Saint George is cross……oh me

Angel eyes

boag1874
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

the germans are in uproar as well regarding their kits and it also includes nike. every german kit has been made by adidas but from 2027 they will be made by nike. it is being said it is unpatriotic etc moving from a german manufacturer to an american one

The thought of Germany not playing in an Adidas kit just doesn’t feel right 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• colinmaroon

• boag1874

• Gundermann

Francis Albert

Best comment I have seen on this is in of all places the Daily Telegraph. I would have expected outrage on the Farage etc scale. 

But 

"Too, too cross-making

England beat Aberaijan 5-1 in the Under-21s yesteraday, with Harvey Elliott scoring twice.Perhqps Baku felt cholly , for his collar was turned up, hiding the cross on the new England kit. (Azerbaian's badge bears a little crescent). Those angry at the cross not being red, as on England's  flag, should also condemmn the bad habit of supporters' St George's flags being overprinted with "England".  It is a crime against vexillology. And this week's 130-page Football Governance Bill talks, surely mistakenly of "club crests". Crests are heraldic devices borne on top of helms (seldom worn on the football field). Everyone seems to be talking at cross purpses"

Good to discover a new word and correct definition of a familliar one.

dannymack
23 hours ago, Alex MacDonald said:

For decades they assumed the Union Jack was the English flag, thousands still do. Look at the footage of Wembley in 1966, how many St George’s Crosses are there? The vast majority are Union Jacks. For the Admiral England kits of the late 70’s and early 80’s, they’re white, blue and red, to tie in with the colours of the UJ.

England introduced red into their kits in the late 1940s and continued to do so throughout the 1950s and onwards. 

The Gorgie

Personally couldn't give a shit, don't care much for international football. I don't know or understand the reason for the change but from what ive seen on social media, those that love it are the type of people that think men can be women & women can be men. Those that hate it are right wing racists. Surely there is some middle ground?

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, The Gorgie said:

Personally couldn't give a shit, don't care much for international football. I don't know or understand the reason for the change but from what ive seen on social media, those that love it are the type of people that think men can be women & women can be men. Those that hate it are right wing racists. Surely there is some middle ground?

Nah, gotta pick a side and get REALLY angry about something that effects about 0.2% of the population and will not effect your life in any meaningful or tangible way.

colinmaroon
6 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Examples please?

And being arrested while flying one of your flags there while also throwing nazi salutes, intimidating Muslims or beating up gay people doesn't count. 

So evey white person that happens to fly his countries flag comes under your f****** abomination of a post.

The problem isn't the flag fliers, it's the knee-jerk arseholes who condemn everyone because there are a few idiots that do the same.

I P Knightley
8 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

This is the bit where I am lost.

Why have Nike decided to put some stupid looking meaningless logo in it's place?

The FA signed it off. If they didn't want it, they'd have said no to it. Their president must hate England; often seen wearing the red of Wales, so I understand.

They've used crosses with the proportions of the St George flag loads of times with different colours and no one thought to weep over it. 

Good old social media.

colinmaroon
9 hours ago, boag1874 said:

WHIT :rofl:

Show an example of someone being arrested for waving a national flag?

9 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Do you, aye? :rofl:

7 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Examples please?

And being arrested while flying one of your flags there while also throwing nazi salutes, intimidating Muslims or beating up gay people doesn't count. 

PS To Gundermann: One of "my " flags?  What a judgemental cretinous knee-jerk comment.  My flag is the St Andrews Cross, so stick your bigotry where the sun don't shine.  You try to .ake a reasoned post and the rats come out from the intellectual darkness of there ideological stones.

https://gbr01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMz1fwd-lXn8%26si%3DuT_fA-nyeCf6No7O&data=05|02||603cf99cefbc45e5348f08dc4b669675|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|638468151193956823|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D|0|||&sdata=roRhsqndgXstqWcvuKUnturrE%2BOzFoCg65dTqRE5RwM%3D&reserved=0

boag1874
13 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

PS To Gundermann: One of "my " flags?  What a judgemental cretinous knee-jerk comment.  My flag is the St Andrews Cross, so stick your bigotry where the sun don't shine.  You try to .ake a reasoned post and the rats come out from the intellectual darkness of there ideological stones.

https://gbr01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMz1fwd-lXn8%26si%3DuT_fA-nyeCf6No7O&data=05|02||603cf99cefbc45e5348f08dc4b669675|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|638468151193956823|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D|0|||&sdata=roRhsqndgXstqWcvuKUnturrE%2BOzFoCg65dTqRE5RwM%3D&reserved=0

Ok so, absolutely 0 evidence that he’s been arrested for waving the national flag and not for causing bother then? Gotcha

jr ewing

Where does the gold colour come from on the scarves and the commemorative flag? Looks like Motherwell colours 😍

1 hour ago, colinmaroon said:

Go on a rant after getting pulled up for talking shite😀😀.

Sooperstar

😂 ****in hell Colin! 

Hmfc1965

Do you really think your everybody arrested post was reasoned?

What was he arrested for ? Are you sure it was for waving a flag 

Sooperstar
20 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What was he arrested for ? Are you sure it was for waving a flag 

Didn't even wave it. Just had it on his person. Definitely did not try to cause bother by antagonising the group of Pro-Palestine protestors. Innocent mate. 

Just now, Sooperstar said:

Didn't even wave it. Just had it on his person. Definitely did not try to cause bother by antagonising the group of Pro-Palestine protestors. Innocent mate. 

Thatchers Britain 

IMG_6520.jpeg

England beat at football.

Tiny wee embroidered flag on the back of the shirt collar to blame.

:gok:

vegas-voss
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Back to worrying about the team now. 

Watched a discussion about them earlier best forwards and attacking central midfielders in the world.Every team should fear them only concern who partners Stones.

England nil 😂

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, Cade said:

Weighed them down 😆

44 minutes ago, Cade said:

We all have them to bear

periodictabledancer
51 minutes ago, Cade said:

This guy....

the posh bit

Great to see they got pumped at home wearing their purple flags. 

ABE 

Malinga the Swinga

I believe Southgate has terrible record against top ten teams, 25% win rate, for England. Hope he stays long term. Can't understand why Man United would be looking at him as next manager

HopeDiouf
13 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Not very shocked to see you falling for wild conspiracy theories.

Gundermann
14 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

So evey white person that happens to fly his countries flag comes under your f****** abomination of a post.

The problem isn't the flag fliers, it's the knee-jerk arseholes who condemn everyone because there are a few idiots that do the same.

That's some non-seqitur. 

You found any examples of arrests for flying those flags yet? 

the posh bit
11 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I believe Southgate has terrible record against top ten teams, 25% win rate, for England. 

Screenshot_20240324_102202.jpg

Gundermann
54 minutes ago, Ski Nae said:

IMG-20240324-WA0001.jpg

Hehe! Beat me to it.

Win, win.

e587b39abc426167.jpg.7c565da2190a0afbf96ca48ea32c8614.jpg

ToadKiller Dog

A big banner planned about the issue at ibrox next weekend I hear .

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Very appropriate. 🤣

1 minute ago, ToadKiller Dog said:

Hope so always good viewing when they make complete arseholes of themselves 

John Findlay

St George's country of birth.

Then surely it's this flag.

Screenshot_20240324-131527~2.png

Screenshot_20240324-131452~2.png

2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Interesting . Puts a whole new slant on when they sing that song about how they would rather be a Pakistani ( abbrev ) than a Turk , while decked out in shan wee plastic bowler hats with the main mans cross on them :lol: 

A_A wehatethehibs
27 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It was Greek at that time, meaning Englands new flag should actually be the St Andrews cross 

Anyway back on topic . I like the progressive move away from the traditional with the wee flag . Would have maybe painted them in a different light to the almost global image of their travelling supporters being a bunch of violent bigoted morons , but unfortunately the reaction has put the kybosh on that . Never mind , it probably would not have changed most peoples views of them anyway 

ABE :) 

SectionDJambo

In my opinion, it wouldn't do any harm to stop playing national anthems before, or after, a football match, or any other sporting event. 

Too much nationalism in sport, flags on football strips are an probably an unnecessary addition. They already have the crests of the football associations on them. Not worth getting worked up about.

I'm particularly mystified as to why they have the national anthems of both the winning driver and country of origin of the winning car in Formula 1. Many of the car manufacturers don't operate their Formula 1 teams from the country from which the car is branded either. Mind you, it used to always amuse me to hear the British and German anthems being played when Hamilton was winning regularly. Goodness knows how some English fans coped.

JDK2020
On 22/03/2024 at 17:21, Pasquale for King said:

Hilarious, they also struggle to tell the difference between their two flags and both political parties have changed the colours over the years. 
What a trivial thing to get worked up about but tells you everything you need to know about them. 

Trivial?

Have you seen our dressing room floor thread yet? 

JG_1874

Could you imagine if the St Andrews Cross was changed on the Scotland Top!!! 

The clans would be burning Westminster down claiming it was their fault!! 

Whatever the intentions of the FA & Nike where it’s not going down well with the fans, however let’s see if the sell out or just take up shelf space! 

meanwhile the folk calling England Fans as snowflakes are the same on the Rangers Logo challenge giving it all sorts ! 

a lot more going on in the world than a flag or logo ffs 

westbow
21 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

In my opinion, it wouldn't do any harm to stop playing national anthems before, or after, a football match, or any other sporting event. 

Too much nationalism in sport, flags on football strips are an probably an unnecessary addition. They already have the crests of the football associations on them. Not worth getting worked up about.

I'm particularly mystified as to why they have the national anthems of both the winning driver and country of origin of the winning car in Formula 1. Many of the car manufacturers don't operate their Formula 1 teams from the country from which the car is branded either. Mind you, it used to always amuse me to hear the British and German anthems being played when Hamilton was winning regularly. Goodness knows how some English fans coped.

The nationalism only becomes a problem when certain types of individual attach themselves to it. Never seems to kick off with spectators at the olympics with counties that despise each other (guaranteed someone is frantically searching examples to contrary).

You see a lot of flags in town hanging from peoples windows.  Usually been there a while, a bit ragged and manky looking. Strange way of professing their love for a country or cause. My favourite though is grown adults tying a flag round their neck and wearing it like a cape, I mean, do they check the mirror when leaving the house saying "looking gooood" and maybe doing the finger gun thing? 

In conclusion, anyone getting worked up about flags should maybe clean the window panes once in a while- they look gross. Same goes for stickers in cars.

OmiyaHearts

German fans meltdown over Nike, England fans meltdown over a cross and even our own board releasing a statement over a sticker / cloth.

The football World is infested by fragile minds.

3 hours ago, JG_1874 said:

Could you imagine if the St Andrews Cross was changed on the Scotland Top!!! 

The clans would be burning Westminster down claiming it was their fault!! 

Whatever the intentions of the FA & Nike where it’s not going down well with the fans, however let’s see if the sell out or just take up shelf space! 

meanwhile the folk calling England Fans as snowflakes are the same on the Rangers Logo challenge giving it all sorts ! 

a lot more going on in the world than a flag or logo ffs 

Nobody gave a flying **** when Diadora changed the Scotland flag on our strip a few years ago . What are you talking about ? Nobody would care :lol: 

dannymack
On 23/03/2024 at 15:38, boag1874 said:

The thought of Germany not playing in an Adidas kit just doesn’t feel right 

A bit like Austria and Puma

dannymack

DEARY ****ING ME !!! 🤣🤣🤣

This lot are absolutely bonkers !!!! 

Certified " not right in the heed " 

Hope Isreal bring out a maroon and white Star of Davie kit for next season. Screenshot_20240325_141305_eBay.thumb.jpg.3bc29ab033b1a1377e73617bad872f99.jpg

Screenshot_20240325_141335_Chrome.thumb.jpg.44c8f023fb7c724b5198b571d0cdb79d.jpg

Screenshot_11__94879.thumb.jpg.e6494b66ad94c1a2e1a8441db89693db.jpg

2704__73361.thumb.jpg.ab7257161dd93ae07b3bf417f13a930b.jpg

celtic-palestine-jersey-2338-1-p.thumb.jpg.1a4c8cd67a984c48c2e407d358b4136a.jpg

12 minutes ago, dannymack said:

DEARY ****ING ME !!! 🤣🤣🤣

Hope Isreal bring out a maroon and white Star of Davie kit for next season. Screenshot_20240325_141305_eBay.thumb.jpg.3bc29ab033b1a1377e73617bad872f99.jpg

Screenshot_20240325_141335_Chrome.thumb.jpg.44c8f023fb7c724b5198b571d0cdb79d.jpg

I feel very sorry for what has happened to the Palestinian people with pretty much no say whatsoever in their fate . Their land just handed over from their colonial masters in the UK via the UN to USA backed Israel . Can you imagine being a normal Palestinian guy just trying your best to make bread for your family in a poor desert area ? Then all of a sudden the land that your family has scratched a living on going back millennia is suddenly tossed from one new owner to the next ? Awful

The utter garbage that some moron is making and selling to idiot Celtic fans in your post is akin to spivs in wartime 

I think it totally cheapens the desecration of human rights , genocide , and terrorist actions of those on Hamas and Israels side to produce and profit from garbage like this 

Sooperstar
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I feel very sorry for what has happened to the Palestinian people with pretty much no say whatsoever in their fate . Their land just handed over from their colonial masters in the UK via the UN to USA backed Israel . Can you imagine being a normal Palestinian guy just trying your best to make bread for your family in a poor desert area ? Then all of a sudden the land that your family has scratched a living on going back millennia is suddenly tossed from one new owner to the next ? Awful

The utter garbage that some moron is making and selling to idiot Celtic fans in your post is akin to spivs in wartime 

I think it totally cheapens the desecration of human rights , genocide , and terrorist actions of those on Hamas and Israels side to produce and profit from garbage like this 

Decent wee earner though. 

Jim_Duncan
3 hours ago, dannymack said:

DEARY ****ING ME !!! 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe all the plucky Irish freedom fighters in the GB will wear them when they’re over in Gaza fighting for the cause? 

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I was thinking of selling half and half Celtic/ISIS ones. You fancy getting in for 20%?

Colonel Kurtz
7 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I was thinking of selling half and half Celtic/ISIS ones. You fancy getting in for 20%?

They had a IRA/ETA ONE struggle banner in Spain tears ago

THen honestly couldnt grasp why the Guarda Civil knocked lumps out of them

THey also thought they would be well received in Barcelona despite thebrown shirts being blessed by the catholic as they sailed out of Galway

Despiite also what they believe the International Brigade were just that 

There used to be a monument to THeEDinburgh dead which was removed to make way for a Polish bear

• davemclaren locked this topic