Berra's move to Wolves completed (merged threads)

Drylaw Hearts

i think the replacement for berra will be that defender from Conus. sorry kaunas Mantas Fridrikas he said he wanted talks with vlad after his holidays about coming to hearts. he played for Kaunus in the champions league and eufa cup. Watch this space

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlackhallJambo
Trouble is that any club would not offload a striker that was any good.

My point is that we would not have sold Berra for such a low fee unless we or more accurately Romanov was desperate for cash. Irrespective of how good a a player is, if a club needs cash flow to survive they will take what they can get in this financial climate. Just hope Romanov/Csaba have targets in sight and they better get their finger out if we want to get into Europe this year

pupstersajambo

I actually think ?2.3m is a fair price for a centre half. Before VR was on the scene we would never have even dreamt of getting such a fee for our players. If you go back to last season the general feeling on here was that Berra just wasn't good enough, that he needed someone with more experience to play alongside him, he was too quiet, too nice etc. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Berra's, his development, since Csaba arrived, has been nothing short of miraculous, but by the looks of things Csaba has a replacement in mind, someone with more experience, if he's allowed to get him

Jamboscanbevicius

Not quite sure why people are so surprised - they offered ?2m and we were apparently valuing him at ?3m so the accpeted bid was always going to be in between.

I would have preferred ?3m but I would not criticise Vlad too quickly before seeing how it pans out. He has not been too daft when selling in the past. If it is ?2.3m with a decent sell on clause which means that we could end up getting ?3-4m in the fullness of time then it is not bad in the current market.

I am a bit gutted to lose Berra but the club is more important and if this stabilises us then we will move on as we always do!

To be fair, I think we all realise we needed to sell someone. Of course the majority wished it would be Kingston and possibly Zaliukas. Had we managed to get rid of them I doubt we would have accepted 2.3million for Berra, I think we would have waited until Summer and been able to command 3 - 3.5 million.

It looks like the only club to make any move has been Wolves and we've had to sell, reluctantly.

Tis the way of the world just now.

We need the money and that is the only bid so there is not much we can do about it.

Wolves have a good deal. Good luck to Berra.

scots civil war

lets hope they got a coherent ****ing plan

csaba must be allowed to steer the ship in the current climate

although this is a massive blow to our chase for europe

gutted tbh,2.3mil is a total joke for him as well

all the best tho chrissy boy,wolves heading up to the prem

vlad on the tyne

I don't think 2.3mill is that bad a price for Berra in all fairness. Big improvment are there for all to see this season but he aint no Baresi. We will miss Berra initially (if he goes) but no player is irreplaceable.

Vlad overpriced Whebster and got next to nothing for him because of it so lets accept that in the current climate chairman are being more prudent.

I shudder to think what Falkirk will be looking for if Csaba makes a bid for Barr.

We will be berra off in the long run with the 2.3mill......see what I did there....berra.....off........seeeeesh:tongue:

bad move i think. should of stayed until the end of the season, see if they get promoted, or any other offers come in.

sives out

rapnik out

berra out

zal and kari in defence or does mcgowan get his chance?

I hope his career now goes down the toilet.

The sort of spiteful nonsense that poisons this board.

Good luck to CB he gave everything to Hearts.

and others think you're a wit, well they're half right.

Oh ma sides. Quality comedy, I read this about half an hour a go and I'm still laughing.

Pales though blairdin, when you consider that even Celtic are willing to offer Hibs ?2.5 million for Fletcher. To me Berra is a much better prospect, and as such we should be asking for sensible money, ?2.3 million for your club captain is not sensible money, it is giving the player away.

You would have a point if we were knocking back ?3m+ bids to accept the ?2.3M, but from what we are led to believe there are no other offers(i hope that changes).

vlad on the tyne

Just seen kanchelskis get into a taxi outside the sheraton, heading westbound.....possibly Hamilton per chance.

:eek:

jonsson will be centre hal today then alongside zal

i'm sure csaba said yesterday jonsson has been ill

so zal and karipidis, or mcgowan??

Drylaw Hearts
Just seen kanchelskis get into a taxi outside the sheraton, heading westbound.....possibly Hamilton per chance.

:eek:

The Sheraton ?????

He must have walked down from that B&B at Morningside.

Patrick Bateman

I wouldn't ever call ?2.3 million a "joke" considering that's more than the flairites got for any of their Golden (shower) generation aside from Scott Brown. Yes, Berra will be worth more if he does well in the Premiership, but we've lost far better players for less. Hopefully this means we'll be able to strengthen the rest of the team...

Oh ma sides. Quality comedy, I read this about half an hour a go and I'm still laughing.

glad you appreciated it:sarcasm:

It's a shame to see him go because I think it would have been better for him to wait until the summer. As long as Wolves get promoted, it is a good move for him because he can be established in their team before the Premiership comes along. I guess there's still a chance he might say no or someone else will come in for him.

I really hope it's nearer to ?3m in the end or at the very least we have a sell on clause.

The only good thing about this is that it now gives us time to bring in the replacement that Csaba was talking about and hopefully a striker.

To be fair, I think we all realise we needed to sell someone. Of course the majority wished it would be Kingston and possibly Zaliukas. Had we managed to get rid of them I doubt we would have accepted 2.3million for Berra, I think we would have waited until Summer and been able to command 3 - 3.5 million.

It looks like the only club to make any move has been Wolves and we've had to sell, reluctantly.

Tis the way of the world just now.

Surely teams who would be willing to pay that in the summer would rather pay ?2.5m or ?2.7m to steal him from Wolves now, instead of letting an 'outstanding' player slip from there grasp???

vlad on the tyne

if we do get the 1.5-2m for Jose that will make up for the hit on Berra.

We also got a decent price for Bednar IMO.

Onwards and upwards.

Disappointed all round as I don't think Wolves is a good move for Berra and I don't think ?2.3m is good value for us. Still, we need the money and Wolves are the only show in town.

I wish him all the best.

You would have a point if we were knocking back ?3m+ bids to accept the ?2.3M, but from what we are led to believe there are no other offers(i hope that changes).

I'm going to agree with you twice this morning Gambo!:eek:

A player is only worth what another club is willing to pay. To date there have been no ?3million offers for Berra, so ?2.3 million is his market value.

An additional factor in this of course is that Hearts through failure to pay wages on time twice, widely publicised to the football world that we were in financial bother, so clubs opening offers were always going to take this into consideration.

Basic economics, in a market where you have one party desperate to sell, the buyer becomes the price setter.

Surely teams who would be willing to pay that in the summer would rather pay ?2.5m or ?2.7m to steal him from Wolves now, instead of letting an 'outstanding' player slip from there grasp???

Maybe those teams don't have the money just now. Maybe they will have in the summer.

Who knows?

This has certainly been the quietest transfer window I can ever remember and there is no doubt in my mind that there would have been more than one club interested in the Summer if he were still a Hearts player.

Incidentally, I don't know if you were quoting me on the 'Outstanding' player part of your post. I don't think he is 'Outstanding' and if I have ever said so, I've more than likely been hammered.

:D

Good luck to him and disagree with what people are saying i think that Wolves is a good move.

He will make his mark there and will move onto bigger and better things imo.

Best of luck Christophe Berra.

Nothing against Wolves, but if I were a player and the options were to play in the Coca Cola Championship or play at the top end of the SPL, with a chance to show your talent in Europe I would go for the latter, irrespective of the money available via the former.

Nonsense.

hartyfaeclery
No need to hope mate. Why players don't take anyones advice or listen to there manager is beyond me. He should have listened to Shabba about going to Italy as it would make him.

Christophe prepare for the biggest regret of your life.

italy don,t make me laugh no even an option

Good luck to him and disagree with what people are saying i think that Wolves is a good move.

He will make his mark there and will move onto bigger and better things imo.

Best of luck Christophe Berra.

Wolves is a big club and if he makes it into the Premiership he will have a great time.

italy don,t make me laugh no even an option

Where do you think he would be best suited? I take my opinon from a talented manager.

Drylaw Hearts

Being realistic.......

If Berra went to Italy it would be for no more than a 2 week Summer Holiday.

A player is only worth what another club is willing to pay. To date there have been no ?3million offers for Berra, so ?2.3 million is his market value.

An additional factor in this of course is that Hearts through failure to pay wages on time twice, widely publicised to the football world that we were in financial bother, so clubs opening offers were always going to take this into consideration.

Basic economics, in a market where you have one party desperate to sell, the buyer becomes the price setter.

I thin 2.3 million is more than enough personally.

Bollocks..........I'm going back to bed.

Best of luck Christophe, I just hope thats the end of the sell off and we get a decent replacement along with a striker.

It defo is a steal if you consider the likes of alan hutton going for 9 million or whatever it was.

He's only been given permission to talk to wolves anyway... someone else may come in with a better bid. Fingers crossed.

But either way, if someone comes in with a better bid, and he still chooses Wolves it wont matter.

Man City could come in with ?100m, but if he fancies Wolves more we'll still get ?2.3m.

I've not read the 3rd page yet, however on the Hearts statement it says Berra has been given permission to discuss the move with Wolves. It does NOT state that a bid has been accepted similar to Given speaking to Man City before the fee is agreed. This way if Berra is happy then as soon as the fee is agreed then the deal can be completed

Well spotted. Thats a very carefully worded statement which makes me think there is a long way to go yet. I'm sure figures have been discussed but obviously not agreed. I wouldn't like to be Jex Mosely at this point having still to del with VR with so little time remaining.

It is up to the selling club to determine the value and if no one meets it then they don't get sold. It is our desperation that is lowering his value not what clubs are willing to pay. Unfortunately the **** proved that fact when they knocked back a ?2.5-?3m deal for Fletcher. They value him at ?4m :eek:

Always Wanderers
Well spotted. Thats a very carefully worded statement which makes me think there is a long way to go yet. I'm sure figures have been discussed but obviously not agreed. I wouldn't like to be Jex Mosely at this point having still to del with VR with so little time remaining.

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~1540043,00.html

Mate,the deal's been agreed between Hearts and Wolves.

It's now all down to Berra.

alwaysthereinspirit
I would have rather seen Zal or Larry go, but hey, we need the readies.

I wish Christophe all the best.

Now that Kingston has seen Berra hijack his dream move to a "bigger" team and league. Maybe he'll get the finger out and try to get his move in the Summer. We can only hope.

Good luck to Berra. Did nothing wrong as far as I'm concerned. Always gave 100% and said the right things.

Rupert Pupkin

It escapes me as to why he would sign with WOLVES,they may be as some say a sleeping giant ,but have been sleeping longer than sleeping beauty.I hope his career dosen't stagnate down there, with him turning into one off those players who flounders round the championship before coming up and signing for a KILMARNOCK etc.Personally i would o held off till summer as he can still only improve and see which big clubs came in for him,thus said i bear the guy no hard feelings and wish him all the best for his career,if he is indeed leaving at this time.

all the very best then christophe. ?2.3M seems on the cheap side to me and as a result, it's highly doubtful that anything will be released for new signings.

he's an EPL player in the making but maybe it's just as well for him to complete his 'apprenticeship' in the championship for a couple of seasons, whether he eventually gets to the EPL with wolves or someone else.

I actually think ?2.3m is a fair price for a centre half. Before VR was on the scene we would never have even dreamt of getting such a fee for our players. If you go back to last season the general feeling on here was that Berra just wasn't good enough, that he needed someone with more experience to play alongside him, he was too quiet, too nice etc. Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of Berra's, his development, since Csaba arrived, has been nothing short of miraculous, but by the looks of things Csaba has a replacement in mind, someone with more experience, if he's allowed to get him

Agree re the price on the proviso that there's a sell on clause that we could potentially benefit from later. There's not exactly a long list of Hearts players who have been sold for more than ?2.3m. Quite interesting that the Hearts website doesn't mention a fee being agreed tho.

Also reckon that Wolves is actually a pretty good move for him as he's likely to get a game most weeks and will have the chance to bed into English football and his new team before hopefully playing in the EPL next season.

Good luck Christophe whether you go or stay.

The sort of spiteful nonsense that poisons this board.

Good luck to CB he gave everything to Hearts.

Agreed. No need to berate a player for moving on. He has done well for Hearts and if this is the right move for him both financially and from his own career objectives, then fair enough.

Think the EPL would have been a step to far initially, however given a bit of time in the Championship I think he will ease into that level quite comfortably.

Hopefully this move will give Berra the chance to shine in the Dark blue of Scotland, and perhaps long term Hearts will see a bit more money in sell on fees .

Geoff Kilpatrick
all the very best then christophe. ?2.3M seems on the cheap side to me and as a result, it's highly doubtful that anything will be released for new signings.

he's an EPL player in the making but maybe it's just as well for him to complete his 'apprenticeship' in the championship for a couple of seasons, whether he eventually gets to the EPL with wolves or someone else.

I agree it is on the low side but I would hope some of the funds would still be released for Csaba to bring in a new face.

I would also say that Wolves haven't skelped us the way they did over Colin Cameron. I was almost in tears that Friday afternoon.

Archived