Real Fans v Part time fans etc

Independence

I didn't have a ST last season but i've got one this season so that makes me the bestest, so there! :P

We'll be publishing the "Most loyal bestest Jambo" league tables at the end of next week. I have you at a provisional 1,623, up from last year's position at 9,482. You could be in line for the prize of "Most betterest Jambo 2008". Give yourself a pat on the head and an extra digestive biscuit my son!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MacDonald Jardine
We'll be publishing the "Most loyal bestest Jambo" league tables at the end of next week. I have you at a provisional 1,623, up from last year's position at 9,482. You could be in line for the prize of "Most betterest Jambo 2008". Give yourself a pat on the head and an extra digestive biscuit my son!

So just to be clear.

If I can't be bothered leaving the house and walking 100 yards to go to the game, but I vaguely want them to win and might go to the odd Cup Final I'm just as much a fan as someone who travels all over Scotland and Europe and never misses a game?

Utter bollocks.

Rudolf's Mate

I'm the bestest of all.... I went to the last game of the season at Murderwell in the 80's in bermuda shorts. I then got chased of a large group of anti bermuda short thugs through Murderwell and needed to get 4 different buses just to get back to Edinburgh around 10pm! That makes me the bestest for at least 30 years.... End of!

So just to be clear.

If I can't be bothered leaving the house and walking 100 yards to go to the game, but I vaguely want them to win and might go to the odd Cup Final I'm just as much a fan as someone who travels all over Scotland and Europe and never misses a game?

Utter bollocks.

If you travelled all over Scotland and Europe and never missed a game then you'd certainly be offering more support, financial, moral (for the players at the matches) and otherwise, to your team and that can't be anything but an excellent thing MJ. But it certainly doesn't mean, like some on here, that you can lay into other fans who don't do so. We all support Hearts in different ways. And that's what this thread is all about.

ST holder for 14 years until this year. The way the club is run is insulting to fans. VR's erratic decisions, interference, etc - basically reached breaking point. Why watch a team which isn't picked on merit? VRs interests are different from the fans....I could go on..

Yes but were you a Hearts ST holder?

if we mounted a late title challenge then i can assure you all the fans who are "voting with their feet against romanov" will be back in their seats. There are a number of fair-weather jambos

the only half decent atmosphere was the first game against motherwell even the celtic game was poor

bring on the weegie gyromonkeys next week though!

what was yogi doin after they scored?

There were over 13000 fans today. Glory Hunters were absent once again!!!!!!

To one and everyone, on an extremeley, cold day, well done.

A special thanks to fans who travelled far, well done, Manchester Hearts , Dumfries Hearts and my own lot from North Berwick!!!!!!!

How sad it is that some fans will not support the team at Tynecasltle because of, well WHY??????????

LOYALTY, Great day and thanks Hearts once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've come in for a bit of stick NBJT. Some people think that you have labelled everyone who didn't attend as a gloryhunter (you didn't) but there is at least another category of supporter ie those who would have liked to be there but for some reason could not manage. Other commitments, affordability, health etc etc all could play a part in people's choices but you are quite right there is an element who only follow during the good times.

MacDonald Jardine
If you travelled all over Scotland and Europe and never missed a game then you'd certainly be offering more support, financial, moral (for the players at the matches) and otherwise, to your team and that can't be anything but an excellent thing MJ. But it certainly doesn't mean, like some on here, that you can lay into other fans who don't do so. We all support Hearts in different ways. And that's what this thread is all about.

Possibly not lay in. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but as far as I'm concerned it carries more weight if you actually go to watch games that HMFC play, which is what the whole things about.

You get posts on here with opinions about games while games are still going on. How valid can that opinion be.

I accept people support Hearts in different ways but some don't support at all.

Posting on an internet forum does not equate to support as far as I'm concerned.

There were over 13000 fans today. Glory Hunters were absent once again!!!!!!

To one and everyone, on an extremeley, cold day, well done.

A special thanks to fans who travelled far, well done, Manchester Hearts , Dumfries Hearts and my own lot from North Berwick!!!!!!!

How sad it is that some fans will not support the team at Tynecasltle because of, well WHY??????????

LOYALTY, Great day and thanks Hearts once again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does your space bar double up as the comma key?

Great thread.

:thumb:

Just what I was thinking. :)

As for the content, can I just check I have this correct? OP says that he is a great fan, up there with all 13000 there yesterday and far better than everybody that did not go. Another poster is a better fan than him as he and his nine mates (I thought the collective number was twenty?) didn't go. Have I got that correct?

If so, I would say that neither poster is correct and the truth is somewhere inbetween. Alcohol is a bad thing kids (even 45 year old ones ;)) step away from the fridge.

Booo! Definitely think i deserve to crack the top 1000 this year you shall be receiving my written appeal in the post!

Possibly not lay in. Everyone's entitled to an opinion but as far as I'm concerned it carries more weight if you actually go to watch games that HMFC play, which is what the whole things about.

You get posts on here with opinions about games while games are still going on. How valid can that opinion be.

I accept people support Hearts in different ways but some don't support at all.

Posting on an internet forum does not equate to support as far as I'm concerned.

Ok, I give you an example. You have a young bloke living in an African country. He's never been out of his region in Africa, let alone been to Europe or Scotland. However when he was young he heard about Hearts, thought that the name sounded great, and decided to support us. He's a poor guy, can't even afford a Hearts shirt. He knows he'll never make it to Tynie. But he follows, in the press and on the radio, as much as he can to do with Hearts, raves about the club to all his friends and to everyone he meets. He keeps up with the players names, the news etc. His friends jokingly call him "Mr Hearts".

Now this chap will probably never ever contribute moral support or finance to the club. Yet is he a supporter? I would say so.

In my opinion, anyone anywhere who ever contributes to the continuation and success of our great club, even if only in their thoughts and words or even in their words posted on an internet forum, has the right to call themselves a supporter. We need them all. We are so much richer in having such a diverse group of supporters. We are all part of the same family. The Hearts family. We should thank anyone who contributes to our club, even in the smallest way, rather than denigrate them for what they have not contributed in comparison to others.

Booo! Definitely think i deserve to crack the top 1000 this year you shall be receiving my written appeal in the post!

Bribes will of course be heartily accepted. :)

It's a conspiracy, i am not amused ;)

Don't worry, I'm very cheap. A couple of pints should do the trick and hoist you into the top 1000. :)

Now this chap will probably never ever contribute moral support or finance to the club. Yet is he a supporter? I would say so.

No, he is a fan.

A supporter contributes, supports, so we can sign players and stuff like that.

I got out my sick bed, went to game, enjoyed game, home and in bed by 7pm

Does that make me a loyal fan. :)

Wasnt really sick, hangover from hell :rolleyes:

Nelly Terraces

Well worth going the 0.3 miles (OK, via the boozer) to Tynie from Nellster Mansions yesterday. I am a f ***** g HERO.

Well worth getting mangled in the Samps then Diggers afters:). Feel gash the day though. Musta had a bad pint....:rolleyes:

MacDonald Jardine
Ok, I give you an example. You have a young bloke living in an African country. He's never been out of his region in Africa, let alone been to Europe or Scotland. However when he was young he heard about Hearts, thought that the name sounded great, and decided to support us. He's a poor guy, can't even afford a Hearts shirt. He knows he'll never make it to Tynie. But he follows, in the press and on the radio, as much as he can to do with Hearts, raves about the club to all his friends and to everyone he meets. He keeps up with the players names, the news etc. His friends jokingly call him "Mr Hearts".

In my opinion, anyone anywhere who ever contributes to the continuation and success of our great club, even if only in their thoughts and words or even in their words posted on an internet forum, has the right to call themselves a supporter. We need them all. We are so much richer in having such a diverse group of supporters. We are all part of the same family. The Hearts family. We should thank anyone who contributes to our club, even in the smallest way, rather than denigrate them for what they have not contributed in comparison to others.

Yes I would say he is.

But he wouldn't be as good a supporter if he was born and lived in Edinburgh, had a decent income and enough time to attend games if he wanted but chose not to bother going.

i suspect there are more in that category than your example.

I understand what your saying about making a stance and proving a point, however what stanced have you really taken? the old saying of cutting your nose off to spite your face springs to mind. Attendances are roughly what they were pre 05/06 as is season ticket sales, so really (and i know its not the case with all) the amount of fans that have turned their back is about equivelant to those who jumped on the bandwagon.

Attendances are actually still significantly up on pre 05/06.

bigis semiauskas

Yes they annoy me as well only turning up when the goings good,

but if they listened to whats being said would we be happy with a hardcore 13thou turning up no matter how well were playing

or 13thou when challenging for the league

or 13thou going to Hampden for a Cup Final

Every club has them,we need them,lets encourage them back and try to make them stay.

Spot on.

Unfortunately it seems the only way to get a lot of them to stick around is to invest large sums of money in players, something which is not appropriate for our club. Hopefully the consistency of selection and Csaba factor will see a few of the recent absentees return but for those that only started attending in Burley's first season it seems unlikely we will ever be able to get them in Tynecastle on a regular basis.

You know, it's funny. The kind of folk who slag off "gloryhunters" and say they'd prefer lower crowds with loyal, fully committed supporters are the same people who slagged Robinson off for 'lack of ambition'. If we're ever to succeed to the extent we all hope, we need more supporters; many more in fact. And they won't all hail from Gorgie either.

We need their money but they have turned their backs on us and so we will struggle to keep our best players. I can understand why some of us get frustrated with them and their atitude.

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo
You know, it's funny. The kind of folk who slag off "gloryhunters" and say they'd prefer lower crowds with loyal, fully committed supporters are the same people who slagged Robinson off for 'lack of ambition'. If we're ever to succeed to the extent we all hope, we need more supporters; many more in fact. And they won't all hail from Gorgie either.

Also, what these uberfans won't accept is that the reason there are so many "stay aways" is that a lot of people feel they and our club have been shafted by the Romanov machine and they have replied in the only manner that they can, withholding their hard earned cash. But they are still fans and Romanov should be trying a concerted effort to win these people back.

Maybe Laszlo is getting the team going in the right direction ie top 3 in the league. I know at least one guy who refused to renew after many years who is considering going back. He is not a glory hunter. He was someone who just had enough of the circus at HMFC.

The argument is a childish one anyway and it is the usual suspects who spout it. Some people just needed to take a step back from the chaos at Tynie for a while. These obsessed-nothing-in-their-lives-but-HMFC are the types who would never be happy unless everyone else shared their own outlook.

Some of them need to:

Get a life

Get a bird.

Get real

I watched Hearts in the First Division.

Just thought i'd throw that into the mix.

And like all other 70s fans, loved us even more as a result. It's perfectly natural: we all love someone/thing more when they go down...

winston churchill

i've been over to germany for the pre season two years running.

i also had to get two buses to the game yesterday.

that makes me the most loyal fan ever.

Good example and one i agree with, but the ones that annoy me are the ones who are local , stand in the boozer all day watching the scores come in, if Hearts get beat they tell you how good/bad/ugly Hearts are when YOU get back from the game.

Then, they ask for a cup final ticket come May.

I`ve had many a falling out with these kind. They could easily spare 15 quid and a couple of hours of their time now and again supporting their team instead of puting it behind the bar every Saturday.

Drylaw Hearts
Unfortunately it seems the only way to get a lot of them to stick around is to invest large sums of money in players, something which is not appropriate for our club.

This is exactly what Rangers and Celtic had to do to increase attendences.

They invested in the team making their football a bit more enjoyable to watch.

Most of time !!

Big investment was hinted at by VR but this stopped after Season 1.

Hopefully the consistency of selection and Csaba factor will see a few of the recent absentees return but for those that only started attending in Burley's first season it seems unlikely we will ever be able to get them in Tynecastle on a regular basis.

It was evindent in that Season if there is something worth watching these folk will go more often.

Sadly it's been a major disappointment since then.

And like all other 70s fans, loved us even more as a result. It's perfectly natural: we all love someone/thing more when they go down...

I can confirm that Legend is a "70's fan". I was alive but never went to a game in the 70's, I am inferior. :(

I think it's a shame that the team are busting a gut now and there are 4,000 empty seats.

However, people have their reasons for not attending and I respect that.

What we need to do is try and work out a way of getting the fans back that packed out Tynecastle during 05/06.

We are all Hearts fans, and I had the absolute pleasure of meeting the Canada-based lads a couple of years ago. They weren't there yesterday, but they love the club as much as I do.

Our biggest strength is our unity.

Buffalo Bill

I can confirm that Legend is a "70's fan". I was alive but never went to a game in the 70's, I am inferior. :(

You are but a young pup BH.

It's a pity that you look like you're forty though. :P

I went from Tranent, Portobello then to the game. And, there were road works! I'm such an amazing Hearts fan they should give me my own stand.

On a serious note, I hope the part timers stay away. I can move from G to F and get a nice comfy padded seat.

I am a shareholder so I am a better fan than you all.

FACT.

I'm the proud owner of 200 shares and my name is on the 500 club board. I no longer own a ST (owned one for all but one season from 1982/83 to 2006/07) but you're watching the club I own from MY stand:p

There are many reasons I no longer attend Hearts games. Here are 10 in no particular order.

1. TV companies changing ko time/dates at short notice. I can't make Saturday 12.30 ko's or some Sundays meaning I'd miss a few games every season and they are most likely the bigger ones.

2. TV overkill - I'm kind of de-sensitised if you like after watching TV every day for the past 10 years.

3. Quality of football - imo has dropped drastically over the past few years.

4. Cost - ?27 for a "cheap" seat to watch Hearts v Hibs, when it's less than ?11 to watch a Bundesliga match involving Bayern Munich(there was a thread on this a few weeks back). Combined with point 3 I can't see value for money anywhere in Scottish league football.

5. Here we go...Vladimir Romanov. The ultimate reason for our failure to put our best XI on the park since the departure of George Burley. I mean, Jose Goncalves would not be far from my nightmare Hearts XI yet he played to stay in the shop window. Say no more.

6. Fellow fans. I used to sit in the front of section B amongst morons. After playing football for 20 odd years and qualifying as a ref a couple of years back it never ceases to amaze me how little the average fan knws about the game. Being stuck in an all seated stadium now you can't move away from these people!

7. Folk on JKB wi a superiority complex, take note NBJT. Me and my cousin used to argue who was the best fan out the two of us when we were 13 FFS before realising what a futile argument that really was!

8. It's freezing! I've always wanted summer football. I know the traditionalists will argue but where are they reagarding the change of ko times/days? If it has to be winter then it has to be 3pm every Saturday, Does anyone enjoy watching/playing football on a MONDAY night in awful conditions eg wind/driving rain etc?

9. Money. A lot of players (and we suffer more than most) are simply wage-thieves now and don't give a schiedt about clubs/fans or even the game as a whole.

10. Parking. I work on Saturday nights so I really have to drive to games. I used to go on the Pans bus but couldn't get to work quick enough using this. Edinburgh is now a nightmare to get into and find a space when Hearts are at home. I now watch Preston Athletic (who, for some reason merited a mention earlier in this thread) as its 10 minutes walk fi my house.

There you go NB, you asked WHY I don't go any more and its nothing to do with glory seeking or all about my anti-Vlad politics. I'll continue to support Hearts financially but I'm not sure if i'll ever return on matchdays on a regular basis cos I don't see price coming down or summer football or Edinburgh having less cars etc.

Incidentally, the credit crunch was mentioned a couple of times and I actually think that this could be the best thing that has happened to Hearts for a while. Since Vlad's a banker he's probably taken one eye off Hearts and let Csaba get on wi his job.

Onwards and upwards. I enjoyed yesterday's result and enjoyed hearing Alan Owenson and George Dudgeon's take on the match last night. I hope we win every game we play from now and evermore.

I think it's a shame that the team are busting a gut now and there are 4,000 empty seats.

However, people have their reasons for not attending and I respect that.

What we need to do is try and work out a way of getting the fans back that packed out Tynecastle during 05/06.

We are all Hearts fans, and I had the absolute pleasure of meeting the Canada-based lads a couple of years ago. They weren't there yesterday, but they love the club as much as I do.

Our biggest strength is our unity.

Buffalo Bill

Vlad can`t continue to throw decent money at the club if the fans walk away after a sub-standard season. Maybe he hasn`t made the same investment in the team as he did 3 years ago but we are still paying wages to certain players which we probably shouldn`t be in accordance with our finances which the club brings in on it`s own.

Hearts will only grow if we can increase the basic support that`ll always turn up no matter what. Sadly, while we do have a passionate loyal home support, too many don`t have the staying power through tougher times.

vlad on the tyne
Whatever!!

My point is I enjoyed getting behind the team today, as I have for the last 45 years plus, I enjoyed the effort put in by the players , I enjoyed being surounded by LOYAL Hearts fans as I have for years but I wish more of those 'so called Hearts fans' would turn up on a more regular basis instead of staying at home because VR has promised them more!!!

We are and always have been STREETS ahead of the Hobos when it comes to support and scores but that is not what this thraed is about!!!

So as a loyal hearts fan for 45 years you will have been to every game home and away?.

If not you my loyal 6ft + friend are a bona fide part timer.

and if as you say we are streets ahead of the hobos why are you trying to stir the sheeite?

you went to the game yesterday fair play, lets see your medal!

Miller Jambo 60
ST holder for 14 years until this year. The way the club is run is insulting to fans. VR's erratic decisions, interference, etc - basically reached breaking point. Why watch a team which isn't picked on merit? VRs interests are different from the fans....I could go on..

aWWW we baby no like Vlad shame we didums put the dummy in.:P

Miller Jambo 60
I'm the proud owner of 200 shares and my name is on the 500 club board. I no longer own a ST (owned one for all but one season from 1982/83 to 2006/07) but you're watching the club I own from MY stand:p

There are many reasons I no longer attend Hearts games. Here are 10 in no particular order.

1. TV companies changing ko time/dates at short notice. I can't make Saturday 12.30 ko's or some Sundays meaning I'd miss a few games every season and they are most likely the bigger ones.

2. TV overkill - I'm kind of de-sensitised if you like after watching TV every day for the past 10 years.

3. Quality of football - imo has dropped drastically over the past few years.

4. Cost - ?27 for a "cheap" seat to watch Hearts v Hibs, when it's less than ?11 to watch a Bundesliga match involving Bayern Munich(there was a thread on this a few weeks back). Combined with point 3 I can't see value for money anywhere in Scottish league football.

5. Here we go...Vladimir Romanov. The ultimate reason for our failure to put our best XI on the park since the departure of George Burley. I mean, Jose Goncalves would not be far from my nightmare Hearts XI yet he played to stay in the shop window. Say no more.

6. Fellow fans. I used to sit in the front of section B amongst morons. After playing football for 20 odd years and qualifying as a ref a couple of years back it never ceases to amaze me how little the average fan knws about the game. Being stuck in an all seated stadium now you can't move away from these people!

7. Folk on JKB wi a superiority complex, take note NBJT. Me and my cousin used to argue who was the best fan out the two of us when we were 13 FFS before realising what a futile argument that really was!

8. It's freezing! I've always wanted summer football. I know the traditionalists will argue but where are they reagarding the change of ko times/days? If it has to be winter then it has to be 3pm every Saturday, Does anyone enjoy watching/playing football on a MONDAY night in awful conditions eg wind/driving rain etc?

9. Money. A lot of players (and we suffer more than most) are simply wage-thieves now and don't give a schiedt about clubs/fans or even the game as a whole.

10. Parking. I work on Saturday nights so I really have to drive to games. I used to go on the Pans bus but couldn't get to work quick enough using this. Edinburgh is now a nightmare to get into and find a space when Hearts are at home. I now watch Preston Athletic (who, for some reason merited a mention earlier in this thread) as its 10 minutes walk fi my house.

There you go NB, you asked WHY I don't go any more and its nothing to do with glory seeking or all about my anti-Vlad politics. I'll continue to support Hearts financially but I'm not sure if i'll ever return on matchdays on a regular basis cos I don't see price coming down or summer football or Edinburgh having less cars etc.

Incidentally, the credit crunch was mentioned a couple of times and I actually think that this could be the best thing that has happened to Hearts for a while. Since Vlad's a banker he's probably taken one eye off Hearts and let Csaba get on wi his job.

Onwards and upwards. I enjoyed yesterday's result and enjoyed hearing Alan Owenson and George Dudgeon's take on the match last night. I hope we win every game we play from now and evermore.

Missed Andys goal mate superb but im only a fan (A REAL ONE)

I am the best fan. 430 mile round trip to tynecastle

So the thread can close and you can all look up to me. End of;)

this thread is ridiculous, the type of guff you hear in a school playground.

i had a season ticket for 6 years then had to give it up coz I played saturday football.

that was a couple of years ago and i still haven't got one due to personal reasons...reasons that have sod all to do with VR...as i'm not often at the games i listen/watch on the radio/tv/internet.

but i buy a new strip every season and if i get a bumper wage or a win at the bookies or then i try and attend games.

i'd bloody love to be at tynie week in week out but i simply cant.

does this honestly make me any less of a supporter?

Archived