm sure all the Hobo's who are experts on everything Hearts will dispute the deal........................................................:rolleyes:

:108years:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
?1m over 3 years?

Thought we were on ?1m per year just now?

Just been on the Radio Scotland news ...............deal is worth OVER ?3m and covers the next 3 years

Its ****ing 3 mil over 3 years.

Now pick the bones out of that one ya negative *****.

:D

PS - are hibs still looking to get out of 'the ******' strip deal?

what i liked about umbro this year was although they like many others do have a standard template,but for a lot of teams they do try and and make them unique...our home kit being a prime example.

delighted with them for a further 3 years i dread to think of some of the peesh we've had over the years:

erea,

olympic sports(where the hell did they come from),

pony

You dont get the watch with it.

I had Brellier model it and he refused to take it off. What can you do?

Book him!

Guest JamboRobbo

So, despite fantasy claims of 1m over 3 years, or 1M a year, it turns out we don't actually get paid anything up front.

We do get the chance to buy the strips at a cheap rate, and we can make money by selling them. Does explain one or two sales we've been having.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Hearts-stripped-for-road-to.4986055.jp

So, despite fantasy claims of 1m over 3 years, or 1M a year, it turns out we don't actually get paid anything up front.

We do get the chance to buy the strips at a cheap rate, and we can make money by selling them. Does explain one or two sales we've been having.

It would seem possible that given the current economic situation that strip sales will go down in the next year or two rather than up.

Guest JamboRobbo
It would seem possible that given the current economic situation that strip sales will go down in the next year or two rather than up.

Who knows mate. Does make you wonder why people make up figures though.

Teams always talk up these sorts of deals. No problem with that. But maybe there will be a problem if the club are budgeting on the sale of more strips.

See, I am often unsure about these deals.

I always felt that if Umbro gave Hearts "?1Million a year" that would be for the right to sell our strips. Meaning that if we sold 1, it would not matter a jot to Hearts, however if we sold ?10 Million strips then the "additional" would not rebound to Hearts. It could be possible that there would be additional bonuses put in that deal, say, if we sell 20,000 units we get an extra lump sum.

The above suggests that the deal Hearts have brokered is to maximise profit from a strip. Say for example we are now paying ?5 a strip instead of ?8 a strip, ensuring further profit for the club.

SURELY it would be daft to expect to get the cash up front AND profit from the strips? Umbro need to make it a profitable deal for themselves also.

Or am I wide of the mark?

Now, if Campbell was to reply to your letter, your life would surely be complete, no?

Whatever the niceties of the deal it appears decent enough, given the economic climate - it does appear to be a primarily sales based deal, but I am sure this is normal for all but the biggest of clubs

A lot of apparent changes took place when Umbro first came in - there was chat on here that they coupled with a few high heid yins at UKIO basically told Romanov to screw the nut a bit more

I think any extension of a deal with a market leader can only portray positivity.

Guest JamboRobbo

SURELY it would be daft to expect to get the cash up front AND profit from the strips? Umbro need to make it a profitable deal for themselves also.

Or am I wide of the mark?

Goes without saying mate.

do you have any facts or quotes to support the theory that we "don't actually get paid anything up front"?

Guest JamboRobbo
do you have any facts or quotes to support the theory that we "don't actually get paid anything up front"?

No, nothing at all. I'm sure I'm wrong and Umbro are paying us 1M a year for the priveledge of making our strips.

No, nothing at all. I'm sure I'm wrong and Umbro are paying us 1M a year for the priveledge of making our strips.

oh i was just interested as to whether it had been confirmed that we don't get anything at all up front, as you stated in a factual, definitive way.

so it hasn't then.

Guest JamboRobbo
oh i was just interested as to whether it had been confirmed that we don't get anything at all up front, as you stated in a factual, definitive way.

so it hasn't then.

Nope. I expect they'll be paying cash up front to make sure they don't miss out.

The figures are not exactly "made up" but based on projected sales (which themselves are based on current sales). That's what businesses do. Only someone very naive would expect ?1m up front and then only sell say 5 shirts. Is that what you really thought? I could see a much smaller percentage figure being agreed up front but there's no chance it's anywhere near ?1m

However you could make your own figure up to tell the world we'll only get a fiver and then you'll be happy.

Guest JamboRobbo
The figures are not exactly "made up" but based on projected sales (which themselves are based on current sales). That's what businesses do. Only someone very naive would expect ?1m up front and then only sell say 5 shirts. Is that what you really thought?

Of course I didn't. And I don't think there's any need for you to insult others like that either.

Well maybe, maybe it's the fact that the club gets money from this?

How much money do you think the club makes from this deal?

JR

I am sure the current deal was ?1.1m plus over 2 years...... someone might want to verify these figs.

Hopefully it will be along the same lines.

Excellent news & congrats to the commercial dept. on securing this deal. At ?1M per year that represents approx 10-15% of Hearts annual budget & is thus a significant amount of money coming into the club each year.

?1M a year eh.

Of course I didn't. And I don't think there's any need for you to insult others like that either.

I got the idea that's what you thought from your comment below.

No, nothing at all. I'm sure I'm wrong and Umbro are paying us 1M a year for the priveledge of making our strips

Make up your mind and BE HAPPY!

Guest JamboRobbo

I got the idea that's what you thought from your comment below.

No, nothing at all. I'm sure I'm wrong and Umbro are paying us 1M a year for the priveledge of making our strips

In that case, get back to me when you learn to read properly.

The collar looks like the old Le Coq collars that the Hobos had in the 1990s.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Umbro denied that was anything like the new England top

may be a training top

The figures are not exactly "made up" but based on projected sales (which themselves are based on current sales). That's what businesses do. Only someone very naive would expect ?1m up front and then only sell say 5 shirts. Is that what you really thought? I could see a much smaller percentage figure being agreed up front but there's no chance it's anywhere near ?1m

However you could make your own figure up to tell the world we'll only get a fiver and then you'll be happy.

To be fair though, it isn't inconceivable that Hearts could have brokered a deal with a lump sum up front. For example, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Premiership clubs negotiate deals in the tens of Millions. Whilst a club like Tottenham (for example) is likely to sell more strips than us, is it likely to be THAT much more? I am not so sure.

In a different climate it would not be outwith the realms of possibility for Hearts to announce a deal with Umbro that would be worth, say, ?500,000 up front and a percentage of every strip sale. Further announcing that if we sell 50,000 strips it would bring a further ?1 Million in to the club.

Actually, as an aside to that, I don't know why Hearts don't advertise something like that. We could say something like "If we reach the target of ?50,000 replica shirt sales, then ?1 Million pounds can be put directly into our youth academy." Obviously, we could change the "youth academy" bit to "transfer fees" if we wanted.

Obviously, fans know buying the strips help the club, but if there was a direct aim and an understanding that each specific sale goes towards something particular then some fans may be more forthcoming.

Actually, as an aside to that, I don't know why Hearts don't advertise something like that. We could say something like "If we reach the target of ?50,000 replica shirt sales, then ?1 Million pounds can be put directly into our youth academy." Obviously, we could change the "youth academy" bit to "transfer fees" if we wanted.

Obviously, fans know buying the strips help the club, but if there was a direct aim and an understanding that each specific sale goes towards something particular then some fans may be more forthcoming.

The club don't like disclosing fees. You have to if it's above ?10m but alas, this is not.

25,000 shirts x ?40 = ?1m anyway :)

Guest JamboRobbo

agreed.

Francis Albert

Am I missing something? This is as far as I can see is the first reference on this thread to money up front. And the quoted article confirms the highest estimate made on this thread of ?3m over three years.

The People's Chimp

I'd like to see us trying to sell our strips abroad as well. I know we're hardly the biggest name, but people do buy random strips, and ours, if done correctly, should be classic, understated perfection.

When i was in Munich there were two season worth of our hummel strips in a football shop, alongside sellik, with no huns and, of course, no hobos, in sight!

Of course, had we signed Ivanauskas' Korean then things might have been rather easier in this department. :whistling:

The club don't like disclosing fees. You have to if it's above ?10m but alas, this is not.

25,000 shirts x ?40 = ?1m anyway :)

How much do Umbro get out of that figure above? ;)

I was looking at a basic figure of Umbro getting ?20 and Hearts getting ?20 per shirt.

Out of interest, does anybody have a rough ball park of how many strips we sell (on average) year? Obviously, I picked 50,000 out of my bahookey.

How much do Umbro get out of that figure above? ;)

I was looking at a basic figure of Umbro getting ?20 and Hearts getting ?20 per shirt.

Out of interest, does anybody have a rough ball park of how many strips we sell (on average) year? Obviously, I picked 50,000 out of my bahookey.

Well say Hearts pay Umbro ?5 a shirt for 30,000 shirts (or rather, pay Umbro once Hearts break even on what they agree to pay) so once Hearts sell 3750 shirts, any money they make from then is pure profit.

Guest JamboRobbo
Well say Hearts pay Umbro ?5 a shirt for 30,000 shirts (or rather, pay Umbro once Hearts break even on what they agree to pay) so once Hearts sell 3750 shirts, any money they make from then is pure profit.

Can't believe we're getting them from umbro at ?5 when it's rrp is ?40 though. If that is the deal, it's extremely good for HMFC imo. would perhaps explain how we can afford to sell tops for a tenner.

Can't believe we're getting them from umbro at ?5 when it's rrp is ?40 though. If that is the deal, it's extremely good for HMFC imo.

It's something around that I believe, can't be arsed looking it out but the Umbro guy commented yesterday that Hearts have a massive mark up on the shirts, as would most clubs I reckon who are of similar stature with similar deals

wonder what the deal is with the training gear as we do quite well out of them too

Surely, if we pay ?5 a shirt to Umbro, whether we sell 10,000, 50,000 or 100,000 we will still pay them the same ?5 per shirt? I cannot see Umbro doing any sort of deal that hamstrings them if the strips sell well.

Surely, if we pay ?5 a shirt to Umbro, whether we sell 10,000, 50,000 or 100,000 we will still pay them the same ?5 per shirt? I cannot see Umbro doing any sort of deal that hamstrings them if the strips sell well.

Think Peanut was speaking purely of the figure of 30,000 shirts he mentioned

i.e. initial order with Umbro is for 30,000 shirts, we only really start making money after the first 3,750 are sold

that's not what he's saying !!

Of course if we sold another 30,000 shirts, then we would have to pay UMBRO the fiver per shirt.

i.e. initial order with Umbro is for 30,000 shirts, we only really start making money after the first 3,750 are sold

Exactly. We spend ?150,000 (but we only pay it once we've sold shirts/gear amounting to that figure) buying the shirts, then once that's paid back the rest is pure profit.

Can't believe we're getting them from umbro at ?5 when it's rrp is ?40 though. If that is the deal, it's extremely good for HMFC imo. would perhaps explain how we can afford to sell tops for a tenner.

The slave trade sweat shops in the far east dont charge to much for labour so a ?5 a top isnt too far away for being accuarate. Maybe with inflation its a tenner a top!!:eek:

Guest JamboRobbo
The slave trade sweat shops in the far east dont charge to much for labour so a ?5 a top isnt too far away for being accuarate. Maybe with inflation its a tenner a top!!:eek:

I'm sure Umbro get them for next to nothing. Don't believe they sell them to us for a fiver though.

To be fair though, it isn't inconceivable that Hearts could have brokered a deal with a lump sum up front. For example, someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Premiership clubs negotiate deals in the tens of Millions. Whilst a club like Tottenham (for example) is likely to sell more strips than us, is it likely to be THAT much more? I am not so sure.

In a different climate it would not be outwith the realms of possibility for Hearts to announce a deal with Umbro that would be worth, say, ?500,000 up front and a percentage of every strip sale. Further announcing that if we sell 50,000 strips it would bring a further ?1 Million in to the club.

I think there is a lump sum up front but nothing like ?1m. Quoting from CO in the newspapers he says

"It's mostly dependent on the sales with bonuses worked in"

which suggests to me a tiered arrangement eg

a modest sum up front

the main figure dependent on an agreed sales target

a bonus if that target is exceeded.

In that case, get back to me when you learn to read properly.

It's not easy to read properly when words are spelt incorrectly.

Guest JamboRobbo

It's not easy to read properly when words are spelt incorrectly.

speak for yourself. the odd spelling mistake never stopped me being able to read anything.

that's not what he's saying !!

Of course if we sold another 30,000 shirts, then we would have to pay UMBRO the fiver per shirt.

Exactly. We spend ?150,000 (but we only pay it once we've sold shirts/gear amounting to that figure) buying the shirts, then once that's paid back the rest is pure profit.

D'oh!

Apologies folks!:o

I think there is a lump sum up front but nothing like ?1m. Quoting from CO in the newspapers he says

"It's mostly dependent on the sales with bonuses worked in"

which suggests to me a tiered arrangement eg

a modest sum up front

the main figure dependent on an agreed sales target

a bonus if that target is exceeded.

I don't disagree with that and in fact mentioned as such earlier. All I said was that it was not inconceivable that in a different climate we could broker a deal for ?1 Million up front.

Archived