Berra's move to Wolves completed (merged threads)

Drylaw Hearts

Why?

We picked him up, we trained him, he developed HIS talents and abilities and now he is moving on in his career.

What happens if one of your good work friends moves to another company - is that it? Do you never speak to him/her again?

Football is a career and you do what is best for yourself - same as any other.

Good centre half - not the best we've had but fairly high up the scale. A good fee could prove to be a very important part of our near future i.e. the fee could help to shape our squad for the next two years.

Good luck Berra.

Football is just a bit different to a normal business tho isn't it?

And was he well paid during the time we trained him? Only just beginning to show decent form this season and hey presto sold immediately another 6 months and we could have sold for double the amount, the very kind of short termism I hoped we had moved away from, he was off as soon as he changed agent, who gave him his new car, only benefit, not to Celtic, but remember he and Mick McCarthy are one of those, and could easily be playing for that evil institution next year at this time. So to wish him good luck is not on, I thank him for half a season of decent service, and its a pity he didn't see the season through. Oh and I detest Wolves.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Always Wanderers

Morning all.I've been watching the forum with interest re. the Berra move.

I'm surprised that you don't think that a move to us is a good move for Berra.Granted,there are bigger clubs in England, but we do have a real chance of promotion this season.However,more importantly,Christophe will be a key member of our side and if he is as good as you say,that will give him the chance to get into the EPL - with or without us.There is every chance that he would not be guaranteed a start for some of the other clubs that have been mentioned - especially the likes of Everton.With Wolves,he'll be playing for a side ready for the EPL and because we have many coveted young players(Kightly,Ebanks-Blake,Hennessey,Jarvis etc etc) it is one of the biggest shop windows in the country!!

From our point of view,I read mixed reviews of him on here when we were linked in the Summer.Now,you are virtually unanimous in your praise.Has he massively improved this season?

Anyway,thanks for your time and all the best for the season - irrespective of how this one plays out.

Good luck to Berra he has been a good servant to Hearts, I am excited about this player Csaba keeps talking about as his replacement also we may bring in tha striker he has been talking about as well come on the jambos life goes on.

Grumpy.

Football is just a bit different to a normal business tho isn't it?

And was he well paid during the time we trained him? Only just beginning to show decent form this season and hey presto sold immediately another 6 months and we could have sold for double the amount, the very kind of short termism I hoped we had moved away from, he was off as soon as he changed agent, who gave him his new car, only benefit, not to Celtic, but remember he and Mick McCarthy are one of those, and could easily be playing for that evil institution next year at this time. So to wish him good luck is not on, I thank him for half a season of decent service, and its a pity he didn't see the season through. Oh and I detest Wolves.

Depends on the length of his contract. This may be the best time to sell but it depends on the deal and how good he gets over the next few months.

Then there's the issue about us needing to raise money anyway. :mw_rolleyes:

Wolves is not the right move for berra.

Why, he will treble his wages and get a regular game in a good league and as the wolves supporter said its a better shop window for the EPL. also we would have a sell on clause so everyone is a winner.

Grumpy.

Everybody loves Baz

I'm surprised that you don't think that a move to us is a good move for Berra.Granted,there are bigger clubs in England, but we do have a real chance of promotion this season.However,more importantly,Christophe will be a key member of our side and if he is as good as you say,that will give him the chance to get into the EPL - with or without us.There is every chance that he would not be guaranteed a start for some of the other clubs that have been mentioned - especially the likes of Everton.With Wolves,he'll be playing for a side ready for the EPL and because we have many coveted young players(Kightly,Ebanks-Blake,Hennessey,Jarvis etc etc) it is one of the biggest shop windows in the country!!

From our point of view,I read mixed reviews of him on here when we were linked in the Summer.Now,you are virtually unanimous in your praise.Has he massively improved this season?

Anyway,thanks for your time and all the best for the season - irrespective of how this one plays out.

I would say so .

Csaba said he already has a 23 year old player with Champions League & UEFA Cup experience - that can only be Jose Goncalves?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hearts/2009/01/31/csaba-laszlo-lines-up-replacement-for-hearts-captain-christophe-berra-86908-21085667/

He is on a season long loan deal so we won't see him till the summer.

Add the fact that the thought Jose could replace Berra is hilarious.

Charlie-Brown
He is on a season long loan deal so we won't see him till the summer.

But Hearts could recall him & play him if they do it within the transfer window?

Berra has been our best player this season by a mile, almost to the point that I can't think of him having a poor game. His improvement has been huge, and for me, on current form he is the best centre-half in Scotland at the moment.

I don't think he would get into the current Everton team but if he keeps improving he would eventually. I don't think Wolves is the right move for him, but money talks. He was good enough for all the other Premiership clubs mentioned, barring Everton.

But Hearts could recall him & play him if they do it within the transfer window?

Depends on the deal but I certainly hope we don't.

blondejamtart

Always Wanderers, I don't think you should necessarily view some of the comments here as being a slight against your club. I've said I'm not sure if a move to Wolves would be right for Berra because although he has matured and improved considerably in the past couple of seasons, I'd certainly rather see him stay at least until the end of the season. I'm just not convinced a move south of the border full stop would be right for him at the moment in time, that's all.

Apologies for quoting the whole post, but that was pretty much what I was going to say. Surely Wolves isn't that bad a move. If they go up Christophe will be playing in the EPL. If they don't go up but he's been a stand-out player for them there's a strong possibility of him being snapped up by one of the EPL teams. And if they don't go up and he hasn't been a stand-out player for them...perhaps he isn't quite EPL material yet.

I'd much prefer to keep a player of his quality but in our current financial circumstances (as far as I'm aware - I don't really know for sure any more than the next Joe) it seems as if we've been made an offer we can't refuse.

Just hope that we're getting the absolute best offer we can, not one of the Pieman bargain basement fire sale ones.

I can't help but think (hope?) we're giving them permission to talk and going so public about it as an attempt to flush out some other bids... Time will tell I guess.

The bad news of course is that he's clearly not one of the big earners we need off the wage bill this window!

I can't help but think (hope?) we're giving them permission to talk and going so public about it as an attempt to flush out some other bids... Time will tell I guess.

The bad news of course is that he's clearly not one of the big earners we need off the wage bill this window!

But no one is going to bid any higher than Wolves accepted bid. So from our point of view it is completely irrelevant.

Charlie-Brown
Depends on the deal but I certainly hope we don't.

I'm not saying I hope we do or don't although Goncalves when he first arrived was ten times the player who departed very low on form & confidence, it would be interesting to see if his time in the Bundesliga or Csaba could recapture his earlier form.....anyway the only reason for my post was to see if other people interpreted Csaba's words as I did? "I already have...."

Csaba said he already has a 23 year old player with Champions League & UEFA Cup experience - that can only be Jose Goncalves?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hearts/2009/01/31/csaba-laszlo-lines-up-replacement-for-hearts-captain-christophe-berra-86908-21085667/

I think that can be put down to a mis-interpretation of something Csaba has said. He probably means he already has someone he is interested in. If you write down everything Csaba says word for word he makes lots of little mistakes like this.

Plus, the quote says the player has represented his county-Jose doesn't have a full cap for Portugal.

From berras point of view i think its a good move, a lot of quality young players there, looks like they are going up to EPL, on the whole the championship is a better standard than the SPL. will of course be dissapointed if he signs, but the lads a good profesional, hasnt once come out trying to force a move. he will go on to be a top class player IMO.

markletissier

i think he should be holding out till the end of the season for a move up rather than a sidewards step.

good luck to the lad nonetheless.

I'm not saying I hope we do or don't although Goncalves when he first arrived was ten times the player who departed very low on form & confidence, it would be interesting to see if his time in the Bundesliga or Csaba could recapture his earlier form.....anyway the only reason for my post was to see if other people interpreted Csaba's words as I did? "I already have...."

He says he already has a player lined up. That to me suggests it is currently no one connected with the club.

Jose may one day be a decent left back he will never be a centre half.

ToadKiller Dog

Wolves are not to bad a club for him to move to ,there will be pressure for him to perform ,but they are a club that will give him time to find his feet ,Wolves are always going to be a top end championship with the odd season in the top flight that not likely to change ,Rather he went to a team fighting promotion than one fighting relegation,they are more likely to forgive any mistakes he makes.

Wish him well if Wolves is his choice.

Whats more important is that we get as near the price we demanded as possible.

Guest JamboRobbo

Agreed mate.

He has just that little bit bigger, a little stronger, a bit more composed this year. And it's made all the difference. He really has come on this season, at SPL level. How that'll compare with Wolves I'm not sure but I think you've got a CH with all the physical attributes required to play at the top level - big, strong, and very good pace. He just needs to keep challenging himself and keep improving his game.

Always Wanderers

Our other first choice CB(Stearman) has been an excellent buy for us.He is pretty quick and very good(for a CB) on the ball.He's probably what you'd call a 'cultured centre half'.

What we are desperate for is a commanding player alongside him.The one weakness about Stearman is that he hasn't (yet) got the physique to bully forwards and we sometimes are vulnerable because of that.We also need a leader(I believe he's your captain) to organise what is a young back four.

Is Berra the 'type' we need?

Guest JamboRobbo
Our other first choice CB(Stearman) has been an excellent buy for us.He is pretty quick and very good(for a CB) on the ball.He's probably what you'd call a 'cultured centre half'.

What we are desperate for is a commanding player alongside him.The one weakness about Stearman is that he hasn't (yet) got the physique to bully forwards and we sometimes are vulnerable because of that.We also need a leader(I believe he's your captain) to organise what is a young back four.

Is Berra the 'type' we need?

If you need someone to bully centre forwards, Berra is your man. Big enough, strong enough and fast enough. Leadership wise he's sitll young and a little quiet IMO, but leads by example to an extent with his challenges and commitment.

Good luck to berra, i just hope that we can get a bit more that ?2 million that was first offered

BlackhallJambo

Always wanderers,

Interesting to hear a WW fan`s perspective. Berra has certainly developed fantastically well this season. His reading of the game has got better and better. He has got pace to burn and his leadership skills have increased dramatically. In truth I think given his age and the fact that he is on a long term contract ?3 millon is cheap given that Hutton went south for ?9 million. But with the financial crisis and Romanov supposedly flying in to Edinburgh today I suspect Berra will go for whatever he can get maybe even less than ?3million. Guess it just depends on whether Romanov has started a bidding war with other clubs. He is a shrewd operator in this area!

Best wishes and good luck in your push for the EPL

portobellojambo1

There is absolutely no doubt he has improved considerably between the time of Wolves last approach and now. Although he is still very much in what I would class as 'the learning curve', he is not the finished article.

To me for Berra to consider Wolves at this time it has to be about money.

Certainly Wolves are in the mix, in fact pole position, for promotion to the EPL, but I suspect there will be a lot of movement at the top end of the division before it is all settled (from what I have seen on television the top 7 or 8 sides look as if they are all more than capable of beating each other, there is no stand out cert. to go up), and from my point of view when I see a Hearts player leave and go to England I hope it is because they are going to better themselves. If Wolves miss out on promotion this season and potter about in the championship for another few years has Berra actually improved his career, or his bank balance, the latter I would say.

I believe another year/ couple of years at Hearts, with a bash at European football, and Berra (like Andy Driver) will be in a position where he can not only dictate money, but select the club of his choice.

Nothing against Wolves, but if I were a player and the options were to play in the Coca Cola Championship or play at the top end of the SPL, with a chance to show your talent in Europe I would go for the latter, irrespective of the money available via the former.

Anyway, time I wasn't here, Hamilton calls, the bus is due and the pub is beckoning. Another day in the life of a football fan.

But no one is going to bid any higher than Wolves accepted bid. So from our point of view it is completely irrelevant.

Not necessarily - Porter is a prime recent example. ?200k from Huddersfield followed by circa ?400k from Cardiff!

But in any case, I was meaning from the point of view of Berra and the debate on here as to whether it's a good move for him and whether he'll accept... or not.

Jamboscanbevicius

It's a real shame to lose Berra - especially for around ?2.5m which I would suspect it will be. He has kept us together at times this year.

On a positive note it may stabilise our financial position as it will mean we have trimmed 7 players wages (4 youth players, Rapnik, Basso, and Berra) from the squad and brought in a significant fee. Plus Beslija and Ksanavicius who already left, so the wagebill to turnover ratio should be getting steadily better.

Hopefully it will also give us the funds to tie up Karipidis, Aguiar, Neilson and McDonald on new contracts so that we can realise transfer fees for them in the future.

At a real stretch we can maybe even get Balogh finally signed, get Black in now, get a replacement for Berra and a striker.

When you consider all of this, and the fact that nobody seems to have made serious moves for our other assets, I think selling Berra is necessary and overall a good move for Hearts under the circumstances.

I wish I could say the same for Berra but i fear it may not be a great move for him!

berrathanhibs

i think the move to wolves aint as bad as some make out. A lot of scottish players have moved to the epl an failed to make it so starting a div down wont be all that bad and as some one said before the championship is berra than the sphell. berra will be in the priemiership next season imo after learning the english game in one of the hardest leagues in the world. good luck christophe and wolverhampton

Always Wanderers

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If he is as successful as the last player to join us from yourselves(Cameron),we'll be over the moon.

That said,with all the positive comments on here,I fully expect to see Berra holding a Fulham shirt aloft on Sky Sports on Monday evening!

good luck and i live in hope you replace Hull s***y in the epl...

Guest JamboRobbo
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If he is as successful as the last player to join us from yourselves(Cameron),we'll be over the moon.

I was just thinking the same. You got a good one last time.

That said,with all the positive comments on here,I fully expect to see Berra holding a Fulham shirt aloft on Sky Sports on Monday evening!

:laugh:

Drylaw Hearts
If you need someone to bully centre forwards, Berra is your man. Big enough, strong enough and fast enough. Leadership wise he's sitll young and a little quiet IMO, but leads by example to an extent with his challenges and commitment.

A pretty good assessment JR.

Dissapointing obviously, but what is ultimately more important at the current time is that the long term future of HMFC is secured.

On a subject involving Berra, Martin T and Gambo are in agreement shocker.:eek:;)

Hi mate,

I think that Berra will be a good signing for you, he is a big centre half and commands his area well IMO. He is not the best footballing centre half, but he is intelligent enough to know when he can pass it and when he has to empty it.

As for reviews here! Well, we Hearts fans are fulsome in both our praise and damnation, some folk have never been convinced by him. We at Hearts have a recent history of good central defenders and high standards are set.

I don't think you will be disappointed with him (if he indeed signs) and hope you guys get into the Premiership. :)

Just a thought....

This news may now encourage a few of the supposedly interested EPL teams into making an actual bid.

With any luck. A poster on here told me there were plenty waiting in the background.;)

Dont think its the right move either but if hes sold for say 2point summin million well wolves must be rubbin there hands cause they` re going to triple there money maybe more so there better be a sell on clause to ,they`re like a pack of wolves stealing at that price.:o

Drylaw Hearts
With any luck. A poster on here told me there were plenty waiting in the background.;)

I hope that poster was right.

Met Korobotchup last night, he is one coco the clown, shrugging his shoulders etc when asked about Berra, the boy he was with looked like an old lithuanian jakey, can we not save ourselves more money and get him tae donald duck.

He did say Vlads in town .

Met Korobotchup last night, he is one coco the clown, shrugging his shoulders etc when asked about Berra, the boy he was with looked like an old lithuanian jakey, can we not save ourselves more money and get him tae donald duck.

Probably to pick up the cash.

Drylaw Hearts

He's VR's eyes and ears at Tynie mate.

I wonder if VR will be at the game ?

Archived