Cammy Devlin

Walter Kidd

feedthefox

I get all the desire, passion and effort bit but honestly we're not progressing if we think Devlin is a starting 11 player.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Chimp

• soonbe110

jr ewing
Just now, feedthefox said:

I get all the desire, passion and effort bit but honestly we're not progressing if we think Devlin is a starting 11 player.

Not next season. 

Parttimer1874
6 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Did alright today. Would've kept him on a bit longer.

The ref wouldn’t have. 

Parttimer1874
5 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

This. He’ll do fine in League Two down south. 

Gordons left glove
31 minutes ago, Diehardjambo1 said:

The lads a player, don’t understand the pelters he gets when the same people slating him were full of praise when he was turning in some incredible displays after signing. Linked with a lot of big teams during those displays and has had a few injuries of late. A fully fit and regular playing  Devlin is a big asset. 

What big teams just out of curiosity 

jimbojambo

I thought Cammy was our best player today but some people have made up their mind about him. Just a poor team performance today but supplemented by the new signings we'll do well again next season. 

Edited by jimbojambo

loveofthegame

We lost out after he went off. Folk blaming devlin for today 🤦🏼‍♂️

Skacelsid

Devlin and Beni put their Hearts into it. Yes they will have faults but they play for the jersey. Grant on the hand playing a vital role strode about like he was some kind of superstar and basically hiding. Oh yes but willing to step forward and take corners.Wow. Get him out the door.

Jsmith21

He isn’t good enough and it’s obvious Naismith feels the same, wouldn’t ever start today if the Hoff was fit and while tait stunk the place out he is young and will be the better option going forward 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, jimbojambo said:

I thought Cammy was our best player today but some people have made up their mind about him. Just a poor team performance today but supplemented by the new signings we'll do well again next season. 

it’s very annoying.  In fact, totally weird .  Lad had a good game and has improved a lot. 

Luckies1874

The very definition of mediocre. 

Great lad with a super attitude but an incredibly limited footballer. Could get away with it whilst benefitting from the attributes he does bring if we had more talent around about him but we don't.

Jsmith21
17 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

it’s very annoying.  In fact, totally weird .  Lad had a good game and has improved a lot. 

He literally can’t pass the ball 

1 hour ago, feedthefox said:

100% player but offers nothing going forward 

We need better midfielders and have signed 2

Anti VAR Association

I thought he did ok. I was concerned he would see red but that’s his game I guess. Him and Beni did ok. 

It was the final ball that killed us and the first goal. 

I thought him and Beni both had decent games.  We had nothing wide apart from an early run by Forrest.  Final third/set up was the main issue for me.  And the subs were (mostly) poor.  Unless he was injured, I found the Atkinson sub odd. 

37 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Great lad with a super attitude but an incredibly limited footballer. Could get away with it whilst benefitting from the attributes he does bring if we had more talent around about him but we don't.

He's absolutely nowhere near the level required. Wouldn't be surprised if he is moved on. 

Heard today from what I'd consider a well connected individual to St Johnstone that we've definitely done a deal for Phillips. 

After The Watershed
32 minutes ago, Jsmith21 said:

This is the biggest myth going.

His passing accuracy is higher than Nieuwenhof.

Devlin has played more forward passes than Beni and Nieuwenhof this season, with a higher accuracy as well.

He has also played the highest number of progressive passes per 90mins than them. That's passes that actually move the team forward.

Jsmith21
25 minutes ago, After The Watershed said:

Devlin has played more forward passes than Beni and Nieuwenhof this season, with a higher accuracy as well.

He has also played the highest number of progressive passes per 90mins than them. That's passes that actually move the team forward.

Source? 

31 minutes ago, After The Watershed said:

When he first came to the club his passing was criminal and he'd get a nose bleed every time he got into the final 3rd. 

Since then, he's improved massively and I think Naismith has been pushing him to develop his all round game so he's not a one dimensional ball winner (and nothing else). His range of passing has absolutely improved. 

I'd like to see Cammy get a contract extension, especially as we'll be likely losing Beni. 

Thumperbeni

As I’ve said time and time again he is not very good with the ball at his feet, he will hold us back, we need to improve and he is not what’s required as a central midfielder for heart of Midlothian. 

jambo1975

Maybe it's just my old school mentality but I'd take a wee nippy sweetie nipping at folks ankles like Devlin over a bambi on ice type like Beni every time. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

Devlin and Beni put their Hearts into it. Yes they will have faults but they play for the jersey. Grant on the hand playing a vital role strode about like he was some kind of superstar and basically hiding. Oh yes but willing to step forward and take corners.Wow. Get him out the door.

Agree about Grant but no way does Beni play for the jersey, hes been jumping out of tackles all season, and will be away soon..

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, jambo1975 said:

Maybe it's just my old school mentality but I'd take a wee nippy sweetie nipping at folks ankles like Devlin over a bambi on ice type like Beni every time. 

Spot on, we play in a league that requires that type of player. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, After The Watershed said:

Spot on

HeartsandonlyHearts
4 hours ago, feedthefox said:

If only we had a few more players with half of his desire, passion and effort.

And oh how we laughed.

HeartsandonlyHearts
1 hour ago, Thumperbeni said:

As I’ve said time and time again he is not very good with the ball at his feet, he will hold us back, we need to improve and he is not what’s required as a central midfielder for heart of Midlothian. 

Who or what is a Heart of Midlothian (capital H) central midfielder?

Debut 4
6 hours ago, Thumperbeni said:

How is he holding Hearts back if the rest of his midfield team mates can’t play better than him or give as much grit and desire?

It’s under appreciated these days the type of role/style he plays. Everyone thinks you are going to have 10 Rolls Royce’s in every outfield

position.

At least twice yesterday his ability to close down and nick the ball squirted possession into a dangerous area for us to counter. 

Maybe with more technical players around him like Dhanda and Spittal will see a much better combination and more

effective midfield that properly influences the game?  Also with the Hoff to come back who’s more all rounded. You need options. 

I’m not his greatest fan but of all the players to criticise from yesterday he would be way down the list. 

77Mackay77
8 hours ago, After The Watershed said:

No idea of your source but I would agree just from observation. He was our best player today as it happens, always gives 100% and actually uses the ball well. It’s as if because he gets stuck in people can’t see past that as being his only attribute. 

spacerjoe
9 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

This was the main issue today. Devlin helped get the ball forward to the ones that should be picking a final pass or scoring but they all failed. Grant, Vargas, Forrest and Shankland were awful in the final third.

Shanks had an off day, Vargas will hopefully keep improving, but Grant and Forrest need to go.

Today showed again how important Hoff has become. Our form since he's been out has been poor.

6 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

This was the main issue today. Devlin helped get the ball forward to the ones that should be picking a final pass or scoring but they all failed. Grant, Vargas, Forrest and Shankland were awful in the final third.

Shanks had an off day, Vargas will hopefully keep improving, but Grant and Forrest need to go.

Today showed again how important Hoff has become. Our form since he's been out has been poor.

Completely agree especially with your last sentence. Vargas is a young kid who will learn from the experience but our more experienced players let us down. 

TheBigO
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If his more skilled teammates had as much heart and effort as he does then we would be much better off, especially his partner today. 
A team needs balance and whoever plays next to him needs to dictate the play, once he has won the ball back for him. Hopefully he and the Hoff will combine well and whoever else we sign as we are a bit light in there really. 

Ths is the point.  Anyone saying we won't progress with Cammy in our team is missing it entirely.  Apart from anything he's a MUCH better footballer than credited.

He was our best player yesterday and by some distance imo.  He was the one trying to set the tempo, but also held his position much better - was very disciplined.  Not throwing shade on Naisy, he's got vastly more right than wrong, but the game changed when Cam came off.  Up until then, goal notwithstanding, it was 50/50.  Cam came off and they started just waltzing through us, we lost our bite and our shape.  Tait will learn, no issues there, the kid's a player, but for me it was the wrong move.  If Cam HAD to come off for some reason, then it had to be Cochrane imo.

You'll note a pattern with Cam that he turns up on big occasions.  He was great yesterday, he's had big European games for us too.  The boy deserves way more respect from our support.

(as does Beni btw - everyone around me was screaming at him all game calling him lazy - ridiculous)

Everyone throwing toys out the pram blaming every player they can cos Rangers beat us.  We more or less matched them in every department other than finishing and that includes Mr Shanks on this occasion.  Kingsley slipped up for first goal, Tait for the second.  The defending after these slips, OK you can pull apart but at the end of the day, they were well finished really.  Seen someone blame Nat for the first!!! He went in to block and the guy dummied.  I mean, wtf!

Sorry, off topic, but I'm not replying on all the hissy threads!

TexasAndy

We lost the game in midfield but FFS it would have been 10 times worse without Devlin buzzing about.  Beni just needs too much time on the ball.  

Hashimoto

Headless chicken.....Move on (Take his pals Beni & Grant  with him)

PapaShango

For all the players to single out from yesterday Devlin should be way down the pecking order. Thought he was decent all round. Biggest issue with the midfield was Grant being absolutely invisible. Can’t put a performance in like he did and expect to beat them. 

buzzbomb1958

Devlin is a liability, he doesn’t think before steaming into a tackle leaving himself wide open to bookings , if you want to be an enforcer of sorts you have to be sneaky and have guile , he doesn’t possess either trait I’m afraid, He doesn’t do enough on the ball either doesn’t have any vision , he should never start a game unless we have no other choice because of injuries etc .

chrystaf
12 hours ago, Parttimer1874 said:

The ref wouldn’t have. 

But his tackle was a good old fashioned sliding one that got the ball and was never a free kick let alone a card.

Every team needs a Cammy Devlin.

Notice that in the EPL refs allow play to flow far more than up here.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Ths is the point.  Anyone saying we won't progress with Cammy in our team is missing it entirely.  Apart from anything he's a MUCH better footballer than credited.

He was our best player yesterday and by some distance imo.  He was the one trying to set the tempo, but also held his position much better - was very disciplined.  Not throwing shade on Naisy, he's got vastly more right than wrong, but the game changed when Cam came off.  Up until then, goal notwithstanding, it was 50/50.  Cam came off and they started just waltzing through us, we lost our bite and our shape.  Tait will learn, no issues there, the kid's a player, but for me it was the wrong move.  If Cam HAD to come off for some reason, then it had to be Cochrane imo.

You'll note a pattern with Cam that he turns up on big occasions.  He was great yesterday, he's had big European games for us too.  The boy deserves way more respect from our support.

(as does Beni btw - everyone around me was screaming at him all game calling him lazy - ridiculous)

Everyone throwing toys out the pram blaming every player they can cos Rangers beat us.  We more or less matched them in every department other than finishing and that includes Mr Shanks on this occasion.  Kingsley slipped up for first goal, Tait for the second.  The defending after these slips, OK you can pull apart but at the end of the day, they were well finished really.  Seen someone blame Nat for the first!!! He went in to block and the guy dummied.  I mean, wtf!

Sorry, off topic, but I'm not replying on all the hissy threads!

Agreed, the problem with Beni is that Cantwell was running off him a lot and he was slow to react, we were up the back and you really see the game better than where we sit at Tynecastle. 
Not sure why Cochrane wasn’t used at some point tbh, Tait created a great chance for Oda, and Kent or Rowles really should’ve taken a yellow at the 2nd by fouling Cantwell. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

For all the players to single out from yesterday Devlin should be way down the pecking order. Thought he was decent all round. Biggest issue with the midfield was Grant being absolutely invisible. Can’t put a performance in like he did and expect to beat them. 

Exactly 

vegas-voss
12 hours ago, Jsmith21 said:

You could say that about the whole side yesterday apart from one superb cross by Shankland.

King prawn

I like Devlin - I think with Beni and Hoff alongside him he’s a good player and he doesn’t hide in big games!

One point about all these passing statistics though - Devlin’s passes too often are slower than they should be or slightly behind the player. I’m guessing they’ll all count as “progressive passes” or bettering his accuracy but they need to be better and quicker to have an impact more often 

TheBigO
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Agreed, the problem with Beni is that Cantwell was running off him a lot and he was slow to react, we were up the back and you really see the game better than where we sit at Tynecastle. 
Not sure why Cochrane wasn’t used at some point tbh, Tait created a great chance for Oda, and Kent or Rowles really should’ve taken a yellow at the 2nd by fouling Cantwell. 

Agreed on the second goal, need to learn to be a bit nastier.  I'd wondered if Beni should have been pulling the jersey, but yeah Kye or Frankie needed to make the foul having seen it on telly.

As for Beni, I get that, but there's a lot of rock and hard place and Cantwell - as much as he's a total little scrot - is excellent at finding that pocket and if you're behnd him you can't breathe or he's down for a dangerous freekick/penalty and you're in the book.  This is why I've said (maybe another thread) that all the dafties screaming at us to "PREEEESSSSS FFS!*" just don't get that that's what they're wanting and you have to press on triggers and areas, which we actually did.  One guy gets taken out, Beni is then caught between ball and Cantwell, and they have what they want.  It happened sometimes but by and large we managed it.

What lots of folk round me were shouting at was Beni being "lazy".  He's generally where he needs to be.  What's the issue?  And they wanted him to drive forward with the ball - firstly not his game - secondly, what happened when Tait did that?  I do agree I'd like him to move the ball quicker and more positively at times, but no one can disagree with his ball retention rate.  Again, some of the passes being asked for from him were beyond vintage Pirlo standard.  No way, never on.  But "forward" so guys sitting in the stand scream for them.  His issue very often is he picks up the ball, does look forward, nowt on, needs to pivot.  That said, he will turn down a tricky pass at times which he should  be trying.

*which has become the new "tackle um" or "git it in the boax".  Sigh.

HopeDiouf
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Agreed on the second goal, need to learn to be a bit nastier.  I'd wondered if Beni should have been pulling the jersey, but yeah Kye or Frankie needed to make the foul having seen it on telly.

As for Beni, I get that, but there's a lot of rock and hard place and Cantwell - as much as he's a total little scrot - is excellent at finding that pocket and if you're behnd him you can't breathe or he's down for a dangerous freekick/penalty and you're in the book.  This is why I've said (maybe another thread) that all the dafties screaming at us to "PREEEESSSSS FFS!*" just don't get that that's what they're wanting and you have to press on triggers and areas, which we actually did.  One guy gets taken out, Beni is then caught between ball and Cantwell, and they have what they want.  It happened sometimes but by and large we managed it.

What lots of folk round me were shouting at was Beni being "lazy".  He's generally where he needs to be.  What's the issue?  And they wanted him to drive forward with the ball - firstly not his game - secondly, what happened when Tait did that?  I do agree I'd like him to move the ball quicker and more positively at times, but no one can disagree with his ball retention rate.  Again, some of the passes being asked for from him were beyond vintage Pirlo standard.  No way, never on.  But "forward" so guys sitting in the stand scream for them.  His issue very often is he picks up the ball, does look forward, nowt on, needs to pivot.  That said, he will turn down a tricky pass at times which he should  be trying.

Part of the reason beni can't find a pass is he can't kick the ball very far.  He's not got a pass longer than about 20 yard range in his locker.  Add that to his fitness issues (breathing out his arse after 60 minutes again yesterday) and for me, whilst he is good at things he's good at, his weaknesses edge towards outweighing his strengths at times.

TheBigO
6 minutes ago, HopeDiouf said:

Part of the reason beni can't find a pass is he can't kick the ball very far.  He's not got a pass longer than about 20 yard range in his locker.  Add that to his fitness issues (breathing out his arse after 60 minutes again yesterday) and for me, whilst he is good at things he's good at, his weaknesses edge towards outweighing his strengths at times.

Hm not sure he was breathing out his arse.  I think he just always looks like that!!!!  Have to say though, yellow card or not, I'd have been taking him off before Cammy.  Not sure if Cammy was just done or not, but if it was tactical, I'm not sure Naisy smashed that.  Beni for Cochrane was the sub for me.  Perhaps Denholm, but I think Alex.  He's one player who does have a bit bite and drive about him and we needed that.

Agree on his passing range.  He's got a very unique way of passing a ball, almost pushes it, doesn't put his foot through it.  If he had a 40 yard pass in his game, not sure he'd be at Hearts is the truth!  Something you get from big Pete is how well he spreads the ball, he takes it in and gets it wide early and I always loved that about him.

Beni's a good player, a good lad too.  Having been told maybe 3 months ago he was signing, I'm assuming that is now oot the windae.  Would prefer him to stay but I also think he's replaceable, really.  Hof was a big miss yesterday.  He's become very important for us.

HopeDiouf
Just now, TheBigO said:

Hm not sure he was breathing out his arse.  I think he just always looks like that!!!!  Have to say though, yellow card or not, I'd have been taking him off before Cammy.  Not sure if Cammy was just done or not, but if it was tactical, I'm not sure Naisy smashed that.  Beni for Cochrane was the sub for me.  Perhaps Denholm, but I think Alex.  He's one player who does have a bit bite and drive about him and we needed that.

Agree on his passing range.  He's got a very unique way of passing a ball, almost pushes it, doesn't put his foot through it.  If he had a 40 yard pass in his game, not sure he'd be at Hearts is the truth!  Something you get from big Pete is how well he spreads the ball, he takes it in and gets it wide early and I always loved that about him.

Beni's a good player, a good lad too.  Having been told maybe 3 months ago he was signing, I'm assuming that is now oot the windae.  Would prefer him to stay but I also think he's replaceable, really.  Hof was a big miss yesterday.  He's become very important for us.

Watch beni at 2nd goal.

Devlin has some obvious limitations but there’s definitely a role for him in a squad that’s going to be hard-pressed next season what with the European ties coming thick and fast between the domestic commitments.

Although rather over-committed at times, he’s not the type to hide on big occasions.

Yesterday confirmed that there’s others in the current squad who cannot be relied upon to raise their game when it’s required and should not be first-picks.

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

The movement throughout the team is poor, the amount of times Forrest was glued to Tavernier when WE had the ball was nuts. 
But you need to moan at the manager too because he's the one screaming FORWARD at the midfield but Beni in general, they’re just doing the same.

I think you need dynamic midfield players in our league and his languid style gets exposed on such a big pitch. 
Cantwells movement is great, hopefully Dhanda can do the same for us.