Cammy Devlin

Walter Kidd

Walter Kidd

Is he out of contract in the summer?  I'd like to see us keep him, but know he polarises the support.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Chimp

• soonbe110

Batistuta87

Next year. 

Would love to get him on a long term deal and think he'll be a tremendous footballer once he's had a bit of international experience and gained a bit of composure.

been here before

Decent squad player and handy to bring on if you need someone booked.

Diadora Van Basten

I think he’s underrated his performances against Celtic when we lost 4-3 at Tynecastle and against Rosenberg at Tynecastle were as good a performance as I have seen in a hearts shirt.

gordon simpson

he brings much more to our team than just football player ,his enthusiasm, energy and determination  you can not fault 

a great asset .

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Hilarious. 

Drylaw Hearts
1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

Next year. 

Would love to get him on a long term deal and think he'll be a tremendous footballer once he's had a bit of international experience and gained a bit of composure.

He’s no better than ok tbh.

He doesn’t have a great range of passing and he’s a pretty limited football imo.

I suspect he’ll struggle to make the first IX next season if we make a couple of decent signings for the midfield.

Drylaw Hearts
48 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think he’s underrated his performances against Celtic when we lost 4-3 at Tynecastle and against Rosenberg at Tynecastle were as good a performance as I have seen in a hearts shirt.

Rosenberg has proven to be a one-off for Devlin.

He’s not been anywhere near that level of performance either previously or since that game.

GinRummy

He’s an absolute grafter, full of energy and desire and will to win. When we’ve got a squad that doesn’t need that then he can leave, until then he stays. 

henrysmithsgloves
28 minutes ago, gordon simpson said:

he brings much more to our team than just football player ,his enthusiasm, energy and determination  you can not fault 

a great asset .

Wee scrappy Doo ❤️

Luckies1874
5 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

He doesn’t have a great range of passing and he’s a pretty limited football imo.

I suspect he’ll struggle to make the first IX next season if we make a couple of decent signings for the midfield.

Yep.

Decent squad player for us and has contributed in certain games. No doubting his commitment and enthusiasm and seems like a popular guy amongst the squad. The reality is that if we want to be progress as a side and see better performances to go along with the decent results then we need far more quality than the likes of Devlin regularly starting in the midfield area. 

martoon

Isn't Naisy attempting to change his style of play into something more productive and consistent?

I'm sure I read that recently.

Deodato
1 hour ago, been here before said:

That pretty much says it all. 

Canscot
15 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

He will struggle to make the first lX. But should easily make the first XI😉

brawlad74

I'm keeping Cammy. Need the likes of him in team/ squad. Agree midfield needs improved but for me it ain't Cammy's position. Fraser return to sender, and offload Grant and Denholm first. 

been here before
49 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Hilarious. 

Hiya Cammy, hiya pal.

Dsjambo

Opinions vary but we could have done with him on Saturday, their midfield got far too much time on the ball to play passes, the first goal for instance.

Australis

Cammy has a great attitude and cares for the club, giving his all.

Wish we had many more with his get up and go.

Will be sorry if he moves on.

joondalupjambo

We cannot carry on keeping players and signing new ones.  Some we have to try and cash in on.  I think maybe offers, if they are good enough for Cammy and Barry will be accepted in the summer.  Love Cammy but football is a business and if we bring in better then selling has to be an option.

Edited by joondalupjambo

2 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

Is he out of contract in the summer?  I'd like to see us keep him, but know he polarises the support.

No he is not out of contract in the summer

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Hilarious. 

The boy is a genuine 18 carat dullard mate . His only reason for being on here is to troll other Hearts supporters . He just does not have a witty or funny cell in his body though 

Bunny Munro

I wouldn't be thinking about an extension until November time.

I like Cammy, he's had some fantastic games for us (Zurich, Rosenberg, Celtic are the obvious ones) but I'm also not convinced we can't find better. 

We're almost certainly losing Beni and Haring this summer. Hallidays already gone. We will need to bring at least one if not two CMs. We should be looking for better than Cammy.

Watt-Zeefuik

Love the guy but he's going to need to either take a step forward in terms of his attacking play or accept a bench role at Hearts. Otherwise, it's probably best for him if he moves on, which I'll be sad about but that's where we are.

He fit very well with what Neilson was doing with the midfield but Naismith wants more attacking intent from there.

If he goes he will go with my enthusiastic good will. A player who gets Hearts and seems to love playing for us. Haters GTF.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, martoon said:

Isn't Naisy attempting to change his style of play into something more productive and consistent?

I'm sure I read that recently.

He is. Looking for him to work further up the field. Still have his energy but working on his distribution and attacking runs.

I do think it will take time but if it works will be a great move for him. Think Naismith is trying to do the same with Denholm.

been here before
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

No he is not out of contract in the summer

Thanks for clearing that up hours after other folk had done so.

Got you a foothold on the thread though which is the main thing of course. Hit 20k yet?

JimmyCant
1 hour ago, Australis said:

Cammy has a great attitude and cares for the club, giving his all.

Wish we had many more with his get up and go.

Will be sorry if he moves on.

He’s a modern day Ian Black. Wholehearted. determined & solid. Like Black he’s produced a few great performances but ultimately a bit limited.

waterboy11

Definitely keep him. There’s games that he is ideal for and games that don’t suit him.

games where we are expected to have more of the ball he’s wasted.

games where it’s a bit more even or we are underdogs, his tenacity and energy are absolutely ideal in the middle of the park. Win the ball back and give it to one of the better footballers in the team 

Smithian

I am very forgiving of Devlin's limitations. Overly so, admittedly.

There was an interview where Naismith said they want Devlin to be a more productive box-to-box midfielder. I don't see why he cannot grow that part of his game. I think if Hearts found a forward thinking midfielder to pair with him, Devlin would be a perfectly acceptable starter for a squad shooting for third and to compete in Europe every year.

He is top of my list for captain if and when Shankland departs. Experienced in SPL, has credibility of international experience, fires up supporters, seems to be a good locker room presence, and I believe he has found his level at Hearts. Perfect for the armband.

4 hours ago, Walter Kidd said:

One of the few players not to have progressed under Naismith.

I think that will come from both him and age.

Keep him definitely.

Can only get better and is a good egg all round for the Hearts basket.

Cheesy but true.

1 minute ago, Smithian said:

There was an interview where Naismith said they want Devlin to be a more productive box-to-box midfielder. I don't see why he cannot grow that part of his game. I think if Hearts found a forward thinking midfielder to pair with him, Devlin would be a perfectly acceptable starter for a squad shooting for third and to compete in Europe every year.

He is top of my list for captain if and when Shankland departs. Experienced in SPL, has credibility of international experience, fires up supporters, seems to be a good locker room presence, and I believe he has found his level at Hearts. Perfect for the armband.

Aye mate definitely better than my egg in a basket but I feel ye buddy.

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, Smithian said:

A captain should be a certain starter. No way Devlin comes under that category and it's clear Naismith sees him a squad player now never mind with what we hope will be a positive summer window.

Should Shankland leave then Frankie Kent, in my opinion, is by far the most obvious longer term captain, currently on the books. 

Hearts1975
52 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He is. Looking for him to work further up the field. Still have his energy but working on his distribution and attacking runs.

I do think it will take time but if it works will be a great move for him. Think Naismith is trying to do the same with Denholm.

100% correct ...

When we look at the midfield, there are obvious gaps in skillset and especially when it comes to the DM's and the attacking/support side 

This is a good point though. Whilst there are deficiencies, especially in turning defence, into attack, the manager is trying to coach that side of the game into some of our current players 

Must be great from a players perspective - rather than the player being told that he isnt good enough, and being moved on, the manager works with him, and to make him the player that he wants to see

A point not lost on Cammy D by all accounts. 

4 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

A captain should be a certain starter. No way Devlin comes under that category and it's clear Naismith sees him a squad player now never mind with what we hope will be a positive summer window.

Should Shankland leave then Frankie Kent, in my opinion, is by far the most obvious longer term captain, currently on the books. 

Perhaps captain is a stretch .

But certainly he should be kept 100%.

Devlins actually a very good player in the making and imo with the right coaching can make a midfield tick .

4 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

100% correct ...

When we look at the midfield, there are obvious gaps in skillset and especially when it comes to the DM's and the attacking/support side 

This is a good point though. Whilst there are deficiencies, especially in turning defence, into attack, the manager is trying to coach that side of the game into some of our current players 

Must be great from a players perspective - rather than the player being told that he isnt good enough, and being moved on, the manager works with him, and to make him the player that he wants to see

A point not lost on Cammy D by all accounts. 

If that's true what you post about Devlin and the coaching it's good news to hear.

I feel the same about Sibbick.

I'm not in the know at all but he just seems like a good guy to have in the team.

And again worth keeping.

I think both have done the hard bit at the club and could really pay their way and then some.

But I've slagged the pair eh them oaf so what da ....

Daeaken

🤣🤣

Hearts1975
8 minutes ago, Ked said:

If that's true what you post about Devlin and the coaching it's good news to hear.

I feel the same about Sibbick.

I'm not in the know at all but he just seems like a good guy to have in the team.

And again worth keeping.

I think both have done the hard bit at the club and could really pay their way and then some.

But I've slagged the pair eh them oaf so what da ....

Daeaken

🤣🤣

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cammy-devlin-reveals-secret-role-32361775

I like Toby, but just not as a CD, unfortunately. No doubt he will be a good guy and behind the scenes. That said, if he is being coached properly he can get better ........

I think there is a lot of individual coaching/plans/feedback on the go at the moment.

Refreshing, in that this could lead to players gaining required skills in their current positions, which is being highlighted in some of the matches. Toby being a prime example.

All to easy for managers to write players off, and show them the door. I wouldnt like to lose players with potential, and because the coach/manager doesnt know how to get the best out of them 

Its the right way to do things imo - Naisys approach - shows him taking responsibility, rather than the easy option. :)

3 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cammy-devlin-reveals-secret-role-32361775

I like Toby, but just not as a CD, unfortunately. No doubt he will be a good guy and behind the scenes. That said, if he is being coached properly he can get better ........

I think there is a lot of individual coaching/plans/feedback on the go at the moment.

Refreshing, in that this could lead to players gaining required skills in their current positions, which is being highlighted in some of the matches. Toby being a prime example.

All to easy for managers to write players off, and show them the door. I wouldnt like to lose players with potential, and because the coach/manager doesnt know how to get the best out of them 

Its the right way to do things imo - Naisys approach - shows him taking responsibility, rather than the easy option. :)

He's a good player well worth keeping.

And guarenteed to upset and bring joy.

Mate a couple of goals v hibs like that last one.

The joy on his wee Jambo puss

😍

I'm hopeful for Naismith just being cautious .

But it certainly seems like he knows what he's doing.

Edited by Ked

Watt-Zeefuik
7 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Possibly ridiculous comment, but if we really wanted to move Sibbick out from CD the place I'd move him to isn't midfield or fullback or even winger, but rather striker. Not as a starter, mind, but if we want to make him a project over the summer, give him some work in training as a target man, see if he can learn to hold the ball up.

martoon
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Credit to Stevie for introducing the younger lads, in the right way, and for looking to improve others.

It's nice to have, at last, a head coach I can believe in. 

I suspect most of us do, despite the odd bump on the road.

Like any player in the history of football, he needs a decent run of games to hit top form. He’s not had that in a long time. A fully fit and consistent Cammy Devlin is a big asset to the squad. In his first season I’m sure he was breaking records with the amount of tackles, blocks, recoveries etc. would love to see that Devlin back. 

gregzy2k7

I like him, might not be a first team starter every week, capable of being though and even if not he is a very good player to have in the squad, with europe likely to be coming up next season, we will need 2 good players for every position and then some back ups too. 

Glad we extended his contract.

3 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Like any player in the history of football, he needs a decent run of games to hit top form. He’s not had that in a long time. A fully fit and consistent Cammy Devlin is a big asset to the squad. In his first season I’m sure he was breaking records with the amount of tackles, blocks, recoveries etc. would love to see that Devlin back. 

Good part of his game no doubt.

But he's got plenty room to improve and we fit for him I think.

I've never been on the total Devlin hype train but he's an absolute grafter, works his socks of for the team. Seems a great guy. I'd absolutely be keeping him as long as he'll stay.

He's not a starter week in, week out... particularly as we still flit between systems but he's a great option in the squad. There's many lesser players than him still about, a few getting regular game time too bizarrely.

5 hours ago, been here before said:

Exactly 

2 hours ago, Watt-Zeefuik said:

Possibly ridiculous comment, but if we really wanted to move Sibbick out from CD the place I'd move him to isn't midfield or fullback or even winger, but rather striker. Not as a starter, mind, but if we want to make him a project over the summer, give him some work in training as a target man, see if he can learn to hold the ball up.

:cornette:

Watt-Zeefuik
14 minutes ago, Carter said:

:cornette:

Is turning him into a CM, as is routinely suggested on here, any less ridiculous an idea?

He has pace in buckets, isn't bad with the ball at his feet, plenty of height to win headers in the box, and has shown a decent shooting touch when he has gotten close to the goal.

innerjambo

Not been the same since his injury.  Needs to work very hard, or he will be singled out more often. He has the work rate, when he can be bothered, but that's few, and far between. 

Batistuta87
10 hours ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Which is why I say he needs some international experience to gain that bit more composure.

He's brilliant at ball recovery. One of the best I've seen in my 30+ years supporting Hearts. He's also one of the most passionate players I've seen, and he clearly just loves being a footballer.

He's not fantastic on the ball but usually does just about enough. Sometimes he panics and doesn't quite make a decision quickly enough, hence the above.