SPL Referee's accused of hounding Hearts Lithuanian Players

Charlie-Brown

With all due respect.........

, your opinion is just that - an opinion.

And so was the spokesman of the LFA, it is now up to the SFA to argue/prove otherwise if they want.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drylaw Hearts
The last 2 were errors as you say and the first was justified, but funny how the referee missed Wilkies involvement in the first and Millers involvement in the third (maybe they were given the benefit of doubt by the ref, although we know that not to be the case as the Lithuanians are treated fairly).

The benefit of doubt given by the ref resulted in Zal walking twice and the opposition getting away with it. Name me another who has been sent off 3 times as harshly with no action against the opposition.

I don't know why each player for every Club has walked but I do recall Daren Barr being sent off for nothing and a Lithuanian not being punished.

How does that fit into the whole 'SFA conspires against Lithuanians' theory ?

portobellojambo1
Re your comments on Varanvicius, that is what i meant, he was Lithuanian and had a view slightly different from you.

l have sat at a hospitality do with a SPL linesman who said our Lithuanians do not stand a chance in our game (he was it has to be said very pashed at the time and told me stories about Willie Collum...not Hearts related).

Re the highlighted part, we will have to agree to disagree as i think they are harshly treated here.

Indeed Gambo, Although what I will say is it is possible that I do not see things as racial bias because I do not look for it. It is not something which goes through my head as I am watching a game. I can see incompetence and bias in many matches, even though I know I have not specifically gone along to look for that either (but it is so fecking obvious on some occasions that you cannot help but notice it). But when a Hearts player is sent off the one thing I never think about is his nationality, I tend to think more about how can we cover for the player we have lost, how will it impact on us performance wise etc. etc. (more football related thoughts).

We may disagree on this aspect, but in all honesty it has been a good thread to participate in, because opinion, points of view etc have been expressed, without the thread degenerating into a slanging match at any point (which probably suggests we are all reasonably like minded on this subject, with a few slight differences).

Drylaw Hearts
And so was the spokesman of the LFA, it is now up to the SFA to argue/prove otherwise if they want.

I wonder how many matches he's seen involving all the Clubs to obtain that opinion ?

Brellier was booked 14 times and sent off once during his first Season and Mr Platini didn't make any statements.

Then again Platini doesn't work for Vladimir Romanov.

Indeed Gambo, Although what I will say is it is possible that I do not see things as racial bias because I do not look for it. It is not something which goes through my head as I am watching a game. I can see incompetence and bias in many matches, even though I know I have not specifically gone along to look for that either (but it is so fecking obvious on some occasions that you cannot help but notice it). But when a Hearts player is sent off the one thing I never think about is his nationality, I tend to think more about how can we cover for the player we have lost, how will it impact on us performance wise etc. etc. (more football related thoughts).

We may disagree on this aspect, but in all honesty it has been a good thread to participate in, because opinion, points of view etc have been expressed, without the thread degenerating into a slanging match at any point (which probably suggests we are all reasonably like minded on this subject, with a few slight differences).

yes indeed but it's still early. the post-pub crowd have still to arrive. :)

I don't know why each player for every Club has walked but I do recall Daren Barr being sent off for nothing and a Lithuanian not being punished.

How does that fit into the whole 'SFA conspires against Lithuanians' theory ?

Ehh maybe because the Falkirk player was aggressive in his manner(Velicka was wrong, but the Falkirk player was not innocent in his thoughts),and if i recall correctly the referee did not indicate he was being sent off for a head butt.

Now remind me how the press reacted to Velicka as oppossed to how they reacted to Miller.

As i have pointed out Lithuanians will get away with certain things, and they will correctly be punished for certain things(human nature). What you seem to fail to understand imo is that the Lithuanians at Hearts seem in a lot of peoples opinions to be targetted more than others for the same offences(don't have to be booked/sent off) as oppossed to others.

I wonder how many matches he's seen involving all the Clubs to obtain that opinion ?

Brellier was booked 14 times and sent off once during his first Season and Mr Platini didn't make any statements.

Then again Platini doesn't work for Vladimir Romanov.

I think we are now maybe getting somewhere with your viewpoint (very very few have brought Romanov into the arguement, no matter which view they hold).:xmaseye:

Brilliant, referees book other nationalities = they are very fair and equal to Lithuanians if not more leniant.

Sheriff Fatman
Ten clubs putting together a concerted case for change would have far, far more chance of success than just one, Colin.

Unfortunately that will never happen. Take the Dundee United case last season. It was patently obvious that they were cheated by the ref, what was the rest of the leagues responce, a couple of half hearted comments from clubs, and plenty of fans saying 'why should we give a stuff, they never supported us when we had the same problem. The leagues responce was a meeting of hand picked managers (plus Craig Levien as a sop to those that actually have eyes) and a unilateral announcement that managers will now no longer critisise refs without even the slightest attempt to fix the ineptitude

and general 'we can do what we what and yah boo sucks to you' attitude of people who in the real world would have been sacked years ago.

Drylaw Hearts
I think we are now maybe getting somewhere with your viewpoint (very very few have brought Romanov into the arguement, no matter which view they hold).:xmaseye:

My reasoning for mentioning VR is because the chap who has given this opinion (without watching ALL the SPL's matches to obtain a fair view) happens to have the same boss as Zaliukas.

My reasoning for mentioning VR is because the chap who has given this opinion (without watching ALL the SPL's matches to obtain a fair view) happens to have the same boss as Zaliukas.

So you will bring VR into it if Berra/Jonsson/Driver/Bruno etc are harshly treated by officials, or only when Lithuanians are involved?

Off to bed now as i have an early champagne breakfast organised tomorrow before i take my seat in the directors box for the game. ;-)

FTH

shaun.lawson
Unfortunately that will never happen. Take the Dundee United case last season. It was patently obvious that they were cheated by the ref, what was the rest of the leagues responce, a couple of half hearted comments from clubs, and plenty of fans saying 'why should we give a stuff, they never supported us when we had the same problem. The leagues responce was a meeting of hand picked managers (plus Craig Levien as a sop to those that actually have eyes) and a unilateral announcement that managers will now no longer critisise refs without even the slightest attempt to fix the ineptitude

and general 'we can do what we what and yah boo sucks to you' attitude of people who in the real world would have been sacked years ago.

Our fans were certainly among that category, sad to say. It has to stop: it's petty, parochial and misses the big picture - one which affects us all on an almost weekly basis - completely. I agree entirely with your views on the 'think tank' (arf), by the way: indeed, that's exactly why I think Levein got the invite!

Drylaw Hearts
So you will bring VR into it if Berra/Jonsson/Driver/Bruno etc are harshly treated by officials, or only when Lithuanians are involved?

If someone from the Edinburgh Branch of UKIOS decides to have his say then yes.

Sheriff Fatman
Our fans were certainly among that category, sad to say. It has to stop: it's petty, parochial and misses the big picture - one which affects us all on an almost weekly basis - completely. I agree entirely with your views on the 'think tank' (arf), by the way: indeed, that's exactly why I think Levein got the invite!

What is worse, some of those same Hearts fans are now the ones implying that there is nothing wrong with the system and Zali deserves all he gets.

shaun.lawson
What is worse, some of those same Hearts fans are now the ones implying that there is nothing wrong with the system and Zali deserves all he gets.

Again I agree.

Sheriff Fatman
If someone from the Edinburgh Branch of UKIOS decides to have his say then yes.

Maybe if you actually had a single belief in your mind that didn't relate to you pathetic hate of Romanov and everything even slightly connected to him people might give a hoot about your inept attempts to pretend that the head of a nations FA shouldn't be allowed to comment on matters involving players that come under his organisations remit.

Drylaw Hearts
Maybe if you actually had a single belief in your mind that didn't relate to you pathetic hate of Romanov and everything even slightly connected to him people might give a hoot about your inept attempts to pretend that the head of a nations FA shouldn't be allowed to comment on matters involving players that come under his organisations remit.

I don't appreciate LV making comments on matches he's never seen.

He will have seen a video of Zal's red card and now our Countries FA is racist etc.

I think the mans a trumpet who has done himself no favours by making such a rash comment.

My cynical side tells me VR asked him to make those comments.

Sheriff Fatman
I don't appreciate LV making comments on matches he's never seen.

He will have seen a video of Zal's red card and now our Countries FA is racist etc.

I think the mans a trumpet who has done himself no favours by making such a rash comment.

My cynical side tells me VR asked him to make those comments.

I think half the comments you make show you are a trumpet, but I don't feel the need to tell people that at leat 50 times in one day.

LV is perfectly entitled to comment on things involving his countries football players, and I seriously doubt what he said just comes from what happened to Zali. I bet he has been hearing about the situation from the players for months and the weekend's incident was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Since the SFA and their puppet managers from the joke of a meeting decided to brown nose incompetant refs, what other recourse have players got but to go to their own countries FA. We know that our FA and players union are to happy to wallow in the mire of incompetance and arrogance.

Drylaw Hearts
I think half the comments you make show you are a trumpet, but I don't feel the need to tell people that at leat 50 times in one day.

LV is perfectly entitled to comment on things involving his countries football players, and I seriously doubt what he said just comes from what happened to Zali. I bet he has been hearing about the situation from the players for months and the weekend's incident was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Since the SFA and their puppet managers from the joke of a meeting decided to brown nose incompetant refs, what other recourse have players got but to go to their own countries FA. We know that our FA and players union are to happy to wallow in the mire of incompetance and arrogance.

Pointless bet as we'll never know the truth.

Sheriff Fatman
Pointless bet as we'll never know the truth.

If you know anything about the gambling industry you will know the vast majority of bets are pointless, that doesn't stop people having them. But then as I was using the term in the extremely common sense of 'it is patently obvious that', you yet again post an inept comment.

Drylaw Hearts
If you know anything about the gambling industry you will know the vast majority of bets are pointless, that doesn't stop people having them. But then as I was using the term in the extremely common sense of 'it is patently obvious that', you yet again post an inept comment.

I don't know anything about the gambling industry.

Thankfully.

Konrad von Carstein

Having trawled through this thread I have to say thay if DH can HONESTLY HAND ON HEART say that while watching Hearts games over the last 2-3 years he has NEVER thought that various decisions (not bookings or sending offs just run of the mill 50-50's) given against us have not been given because of the nationality (Lithuanian) of the player then he is either a Liar on this board or just seeking a reaction from fellow Hearts fans.

Drylaw Hearts
Having trawled through this thread I have to say thay if DH can HONESTLY HAND ON HEART say that while watching Hearts games over the last 2-3 years he has NEVER thought that various decisions (not bookings or sending offs just run of the mill 50-50's) given against us have not been given because of the nationality (Lithuanian) of the player then he is either a Liar on this board or just seeking a reaction from fellow Hearts fans.

I'm neither.

I have seen lots of 50/50's not given to various Hearts players of various Nationalities.

Only Miko has really suffered more than any other Hearts player.

Konrad von Carstein

Hmm! I think we both know that that is horsepoop!

Miko is the most high profile...but there have been many(many) more instances of Liths not getting the benefit of the doubt from officials and media, its almost like a self fulfilling prophecy.

From Varanavicius's point of view, I can understand why he made the comments and to a certain extent, I'm glad that he has spoken out if only to draw further attention to the fact that the appeal should never have been rejected. But it would have been more effective in that respect if he didn't have such obvious links to both VR and Hearts. As head of the LFA, he's still the right person to make those comments though...so I guess the connections are just unfortunate.

I'm undecided on the whole question of whether or not the treatment is racist though. The situation with Miko would have been much the same had he been anything other than Scottish, and Zaliukas may just be the victim of a thoroughly awful referee and his pig-headedness. For the moment, I'm more tempted to believe that the problem is with Hearts and its players rather than Lithuanians in particular though.

I think our national press have demonstrated a racist attitude on several occasions but it might be more difficult to link the refereeing decisions with a racist agenda. Especially when most of the evidence points more towards them being fairly intolerant of any player in maroon, regardless of nationality, or worse...just being completely inept.

Yes, sadly, I think Craig's 'silence' has been bought !

I don't know if it was offered a carrot or just shown a BIGGER STICK, but he surely had a chance to unite the clans :xmasgrin: against Refs AND the OF bias in one swoop .................there goes the gang of ten dream :xmaseye:

Drylaw Hearts
Hmm! I think we both know that that is horsepoop!

Miko is the most high profile...but there have been many(many) more instances of Liths not getting the benefit of the doubt from officials and media, its almost like a self fulfilling prophecy.

There have also been many, many instances of players of other Natiotionalities not getting the 'benefit of the doubt'.

Berra was very harshly booked on Saturday imo.

Charlie-Brown

Everytime Zaliukas has been sent off in the SPL there has been an element of injustice and refereeing errors involved in those decisions so it's easy to see why he feels aggrieved and persecuted.

Firstly at Tannadice he got sent off and a penalty awarded against Hearts whilst the referee & linesman completely ignored the initial fouling and aggression by Lee Wilkie who should also have walked for his part in the incident and a free kick awarded to Hearts instead.

Secondly against Celtic the linesman and referee missed a definite offside and then again a penalty was awarded even though the foul occured outside the box whilst Zaliukas was sent off for a last defender challenge even though play should have been halted prior to that.

Thirdly last weekend Zaliukas red carded because of Lee Millers aggression and to compound the sense of injustice the referee blocked any appeal.......his booking for waving an imaginary card was also inconsistent with the way Zander Diamond and other Aberdeen players have been treated in recent matches for exactly the same offence made worse by fat Tangoman Calderwood's comments about how he'd fine any of his players guilty of that whilst failing to mention his own players indescretions for doing exactly the same thing against Hearts.

Konrad von Carstein
There have also been many, many instances of players of other Natiotionalities not getting the 'benefit of the doubt'.

Berra was very harshly booked on Saturday imo.

OMG! (as my 14 yo would type!) You really take this "Devil's Advocate" role seriously don't you.

We get shafted at every opportunity...particularly if a Lithuanian is within 30ft of the incident. You can obsfucate (sp) all you want but we both know this to be the case.

Please ..please ..please - can somebody dig up some footage of The Dons players doing that ?

I watched the 2-0 highlights tonight ( pospisil hitch kick goal ) to try and find something .........but no dives / cheating of any note !

Drylaw Hearts
OMG! (as my 14 yo would type!) You really take this "Devil's Advocate" role seriously don't you.

We get shafted at every opportunity...particularly if a Lithuanian is within 30ft of the incident. You can obsfucate (sp) all you want but we both know this to be the case.

Really ?

Konrad von Carstein
Really ?

Eh, Aye! :xmaswoot:

You have your view, I (and many others) have a different one, we are never going to be reconciled therefore ~I now bow out rather than risk falling out with a fellow Hearts fan (even if its just a cyber fallout!)

FTH the morn!:xmasgrin:

Archived