Scottish Food

Sydney

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Why don’t you eat till after 10am? 

No real reason, I try to push it as far as is comfortable, first target is to get to 10 am...but when it's a good day I can go til lunch time.

But the amount of coffee and tea that gets drunk means I do pee a lot :lol:

Canscot
2 hours ago, Lovecraft said:

Haddock poached in milk, then served with a cheese and parsley sauce made with the milk.  Served with new potatoes and butter.

haddock-with-mustard-and-wine-sauce-for-

Awfy bland looking plate of food that!

JudyJudyJudy
26 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

No real reason, I try to push it as far as is comfortable, first target is to get to 10 am...but when it's a good day I can go til lunch time.

Oh just thought you might be on the intermittent fasting diet . I was on this but I’ve decided to drop it as I wasn’t feeling that great by literally starving myself for long stretches at a time . My blood glucose levels were all over the place . I hadn’t linked that was to do with IFD until I had a consultation with a nutritionalist .  Oh I piss all the time . Been like that for decades . 😂

Lovecraft
27 minutes ago, Canscot said:

Awfy bland looking plate of food that!

One way trip to Tasty Town though.

😉

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

One way trip to Tasty Town though.

😉

Looks great . 

JudyJudyJudy

Just been to local fishmonger and bought some dressed haddock . I’ll have that with peas , cauliflower and a parsley cheese sauce the night !! Yummy 

Konrad von Carstein
40 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Just been to local fishmonger and bought some dressed haddock . I’ll have that with peas , cauliflower and a parsley cheese sauce the night !! Yummy 

Crusty bread, butter and sliced tomatoes...try it...🤤

il Duce McTarkin
3 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Good stuff, Konnie. I do 6pm 'till lunchtime the following day when I'm away at work or when the kids are at school/nursery. Feel much better for it and really clear-headed mid morning. Don't do it when I'm looking after the kids as me being hangry isn't fair on them when they're pushing the boundaries (as is their habit ;)).

Konrad von Carstein
20 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Good stuff, Konnie. I do 6pm 'till lunchtime the following day when I'm away at work or when the kids are at school/nursery. Feel much better for it and really clear-headed mid morning. Don't do it when I'm looking after the kids as me being hangry isn't fair on them when they're pushing the boundaries (as is their habit ;)).

We eat stupidly late some week nights because, reasons, so pushing the break of fast, so to speak was an attempt at compensating.

Strangely, it's easier to do when WFH...

PaddysBar
9 hours ago, John Findlay said:

You Cannae go wrong with Mince and Tatties.

Used to love that as a kid. 

Any good recipes as I think my kids would like it. 

My nana used to make it with a stewed whole onion. Lovely. 

PaddysBar
4 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I don’t seem to get hungry at all much to be honest and never really have since I was a kid. 

For example, I was in Aberdeen with work Tuesday, no breakfast and a sandwich for lunch. I didn’t eat anything else until lunchtime Wednesday and while I was looking forward to a sandwich from obriens on Stafford street, I couldn’t say I was actually hungry. 

Bairnjambo

When my daughter comes home from London, she is always looking for  steak pie from pur local butchers. Apparently you cant get anything similar down south.

One of the worst things about having lived in England for a few years was their chippies.

Back then you had three choices;

Steak pie.

Saveloy.

Fish.

And that was it.

Greedy Jambo

I love Scotland, but Scottish food...

If you're really honest with yourself, it's nothing to shout about, and most of it is unhealthy as ****. 

Fajitas all day long, and i've never even been to Mexico.

14 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not a chance unless you want to be disappointed (my opinion only of course).  I’ve had these fellas a number of times but never again……….you spend 5 minutes on each one of these little armoured barstewards, cracking, hammering, scooping and bashing away, and at the end there’s fek all there, complete waste of time and effort 🤷‍♂️.

And they're no cheap. 

I worked on a boat for a while getting them and lobsters from the Sound Of Raasay. All the big ones went straight to markets in Paris. The French will pay top dollar for Scottish shellfish. 

Edited by Tazio

Der Kaiser

Finish off the the whole day with a cup of tea and a tunnocks snowball

(Remember to put the snowballs in the freezer first......yup....you heard me.....this is how you should eat them now)

PaddysBar
2 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

If you're really honest with yourself, it's nothing to shout about, and most of it is unhealthy as ****. 

Sorry but that’s absolute nonsense. 

54 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Finish off the the whole day with a cup of tea and a tunnocks snowball

(Remember to put the snowballs in the freezer first......yup....you heard me.....this is how you should eat them now)

Snowball in the freezer for how long?  Just to cool it down or to make it properly frozen?

Ulysses
18 minutes ago, Sydney said:

Snowball in the freezer for how long?  Just to cool it down or to make it properly frozen?

Jaysus!   This reddit thread suggests 3-4 hours.  

PaddysBar
7 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

I put real snowballs in the freezer one winter around 1985. 

Took them into school in May/June and started lobbing them around. 

Teachers were very confused😀

John Findlay
14 hours ago, PaddysBar said:

Used to love that as a kid. 

Any good recipes as I think my kids would like it. 

My nana used to make it with a stewed whole onion. Lovely. 

I do it with Mince, onions and carrots all in the one pot, I use 2/3 oxo cubes for the gravy, upto you whether you mash the Tatties or not. I prefer them mashed, then with brown sauce on them.

1 hour ago, PaddysBar said:

I put real snowballs in the freezer one winter around 1985. 

Took them into school in May/June and started lobbing them around. 

Teachers were very confused😀

One for the oldies here.

(Kids ….  Marathons are what “Snickers” are really  called.  See also Opal Fruits.)

highlandjambo3
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

I worked on a boat for a while getting them and lobsters from the Sound Of Raasay. All the big ones went straight to markets in Paris. The French will pay top dollar for Scottish shellfish. 

Yes, I know lots of unpleasant looking stuff goes to the garlic munchers, velvet crabs being another delicacy.  We’re a fickle bunch us UK ers…….we don’t like our food staring back at us.

Lone Striker
11 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Fajitas all day long, and i've never even been to Mexico.

:cornette:

Its only unhealthy as **** if you eat the unhealthy stuff !!      There's loads and loads of good tasty, healthy Scottish produce (lots mentioned above).

Edited by Lone Striker

31 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes, I know lots of unpleasant looking stuff goes to the garlic munchers, velvet crabs being another delicacy.  We’re a fickle bunch us UK ers…….we don’t like our food staring back at us.

Velvet crabs used to end up in Spain. 

Der Kaiser
8 hours ago, Sydney said:

Mines were in for quite a while and never properly froze in the middle but I think a good 3 hours is probably best.

It's a taste sensation. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

Velvet crabs used to end up in Spain. 

Makes a change from people coming back from Spain with crabs... 

Canscot
On 27/04/2024 at 01:42, John Findlay said:

I do it with Mince, onions and carrots all in the one pot, I use 2/3 oxo cubes for the gravy, upto you whether you mash the Tatties or not. I prefer them mashed, then with brown sauce on them.

I do basically the same as you except when it is time to add the water , after browning the mince. I add a 330 ml can of V8 vegetable juice ( a good way of getting veggies into fussy kids without them knowing) then top up with water. At the end I thicken it with Bisto or some other thickening agent and add frozen peas. My tatties I mash and add sour cream to them instead of milk or butter to make them creamy.  Sooooo good. Like you I add HP sauce on top of my plateful. 

Padrone della casa

Went to Rugby Park yesterday with Mrs P for the first time in a good number of years. I have to say, I was disappointed with that well known Scottish delicacy, the Killie pie. Was not as tasty as I remembered them. In my opinion not a good as the Edinburgh butchers’ pies steak pies.