Cammy Devlin

Walter Kidd

Batistuta87
9 hours ago, brawlad74 said:

I'm keeping Cammy. Need the likes of him in team/ squad. Agree midfield needs improved but for me it ain't Cammy's position. Fraser return to sender, and offload Grant and Denholm first. 

Why would you want to offload Denholm?? 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Chimp

• soonbe110

mscjambo

I'm a massive fan.

Zurich at home or Rosenborg are games he's shone. I think cammy has further development in his game. Believe SN will improve him

Drylaw Hearts
3 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Which is why I say he needs some international experience to gain that bit more composure.

He's brilliant at ball recovery. One of the best I've seen in my 30+ years supporting Hearts. He's also one of the most passionate players I've seen, and he clearly just loves being a footballer.

He's not fantastic on the ball but usually does just about enough. Sometimes he panics and doesn't quite make a decision quickly enough, hence the above. 

I think you’ve got things a little erse from elbow……

He’ll get the rewards of international football once his performances and game contributions improves……not the other way round.

He's a better footballer than some give him credit for. As others have said, in that Zurich game he was easily the best player on the park.

His energy, enthusiasm and general happy disposition doesn't grow on trees. Football is a team game and takes all kind of characters to be successful.

Edited by droid

Ricardo Quaresma
15 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

Is he out of contract in the summer?  I'd like to see us keep him, but know he polarises the support.

Wouldn't say he polarises the support in any normal sense, I don't think anyone wants him out the door, but some fans prefer other players, that's fine

Always stated that he needs to be 100% match fit though, or we don't see the best of him; he can do everything well when he's at this stage

jock _turd

If we had a few more players in the team willing to expend the energy and show the enthusiasm he does during a game we would be a lot better for it!

boag1874

I like Cammy a lot, what he lacks technically he makes up for in his 

workrate off the ball. He’s very useful against better sides and has had some class displays in Europe 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

I think you’ve got things a little erse from elbow……

He’ll get the rewards of international football once his performances and game contributions improves……not the other way round.

He's already an international - he was at the World Cup and has been in the Aussie squad. Once he gets some game time - and I'm talking 10 or so games - his overall game will improve and he will be a better player for it. Look at the improvement in Rowles after the World Cup alone. 

Batistuta87
1 hour ago, droid said:

He's a better footballer than some give him credit for. As others have said, in that Zurich game he was easily the best player on the park.

His energy, enthusiasm and general happy disposition doesn't grow on trees. Football is a team game and takes all kind of characters to be successful.

This. 

He's an excellent player to have in the team and I'd be starting him every week if it was up to me. His tenacity and aggression is something teams really hate - and paired with Beni, our ball recovery is absolutely outstanding.

Hearts1975
11 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Possibly ridiculous comment, but if we really wanted to move Sibbick out from CD the place I'd move him to isn't midfield or fullback or even winger, but rather striker. Not as a starter, mind, but if we want to make him a project over the summer, give him some work in training as a target man, see if he can learn to hold the ball up.

Its already been done to death, but if u look at his good attributes IE physicality, moving with the ball, passing, bit of pace etc, the DM position just springs to mind. Just don't know if it would work for him up top. Think his reading of the game may let him down but that's just my opinion. Can't say for sure. 

It's frustrating as it's just these momentary lapses in concentration that he has at the back. Sometimes he can play really well for 80 mins, and then bang, an error happens. I know that could be levelled at most players, but there is almost an expectation at times, that something will happen. It's also cross balls, and heading, and giving forward players, too much room, I think let him down at times. 

By his own admission, he wants and thinks of himself as a CB. That said, concentration, positioning and composure is so so important, and for that particular role. 

Debut 4
45 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Wouldn't say he polarises the support in any normal sense, I don't think anyone wants him out the door, but some fans prefer other players, that's fine

Always stated that he needs to be 100% match fit though, or we don't see the best of him; he can do everything well when he's at this stage

But some sections of the support seemed reluctant to give Cammy the time to recover after his injury like they did for Beni.

It’s all been said on this thread.  The basics for me are important and Cammy will never be a Paul Hartley. But he gives everything from a starting point you want to see in a player before you look at other aspects.  

Some get ahead of themselves a bit. We are hardly a team disappearing into the distance with quality that may leave some players behind. Devlin will be one of those players we turn to if we hit a sticky spot and need character.  

Drylaw Hearts
11 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He's already an international - he was at the World Cup and has been in the Aussie squad. Once he gets some game time - and I'm talking 10 or so games - his overall game will improve and he will be a better player for it. Look at the improvement in Rowles after the World Cup alone. 

He’s not going to get much game time….because he’s not of a good enough standard for that level.

Devlin has made 1 sub appearance and 1 start for the Australian top team in 2 years.

soonbe110
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

But some sections of the support seemed reluctant to give Cammy the time to recover after his injury like they did for Beni.

It’s all been said on this thread.  The basics for me are important and Cammy will never be a Paul Hartley. But he gives everything from a starting point you want to see in a player before you look at other aspects.  

Some get ahead of themselves a bit. We are hardly a team disappearing into the distance with quality that may leave some players behind. Devlin will be one of those players we turn to if we hit a sticky spot and need character.  

Regardless of what we all think of him he wasn’t getting starts before his injury so the manager clearly doesn’t see him as a first pick.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him on his way this summer if some club offers us a fee

Ricardo Quaresma
1 minute ago, Debut 4 said:

Well, I've always considered that the case

I felt that CD was left out a few months back because Beni and Nieuwenhof both needed the game time more; one for recovering from injury and the other to settle

Recently, we also heard that CD was doing extra in training to augment his style of play, but that still fits with the other 2 getting the lion's share of game time 👍

soonbe110
20 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hardly played for Oz, hasn’t been in their squad since WC, needs to earn a run of 10 games with us and hasn’t done anything to deserve that this season so far. Rowles form dipped seriously badly after the WC and only really improved  when he started playing with Kent this season. His form since Kent was injured has gone backwards again imo. 
Amazing how we can have such different views after watching the same games. 

brawlad74
4 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Because we're looking to improve midfield and I haven't seen anything from him that makes me want to keep him. 

soonbe110
Just now, brawlad74 said:

Because we're looking to improve midfield and I haven't seen anything from him that makes me want to keep him. 

I agree.  Denholm has had most game time of the young guys and just doesn’t do it for me. Rarely does it for the manager either given he rarely gets past 60 mins before being hooked.  Tait has looked a much better prospect even though he has only had a handful of ten minute cameos. Hard to judge based on 10 mins at end of game so he still has a lot to do to convince that he is part of our future as well. 

Batistuta87
4 minutes ago, brawlad74 said:

The lad is 20 years old. Seen plenty from him already that makes him worth keeping and developing. 

I do prefer Tait though.

Edited by Batistuta87

Ian Black 8

U need someone doin the dirty work and Cammy does that I agree there’s room for improvements in his all round game but he’s energetic.. works hard n gets about the pitch well .. him doin that should allow the more technical and better players to be more free 

brawlad74
5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

The lad is 20 years old. Seen plenty from him already that makes him worth keeping and developing. 

I do prefer Tait though.

Agree with you about Tait. 

I P Knightley
14 hours ago, Smithian said:

I am very forgiving of Devlin's limitations. Overly so, admittedly.

There was an interview where Naismith said they want Devlin to be a more productive box-to-box midfielder. I don't see why he cannot grow that part of his game. I think if Hearts found a forward thinking midfielder to pair with him, Devlin would be a perfectly acceptable starter for a squad shooting for third and to compete in Europe every year.

He is top of my list for captain if and when Shankland departs. Experienced in SPL, has credibility of international experience, fires up supporters, seems to be a good locker room presence, and I believe he has found his level at Hearts. Perfect for the armband.

I'm as big a fan of Cammy as anyone. He gets what it is to be a Jambo and he loves it here. He's great at noising up the oppo and rolls with the punches that he inevitably finds himself taking. He has all those qualities that you mention.

However, I wouldn't have thought of him as a captain. Whilst his energy should be infectious and his yappiness is admirable and he speaks very well in interviews, I think the captain should be someone who has a more level-headed demeanour on the pitch. 

Drylaw Hearts
20 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm as big a fan of Cammy as anyone. He gets what it is to be a Jambo and he loves it here. He's great at noising up the oppo and rolls with the punches that he inevitably finds himself taking. He has all those qualities that you mention.

However, I wouldn't have thought of him as a captain. Whilst his energy should be infectious and his yappiness is admirable and he speaks very well in interviews, I think the captain should be someone who has a more level-headed demeanour on the pitch. 

A captain should also be a player who is a certain starter.

Devlin won’t be that guy imo.

Ron Burgundy
10 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Is turning him into a CM, as is routinely suggested on here, any less ridiculous an idea?

He has pace in buckets, isn't bad with the ball at his feet, plenty of height to win headers in the box, and has shown a decent shooting touch when he has gotten close to the goal.

And he's as far away from our goal as possible. 

JDK2020
19 hours ago, been here before said:

Decent squad player and handy to bring on if you need someone booked.

It's his Wee Man Syndrome, and gets needless bookings because of it.

chrystaf
4 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

This. 

He's an excellent player to have in the team and I'd be starting him every week if it was up to me. His tenacity and aggression is something teams really hate - and paired with Beni, our ball recovery is absolutely outstanding.

Hear hear.  The only problem and it is a problem, is that he's targeted by refs.  Okay he goes in hard,that's part of his game, but he gets booked for tackles that would not normally result in a foul yet alone a card, if committed by others.  Sadly I think that has affected his game.

Love you Cammy.

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Its already been done to death, but if u look at his good attributes IE physicality, moving with the ball, passing, bit of pace etc, the DM position just springs to mind. Just don't know if it would work for him up top. Think his reading of the game may let him down but that's just my opinion. Can't say for sure. 

It's frustrating as it's just these momentary lapses in concentration that he has at the back. Sometimes he can play really well for 80 mins, and then bang, an error happens. I know that could be levelled at most players, but there is almost an expectation at times, that something will happen. It's also cross balls, and heading, and giving forward players, too much room, I think let him down at times. 

By his own admission, he wants and thinks of himself as a CB. That said, concentration, positioning and composure is so so important, and for that particular role. 

But his biggest negative is the mental switching off. At some level that's not something you can fix, and it would be every bit as disastrous in the DM position as at a CH. He'd be sitting on the ball looking for a pass up the field and a striker would sneak up behind him and nick the ball.

I thought he did okay at RB but at some point he'll get backed into the penalty box and not have his head on a swivel and we'll be right back at it. WB could work but I think you waste a lot of his best attributes with that.

But if we're stuck at 0-0 at 70' against a team that's sitting in, chuck him on and have him sit on the shoulder of the last man, chest down goal kicks and diagonals and hold it up, or just have a pop at goal (like he did on Saturday) if the ball drops to him in the box. I can see him doing well with that.

RustyRightPeg
16 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Possibly ridiculous comment, but if we really wanted to move Sibbick out from CD the place I'd move him to isn't midfield or fullback or even winger, but rather striker. Not as a starter, mind, but if we want to make him a project over the summer, give him some work in training as a target man, see if he can learn to hold the ball up.

I'd rather we just sold him and used the money on an ample replacement. He's had plenty of opportunities - too many dunderheid mistakes. 

Big John Colquhoun

Sell/move on in a heart beat. One of the most overrated players we’ve had in recent years, so limited. A big part of our inability to play the ball effectively through the centre of the pitch. He can take Atkinson with him as well.

gar jambo
13 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Correct mate grant won’t Impove and has been given multiple chances ! 2 penalties wow a big no from me ! 

BigAlim
8 hours ago, Ian Black 8 said:

U need someone doin the dirty work and Cammy does that I agree there’s room for improvements in his all round game but he’s energetic.. works hard n gets about the pitch well .. him doin that should allow the more technical and better players to be more free 

I agree that Cammy is good in this role but it seems to me as though Naisy wants him to play in a more dynamic way. He did manage one great wee ball over the top before being subbed against Morton but until that point it seemed as though he was in a more advanced position trying to thread the needle and for me he’s never going to be that player

Hearts1975
3 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

But his biggest negative is the mental switching off. At some level that's not something you can fix, and it would be every bit as disastrous in the DM position as at a CH. He'd be sitting on the ball looking for a pass up the field and a striker would sneak up behind him and nick the ball.

I thought he did okay at RB but at some point he'll get backed into the penalty box and not have his head on a swivel and we'll be right back at it. WB could work but I think you waste a lot of his best attributes with that.

But if we're stuck at 0-0 at 70' against a team that's sitting in, chuck him on and have him sit on the shoulder of the last man, chest down goal kicks and diagonals and hold it up, or just have a pop at goal (like he did on Saturday) if the ball drops to him in the box. I can see him doing well with that.

Fair enough. I'm just not sure with him winning so many balls but you have obviously thought about it. 

I'm actually coming round to thinking that he may be moved on in the summer. 

Got a feeling Naismith will be moving on a few, to make way for more players, and sibbick may be one of them. 

Thunder and Lightning
4 hours ago, chrystaf said:

Hear hear.  The only problem and it is a problem, is that he's targeted by refs.  Okay he goes in hard,that's part of his game, but he gets booked for tackles that would not normally result in a foul yet alone a card, if committed by others.  Sadly I think that has affected his game.

Love you Cammy.

He isn't picked on. That's just not true. 

He gets booked as he lacks timing and composure. 

His 'enthusiasm' is as much a hindrance and it is a positive. 

Watt-Zeefuik
1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

He isn't picked on. That's just not true. 

He gets booked as he lacks timing and composure. 

His 'enthusiasm' is as much a hindrance and it is a positive. 

He rarely got booked in his first two seasons here.

He's been booked more often this season and a lot of those have been rubbish. In league bookings he's tied with Vargas and Shankland, just one in front of Nieuwenhoff, Cochrane, and Atkinson, none of whom get labeled as constant booking threats.

Over his two years, Shankland is easily the most booked player on the roster and it's not close.

Thunder and Lightning
8 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

He's been booked more often this season and a lot of those have been rubbish. In league bookings he's tied with Vargas and Shankland, just one in front of Nieuwenhoff, Cochrane, and Atkinson, none of whom get labeled as constant booking threats.

Over his two years, Shankland is easily the most booked player on the roster and it's not close.

I never said he was a constant booking threat. He is however his own worst enemy. 

I wouldn't rely on him to do his job without a moment of madness and to get a booking. It's his playing style and that's his problem as well as his talent. 

Pete Elliott
23 hours ago, GinRummy said:

He’s an absolute grafter, full of energy and desire and will to win. When we’ve got a squad that doesn’t need that then he can leave, until then he stays. 

Has to be focused and targetted in the right way though. It’s a team game.

been here before
17 minutes ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Devlin 21/22 11 bookings in 29 games. 22/23 5 and 1 red in 41, 23/24 so far 11 in 23.

Shankland 22/23 9 bookings and 1 red in 47 games, 23/24 11 bookings in 39 games so far.

Games played, Devlin is far more likely to get booked.

GinRummy
16 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

Has to be focused and targetted in the right way though. It’s a team game.

It’s a fair point and reading between the lines I think Naismith would agree. What I will say is when guys like Denholm and Grant are given game time (and I do appreciate Grant in particular is a completely different player) I’d question the logic in leaving Cammy out. One thing he isn’t is anonymous. Never hides or gets lost in a game. 

Edited by GinRummy

It’s telling that fans of his list the exact same games he has played well and you can count them all on one hand - even the worst player in the world plays a blinder every now and then. Limited ability and we absolutely must be looking for much better if we wish to progress.

soonbe110
10 hours ago, droid said:

That Zurich game was coming up for 2 years ago and he hasn’t repeated  the performance since. 

GinRummy
Just now, Arfur said:

It’s telling that fans of his list the exact same games he has played well and you can count them all on one hand - even the worst player in the world plays a blinder every now and then. Limited ability and we absolutely must be looking for much better if we wish to progress.

So here’s our midfielders, Beni, Devlin, Grant, Fraser, Haring (likely leaving), Denholm, Nieuwenhof, Tait and Pollock.  Imo you’ve got Beni and Calem ahead of him as far as consistency goes. Shouldn’t we be questioning some of the others before even thinking about better than Cammy? We’ve got Fraser who’s done nothing, Grant who is way more inconsistent than Devlin, Tait, Pollock and Denholm who we’d all like to be good. So Calem and Beni (who’s out of contract this summer) ahead of him? Think we’ve got way bigger issues than Devlin’s obvious limitations. 

Pete Elliott
7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s a fair point and reading between the lines I think Naismith would agree. What I will say is when guys like Denholm and Grant are given game time (and I do appreciate Grant in particular is a completely different player) I’d question the logic in leaving Cammy out. One thing he isn’t is anonymous. Never hides or gets lost in a game. 

You always know he’s on the pitch that’s for sure. Love the wee man to bits but just need to make sure he’s an asset not a liability. Reading between the lines there have been times where it appears to us in the stand he’s doing a good job harrying and leading the press but it’s cost the team tactically and positionally as he's ended up out of poSition. He’s an intelligent young lad who can definitely improve that aspect of his game though. 

GinRummy
16 minutes ago, Pete Elliott said:

You always know he’s on the pitch that’s for sure. Love the wee man to bits but just need to make sure he’s an asset not a liability. Reading between the lines there have been times where it appears to us in the stand he’s doing a good job harrying and leading the press but it’s cost the team tactically and positionally as he's ended up out of poSition. He’s an intelligent young lad who can definitely improve that aspect of his game though. 

I think that’s accurate. Naismith clearly wants him to develop his game (which is limited). 

22 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That Zurich game was coming up for 2 years ago and he hasn’t repeated  the performance since. 

Except his motm performance against Rosenberg 7 months ago.

GinRummy
10 hours ago, jock _turd said:

If we had a few more players in the team willing to expend the energy and show the enthusiasm he does during a game we would be a lot better for it!

spot on. 

jock _turd
53 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

spot on. 

One of the reasons we struggle against, shall we say, lesser teams is they out work us... pure and simple. The best teams in the world work hard during a game I think we have too many who are coasting a little. Just my opinion though.

Watt-Zeefuik
1 hour ago, Pete Elliott said:

For the best, most coachable players, a season on the pitch trying to do the new thing he's asked to do followed by an offseason in which he can study what he needs to do should be enough to make a significant leap. I have little doubt he'll burn the midnight oil over the summer working on it, I just hope it comes good for him in the fall.

Batistuta87
11 hours ago, Ian Black 8 said:

Reminds me of you mate - gets fired in and takes no shite off anyone. You could ping a pass though 😎

Devlin is still young enough to learn, but he needs to have learned in his weeks off.

Yes he had loads of energy but he was expending that energy in the wrong areas. He was chasing lost causes leaving his fellow midfielders perplexed and isolated.

We need more than energy, we need better players on and off the ball, hopefully he has taken that on board in his weeks off.

It’s up to him from now on, but must improve overall game imo.

Edited by Gambo

Smithian
4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I don't disagree with this view point, nor the other posts responding to mine.

Devlin this year is not the player I think could wear the armband. But he is only 25 years old. I believe he can continue developing as a player and make sense for the role. I think Naismith and staff trying to get him more box to box speaks to them believing he has that ability to grow as a player.

And, again, I admit in my first post to being too forgiving on his short comings.

soonbe110
1 hour ago, droid said:

Except his motm performance against Rosenberg 7 months ago.

Ok, sorry, two performances in 19 months