*** official Rangers v Heart of Midlothian match day thread ***

Selkirkhmfc1874

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Rangers are nothing special, I Gurantee If we match them in midfield and get them at Tynecastle after the split, we will beat them.

Midfield is key against old firm.

You say "nothing special", but they usually  outgun us.  They recruit Champions League level players, so 9 times out of 10 that'll win the day even if we put in a decent performance.

I agree with your last statement though - we have to try to be at the top of our game in all aspects of midfield play in order to get something from a match against them.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Bazzas right boot

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Enjoy the game with your half n half scarf?

Naw just draped in a Union Jack chum! 

3 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

You can’t possibly know that.  Losing so heavily and not even doing the basics could easily erode confidence in the squad.

Doubt it

jamborich
52 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Five goals better than this Hearts team?

Lots of posters here bemoan - quite rightly - that St Mirren’s 0-5 reverse to Celtic in 1986 was a disgrace.

Depending on how the title race works out, it might not be unreasonable for some to point to this result and to ask the same questions we’ve done. 
I’m not suggesting there’s some conspiracy here, but I suspect some might view things differently…

Ffs just except we got beat by a better team conspiracy you having a laugh 

55 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Lots of posters here bemoan - quite rightly - that St Mirren’s 0-5 reverse to Celtic in 1986 was a disgrace.

Depending on how the title race works out, it might not be unreasonable for some to point to this result and to ask the same questions we’ve done. 
I’m not suggesting there’s some conspiracy here, but I suspect some might view things differently…

Hope they do - Celtic blaming Hearts for losing the league mmmm karma! 😉

Fozzyonthefence
43 minutes ago, sac said:

Don’t know about you, but I’ve watched us many times at Ibrox over the years and we’ve not won many regardless of how we start or finish (check the stats) same at parkhead for that matter.

we have underperformed in Glasgow in my lifetime and as much as I want us to do better through there we are always going to be up against it.

sad but true.

My point was more on our first half performances week in week out.  They don’t make it possible to scud anyone as we’re generally lucky if we’re going in 0-0 at half time.  When was the last time we scored a first half goal in the league?  Celtic?  

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

My point was more on our first half performances week in week out.  They don’t make it possible to scud anyone as we’re generally lucky if we’re going in 0-0 at half time.  When was the last time we scored a first half goal in the league?  Celtic?  

Unless I’m mistaken, games are won lost or drawn over 90 mins plus VAR time. Football has a habit of throwing up these anomalies. 

We’re in 3rd because of our 2nd half performances, if it was that predictable I’d stay in the boozer till 15:45 then take my seat.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, sac said:

Unless I’m mistaken, games are won lost or drawn over 90 mins plus VAR time. Football has a habit of throwing up these anomalies. 

We’re in 3rd because of our 2nd half performances, if it was that predictable I’d stay in the boozer till 15:45 then take my seat.

We’re winning most weeks over 90 minutes, not disputing that but we’re not scudding anyone and don’t look like scudding anyone.  You said we’re going to scud someone soon and I’m wondering what you’re basing that on because it doesn’t look very likely.  Not a complaint, more an observation.

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

walk away from those shrooms mate

56 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

According to rangers fans. Shankland chucked the armband as he came off . Anyone see it? 

There was a big cheers when he was coming off. Watched it on TV the cheer came as Shankland had taken the captains armband off on TV you couldn't see if he chucked it as it cut to him just as after whatever he did with the arm band,  but was exact same time as the cheer. He looked pissed but so he should have.

Edited by Philfigo

8 minutes ago, Philfigo said:

There was a big cheers when he was coming off. Watched it on TV the cheer came as Shankland had taken the captains armband off on TV you couldn't see if he chucked it as it cut to him just as after whatever he did with the arm band,  but was exact same time as the cheer. He looked pissed but so he should have.

They said on the radio today that he chucked the armband.

FionaHmfc
56 minutes ago, Dusty said:

They said on the radio today that he chucked the armband.

He also made the effort to attend a disabled supporters event tonight and spent plenty time chatting, laughing away and taking photos with fans. Something he gave us up his own time to do on a Saturday night. Probably the last thing he wanted to do after a 5-0 loss but done it anyway. Same with Cochrane. 

FionaHmfc
1 hour ago, south morocco said:

Do they still have to come to tynecastle after the split 

Yes we’ve played them twice at ibrox and once at Tynecastle so they have to visit us post split. Hoping someone takes out Souttar that game. Can’t stand the prick at all. Seen he had posted photos of him playing against hearts today with blue heart captions and just reminded me of the shitty “thanks for everything” message he mustered up when he left us. 6 years, numerous injuries we stood by him through too, and all he could be arsed to say was 3 words when he left 😂 can’t stand him. 

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, FionaHmfc said:

He also made the effort to attend a disabled supporters event tonight and spent plenty time chatting, laughing away and taking photos with fans. Something he gave us up his own time to do on a Saturday night. Probably the last thing he wanted to do after a 5-0 loss but done it anyway. Same with Cochrane. 

Fantastic to hear.

5 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We’re winning most weeks over 90 minutes, not disputing that but we’re not scudding anyone and don’t look like scudding anyone.  You said we’re going to scud someone soon and I’m wondering what you’re basing that on because it doesn’t look very likely.  Not a complaint, more an observation.

We won't be scudding anybody anytime soon.

gregzy2k7

Just watched the highlights back, 

The first goal sums up our day imo,

In a word "weak"

No one even gets close to the rangers player who scores the first goal, his shot is not even hit that hard at goal and how on earth has Zander Clark not saved that?

From then on in, our team has capitulated,

Every single Rangers goal is extremely preventable, yet we just let them waltz through us like they are Brazil 1970,

Have got to mention though, Zander Clark was ball watching for about 3 of those goals!! What on earth was he doing???? Did he have a bet on Rangers to win??

Need to pick ourselves up and fast for the derby.

Some big calls need to be made for our next match, I would drop Clark and Atkinson at the very least.

PapaShango
9 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

You say "nothing special", but they usually  outgun us.  They recruit Champions League level players, so 9 times out of 10 that'll win the day even if we put in a decent performance.

I agree with your last statement though - we have to try to be at the top of our game in all aspects of midfield play in order to get something from a match against them.

I think even if we had played well yesterday they would still have won. They have better players and that’s a fact and they were right up for it from the first whistle. We certainly didn’t help ourselves with all the mistakes though and you can never accept getting done 5-0! How we bounce back is important, got to go out and put Hibs to the sword on Wednesday night and I expect a few changes from yesterday. Would like to see Gordon Tait and Forrest come back in at least.

PapaShango
10 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Just watched the highlights back, 

The first goal sums up our day imo,

In a word "weak"

No one even gets close to the rangers player who scores the first goal, his shot is not even hit that hard at goal and how on earth has Zander Clark not saved that?

From then on in, our team has capitulated,

Every single Rangers goal is extremely preventable, yet we just let them waltz through us like they are Brazil 1970,

Have got to mention though, Zander Clark was ball watching for about 3 of those goals!! What on earth was he doing???? Did he have a bet on Rangers to win??

Need to pick ourselves up and fast for the derby.

Some big calls need to be made for our next match, I would drop Clark and Atkinson at the very least.

Even the 5th goal goes right through his hand. Gordon would have saved at least 2 of them so for me has to come back for the derby. Remember the year we won the cup in 98 we took a few scuddings from Rangers including a 5-2 at home. It’s how you learn from the mistakes that are important and how you bounce back from them. 

Skacelsid

IMO and others, we have been containing opponents, making changes and winning games in the second half. The plan has worked well  (although I am not a fan) it does carry risk tho especially against better teams, and yesterday it fell apart and could have been worse. I cannot say I was surprised. We are making progress but we need to get to the stage where we come out the traps, are a threat and are trying to win the game for the full 90 minutes. The Hibs game is now the ideal game to pick up and put things right.

BackOfTheNet

Didn’t see the game (listened to the radio before turning off) but have to say, stats wise we’ve had a lot worse games in Glasgow. I’d say they were clinical, but having seen the highlights every goal they scored was defendable and avoidable, and we just were weak at every one.

IMG_1745.jpeg

Edited by BackOfTheNet

pettigrewsstylist
12 hours ago, sac said:

Lawrence Shankland individual brilliance is main reason for being 3rd IMO.

Beat by the better team, its as simple as that. We really need to use it and remember it. Bring on the hibs. 🇱🇻

An interesting factor is how Clement seems to have turned Rangers into a winning machine with pretty much the same squad Beale had. I think I read before this game that he had overseen 26 games since his arrival with just one loss. That's some record considering what came before.

They looked fragile before, were dropping points, now they're frequently blowing teams away, scoring at least 3 is common for them. I have never put much faith in a new manager being able to do too much more with the same squad, but unless they were just ready to click anyway maybe he has something about him. 

Wee Mikey
21 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

That looks smashing, where did you get to?

Apologies for the late reply.

Malta.

21 hours ago, One five said:

Looks like a Greek island? Enjoy mate wherever it is 🍻

HHGH.

Oh, believe me, we were thoroughly enjoying ourselves. Imagine finding a sports bar with a sea-view terrace and Rangers TV a mere 10 minutes stroll from our Mediterranean bolt-hole? 

A lovely 19⁰ with a slight sea breeze.

Sadly, I didn't even get as far as finishing my 2nd Pina Colada before, well, we all know ...

"Cheers, fellow Jambos; Wednesday here we come."

Screenshot_20240225_112101_Gallery.jpg

Nelly Terraces
14 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

TRUE.

Yesterday was a collective disaster for everyone, from the manager all the way down & it brutally exposed the weaknesses in this current squad, both in technical footballing ability & their mentality, the second part of which is why most these guys will never make it to the higher echelons of the game. 

portobellojambo1
49 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Without a doubt the goals from LS have played a huge part in where we stand in the league this season, and in a roundabout way I'm pleased that he was as poor as his team mates yesterday, as he did nothing to sell himself to anyone. Yesterday was a result just waiting to happen, in a number of games this season we've not playes well, but managed to pull off a win. Yesterday we didn't play well, if I'm honest we were pretty keek throughout the team and I'm quite pleased it only ended 5-0 because we could have had no complaints if we had gone in 6-0 down at half time. It was a crap day and we have to move forward from it, and wins versus Hibs and Celtic is the way to do that.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Lone Striker
3 hours ago, PapaShango said:

I think even if we had played well yesterday they would still have won. They have better players and that’s a fact and they were right up for it from the first whistle. We certainly didn’t help ourselves with all the mistakes though and you can never accept getting done 5-0! How we bounce back is important, got to go out and put Hibs to the sword on Wednesday night and I expect a few changes from yesterday. Would like to see Gordon Tait and Forrest come back in at least.

Yep.  I was very surprised that Forrest didn't start yesterday - he's very good at getting us up the pitch with his runs.  

36 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

An interesting factor is how Clement seems to have turned Rangers into a winning machine with pretty much the same squad Beale had. I think I read before this game that he had overseen 26 games since his arrival with just one loss. That's some record considering what came before.

They looked fragile before, were dropping points, now they're frequently blowing teams away, scoring at least 3 is common for them. I have never put much faith in a new manager being able to do too much more with the same squad, but unless they were just ready to click anyway maybe he has something about him. 

He definitely has that.  Apparently he was on Celtic's shortlist in the summer before they went for Rodgers instead, which is probably one of the reason their fans are not happy.   Hopefully they're even more unhappy  after next weekend  😃

pettigrewsstylist
10 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Without a doubt the goals from LS have played a huge part in where we stand in the league this season, and in a roundabout way I'm pleased that he was as poor as his team mates yesterday, as he did nothing to sell himself to anyone. Yesterday was a result just waiting to happen, in a number of games this season we've not playes well, but managed to pull off a win. Yesterday we didn't play well, if I'm honest we were pretty keek throughout the team and I'm quite pleased it only ended 5-0 because we could have had no complaints if we had gone in 6-0 down at half time. It was a crap day and we have to move forward from it, and wins versus Hibs and Celtic is the way to do that.

SN has came up with a system to defeat bottom 6 teams home AND away, which when stuttering to turn possesion or draws into wins, Captain incredible has stepped forward and took responsibility.

So kudos to him. 

I think a few, due to their mental fragility or inability to do simple things when faced with a determined opponent, may have seriously blotted their copybook yesterday and are on shoogly pegs for summer window.

I though Shanks did lots of good work yesterday, and incredibly nearly increased his goals tally, with another peice of brilliance out of next to nothing.

13 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Exactly my point.  We start games sluggishly and it's not until the last 30 minutes of a game that we get a grip.  We have been fortunate to win most games in the second half, but against a better side this first half complacency will come home to bite us, as it did yesterday.

If we don't start focused and up for it on Wed we will come a cropper.  

Rangers showed us respect yesterday and were on it from the first whistle. The press was unbelievable. 
Sure we were well off it as well but sometimes you just lose to a much better team.

Confident we’ll bounce back on Wednesday 

15 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We won’t be scudding anyone unless we improve our first half performances.  You can get away with it against most teams but not at Ibrox. 

Spot on as I've said frequently.  We are a 45 minute team and got found out yesterday.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

No point reading too much into that. Rangers were brilliant and we couldn't cope. Happened dozens of times before and it'll happen again. Saying that though, it's still okay to moan about 3-5-2 and it's still okay to think Atkinson is never a footballer.

18 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

What can you say? 
My gut reaction is that for us this was/is today a shambles. Conceding in 2 mins? Pathetic.

In my opinion, there’s not a five-goal difference between the two teams.

So what the **** explains the capitulation? Bacause that’s what today is all about.

For me it was a free hit, no one expected Hearts to beat Rangers at Ibrox.

Ok we lost 5 goals but it’s still only 3 points lost.

Hopefully spurs the team on for a proper performance Wednesday.

And I would play Gordon in goals born winner.

upgotheheads
4 minutes ago, bawheed said:

For me it was a free hit, no one expected Hearts to beat Rangers at Ibrox.

Ok we lost 5 goals but it’s still only 3 points lost.

Hopefully spurs the team on for a proper performance Wednesday.

And I would play Gordon in goals born winner.

A sense of perspective seems to be appearing. The early blunders from some of the worst defending of the season set the tone of the game and the blunders were coming from players you wouldn't expect. Beni was at fault for the first goal, Nat was a disaster in the first 20 minutes, and Rowles had his worst game ever for us. Meanwhile, there were spells when we looked good going forward, and if Rangers hadn't had such a comfortable lead we would have worried them.

The important thing is that we bounce back quickly against H1b5, and learn the lessons from yesterday against Celtic.

It would be a big mistake to punish Clark for yesterday's performance, he wasn't at fault for any of the goals, and making him a scapegoat would be a disaster for team morale.

avhudtheteeshirt

I have just watched the highlights and at the kickoff a Rangers player was in the Hearts half before the ball was kicked.

Ref should have called for a restart, but as usual they just turn a blind eye to it???

Would not have changed the result, but rules are rules, except in Glasgow???

soonbe110
18 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

He’s not suspended for any games. 

Yesterday was his sixth booking in the league so one game suspension in first league match from 9 March ie Dingwall. 

soonbe110
2 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

A sense of perspective seems to be appearing. The early blunders from some of the worst defending of the season set the tone of the game and the blunders were coming from players you wouldn't expect. Beni was at fault for the first goal, Nat was a disaster in the first 20 minutes, and Rowles had his worst game ever for us. Meanwhile, there were spells when we looked good going forward, and if Rangers hadn't had such a comfortable lead we would have worried them.

The important thing is that we bounce back quickly against H1b5, and learn the lessons from yesterday against Celtic.

It would be a big mistake to punish Clark for yesterday's performance, he wasn't at fault for any of the goals, and making him a scapegoat would be a disaster for team morale.

How can you say he wasn’t at fault for their fifth?  Meat and drink save for most keepers.  Slow to react at first goal as well 

15 hours ago, FionaHmfc said:

Just quoting how they said it in the radio - I’ve not seen the game nor in a hurry to!

Yes, saw that on Twitter/X.  Good on them.

Rocky jamboa

Just watched the highlights back and just as bad watching 2nd time back!

1st goal. Natty goes on a run into middle of the park, gives away possession about 35 yards out then out of position, leaving Cortes with room on their left. Beni too deep then jumps in and diomande skips past him

2nd goal - rowles gives ball away 40 yards out. Cortes totally unmarked on their left. Wheres akky?? He's nowhere to be seen. Even when highlights almost shows the whole pitch. Was he off the park?? 

3rd goal - rowles again. Loses dessers. Simple ball over the top beats him. Schoolboy stuff

4th goal - amateur stuff. Forrest gives the boy too much room to cross in. Akky and Kent let dessers get in between them. Kent mistimes jump and misses the ball. Akky seems to knock the goal back across goal. No idea what beni is doing. Just hits it off dessers. Then Kent seems to knock the ball back across goal for an open goal for dessers that even he can't miss

5th goal - shanland let's lundstrum get past him too easy. Kent loses the run of silva and let's him get the shot away. 

Akky had a hand in 3 of the goals for me. He gives the ball away too easily and too often and in dangerous positions. A better right back must be the priority in the summer. He gives the attackers too much space. Attackers must love playing against him. Rowles at fault for 2 of the goals, Beni 2 and Kent 2. 

I thought rangers were good but we were horrendous and made it easy for them.

Pasquale for King
23 hours ago, FionaHmfc said:

Yes we’ve played them twice at ibrox and once at Tynecastle so they have to visit us post split. Hoping someone takes out Souttar that game. Can’t stand the prick at all. Seen he had posted photos of him playing against hearts today with blue heart captions and just reminded me of the shitty “thanks for everything” message he mustered up when he left us. 6 years, numerous injuries we stood by him through too, and all he could be arsed to say was 3 words when he left 😂 can’t stand him. 

Hear hear 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Just watched the highlights back and just as bad watching 2nd time back!

1st goal. Natty goes on a run into middle of the park, gives away possession about 35 yards out then out of position, leaving Cortes with room on their left. Beni too deep then jumps in and diomande skips past him

2nd goal - rowles gives ball away 40 yards out. Cortes totally unmarked on their left. Wheres akky?? He's nowhere to be seen. Even when highlights almost shows the whole pitch. Was he off the park?? 

3rd goal - rowles again. Loses dessers. Simple ball over the top beats him. Schoolboy stuff

4th goal - amateur stuff. Forrest gives the boy too much room to cross in. Akky and Kent let dessers get in between them. Kent mistimes jump and misses the ball. Akky seems to knock the goal back across goal. No idea what beni is doing. Just hits it off dessers. Then Kent seems to knock the ball back across goal for an open goal for dessers that even he can't miss

5th goal - shanland let's lundstrum get past him too easy. Kent loses the run of silva and let's him get the shot away. 

Akky had a hand in 3 of the goals for me. He gives the ball away too easily and too often and in dangerous positions. A better right back must be the priority in the summer. He gives the attackers too much space. Attackers must love playing against him. Rowles at fault for 2 of the goals, Beni 2 and Kent 2. 

I thought rangers were good but we were horrendous and made it easy for them.

You missed out ;- 1st Clark beaten once again from outside the box, doesn’t move feet just dives. 
3rd and 4th he should’ve come for the crosses. 5th should’ve saved. 
On top of the mistakes you have highlighted. 

Rocky jamboa
16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You missed out ;- 1st Clark beaten once again from outside the box, doesn’t move feet just dives. 
3rd and 4th he should’ve come for the crosses. 5th should’ve saved. 
On top of the mistakes you have highlighted. 

Nah, not for me. The 1st, 2nd and 5th are good finishes to be fair. Just inside the post. Not many keepers saving those. Maybe could have done better with the 5th with it being a tight angle. 

The 3rd and 4th were crosses outside the 6 yard box and the 3rd was wide of the goal. I feel they're too far our for him to come for them.

Saying that, would Gordon have stopped any of those? Maybe. Gordon a better shot stopper so I'd be tempted to bring him in on Wednesday. 

Edited by Rocky jamboa

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Nah, not for me. The 1st, 2nd and 5th are good finishes to be fair. Just inside the post. Not many keepers saving those. Maybe could have done better with the 5th with it being a tight angle. 

The 3rd and 4th were crosses outside the 6 yard box and the 3rd was wide of the goal. I feel they're too far our for him to come for them.

Saying that, would Gordon have stopped any of those? Maybe. Gordon a better shot stopper so I'd be tempted to bring him in on Wednesday. 

Both looping crosses land in the 6 yard box, we lost the winner to an identical cross last time there, he has to come for them. 
Gordon saves 1st and 5th. 
He does everything better than Clark and as you say should return on Wednesday. 

PortyBeach
On 24/02/2024 at 21:06, ducatiboy said:

Absolutely brutal, I can’t stand this consistent shit the bed against this lot…

I agree. Clement had his team fired up for this which I think shows he anticipated a difficult match 😳.

We needed warriors out there on Saturday to match that intensity and instead we got a naive, feckless, reaction.

The reasons for that is a big question for Naismith and his staff to answer. 
No disrespect (well, not too much 😊) to Hibs, but I don’t think we should measure our status in the Scottish game against them.

Winning derby matches is always sweet, but in my view it shouldn’t mask what was an abject failure at Ibrox in a match that should have been a platform for Hearts to make a statement of intent. 

TexasAndy

Surprised we lost?  No.  Surprised we got hammered?  A little bit.  Just disappointed at how easily we cave in against them and have done for a few seasons now.  The disappointment is if we play them in the Scottish Cup assuming we both get through, we won't go in to that withy any degree of confidence.  Anyway it's done and we move on and what better than a home derby to put this one to bed.

ArcticJambo
8 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Was a foul, a push on Kent by that Tam lad, clear as day and contributed to Kent mis clearing for the tap in. Of course rgey're seeminging to do the right think by going to VAR on a hand ball that was clearly not even in real time.

They're sleekit *****!

On 24/02/2024 at 23:44, FionaHmfc said:

Just skimming through the thread and read your post, thanks for sharing. It’s wonderful to read about the things players do for our fans.