Scotland Euro Friendlies

Mikey1874

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

I don't pay too much attention to scotland friendlies. 

Scots players have always had a motivational issue turning up to play for scotland in friendlies down the years.

Friendlies always bring that into sharp focus as the players just dont turn up. 

I thought the nations league had done away with friendlies anyway so disappointed to see their return as they're a dangerous waste of time. 

As evidenced yesterday, northern Ireland were out to break legs. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Mikey1874

• Hearts007

• tian447

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Super_Hans said:

Agree with this yet you had Tom English before the game last night saying that out of the six midfielders in the squad, he'd rank McGregor sixth. Absolutely clueless. 

McGregor is twice the player Christie is and if fit will start alongside Gilmour at the base of our midfield.

He’s massively underrated by the Scottish press which is strange given he’s Celtic captain, IMO it’s the EPL bias if you play there you’re a world beater according to them. I heard them say something like we have 7 EPL players NI only have one that’s the gulf in class, well clearly not on last nights showing. 

JDK2020
13 minutes ago, Rudi5kaceldream1ng said:

I don't pay too much attention to scotland friendlies. 

Scots players have always had a motivational issue turning up to play for scotland in friendlies down the years.

Friendlies always bring that into sharp focus as the players just dont turn up. 

I thought the nations league had done away with friendlies anyway so disappointed to see their return as they're a dangerous waste of time. 

As evidenced yesterday, northern Ireland were out to break legs. 

Gracious in defeat, eh? 🤣

Stevie Clarke has done an unbelievable job but there's no plan B. Both Michael O'Neills and Clarke were right in their interviews. Scotland aren't a top tier nation so we are set up for the counter attack. When we play sides like N.Ireland we need to play a different way. We need wingers and #10's. 

As O'Neil said, when we play better sides this system works for us, we are usually shit hot in transition so we're happy to allow other sides to have possession. Only issue now is that our previously sound defence is all over the shop. Probably missing Hanleys experience and leadership tbf because we're no getting that from Porteous, Hendry or Souttar. Probably need Hanley or McKenna in there. 

But Stevie Clarke is right to be confident that we will come good again. He knows the group, there's some really top class players in the team. Probably missing McGregor tbh, another leader and a calm head. 

I'm no bothering about results in friendlies. Yeah, we've not hit the levels we know we're capable of. 60mins v Holland we were very very good but the defence is a worry and the lack of any depth is a worry but there's no much we can do about that. 

It is about peaking in time for the Euros. Our key players are probably protecting themselves a wee bit as well because they're at clubs fighting for Champions League and Titles. So I kinda get it and I'm sure the boys will be looking to make a menze come the summer. 

waterboy11
15 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

In isolation I totally agree with your thoughts on this but Gordon isn't starting for Hearts so really it's being taken out of Clarke's hands. I'm actually surprised Gordon has been content to sit back and let this happen as he is clearly superior to Zander. His presence even in some easy Scottish Cup games is obvious. He has a size and aura which none of these other 3 do but he's not playing and it's killed any chance he had of getting the gloves for Scotland. I think he'll be the No2 in the summer and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play for us post split as well as in the semi-final but I think the ship has sailed in respect to him starting in Germany. 

On the inside he will 100% be desperate to be playing. However, with his age and experience he is being a model pro and (club) captain. He's been injured and his understudy has been performing well. He knows he can't just expect to walk back in. He's also the type of guy whose probably delighted at how well Clark is doing (goalies are a different breed and more often than not stick together a lot more)

I think if we get 3rd sewn up - he'll get the remaining league games which might boost him to number 1 for the Euros.

56 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Gracious in defeat, eh? 🤣

He’s correct though.

Eh?

8 hours ago, TexasAndy said:

The away support had a good night last night.  I trust they found their way back to Govan OK.

Pretty uneventful journey back to Edinburgh tbf.

hmfc_liam06
8 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Watching last night, one thing we are lacking creativity. Its a bit like watching Hearts this season (though we have learnt to break down teams playing like Northern Ireland but it can be tough) that lack of a player who can open things up and try different passes to get through the lines hampers us.

The formation and style yesterday was not set up to face it. It was set up to do the same and no real change till too late.

It goes back to a plan B, or lack of.

Even his subs were, and usually are, like for like.

hmfc_liam06
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

He’s massively underrated by the Scottish press which is strange given he’s Celtic captain, IMO it’s the EPL bias if you play there you’re a world beater according to them. I heard them say something like we have 7 EPL players NI only have one that’s the gulf in class, well clearly not on last nights showing. 

Even their EPL player is a youth breaking through at Liverpool. Quite honestly I'd expect Hearts to get a result against that Northern Ireland side. Their striker plays for Stevenage ffs :lol:

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, waterboy11 said:

On the inside he will 100% be desperate to be playing. However, with his age and experience he is being a model pro and (club) captain. He's been injured and his understudy has been performing well. He knows he can't just expect to walk back in. He's also the type of guy whose probably delighted at how well Clark is doing (goalies are a different breed and more often than not stick together a lot more)

I think if we get 3rd sewn up - he'll get the remaining league games which might boost him to number 1 for the Euros.

Why would Clark get dropped when 3rd is sewn up?

And barring injury there is no chance that Gunn won’t be no.1 at the Euros. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Even their EPL player is a youth breaking through at Liverpool. Quite honestly I'd expect Hearts to get a result against that Northern Ireland side. Their striker plays for Stevenage ffs :lol:

Even the Irish expected a pumping!

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Stevie Clarke has done an unbelievable job but there's no plan B. Both Michael O'Neills and Clarke were right in their interviews. Scotland aren't a top tier nation so we are set up for the counter attack. When we play sides like N.Ireland we need to play a different way. We need wingers and #10's. 

As O'Neil said, when we play better sides this system works for us, we are usually shit hot in transition so we're happy to allow other sides to have possession. Only issue now is that our previously sound defence is all over the shop. Probably missing Hanleys experience and leadership tbf because we're no getting that from Porteous, Hendry or Souttar. Probably need Hanley or McKenna in there. 

But Stevie Clarke is right to be confident that we will come good again. He knows the group, there's some really top class players in the team. Probably missing McGregor tbh, another leader and a calm head. 

I'm no bothering about results in friendlies. Yeah, we've not hit the levels we know we're capable of. 60mins v Holland we were very very good but the defence is a worry and the lack of any depth is a worry but there's no much we can do about that. 

It is about peaking in time for the Euros. Our key players are probably protecting themselves a wee bit as well because they're at clubs fighting for Champions League and Titles. So I kinda get it and I'm sure the boys will be looking to make a menze come the summer. 

Fair, Clarke reminds if of C Brown a bit.

He also had a good record,  but refused to try different things v different types of teams, even in friendlies.

I remember him recalling a veteran Pat Nevin back in the squad rather than experimenting with other options.

Tragic.

Seaside Dave
4 hours ago, Rudy T said:

Even the Irish expected a pumping!

Off Scotland ? Nah mate. Stroll in the park it was. Beating the nation of booooooooooo

Ricardo Quaresma
13 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Along the lines of how I feel.

Some - "Dykes helped get us there, deserves to play in Germany"

Me - "No, he is an empty jersey and will be playing against better opposition (other than Spain)"

If it's predictable that a player's getting picked (and it is) then why bother trying hard for club and country?

Clearly based on trust that players will focus and stay determined and hungry to win, but clearly, some have totally abused that trust

Last night, also, was a mish-mash of players thrown together to evaluate individuals, I'm not sure how much of a care there was to actually win, despite it being 6 games since beating cyprus away; we have 2 friendlies left to repair morale and confidence

I got the feeling since we went 3 up in cyprus that somehow we should be grateful that we're going to the Euros and not a toss is given about what happened after that moment; absolutely nothing is, or can rightfully be expected in this Tournament

gregzy2k7

Clarke has done an amazing job imo,

You can only piss with the 🐓 you have got,

The fact is Scotland are good in midfield and with the wingbacks, but they lack good defenders and a good enough front line (Shanks aside) so will not progress much further until that is rectified imo.

At least they qualifying for tournaments now,

I don't expect us to get out the group tbh, it's not impossible but Scotland are just lacking in certain areas of the park.

JDK2020
21 hours ago, Morgan said:

He’s correct though.

Eh?

Bollox, Scotland went out looking for a wee kickabout to get them back on track, and NI would be nothing more than whipping boys in the process.

However, the NI team is full of young guys hoping to make a name for themselves.
The booing of their anthem probably only served to make them even more determined to put up a fight.

And what about potato head McGinn diving all over the shop, not the behaviour one would expect from a seasoned internationalist in a friendly.

Scotland got what they deserved and need to man up for the test ahead in the summer.

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Bollox, Scotland went out looking for a wee kickabout to get them back on track, and NI would be nothing more than whipping boys in the process.

However, the NI team is full of young guys hoping to make a name for themselves.
The booing of their anthem probably only served to make them even more determined to put up a fight.

And what about potato head McGinn diving all over the shop, not the behaviour one would expect from a seasoned internationalist in a friendly.

Scotland got what they deserved and need to man up for the test ahead in the summer.

It’s not Northern Ireland’s national anthem.  It does deserve to be booed though.  

Ricardo Quaresma

Some 'quirky' posts up there, to say the least :mw_rolleyes:

JDK2020
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s not Northern Ireland’s national anthem.  It does deserve to be booed though.  

:vrface:

1 hour ago, JDK2020 said:

Their National anthem?  :rofl: 

ps.  Bollox to you as well.  👍

8 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

You forgot to type ‘dearie me’.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I saw your username, I could be forgiven that it wasn’t actually your post.

Cue your usual reply of ‘dearie me’.

JDK2020
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Their National anthem?  :rofl: 

ps.  Bollox to you as well.  👍

Erm, what is their anthem?

JDK2020
58 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You forgot to type ‘dearie me’.

If it wasn’t for the fact that I saw your username, I could be forgiven that it wasn’t actually your post.

Cue your usual reply of ‘dearie me’.

Sorry, WTF? 😀

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, JDK2020 said:

It isn’t, not sure what your point is.  It’s unfortunately as much ours as it is theirs.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

17 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Fair, Clarke reminds if of C Brown a bit.

He also had a good record,  but refused to try different things v different types of teams, even in friendlies.

I remember him recalling a veteran Pat Nevin back in the squad rather than experimenting with other options.

Tragic.

I don't see the comparison with Brown other than he's qualified is for two Tournaments to be honest. 

You're right about Brown. He probably did more damage than good in the end because he picked the same squad for about 8 years and many of those players were into their 30's. A whole generation of Scottish players never got a look in and it took us decades to recover. 

Clarke's squad isn't all has beens though. He's picking the best guys from the pool available to him. 

Scotland's issue is breaking teams down because we don't have wingers and #10's. We don't have much pace but what we do have is a system that allows us to play our best players together. Players who are usually tactically good. Very fit and very professionals good solid players. Guys that will run through brick walls. All our quality is on the left and midfield so that's the way we must play and it's all about transition for us but we can have periods of control because we have McGregor & Gilmour who are excellent in possession under pressure. 

Obviously recent results haven't been good for whatever reason but Clarke is the man for the job unless we lose our next two friendlies and embarrass ourselves at the Euros. Then we probably need fresh eyes it. But you'll find it'll probably be David Moyes who replaces him. Who will play a back 5, it'll be counter attacking football with Tierney and Robbo and much the same midfield, Gilmour, McGregor, McTominay and McGinn.

Folk can moan about Clarke but any coach worth their salt knows that we play to our strengths and piss wi the cock we've got. There's really no other way for us to play. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

The Soldier's Song?

Fozzyonthefence

They don’t have one and use different ones for different sports, similar to England.  

JDK2020
27 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

They don’t have one and use different ones for different sports, similar to England.  

27 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

:vrface:   🤣

JDK2020
2 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It isn’t, not sure what your point is.  It’s unfortunately as much ours as it is theirs.

Wasn't me making the point.

Some people on here seem to be confused - or in denial - as to what the NI anthem is. I'm enjoying the contortions they're going through though. :Shanks:

Fozzyonthefence
22 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Wasn't me making the point.

Some people on here seem to be confused - or in denial - as to what the NI anthem is. I'm enjoying the contortions they're going through though. :Shanks:

I think you’re clearly the one that is confused and laughing emojis don’t cover that up.  As I said, they don’t officially have a national anthem but you were the one who said they did and seemed to be a little delicate about GSTK getting booed so I hope you’re ok.  I’m also pretty confident that had absolutely **** all to do with the result.  I’d also imagine there’s a few in the NI squad that aren’t too keen on GSTK but there’s other posters on here who are more likely to know more about the individual players and coaches. 

JDK2020

I think you’re clearly the one that is confused and laughing emojis don’t cover that up.  As I said, they don’t officially have a national anthem but you were the one who said they did and seemed to be a little delicate about GSTK getting booed so I hope you’re ok.  I’m also pretty confident that had absolutely **** all to do with the result.  I’d also imagine there’s a few in the NI squad that aren’t too keen on GSTK but there’s other posters on here who are more likely to know more about the individual players and coaches. 

Lol

Aw bless, so what is it for you in your particular case; ignorance or denial?

The NI anthem is GSTK whether you like it or not. The clue is in the fact that that  is what was played at Hampden. And I made the suggestion that the booing may have indeed fired up the NI lads, and I don't blame them. What some may think of it is neither here nor there - it is STILL the anthem.

Are you really so ****ing thick?  :Shanks:

Fozzyonthefence

Lol

The NI anthem is GSTK whether you like it or not. The clue is in the fact that that  is what was played at Hampden. And I made the suggestion that the booing may have indeed fired up the NI lads, and I don't blame them. What some may think of it is neither here nor there - it is STILL the anthem.

It doesn’t matter what they play at football matches, GSTK is the British National Anthem!  It’s not the English NA, or N Ireland’s, or Wales, or Scotland.  It doesn’t belong to any of them individually but two of them use it at some, not all sporting events.  Why are you having difficulty understanding this?  Do you not understand the difference between the UK, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?  Instead of clogging this thread with your ignorance feel free to pm me and I’ll try to explain in words of one or two syllables. 

Tell me, what National anthem do N Ireland use at the Commonwealth Games?  Also, do you think the catholics in their football squad are going to give a shiny shite if GSTK is booed?!  

Lol

Not only are you patronising, you are arrogant, argumentative and pretty stupid.

It’s a quite wonderful foursome, and definitely a foursome you should be proud of..

Please, feel free to respond with ‘oh dear’ or yet another derogatory comment. 👍

14 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It doesn’t matter what they play at football matches, GSTK is the British National Anthem!  It’s not the English NA, or N Ireland’s, or Wales, or Scotland.  It doesn’t belong to any of them individually but two of them use it at some, not all sporting events.  Why are you having difficulty understanding this?  Do you not understand the difference between the UK, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?  Instead of clogging this thread with your ignorance feel free to pm me and I’ll try to explain in words of one or two syllables. 

Tell me, what National anthem do N Ireland use at the Commonwealth Games?  Also, do you think the catholics in their football squad are going to give a shiny shite if GSTK is booed?!  

I fear that ‘words of one or two syllables’ may confuse the chap.  

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I fear that ‘words of one or two syllables’ may confuse the chap.  

I suspect he was completely confused well before that sentence. 

JDK2020
52 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Not only are you patronising, you are arrogant, argumentative and pretty stupid.

....and, most annoyingly for you, I am 100% correct. 👍

G'night!

CaptainShanks

In the Northern Ireland game we looked like we had a squad of players who are not used to having to break down a low block. 

We have a great squad of players and I am confident we will show it at the Euros.

JDK2020

GSTK is the anthem of the UK comprising all 4 constituent parts. 

You can jump through hoops, you can howl at the moon forever and a day, but that is a fact. 

But my original point is that the TA booed the NI anthem midweek, another fact. You and your buddy chose to go down a rabbit hole of what is who's anthem.

Anyhoo, you and Morgan can whine about if for the rest of the evening and over the next few days for all I care.

G'night!  😀

JDK2020
1 minute ago, CaptainShanks said:

In the Northern Ireland game we looked like we had a squad of players who are not used to having to break down a low block. 

We have a great squad of players and I am confident we will show it at the Euros.

Michael O'Neill is correct, Scotland could do better against the stronger fancied teams than against the likes of those set-up like NI.

Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

GSTK is the anthem of the UK comprising all 4 constituent parts. 

You can jump through hoops, you can howl at the moon forever and a day, but that is a fact. 

But my original point is that the TA booed the NI anthem midweek, another fact. You and your buddy chose to go down a rabbit hole of what is who's anthem.

Anyhoo, you and Morgan can whine about if for the rest of the evening and over the next few days for all I care.

G'night!  😀

Both sets of support booed the anthems.  Scotland presumably because they aren't keen of the royal family and it's the anthem of our sporting rivals.  NI presumably because their end was fully of huns. 

CaptainShanks
3 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

Michael O'Neill is correct, Scotland could do better against the stronger fancied teams than against the likes of those set-up like NI.

Time will tell.

Bang on. I think we will do well against Hungary and Switzerland but will lose the opening game. I expect us to get through the group stage but after that it very much depends on the draw. 

Fozzyonthefence
17 minutes ago, JDK2020 said:

GSTK is the anthem of the UK

Ah we got there in the end, well done!

CaptainShanks

We got 1.5 for Hickey but Rangers got 16 for Patterson but Hickey is head and shoulders above Patterson in every aspect of the game. Hickey was a motm in a Scottish Cup Final in one of his irs games for us but Patterson couldn't get near the Rangers side. Patterson is the Atkinson of the Scotland team. It's mad how value in football is dictated by the team you play for rather than the ability of the player. 

21 minutes ago, CaptainShanks said:

We got 1.5 for Hickey but Rangers got 16 for Patterson but Hickey is head and shoulders above Patterson in every aspect of the game. Hickey was a motm in a Scottish Cup Final in one of his irs games for us but Patterson couldn't get near the Rangers side. Patterson is the Atkinson of the Scotland team. It's mad how value in football is dictated by the team you play for rather than the ability of the player. 

Or the team interested it the player? 

5 hours ago, CaptainShanks said:

It's mad how value in football is dictated by the team you play for rather than the ability of the player. 

There's maybe a degree of that, but you've also got to remember that Hickey was entering the final year of his contract and we'd just been sent to the second tier, at the start of a pandemic. We weren't exactly in a strong negotiating position. You also factor in that, despite having played a similar amount of club games as Hickey, Patterson was already a full international when Everton came in for him (as well has having a couple of years left on his contract). I don't doubt that the Rangers > Hearts aspect player some part in it, but the same would probably apply in our favour if we compared us to a Livingston or St Johnstone (in terms of Hearts potentially negotiating a higher fee than those clubs).

Cruickie's Moustache

For info - NI apparently use Londonderry Air (Danny Boy if lyrics added) at the Commonwealth Games.

Fozzyonthefence
3 hours ago, Laurie said:

There's maybe a degree of that, but you've also got to remember that Hickey was entering the final year of his contract and we'd just been sent to the second tier, at the start of a pandemic. We weren't exactly in a strong negotiating position. You also factor in that, despite having played a similar amount of club games as Hickey, Patterson was already a full international when Everton came in for him (as well has having a couple of years left on his contract). I don't doubt that the Rangers > Hearts aspect player some part in it, but the same would probably apply in our favour if we compared us to a Livingston or St Johnstone (in terms of Hearts potentially negotiating a higher fee than those clubs).

Patterson had barely played for the Rangers first team.  Iirc just the odd cup game but Tavernier played all the league games.  Hickey had much more first team experience.  As you say there were other factors but overall we wuz robbed and Rangers won a watch.  They must still be laughing about it now!

JDK2020
11 hours ago, CaptainShanks said:

Bang on. I think we will do well against Hungary and Switzerland but will lose the opening game. I expect us to get through the group stage but after that it very much depends on the draw. 

Maybe, just maybe, if your namesake is playing up front. 👍