• Pasquale for King

• The Treasurer

• highlandjambo3

• davemclaren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

joondalupjambo
3 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I seem to remember a few years ago they had a system where your ordered your pie and bovril etc and they delivered it to your seat, or have I just made that up?

You are thinking of the beer wenches at the Australian cricket matches in years gone bye 🙂

hughesie27

The steak and gravy pies are always decent when I've ever bought them. Can see the appeal of the kebab pie bit I like some garlic mayo which it's missing.

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Not great either, but about 3 quid for one of those pies and 3 quid for hot water and powder is wild.

6 plastic cups, bovril powder in each, 99p in B&M.

fabienleclerq

The food is shite, I don't buy the time aspect either. Other clubs appear to do it better.

Think we could utilise the space between the stands better etc.

11 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

6 plastic cups, bovril powder in each, 99p in B&M.

Yeh it's magnificent! I love a Bovril.

AC Mallin_51

Kebab pies are class but £4 is steep. Nearly every other ground offers macaroni or chicken curry pies also, we offer neither. The curry shed was good but is a distant memory 

Shooter McGavin
26 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I might be in the minority, but I go to Tynecastle for the football, not for lunch.

Aye maybe we should shut down all matchday catering, scrap the hotel, close the 1874 bar, close the shop, get rid of all hospitality suites.

Go for the football only or GTF!

Saint Jambo
9 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Kebab pies are class but £4 is steep. Nearly every other ground offers macaroni or chicken curry pies also, we offer neither. The curry shed was good but is a distant memory 

We do offer macaroni pies. They are listed on the menu as veggie pie or veggie options or something, but they are available. I prefer them to the meat pies on offer.

The Treasurer
9 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Aye maybe we should shut down all matchday catering, scrap the hotel, close the 1874 bar, close the shop, get rid of all hospitality suites.

I'm quite sure that is not what I said or suggested, but don't let that stop you from slavering utter crap

Heartsofgold
1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I don’t think there will be too much waste tbh, I used to run a Mobil catering outlet for a few years doing horse shows, Highland Games etc……..in the beginning at first your stock levels are full on to sell as much as possible as quickly as possible (hence the *hotdog, pie type of thing) you quickly learn to balance your stock by setting the bar mid to low, I know that sounds quite negative but, once you’ve sold out you’ve achieved your target and your waste levels are minimal/nil.

I’ve been to the kiosk's at the later side of half time and on many occasions there is very little left, so I’d wager that’s what the club does, if you’ve got your mind on a hotdog but they’ve only got pies left you’ll have a pie/burger etc…….crisps/chocolate bars as a back up as they won’t spoil and need no prep.   Of course the food critics are crying out for something else but it is what it is, all that can be improved is the quality of pies.

Not ITK but I’d wager the curry she’d failed because of the overheads, time spent on prep, ability to sell high volume in a short space etc and, most likely any other future gourmet ideas (who of course have the best intentions) will go the same way.

* BTW, I didn’t sell burgers etc, I sold fresh cooked baked potatoes using a large industrial oven with home made fillings, chilli (including veg), beans, cheese, haggis & needs etc…..and stovies & corned beef hash, pulled pork with apple sauce.👍

Very good points mate.  I've just seen them taking bags of pies and stuff away after full time and feel these could be sold rather than thrown but, obviously, there is the cost of manning the kiosks to take into consideration.

Shooter McGavin
22 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I'm quite sure that is not what I said or suggested, but don't let that stop you from slavering utter crap

You suggested that you might be in the minority because you go to the football... for the football.

Bold to suggest others are slavering 😄

westbow

I presume the card only thing is a time saver. Guaranteed otherwise to be stuck behind some halfwit searching for change. Also they don't do human error as much. Fees are decent nowadays from credit card companies like Square and Zettle and does away with the arse ache of getting coins and taking notes to the bank. Who doesn't have any kind of card nowadays anyway?

AC Mallin_51
53 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

We do offer macaroni pies. They are listed on the menu as veggie pie or veggie options or something, but they are available. I prefer them to the meat pies on offer.

I didn’t know that! I do like a macaroni pie will need to get on on Saturday 🤣

Thomaso
5 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Correct was beelin at killie game in the fans bar. Strolled up to bar carrying a wad and politely told card only. What’s the world coming to😡

Yup the world not only Hearts - get with it!

Gershwin

Did we change supplier about a year or two ago? The steak pies have gone downhill recently imo. 

Also curious why people are so against card only as well? It makes life so much easier paying contactless or with my phone.

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I'm in.

Roaming death squads to deal with anyone who tries selling black market 50/50 draw tickets and programme sellers to be hung from the floodlights.

Edited by Jim_Duncan

boag1874

I don't mind our pies tbh, they're fine, certainly had worse. Kebab pie is brilliant. Been a long time since I had a hotdog from tynie but iirc they're rollover ones which are standard most places. We tried something new with the Curry Shed & it hasn't reopened in years which suggests it was a failed experiment that didn't bring much ROI.

End of the day football food kiosks just need to be basic snack bars that are more designed for convenience than quality with the vast, vast majority of their customers coming in a short window during half time before rushing back to their seats or out for a quick smoke so as not to miss the game. Unless we allow clubs to sell booze inside the concourses which might tempt people into the ground a bit earlier pre kickoff like you see in other nations then I can't see anything changing in that regard, people would rather sit in a pub with a pint for as long as they can before leaving otherwise.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

Very good points mate.  I've just seen them taking bags of pies and stuff away after full time and feel these could be sold rather than thrown but, obviously, there is the cost of manning the kiosks to take into consideration.

It’s possible these were being stored to resell.

H & S catering rules state that food which has been cooked piping hot can be held at a temperature above 63 (on a hot plate etc)then, if you wish to chill the food to reheat and sell later it must be cooled down to below 5 within 90 minutes, it then needs to be reheated above at least 86 before it can be resold.  You may have seen food being transported to refrigerators, the only underlying fact here is although it’s perfectly legal to reheat food to *sell again, the quality will diminish.

* you can only do this once though.

Edited by highlandjambo3

Shooter McGavin
46 minutes ago, westbow said:

I presume the card only thing is a time saver. Guaranteed otherwise to be stuck behind some halfwit searching for change. Also they don't do human error as much. Fees are decent nowadays from credit card companies like Square and Zettle and does away with the arse ache of getting coins and taking notes to the bank. Who doesn't have any kind of card nowadays anyway?

Your "cash is king", anti-vax loons who think they're living off-the-grid

been here before
2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

I might be in the minority, but I go to Tynecastle for the football, not for lunch.

Is that because eating a pie and watching the football at the same time is too difficult?

Anyhow, top of my head grounds wher Ive had a pie this season that have been better than Tynecastle... Ross County, Killie, St Mirren although the bottom was a bit doughy, Perth, Motherwell, Livvy.

Cannae mind if we got any at Airdrie, didnt bother at Spartans and gave Pittodrie a swerve as their pies are as shite as ours and served from that grotty wee concrete kiosk thing up the back, near the bogs.

Never tried Easter Road fare as Im loathe to give them anything above the price of the ticket.

JamboAl
5 hours ago, Radio Ga Ga said:

I seem to remember a few years ago they had a system where your ordered your pie and bovril etc and they delivered it to your seat, or have I just made that up?

People go to watch a match not to pass pies and bovril along to someone sitting in the middle of a row nor for their view to be continually blocked by staff appearing every 5 minutes to deliver.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

You suggested that you might be in the minority because you go to the football... for the football.

Bold to suggest others are slavering 😄

Not others, just you 

Jim_Duncan

Will have a word with my 9 year-old son about his political stances later.

westbow

😂 - and the tourists that only have £50 notes.

westbow
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Will have a word with my 9 year-old son about his political stances later.

Harsh having the laddie getting the pies in. 

Jim_Duncan
1 minute ago, westbow said:

Harsh having the laddie getting the pies in. 

Wait until I tell you about the time he dropped my two cups of Bovril.

westbow
Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

Wait until I tell you about the time he dropped my two cups of Bovril.

Yikes, seen a guy getting a whole cup over him once. The guy sitting in front of him did a weird Jack douglasesque (from carry on films) twitch. Remarkably not on drop missed him.

image.jpeg.39bdb1138c9534aa0725651290bdcb80.jpeg

Jim_Duncan
5 minutes ago, westbow said:

Yikes, seen a guy getting a whole cup over him once. The guy sitting in front of him did a weird Jack douglasesque (from carry on films) twitch. Remarkably not on drop missed him.

image.jpeg.39bdb1138c9534aa0725651290bdcb80.jpeg

Surprised this doesn't happen more often given how badly they fit the lids and how pissed some folk are.

jamboiain13

Maybe we could have more than the one bank of kiosks open in the Main Stand to help with the congestion at H/T.  Kebab pies are the best thing ever!

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, jamboiain13 said:

Maybe we could have more than the one bank of kiosks open in the Main Stand to help with the congestion at H/T.  Kebab pies are the best thing ever!

I’m at that end, didn’t realise thats the only one open at HT. 

Pasquale for King

We should really have merch and programmes on sale inside the ground also. 

Radio Ga Ga
2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

People go to watch a match not to pass pies and bovril along to someone sitting in the middle of a row nor for their view to be continually blocked by staff appearing every 5 minutes to deliver.

Where did I say I wanted food delivered? I was only replying to a post earlier in the thread that Hearts used to deliver food to seats which was confirmed, it stopped years ago.

PS try going to sport on the other side of the pond, non stop them selling food and drink throughout the game

brawlad74
8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We should really have merch and programmes on sale inside the ground also. 

Been saying this for ages. Plenty room on concourse ie Wheatfield/ Gorgie for pop up merch. They've done this before at Xmas but should be every home game. Missed opportunity Hearts! PS progs been sold out twice this season by time I've got to ground tho that's good news for club. 

1874robbo

Bring in bains the butchers pies!!!

they’d be the best in Scotland hands down.

Polonia Gorgie
4 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

It's all about the match day experience not just the match. 

Shooter McGavin
5 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

It's all about the match day experience not just the match. 

Good luck getting any sense out of him, mate.

Pasquale for King
32 minutes ago, brawlad74 said:

Been saying this for ages. Plenty room on concourse ie Wheatfield/ Gorgie for pop up merch. They've done this before at Xmas but should be every home game. Missed opportunity Hearts! PS progs been sold out twice this season by time I've got to ground tho that's good news for club. 

You could understand if tourists or people who are in the Wheatfield didn’t want to trail all the way round to the shop, maybe buy a hat or gloves (which we rarely have) when its cold..

been here before
32 minutes ago, brawlad74 said:

PS progs been sold out twice this season by time I've got to ground tho that's good news for club. 

Dont know if you got them or not but if you miss out on programmes that you want you can often get them direct from the official suppliers here:

https://www.curtis-sport.com/heart-of-midlothian-fc

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

With your username you must grasp the need to maximise matchday revenue, or some shite like that 😜
The smell of pies during the game usually makes me hungry by HT 🙄.

Bunny Munro
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

With your username you must grasp the need to maximise matchday revenue, or some shite like that 😜

I fear that may be the issue.

The food we sell actually sells well and at a reasonably high price. With only 30-40 minutes of selling the club are probably already maximising what they could bring in from food stands, so why bother looking at better/different offerings. 

Edited by Bunny Munro

Pasquale for King
Just now, Bunny Munro said:

I fear that may be the issue.

The food we sell actually sells well and a reasonably high price. With only 30-40 minutes of selling the club are probably already maximising what they could bring in from food stands, so why bother looking at better/different offerings. 

I think like most football fans we are taken for granted, dont usually look at the prices and just pay for what i need. The veggie/vegan options are ok but they’re not always ready 😆

8 hours ago, been here before said:

The kebab pies aside, which are manna from heaven, the catering at Tynecastle is shit, must be one of the worst in the league.

The pies in the Wheatfield are rank. Over cooked, over heated, crusts so solid you could cut diamonds.

The price for a hot dog is laughable. One tepid sausage on a dry roll and you're looking at £5.

My local co-op has the same rollover hotdog machine with a couple of different choices - bigger, spicy etc and they're £3. Scunners me when the bairn says they dont want anything to eat before we leave then wants to get something at the game haha

brawlad74
14 minutes ago, been here before said:

Dont know if you got them or not but if you miss out on programmes that you want you can often get them direct from the official suppliers here:

https://www.curtis-sport.com/heart-of-midlothian-fc

I didn't get them so thank you for the link. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Fejka said:

My local co-op has the same rollover hotdog machine with a couple of different choices - bigger, spicy etc and they're £3. Scunners me when the bairn says they dont want anything to eat before we leave then wants to get something at the game haha

Scotmid in Gorgie has them too, with Greggs and the Gorgie fish bar there’s plenty competition for the kiosks.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, brawlad74 said:

I didn't get them so thank you for the link. 

I get one for my great nephew, usually when Im early so plenty on offer. Should definitely get someone to sell it onsite too. 
Can only be a matter of time before you can only get them online, as a few clubs have. 

brawlad74
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I get one for my great nephew, usually when Im early so plenty on offer. Should definitely get someone to sell it onsite too. 
Can only be a matter of time before you can only get them online, as a few clubs have. 

I've always tried to get a prog whenever I go to a game. Got hundreds in various boxes back to mid 70's inc some aways and neutral games. Even buy the cup ones that irritatingly don't fit in your pocket. Old habits and that but I'd miss getting them at the game if/ when that stops. 

The Treasurer

Good luck getting any sense out of him, mate.

I can speak for myself thanks. 

Not sure what you find hard to make sense of. 

I go to Tynecastle for the football, not the food. 

It's quite simple to understand 

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Of course we need to maximise income and match day catering is part of that, but I just think pies, hotdogs etc are more than enough to satisfy most people who feel the need to have food at a football match