Batistuta87

jamboinglasgow

Do we actually believe the Aberdeen board will actually let him have control on signings? Looks pretty clear the recruitment side see themselves separate from the manager.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Mikey1874

• Batistuta87

• Wee Mikey

sirwalter
4 minutes ago, Weebroon98 said:

hopefully the swede will turn into a turnip

Neep o' the north.

If Aberdeen do go into a transition phase next season as the new guy tries to build a team, hopefully that gives us a real chance at getting 3rd back to back. 

kingantti1874
32 minutes ago, OTT said:

If Aberdeen do go into a transition phase next season as the new guy tries to build a team, hopefully that gives us a real chance at getting 3rd back to back. 

if we use our money wisely there should be no reason to fear them, we have better players everywhere.  But we Must recruit wisely and build a strong squad 

Mikey1874

Their fans aren't considering relegation.

Almost seem to think the new manager appointment is enough to keep them up.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

He doesn’t even start till June.  Though I think 2 clubs below them is a safety net.  Fancy ross county to turn them over 

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

if we use our money wisely there should be no reason to fear them, we have better players everywhere.  But we Must recruit wisely and build a strong squad 

Its losing Shankland that gives me the fear. We have the opportunity next season to be feeding a 25 goal a season striker with genuine quality from McKay, Dhanda & Spittal but if we lose him and replace him with even 10-15 goal a season striker, then that impact of what might have been is gone. 

A tough decision for the board IMO. Life will go on either way

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Its losing Shankland that gives me the fear. We have the opportunity next season to be feeding a 25 goal a season striker with genuine quality from McKay, Dhanda & Spittal but if we lose him and replace him with even 10-15 goal a season striker, then that impact of what might have been is gone. 

Of course.  Even without Shankland we are still stronger than every other side in the league outside of Glasgow. Kenny is turning into a fine young player as well and I’d expect him to get between 12-15 next season and as you say we have effectively added spittal, Dhanda and Mackay back into the mix which should allow us to create more. 

Personally, given the carrot of another £6m prize at the end of next season.  I wouldn’t sell shanks for a penny less than £4.5m in the summer

i still hope he will sign a new deal once this season is wrapped up. Give the guy 4/5 years. 

Edited by kingantti1874

ShedBoy
6 minutes ago, OTT said:

I genuinely believe if we win the Scottish cup, Lawrence Shankland will get the pay rise he deserves, and finish his career in Gorgie. 

kingantti1874
Just now, ShedBoy said:

I genuinely believe if we win the Scottish cup, Lawrence Shankland will get the pay rise he deserves, and finish his career in Gorgie. 

👍🏻though I think this is going to happen once third official .  Announced before the cup final if we get there 

Edited by kingantti1874

Tommy Brown
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aberdeen could be about to appoint "Sweden's most boring person" as manager - but someone who is also "exceptional" in the transfer market.

So says Swedish journalist Robert Laul, who knows Jimmy Thelin well from the 46-year-old's six-year spell as Elfsborg head coach in their nation's top flight.

"Jimmy Thelin in Aberdeen would mean the death of exciting headlines," Laul, who writes for Goteborgs-Posten, told BBC Scotland. "The city's newspapers can retire their headline writers or send them on a long holiday to a sunnier place.

"In interviews, he is perhaps Sweden's most boring person. He rarely or never offers anything personal, refuses to tip tables or speculate."

I'm quite sure Scottish refs and Var will soon get opinions out of him.

CaptainShanks
1 hour ago, OTT said:

Just a feeling but I think Shankland will be happy to run his contract down and get a big signing on fee this time next year. I'd be shocked if he leaves in the summer unless we get a big offer which I can't see happening. 

kingantti1874
39 minutes ago, CaptainShanks said:

Just a feeling but I think Shankland will be happy to run his contract down and get a big signing on fee this time next year. I'd be shocked if he leaves in the summer unless we get a big offer which I can't see happening. 

that would be a big risk for him to take 

Saint Jambo
4 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aberdeen could be about to appoint "Sweden's most boring person" as manager - but someone who is also "exceptional" in the transfer market.

So says Swedish journalist Robert Laul, who knows Jimmy Thelin well from the 46-year-old's six-year spell as Elfsborg head coach in their nation's top flight.

"Jimmy Thelin in Aberdeen would mean the death of exciting headlines," Laul, who writes for Goteborgs-Posten, told BBC Scotland. "The city's newspapers can retire their headline writers or send them on a long holiday to a sunnier place.

"In interviews, he is perhaps Sweden's most boring person. He rarely or never offers anything personal, refuses to tip tables or speculate."

I'm pretty sure in the same interview they said that Thelin makes a point of never criticizing referees. I imagine that he won't for the first couple of weeks and get loads of plaudits, but will be criticising with the best of them after 3 months. Heard this many times before from managers coming from outside Scotland and it never lasts. Maybe the focus of the media and fans on refs is so much higher here that they inevitably get sucked in.

Bit odd that he’s waiting until June. You’d think Aberdeen would want him in ASAP if they are paying any compensation. 

Jamboross
12 minutes ago, gjcc said:

Bit odd that he’s waiting until June. You’d think Aberdeen would want him in ASAP if they are paying any compensation. 

I dunno, he's been with Elfsborg 6 and a half years, that's an eternity in management terms. He's probably quite loyal to them so sticking around until their league breaks up for the Euros so they have time to find a successor. It conveniently also gives him time to see if Aberdeen stay up...wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some sort of contract cancelling clause if they end up going down. 

Nelly Terraces

How's that new super stadium, nowhere near Aberdeen, coming on for them? Thought it'd be built by now?:lol:

27 points behind us & years behind us off the pitch. They're a shambles & this new geezer isn't turning it around, not a chance. 

**** them.

WorldChampions1902
5 hours ago, sirwalter said:

Neep o' the north.

Sheep fans will be hoping he can turnip around.

Wee Mikey
6 hours ago, sirwalter said:

A brave choice in the "Yes, Minister" sense?

I have a funny feeling that their new appointment will be the footballing equivalent of a secretary ...

It wouldn't surprise me in the least should he either back out, or last even shorter than Warnock.

indianajones

Drove past Cormack park earlier. Empty soulless place. 

Still amusing the pompous arsehole named it after himself. Guys a self loving . 

soonbe110
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

He might not start if they are not in Premiership. 

soonbe110
2 hours ago, CaptainShanks said:

Most likely scenario. Only risks to him are injury and/or much fewer goals next season. 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Jamboross said:

I dunno, he's been with Elfsborg 6 and a half years, that's an eternity in management terms. He's probably quite loyal to them so sticking around until their league breaks up for the Euros so they have time to find a successor. It conveniently also gives him time to see if Aberdeen stay up...wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some sort of contract cancelling clause if they end up going down. 

They have already identified his replacement.  Will probably be announced this week. 

vegas-voss

The ain't half hyping this guy up.What could possibly go wrong 🤣

colinmorewasgash

He will fit in well in Aberdeen then as most dandies are boring, going on about 80s, fergie and this claim to be third biggest even though their gates are always 5th biggest, behind the made up vermin attendances. 

To be fair to him he has been runner up twice in swedish league but i'd wonder what budget he had and why hes leaving if he is that good to a far bigger european club, than go to a team thats been bottom 6 twice in 3 years. Warnock going on again about them challenging Old firm and he isnt even at club now what was in water up there.

JimmyCant
13 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

I'm pretty sure in the same interview they said that Thelin makes a point of never criticizing referees. I imagine that he won't for the first couple of weeks and get loads of plaudits, but will be criticising with the best of them after 3 months. Heard this many times before from managers coming from outside Scotland and it never lasts. Maybe the focus of the media and fans on refs is so much higher here that they inevitably get sucked in.

Yeh ? Wait till the first time he gets a penalty against him at Ibrox for one of his defenders having a silent fart at a corner

CaptainShanks
13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Most likely scenario. Only risks to him are injury and/or much fewer goals next season. 

I think he backs himself to score goals in a team like us who create a lot of chances. He is rarely ever injured as well and even if he did get an injury next year we would still have a contract offer on the table for him.

If he continues banging them in I reckon he will end up at Rangers next summer. Hopefully for us it doesn't get announced early like Souttar's was as it is a distraction we could do without.

On the top of this third, I think Aberdeen are miles behind us and it won't make a difference whether he stays or go. The new boss will be about of a job by Christmas. 

jbee647
13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Rangers will not be interested in a 30yo Shankland this time next year ( I’m not convinced they have ever been interested)

By Summer 2025 they will be trying to unsettle Scotlands next big thing (whoever he may be) by that time.

Shankland may well move on, but it won’t be to Ibrox 

David McCaig
16 hours ago, CaptainShanks said:

If we get third again next season that will equal a win/win situation for both club and player

CaptainShanks
5 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

If we get third again next season that will equal a win/win situation for both club and player

Exactly. He has banked us 5/6 million this season and would likely do so again next year. 

If he left after three seasons having scored nearly 100 goals he would always be remembered as a great of the club and would likely never be replaced again for decades to come. 

14 hours ago, indianajones said:

Yep and that's where the new stadium was going to be,that would have gone well lol

15 hours ago, indianajones said:

Wild eh.. at least name it after a club legend - I'm sure Ferguson would have been a fitting name given they're hell bent on moving away from Pittodrie!

leipzig76

Elfsborg Swedish Champs 6 times -1936,39,40,61,2006,12 ....Swedish Cup Winners 4 times 2001,02,03,14...Swedish Super Cup 1 time 2007

So nothing won in Jimmy's time there.Don't know if I'd be that excited if he were a pick for us.

Mr Rabbit

I’ve read a few comments from their fans about Thelin. They seem to be falling over themselves about him.

The amusing part is they keep saying he likes accurate long passing, which shouldn’t be misinterpreted as hoofing the ball up the park 😂

We’ve seen it before with us you really can’t predict how a manager, especially one moving from overseas, is going to settle and get his ideas across. There’s been a few even recently where I thought would do really well (Cathro and Stendall) but neither adapted to the game.

Japan Jambo
23 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

I’ve read a few comments from their fans about Thelin. They seem to be falling over themselves about him.

The amusing part is they keep saying he likes accurate long passing, which shouldn’t be misinterpreted as hoofing the ball up the park 😂

We’ve seen it before with us you really can’t predict how a manager, especially one moving from overseas, is going to settle and get his ideas across. There’s been a few even recently where I thought would do really well (Cathro and Stendall) but neither adapted to the game.

Given the comments about how he likes to conduct himself with the media, that'll be an issue straight off the bat.

soonbe110
3 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Rangers will not be interested in a 30yo Shankland this time next year ( I’m not convinced they have ever been interested)

By Summer 2025 they will be trying to unsettle Scotlands next big thing (whoever he may be) by that time.

Agreed, don’t think I mentioned a move to Ibrox.  He is much more likely to move south if it’s money he is after. 

Canscot
10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agreed, don’t think I mentioned a move to Ibrox.  He is much more likely to move south if it’s money he is after. 

He mentioned in an interview recently that he wants to win things. That rules out Championship teams I would think and rules in the Uglies. Won’t be much fun receiving medals for warming either of their benches though. 

Hope Jimmy only has a six month lease on his sheep pen. It’ll be Christmas when either Highland Vlad sacks him or he realises the full strip is a control freak oddball and he jacks it in. 

18 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Unless he gets injured, you'd imagine the "worst-case" scenario for him would just be signing a new contract at Hearts rather than getting a more lucrative move.

soonbe110
1 hour ago, Canscot said:

He mentioned in an interview recently that he wants to win things. That rules out Championship teams I would think and rules in the Uglies. Won’t be much fun receiving medals for warming either of their benches though. 

Rules out signing a new deal with us as well. 

soonbe110
5 minutes ago, Darren said:

Unless he gets injured, you'd imagine the "worst-case" scenario for him would just be signing a new contract at Hearts rather than getting a more lucrative move.

That would almost certainly be worst case for him.  A move to a championship club in summer 25 with a decent signing on fee and a three year deal would be close to best case I’d think. 
Unless he scores 30+ again  next season and one of the uglies feel they have to sign him. Pressure from fans and media to make it happen would be enormous. 

Gorgierools
4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Rules out signing a new deal with us as well. 

Bollox,we're building something here. All the important parts are falling into place. We'll be organising an open top bus in the next two seasons 

Edited by Gorgierools

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, jbee647 said:

A free transfer Shankland will definitely interest them.

Bolsters their options with guaranteed domestic goals.

They won't be interested in paying for him.

VALDOS'

Everyone spin of the wheel gives you a new chance, but all my instincts are this is the Dons version on Stendel

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
22 hours ago, Jamboross said:

What? You mean that, in this case, the Swede might stay at home and not turnip?

I'll get my coat...

Polonia Gorgie

Already looking forward to playing them next season, can't wait to noise the flock up about our European trips 😁🇱🇻