Match day catering

jamborich

GinRummy
6 hours ago, Sooks said:

The £ 6 PR bar scran is usually pretty decent . Kebab pies are rank though imo 

Minging. The taste in your mouth after one is really horrible. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• The Treasurer

• highlandjambo3

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Minging. The taste in your mouth after one is really horrible. 

Same . It does not go away either . Still taste it coming back hours later 

been here before
22 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I can speak for myself thanks. 

Not sure what you find hard to make sense of. 

I go to Tynecastle for the football, not the food. 

It's quite simple to understand 

You tell them.

Its like the folk who buy programmes. I go for the football not to read books.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, brawlad74 said:

I've always tried to get a prog whenever I go to a game. Got hundreds in various boxes back to mid 70's inc some aways and neutral games. Even buy the cup ones that irritatingly don't fit in your pocket. Old habits and that but I'd miss getting them at the game if/ when that stops. 

Part of the experience 

Pasquale for King
47 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Of course we need to maximise income and match day catering is part of that, but I just think pies, hotdogs etc are more than enough to satisfy most people who feel the need to have food at a football match 

As long as everyone is catered for and happy enough I think the range is fine as you say. 

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Prawn Sanwiches. 

Don’t know whats worse, the thought of it or your spelling 🤢🤮😜?!?!

GinRummy
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Don’t know whats worse, the thought of it or your spelling 🤢🤮😜?!?!

😂 where’s autocorrect when you need it. 

Bunny Munro

Need to get The Apprentice to bring back their £8 meatballs.

Shooter McGavin
52 minutes ago, been here before said:

You tell them.

Its like the folk who buy programmes. I go for the football not to read books.

The guy who sits in front of me goes to the games with his dad, both of them blethering away during the match.

I go for the football, not to talk.

tcjambo

Perhaps the answer is to try and wean fans over to eating healthier food?

JamboAl
4 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

Where did I say I wanted food delivered? I was only replying to a post earlier in the thread that Hearts used to deliver food to seats which was confirmed, it stopped years ago.

PS try going to sport on the other side of the pond, non stop them selling food and drink throughout the game

Where did I say you did?

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Perhaps the answer is to try and wean fans over to eating healthier food?

Fair point, theres not anything healthy as such. 

Famous 1874

Our pies are pretty average (excluding the kebab pie which is top drawer) but are still one of the best in the league which is saying something regarding the standard of pies in the top flight. 

Food and catering options need improved but ultimately we need to get people to arrive earlier and stay later at the stadium. 

In Germany you can get pints, bratwurst, Currywurst among others before and after games. 

Went to Leipzig and the post match food options were unbelievable but clearly they have different infrastructure and far more available space.

Get some catering vans on the foundation plaza before games. Have a pop up kiosk which changes every match day in the Wheatfield? Use the space that exists where the curry shed used to be. 

The Hogfather

Anyone who goes to the football and wants anything more elaborate than a pie and a drink are in the wrong place. Imagine sitting and eating a curry at the football.

:cornette: 

Pans Jambo
11 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

I was at a game at Stockport this season. They sell pie, mash and mushy peas in a cardboard box for about £7. It was superb. No fancy facilities involved.

This is the type of thing we need. 
Our catering at Tynecastle is slop n shit. 

Pans Jambo
5 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

Anyone who goes to the football and wants anything more elaborate than a pie and a drink are in the wrong place. Imagine sitting and eating a curry at the football.

Ah rhrrremember when ah waz a lad….same then, same now. Nowt ever changes. 

Polonia Gorgie
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

The guy who sits in front of me goes to the games with his dad, both of them blethering away during the match.

I go for the football, not to talk.

I get really annoyed when the ground staff come out, I go to see footballers not gardeners 

16 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I get really annoyed when the ground staff come out, I go to see footballers not gardeners 

Dont even get me started on those other fans as well . Pricks . I go to the football to watch the football not see other fans 

Shooter McGavin
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Dont even get me started on those other fans as well . Pricks . I go to the football to watch the football not see other fans 

Really bugs me when they play music before the game, at half-time, and then at full-time.

I go to watch the football, not listen to music.

been here before
46 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Really bugs me when they play music before the game, at half-time, and then at full-time.

I go to watch the football, not listen to music.

Its these mascots and the 'half time heroes' bairns.

Now I may be in the minority here but I go to watch the football not keep an eye on someone else bairns for 10/15 minutes. Im not some sort of some free childcare option.

Edited by been here before

Gorgiewave

Could we sell some Greggs-like baguettes? Some individually-wrapped fresh fruit?

We have kitchens in the Main Stand. Could we not make decent food for the game? Filled rolls would be preferable to a rubber hot dog.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

Spilling it on some ******s white Stone Island sweatshirt 😆🤬🤪?!?!

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Gorgiewave said:

Could we sell some Greggs-like baguettes? Some individually-wrapped fresh fruit?

We have kitchens in the Main Stand. Could we not make decent food for the game? Filled rolls would be preferable to a rubber hot dog.

Apparently we have 9 kitchens, must be doable surely 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?

maltese jambo
19 hours ago, jamborich said:

Think we need to up our game pretty basic stuff, new hotel brilliant restaurant but the stuff we serve at the game is one star and not value for money 

Right.

There aren't enough outlets, hardly any choice and food is crap.

I tend to stay away due to length of time it would take to actually get through the queue.

So it's lost business.

feedthefox

A kids juice (Capri-Sun) is £3.50 which utterly shameful, pies are either rock hard or filling falls through base soon as it's removed from foil also whatever happened to the chips? 

At least they have plenty staff at tills but I agree they could up their game and consider some of the pricing.

Sinbad the Sailor

Went to a game in India. The wee guys chuck you a samosa wrapped in newspaper. They then come up for the 30p worth of rupees. They were on a par with our kebab pies.

Been at Arsenal and a lot of the row of nearby houses have their BBQs on in the front garden selling decent burgers.

15 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

I was at a game at Stockport this season. They sell pie, mash and mushy peas in a cardboard box for about £7. It was superb. No fancy facilities involved.

You're aware you were at a football match though?

Opinionated Jambo
8 hours ago, feedthefox said:

A kids juice (Capri-Sun) is £3.50 which utterly shameful, pies are either rock hard or filling falls through base soon as it's removed from foil also whatever happened to the chips? 

At least they have plenty staff at tills but I agree they could up their game and consider some of the pricing.

I tend to agree with the quality / portions of food not just at Tynecastle, but other clubs in Scotland and England. I totally understand fully that it is profit for the club etc and its all revenue but some of the prices people pay for pretty basic stuff is unfair especially if you have a couple of children with you.

The food at Scottish football is generally shite because the public allows it to be shite.  

Food and drink options in other countries aren't always great, but they are nearly always better than the options in Scotland.

hmfcbilly

I rarely buy anything from the kiosks but, when I have, I'm shocked at the prices they charge for very average at best quality. Sure I bought a steak pie and bovril at a midweek game and never saw any change from £7 or thereabouts. 

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Get some catering vans on the foundation plaza before games. Have a pop up kiosk which changes every match day in the Wheatfield? Use the space that exists where the curry shed used to be. 

This will not happen in the current climate, catering vans will not make enough to cover their overheads, also consider the pitch rental that hearts will charge each of these units.

What (beer) would make (beer) a difference as mentioned (beer), would be getting (beer) punters in early.  Beer tents on the plaza would be a game changer IMO but, we’re a fickle bunch us hearts fans, would people flock to the plaza for beer or stick with the usual local boozers?  What would make a difference would be the beer price and speed of *delivery, if the price is too high and queues too long then it’s dead in the water from the off.

* Are there such things as fast pouring multiple point beer dispensers? Has anyone ever seen beer vending machines for DIY? Or just sell bottled beer, is glass allowed etc🤷‍♂️……it does have potential.

highlandjambo3
11 hours ago, Sooks said:

And…and….and……what the fek are those bit TV screens all about?  I go to the football to watch football not the tv.

highlandjambo3
10 hours ago, Gorgiewave said:

10 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Apparently we have 9 kitchens, must be doable surely 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?

All decent opinions but who’s paying the staff to do this?

The rubber hotdog takes 5 minutes to heat up, almost zip prep and probably sell in excess of 90% each game.

Filled rolls? Fillings can be bought in bulk but expensive also, See my first point.

From my previous catering experience, I’d spend 3 days prepping food before going to an event.  Ok so the industrial kitchens are a bit different from what I had but, do not under estimate the issues regarding preparation of food.

Harry Potter
On 09/04/2024 at 04:18, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Kebab pie, one star.

Card only kiosks? 0 stars, disgusting.

Cash is Kong.

Agree, at the very least you should have a choice.

15 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I can speak for myself thanks. 

Not sure what you find hard to make sense of. 

I go to Tynecastle for the football, not the food. 

It's quite simple to understand 

You can do both? 

JamboAl
32 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

The rubber hotdog takes 5 minutes to heat up, almost zip prep and probably sell in excess of 90% each game.

Filled rolls? Fillings can be bought in bulk but expensive also, See my first point.

From my previous catering experience, I’d spend 3 days prepping food before going to an event.  Ok so the industrial kitchens are a bit different from what I had but, do not under estimate the issues regarding preparation of food.

An important factor to consider (in the high prices charged) is the cost of staff to serve at kiosks.

To get competent staff to come out on an average of around one Saturday afternoon in two during the season for say 3 hours (4 if you include travel time) is not easy.  That person would have travel costs and travel time to incur so they are not likely to come out for a pittance of a wage.  Even at a tenner an hour that would be a wage of £30 and if they were already paying tax that is reduced to £24 less £4 possibly for bus fares, leaving £20 for 4 hours' home absence -  or a fiver an hour.  I wouldn't do it unless I was a bit desperate and had to.

westbow
25 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

You can do both? 

Monotask or GTF. As it is I’m struggling to write this and have a cup of coffee. Dribbling down my jumper and everything.

davemclaren
42 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Agree, at the very least you should have a choice.

You do have a choice.  Use a card or don't eat/drink.  😎

hmfc_liam06

Last time I had a pie from Tynecastle I landed up in hospital with a severe bout of food poisoning. Never touched a thing from them since, I'd rather go hungry.

highlandjambo3
On 09/04/2024 at 04:18, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Kebab pie, one star.

Card only kiosks? 0 stars, disgusting.

Cash is Kong.

Take into account that card only systems can cash up instantly……..cash on the other hand requires someone to count up:

..and cash only can be nicked 😳

IMG_6090.jpeg

By The Light..

Cash or card all costs the club and guess they've worked out that card is better.

Every card transaction has a percentage cost anything from about 0.6% to 2% depending on the contract and the type of card used.

4000 folk paying a tenner is £40K to be handled plus they need to give out change which costs as well.

Plus cash can be pocketed.

Card is quicker and easier, until it breaks down. Which is exactly what happened in my local Tesco last month. Absolute chaos ensued.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

They’re obviously busy no doubt, but we might make more money if we had more options? I’m sure the club will be all over it because they usually maximise revenue at every opportunity. 
We were in Bristol eight years ago and they’re facilities were amazing, we were late and went in the wrong gate, food and drinks kiosks all the way round the stadium so extremely little queues. New stadium obviously. 
Can’t remember the quality though, but it can be done. 

Edited by Pasquale for King
Spelling

B4 Part B

I liked when we did burger and chips, not sure why that stopped?

A few good ideas in this thread, didn't realise the veggie option was a macaroni pie, will give that a try!

A few people mentioning the foil wrapper, is that just an innocent slip or are different kiosks packaging different, or have they not had a pie for a while as the pies come in a cardboard sleeve in the main stand, have done for a while.

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Sir PH said:

You can do both? 

Really?? 

I do realise that, but personally it's not the reason I go to Tynecastle 

davemclaren
34 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Last time I had a pie from Tynecastle I landed up in hospital with a severe bout of food poisoning. Never touched a thing from them since, I'd rather go hungry.

I've been eating pies ( not every match ) at Tynecastle for 60 years and never got ill once.  You need to drink more pre-match. 😄

Harry Potter
13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I've been eating pies ( not every match ) at Tynecastle for 60 years and never got ill once.  You need to drink more pre-match. 😄

Your obviously immune to the odd rogue pie, 😃, tbh , never had any trouble myself.

Pasquale for King
35 minutes ago, B4 Part B said:

I liked when we did burger and chips, not sure why that stopped?

A few good ideas in this thread, didn't realise the veggie option was a macaroni pie, will give that a try!

A few people mentioning the foil wrapper, is that just an innocent slip or are different kiosks packaging different, or have they not had a pie for a while as the pies come in a cardboard sleeve in the main stand, have done for a while.

There are also vegan pies and Sausage rolls, all good. Some things come in paper or as you say a cardboard sleeve. 
Dudnt realise they had stopped doing Burgers or chips. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

38 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Really?? 

I do realise that, but personally it's not the reason I go to Tynecastle 

I don't think it's the main reason anybody goes to football. But having a decent choice of food can make the all round experience better, and might even encourage others.