Batistuta87

Carl Fredrickson

I've got a Thelin that their new manager will regret moving to Aberdeen. 

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Mikey1874

• Batistuta87

• Wee Mikey

Bazzas right boot

New Aberdeen gaffer is giving of Stendel vibes.

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

Jimmy Thelin? Could be anything. Done ok in the top level of Swedish football so probably decent. Just feel he would have got a bigger job by now if he's really good. 

Yup my view too, could turn out to be a great appointment for them, but at the same could end up not able to adapt to Scottish football and struggle. Who knows, but certainly he will be going into a club whose fans will be expecting big things from him, if he starts slowly then he could face a lot of pressure.

Polonia Gorgie

The guy will get the rest of this season, pre season and looking for a new job before the 10th game of the new season 

Carl Fredrickson

Will he be any better than Ebbe Shovdahl? He was Danish and came with a decent pedigree from his time at Brondby. Loved by Dons fans but his league placings at Aberdeen were very poor (though he did get to a couple of cup finals)

From what I have read, a lot of Dons fans are saying that the manager doesnt have much say in player signings as it is done by committee and Gunn is proving a very unpopular figure. 

If the new man is allowed to identify new players then he may improve things but they have changed manager a number of times in recent seasons and havent improved. 

Cant say I am too fussed about this appointment as I think he will struggle to impose his way of playing on the current squad and he will also struggle to adapt to the Scottish game. 

jamboinglasgow
16 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Will he be any better than Ebbe Shovdahl? He was Danish and came with a decent pedigree from his time at Brondby. Loved by Dons fans but his league placings at Aberdeen were very poor (though he did get to a couple of cup finals)

From what I have read, a lot of Dons fans are saying that the manager doesnt have much say in player signings as it is done by committee and Gunn is proving a very unpopular figure. 

If the new man is allowed to identify new players then he may improve things but they have changed manager a number of times in recent seasons and havent improved. 

Cant say I am too fussed about this appointment as I think he will struggle to impose his way of playing on the current squad and he will also struggle to adapt to the Scottish game. 

To me thats the crucial thing. Is the current Aberdeen squad one which fits how the new manager likes to play? If not how much surgery is required to change it to that and who is the making the decisions on who comes in? I think those two questions are what will make or break his time at Aberdeen.

A manager is the big part of how a club will do, but if the bits around it aren't working well then even a good manager is trying to do well with one hand tied behind their back.

Carl Fredrickson
29 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

To me thats the crucial thing. Is the current Aberdeen squad one which fits how the new manager likes to play? If not how much surgery is required to change it to that and who is the making the decisions on who comes in? I think those two questions are what will make or break his time at Aberdeen.

A manager is the big part of how a club will do, but if the bits around it aren't working well then even a good manager is trying to do well with one hand tied behind their back.

From what I have read on Dons fans sites, this seems to be the main issue since Cormack took over. Unless the new manager has guarantees that he will have some or all control then they will just be going round the same cycle of hire and firing that has been the case since McInnes left. 

I dont think that their squad is as bad as their league position is but they are playing some awful stuff this season. The big punt up the pitch is dreadful. It may be the mananger has asked them to do this or they are playing with fear and doing it as a result of this. 

I cant see them being as bad next season but a lot will depend on recruitment (particularly in defence and in goal) but also how they adapt to players leaving. 

Hope Jimmy only takes a six month lease on his new gaff. He’ll be back home by Christmas with Cormack bubbling on tv again. 

4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yeh that is what I was thinking at first.

There squad will need major surgery to fit his style of play.

That will probably be bank rolled by the sale of Mivoski 

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Rods said:

Yeh that is what I was thinking at first.

There squad will need major surgery to fit his style of play.

That will probably be bank rolled by the sale of Mivoski 

Miovski money will need ti be banked for their stadium !

jamborich
11 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Agree

jamborich
2 minutes ago, jamborich said:

Agree

Warnock tells me they make wrong decisions this guy putting his head on the block 

alicante jambo
5 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Miovski is decent but what sort of fee do they reckon they can get. Duk last season was on fire but hardly kicked a ball this season. I cant say i seen much of miovski or heard of him last season so maybe a one season wonder?

39 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Miovski is decent but what sort of fee do they reckon they can get. Duk last season was on fire but hardly kicked a ball this season. I cant say i seen much of miovski or heard of him last season so maybe a one season wonder?

He scored 16 goals in the league last season

jbee647
6 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aberdeen have been kicking the stadium issue down the road for 20 years, they will continue to avoid it for as long as they can, hoping the local council or businesses bail them out

alicante jambo
48 minutes ago, Hansel said:

He scored 16 goals in the league last season

Cheers bud for some reason or another i never heard much of him maybe its my age.

3 minutes ago, alicante jambo said:

Cheers bud for some reason or another i never heard much of him maybe its my age.

No worries mate. You're right about Duk though. Don't know what's happened with him this season. He looked decent last season 

alicante jambo
9 minutes ago, Hansel said:

No worries mate. You're right about Duk though. Don't know what's happened with him this season. He looked decent last season 

I think he was injured but its not happened for him. Long may it continue but i think the sheep are looking at big money for miovski.

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, alicante jambo said:

He scored a few last season and is a god player.

He'll go for decent money.

kingantti1874

Lewis Fergusons has done knee ligaments.  Nothing against the lad, wouldn’t wish him injury but Aberdeen were counting on a couple of mill sell on this summer I feel. 

So I’m guessing they still haven’t persuaded anybody to come manage a team for a set of supporters who think they’re a euro giant that should be sweeping all before them.

Bottom 6 in the SPL is their real place now. In fact make that bottom 3

On 02/04/2024 at 22:52, Daveandal said:

There are only really 5 "domestic" options out there IMO.

1. Michael O'Neil - seems he has been approached and turned it down

2. Alex Neil - Appears to see his future in England 

3. Neil Lennon - f'ing hilarious 

4. Robbie Neilson - Fans wouldn't be happy and they seem to have missed the boat on him too as he is living it up State side.

5. Derek McInnes - The one I'd be most concerned about BUT given the history it's going to have to be some pay packet and apology to get him in.

We might be looking at an Ebbe Skovdahl mark II

I doubt Cormack would go after McInnes as manager, as that would be an admission on Dippy Dave's part that he was wrong to let McInnes go in the first place, and I don't think that egotistical narcissists tend to admit to getting things wrong.  

Even if he did swallow his pride and offer the job to McInnes, I'm not sure McInnes would want to go back there.  Seems him and Cormack didn't see eye to eye, then again does Cormack see eye to eye with anyone?  Warnock's unexpected departure apparently down to tensions between him and Cormack.

On 12/04/2024 at 00:40, Bazzas right boot said:

Naw, surely the cooncil is gonnae pie fir the new stadium.  That's fit Dave telt the rest ay the loons in his consorteeum.

Section Q

Lennon was desperate for the job. Might have to settle for Monty's replacement when the time comes.

kingantti1874
On 12/04/2024 at 07:09, jbee647 said:

Aberdeen have been kicking the stadium issue down the road for 20 years, they will continue to avoid it for as long as they can, hoping the local council or businesses bail them out

on that afc chat forum someone had the cheek to point at Dundee for investing in players rather than their pitch.  Dumb mutant couldn’t see the irony at all 

1971fozzy

They are never building a new ground. They’ll tart and maintain  that hole up a bit every season as they slowly but surely sink.  Whilst almost every other club has had to invest in their stadia , the sheep haven’t and now are screaming for council funding at a time when councils are skint and some going bankrupt . 
all these years they got 2nd whilst without us , rangers and hibs in the top teir count for nothing. They could very likely end up in a relegation play off spot being only 5 points off it right now. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

They are never building a new ground. They’ll tart and maintain  that hole up a bit every season as they slowly but surely sink.  Whilst almost every other club has had to invest in their stadia , the sheep haven’t and now are screaming for council funding at a time when councils are skint and some going bankrupt . 
all these years they got 2nd whilst without us , rangers and hibs in the top teir count for nothing. They could very likely end up in a relegation play off spot being only 5 points off it right now. 

They are in limbo with their stadium, as you say they cant afford to build a new one but at the same time they dont want to redevelop their old one.

I think 5 points is just enough to keep them from the play=offs but there is more problems to them than just a manager, so I think Aberdeen fans need to be careful not to think that a new manager will mean everything is great again.

Mikey1874

Hibs were 4 points above 11th after 33 games in 2014. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Batistuta87

What's the deal with this Jimmy Thelin dude then? He sounds quite interesting if I'm honest but that's just from what's being said about him in the papers which is obviously all going to be positive.

Dunno if I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be a massive difference between the two sides on paper and in fact Elfsborg look stronger in some areas. The papers are on about him being able to pick up superb bargains in the transfer market but not really seeing who falls into that category for his current team? Arber Zenelli maybe, but it looks like he was at Elfsborg a few years ago and has failed to make an impact elsewhere so has came back, rather than being plucked out of obscurity by the manager. 

Anyone into Swedish football, know anything? 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

What's the deal with this Jimmy Thelin dude then? He sounds quite interesting if I'm honest but that's just from what's being said about him in the papers which is obviously all going to be positive.

Dunno if I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be a massive difference between the two sides on paper and in fact Elfsborg look stronger in some areas. The papers are on about him being able to pick up superb bargains in the transfer market but not really seeing who falls into that category for his current team? Arber Zenelli maybe, but it looks like he was at Elfsborg a few years ago and has failed to make an impact elsewhere so has came back, rather than being plucked out of obscurity by the manager. 

Anyone into Swedish football, know anything? 

Na. These middle of the road guys will be keen for an opportunity in the U.K. see it as a better platform maybe to be noticed by clubs down south. 

I take it he’s not confirmed. Maybe changed his mind after visiting the dump 🤣

Edited by kingantti1874

Mikey1874
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Na. These middle of the road guys will be keen for an opportunity in the U.K. see it as a better platform maybe to be noticed by clubs down south. 

Was asked repeatedly in post interview about it after 3-0 league defeat last night and refused to say anything. 

Aberdeen fans saying could be announcement today (been saying that last 30 days).

ToadKiller Dog

Tom English was saying it was a done deal on Saturday,  likely not arriving until June after Partick or Raith relegate them  😆 

May one-six
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

They are in limbo with their stadium, as you say they cant afford to build a new one but at the same time they dont want to redevelop their old one.

I think 5 points is just enough to keep them from the play=offs but there is more problems to them than just a manager, so I think Aberdeen fans need to be careful not to think that a new manager will mean everything is great again.

Someone at Aberdeen will soon have to be brave enough to admit they need to take the hit and get on with redeveloping their stadium or move elsewhere. We've already done that and are now in a position where we can concentrate on achieving third place in the league every year. If we continue getting into Europe and they don't we'll move further and further ahead. It seems that Cormack is intent on trying to get that third spot while ignoring the crumbling ruins around him.

No doubt they'll have to spend even more money securing the new manager and bringing in players he wants. They should get cash for Miovski, but if they can't pick up an adequate replacement pretty cheaply then selling him could be costly in the long run.

When Cormack first came in, I was a wee bit concerned, since he seemed to have a lot of cash and a good business brain. Fortunately, when it comes to running a football club it looks like he's second division material. 

jamboinglasgow
3 minutes ago, May one-six said:

Someone at Aberdeen will soon have to be brave enough to admit they need to take the hit and get on with redeveloping their stadium or move elsewhere. We've already done that and are now in a position where we can concentrate on achieving third place in the league every year. If we continue getting into Europe and they don't we'll move further and further ahead. It seems that Cormack is intent on trying to get that third spot while ignoring the crumbling ruins around him.

No doubt they'll have to spend even more money securing the new manager and bringing in players he wants. They should get cash for Miovski, but if they can't pick up an adequate replacement pretty cheaply then selling him could be costly in the long run.

When Cormack first came in, I was a wee bit concerned, since he seemed to have a lot of cash and a good business brain. Fortunately, when it comes to running a football club it looks like he's second division material. 

I agree, the stadium is something which could hold them back compared to rivals. As you say we have sorted it and now getting the most out of Tynecastle. Hibs are the same in that they have finished building everything at Easter Road and are now looking to maximise revenue from it. Dundee are a mess but if they were to get their stadium sorted (they are currently a bit further down the road on it than Aberdeen) then they could benefit. They are limited and need to make a decision, but I think they are going to kick the can further down the road on the hope the council change their mind and fund a new stadium.

They will get cash from Miovski, but I do think yesterdays announcement about Ferguson (if he is out for till after the summer which could well be the case) is one which really hits them as I do think they were expecting to get a few million this summer while his stock was high in Italy. I also think squad planning has messed up, last summer was the ideal one to do major surgery on the squad as they had quite a few players leaving, European money and money from selling McCroie. But the squad feels unbalanced and will need more work this summer.

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

It sounds like the cogs are turning. Danish press are reporting that the AaB manager has left to take over at Elfsborg. 

Edited by Batistuta87

Batistuta87
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Confirmed now. Takes over in June. 

image.thumb.png.c3148291994028e30ee53961d7e927e3.png

Edited by Batistuta87

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Confirmed now. Takes over in June. 

image.thumb.png.c3148291994028e30ee53961d7e927e3.png

Good appointment. Reckon he'll get them out the championship next season 

RustyRightPeg

Another brave choice, recommended to them by an external recruitment company who's job is now done and they walk away from Aberdeen.

By all accounts, looking like they will need another rebuild too.

Batistuta87
27 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Another brave choice, recommended to them by an external recruitment company who's job is now done and they walk away from Aberdeen.

Good. And their stadium is a wreck. 

Long may their troubles continue. 

ShortmanRossco

Credit where credit is due, at least it’s not a boring appointment and they are trying something different.

Let’s just hope he now makes an arse of it.

Chuck Berry

New manager with a rigid philosophy, will need to raid out the squad and bring in players who can play to the system, could be expensive.

No European football, probably no Ferguson money.

Pittodrie continues to crumble with no new stadium on the horizon for at least the next 5 years, certainly not one the council is paying for, so maintenance costs will continue to rise meantime.

Pass the popcorn.

jamboinglasgow
40 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

I can imagine the consultants will have said "here is a list of changes and a person we think would work well with it." I can see Aberdeen just bringing in the manager, maybe a couple of changes but ignoring the others (due to cost or effort.) Means if it does not work out the consultants can say its not their fault as Aberdeen didn't carry out everything the recommended 

Albert McFly

This is a Stendal style mistake by Aberdeen...... Can't wait 😃

boag1874

Interesting appointment, I’ve felt for a while clubs like ourselves, Hibs & Aberdeen should be looking at the Scandinavian market with regards to coaches if we want someone outside the box. I’m not worried at all about what they do though, if we kick on then we’ll get the better of them again save for him turning out to be a miracle worker

RustyRightPeg

Aberdeen could be about to appoint "Sweden's most boring person" as manager - but someone who is also "exceptional" in the transfer market.

So says Swedish journalist Robert Laul, who knows Jimmy Thelin well from the 46-year-old's six-year spell as Elfsborg head coach in their nation's top flight.

"Jimmy Thelin in Aberdeen would mean the death of exciting headlines," Laul, who writes for Goteborgs-Posten, told BBC Scotland. "The city's newspapers can retire their headline writers or send them on a long holiday to a sunnier place.

"In interviews, he is perhaps Sweden's most boring person. He rarely or never offers anything personal, refuses to tip tables or speculate."

sirwalter
56 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

A brave choice in the "Yes, Minister" sense?

sirwalter
3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aberdeen could be about to appoint "Sweden's most boring person" as manager - but someone who is also "exceptional" in the transfer market.

So says Swedish journalist Robert Laul, who knows Jimmy Thelin well from the 46-year-old's six-year spell as Elfsborg head coach in their nation's top flight.

"Jimmy Thelin in Aberdeen would mean the death of exciting headlines," Laul, who writes for Goteborgs-Posten, told BBC Scotland. "The city's newspapers can retire their headline writers or send them on a long holiday to a sunnier place.

"In interviews, he is perhaps Sweden's most boring person. He rarely or never offers anything personal, refuses to tip tables or speculate."

Well, if it doesn't work out for him at Aberdeen there should be a gig for him at "Sportsound" alongside Dodds and Crichton.

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

A brave choice in the "Yes, Minister" sense?

Wasn't meant in a complimentary way. The whole things been a shambles.