Summer 24 Transfers - Vargas signs 5 year deal ( updated )

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

tian447

Dundee are looking to get Bakayoko on a permanent deal.

I would not be opposed to us trying to sneak in there; he could be a good hold up player for Shankland to feed off.  Big tall, strong lad who has a fair bit of pace to his game and seems to work hard.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• RustyRightPeg

• kingantti1874

• Batistuta87

Pasquale for King
On 18/04/2024 at 10:13, jamboinglasgow said:

Exactly, I am amazed people dont see this. You can make the argument that the recruitment team and management made a mistake recruiting him because we ended up playing a different style than he was suited for (though I think that came down to a lack of creative players with McKay getting injured and Lowry being poor, mixed with finding out almost every Premiership team below us this season decided to play ultra defensively against us.) Its also the case as others have said he is backup to Shankland, who as club captain never gets subbed and has played all bar two games this season.

I do think we are changing our style next season with the players we are bringing in, which I think suits Tagawa more (just look at Saturdays game, he made all the right runs but his team mates just never saw him or made the wrong pass.)

Also was reading tweets by Nareys Toe poker (a Scottish football blog) who do the worst 25 signings in the Premiership each year. He was putting up the top ten from the last 10 or so seasons, one I noticed was from 20/21 season which the top 10 featured Regan Charles-Cook. The next season things clicked and was one of the best players in the league. 

Its an absolute myth that teams have played ultra defensively against us, most have pushed up and squeezed the game because we don’t offer a threat in behind. Hardly any team has sat back for 90 minutes, even Livingston. 

13 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Was just wondering because I’ve noticed a few folk saying we’re competing with clubs down there but haven’t noticed anyone mentioned yet. Obviously doesn’t mean there isn’t interest though, I was just curious if any clubs had been named. 

You would have thought there would have been interest in Dhanda from English teams yet we seemed to manage to snap him up fairly easily so you never know. Can see Hibs and Aberdeen sniffing about him as well as ourselves.

Armstrong has created the most "big chances" in the league this season, (that's 25 big chances. Cochrane is our highest big chance contributer with 6) according to Fotmob. Those sort of numbers will attract some interest I'm sure.

He's second in assists with 10. I'd love for us to sign him. Imagine if Shankland stayed and he had Armstrong, Spittal and Dhanda (also a fully fit Mckay) supplying him with chances. 

I wonder if the uglies would take a punt on Armstrong? 

I'd fancy our chances if we were up against hibs and Aberdeen for his signature of that's who we are competing with.

JimmyCant
3 minutes ago, Hansel said:

I wonder if the uglies would take a punt on Armstrong? 

If he can play exclusively as a RWB maybe. Rangers actively looking for Taverniers successor and Celtic with Johnston dropping off in form quite a bit. I don’t think he’d be what they are looking for as an out and out winger though.

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Its an absolute myth that teams have played ultra defensively against us, most have pushed up and squeezed the game because we don’t offer a threat in behind. Hardly any team has sat back for 90 minutes, even Livingston. 

Completely disagree. They have opened up in the later half of the season, but Livingston, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone all did that to us in the first half of the season at Tynecastle alone. Thats not to say we should have changed things up and played better. I think we adapted to these teams as it went on and that meant we were more effective but our failure to get goals earlier meant we had a much harder time. We were also slow.

And the plan for teams was sit with many players behind the ball but catch us on the break, so I am not saying no one attacked us (except that one game v Livi,) we kept getting caught out early on.  

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Completely disagree. They have opened up in the later half of the season, but Livingston, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone all did that to us in the first half of the season at Tynecastle alone. Thats not to say we should have changed things up and played better. I think we adapted to these teams as it went on and that meant we were more effective but our failure to get goals earlier meant we had a much harder time. We were also slow.

And the plan for teams was sit with many players behind the ball but catch us on the break, so I am not saying no one attacked us (except that one game v Livi,) we kept getting caught out early on.  

:spoton:

HopeDiouf
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Add Dundee to the list that didn't - they certainly had a go when they came to Tynie.

27 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think we need a right back, centre back, two centre mids, winger and a striker. So that’s 6 players and that’s not including if the likes of Shankland and Cochrane were to leave.

With Rowles and Kingsley being able to play LB and Penrice coming in I can't see us signing another LB even if Cochrane leaves

jamboinglasgow
1 minute ago, HopeDiouf said:

Add Dundee to the list that didn't - they certainly had a go when they came to Tynie.

Yeah, I thought the first away game to Dundee I thought they sat back (though still managed to get more chances as we were poor.) But as you say they pushed more at the home game. I would also point to Killie when they played us the second time at home really pushed more, same with Ross County. Think you saw some clubs changing their attitude as either managers were sacked or they realised they had players who could attack more.

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah, I thought the first away game to Dundee I thought they sat back (though still managed to get more chances as we were poor.) But as you say they pushed more at the home game. I would also point to Killie when they played us the second time at home really pushed more, same with Ross County. Think you saw some clubs changing their attitude as either managers were sacked or they realised they had players who could attack more.

Add to that, we refuse to play to the strengths of our wingers (in behind), teams can afford to squeeze the game knowing we're likely going to hit Shankland and try to play off second balls. 

Could I honestly say what our style is? Probably not. 

We desperately need a midfielder with the nous to just occasionally clip one in behind. 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Most teams have pressed up onto us as with Shankland up top with Boyce/Grant/Lowry for company we have no threat in behind, St Johnstone away first day of the season are the only team that have sat back against us for 90 minutes. 
Motherwell for example pressed first half and when we brought Tagawa oh dropped back, giving us the space that we needed to play the style the manager wants to play. 
Especially in the first half of games we struggle to create chances, when teams tire and we put quicker attackers up top we play far better. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Add to that, we refuse to play to the strengths of our wingers (in behind), teams can afford to squeeze the game knowing we're likely going to hit Shankland and try to play off second balls. 

We desperately need a midfielder with the nous to just occasionally clip one in behind. 

Dhanda is that player hopefully 🤞 

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

i think the club agrees with you hence why we have signed Spittal and Dhanda 

RustyRightPeg
10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Dhanda is that player hopefully 🤞 

Could well be, saw him doing it against Rangers just over a week ago. The outside of the foot pass down the side of Goldson for the 2nd or 3rd goal was sublime. 

Leveins Battalion

Dhanda is class but we need some other options and different styles,we are so light in the Centre of the Park.Even at CH Rowles gets bullied by average size strikers,Beni and Devlin just bouncing off Lundstrum.

Dundee stuck Sylla on Cantwell and he never got a sniff all game.

I'd also like to see us sign something different up top,in games likes Sunday chuck a 6 foot 6 battering ram next to Shankland with Dhanda in behind.

We also lack the guile of a Left footed creator,Armstrong or McCowan the pick of the bunch in our league.

23 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Cough up and get Cameron.

That's the quality level we should be looking at now. It now has to be very much quality over quantity or we'll not see any improvement on what we offered on Sunday. 

RustyRightPeg
1 minute ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Dhanda is class but we need some other options and different styles,we are so light in the Centre of the Park.Even at CH Rowles gets bullied by average size strikers,Beni and Devlin just bouncing off Lundstrum.

Dundee stuck Sylla on Cantwell and he never got a sniff all game.

I'd also like to see us sign something different up top,in games likes Sunday chuck a 6 foot 6 battering ram next to Shankland with Dhanda in behind.

We also lack the guile of a Left footed creator,Armstrong or McCowan the pick of the bunch in our league.

Hoff could've went toe to toe with Lundstram, convinced of it - was a huge miss. Going by years past, an Adao type would be class. 

Physicality is the main one for me in the summer. Sick of us being bullied. We should be running over teams at Tynecastle.

Must buys in the summer are another Frankie Kent at CB, a physical experienced central midfielder and an experienced right back.

kingantti1874

I like Lysol Cameron, would absolutely take .  However we desperately need presence in the midfield.  Not sure he’s what we need 

Ricardo Quaresma
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I like Lysol Cameron, would absolutely take .  However we desperately need presence in the midfield.  Not sure he’s what we need 

Aye, Lysol would clean up in midfield :greggy:

MattyK82
24 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Unfortunate first name 😭😂

First and foremost we need a number 10 (and have for a long long time) who can run at defenders with the ball and support the strikers. The gap between the midfield and the front players on Sunday was such a big issue and that's why Shankland constantly had to play deeper than he should have been.

I'm confident that Dhanda will be an improvement on Grant, but whether he pushes us to the next level, only time will tell. 

Pasquale for King

I said we needed a real midfield general last summer, we still do. A RB the quality of Kingsley is required also. 
All other incomings depend on who leaves. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, stirlo said:

First and foremost we need a number 10 (and have for a long long time) who can run at defenders with the ball and support the strikers. The gap between the midfield and the front players on Sunday was such a big issue and that's why Shankland constantly had to play deeper than he should have been.

I'm confident that Dhanda will be an improvement on Grant, but whether he pushes us to the next level, only time will tell. 

I haven’t seen that much from him but he was doing exactly what you ask for against them a few weeks back. 

Pasquale for King
53 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Could well be, saw him doing it against Rangers just over a week ago. The outside of the foot pass down the side of Goldson for the 2nd or 3rd goal was sublime. 

Yeah he was good. Another wee guy though. 

Chillidigits

With lots of eyes watching on Sunday LS  didn't have one of his better games. Could mean interest in him has dampened a bit. If it contributes towards our asking price not being met I'm happy enough with that.

gregzy2k7

Wonder if Alan Campbell is still even a remote possibility? 

Out of contract in May, currently on loan at millwall from luton, Would imagine his wages would be the stumbling block though?

Oda be a JT
On 18/04/2024 at 14:55, OTT said:

This obviously isn't the right thread to share this on, but I saw this on Twitter and Stephen Humphrys really is a class act. A few posts earlier in the thread were negative towards his contributions for us, but honestly, I think he had a great time here. He clearly gets the club and if/when Shanks moves on, I can think of much worse replacements. What an amazing gesture, especially given how special the goal was to him personally. 

Also, what a ****ing goal that was 😍 

I know Andy personally, absolute tragedy what happened with his boy, heart really goes out to him.

An amazing gesture from Humphrys to send him that award ♥️

4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Frustrating thing is, we’ve got more spare money swilling about the club than any point in our history

Bloody good job that the hotel is being professionally and successfully run , and is already wildly exceeding your personal experience based projections :) 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

I said we needed a real midfield general last summer, we still do. A RB the quality of Kingsley is required also. 
All other incomings depend on who leaves. 

Totally agree. Hoping for someone reliable like Kingsley defensively firstly, and with a bit about them going forward. Someone with decent physicality and height would be a bonus.

We had a monstrous defence at the start of season 2015/16. Paterson, Ozturk, Augustyn, Rossi. Or similar. Not perfect but they won headers, did the physical aspect of their job really well and contributed with goals.

Basically, bring back (a defence of) big physical Hearts.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, TommyC said:

Totally agree. Hoping for someone reliable like Kingsley defensively firstly, and with a bit about them going forward. Someone with decent physicality and height would be a bonus.

We had a monstrous defence at the start of season 2015/16. Paterson, Ozturk, Augustyn, Rossi. Or similar. Not perfect but they won headers, did the physical aspect of their job really well and contributed with goals.

Basically, bring back (a defence of) big physical Hearts.

Yeah we certainly dont scare anyone at corners at the moment, haven’t since Paterson left. 

An upgrade on Forrest is an absolute necessity imo.

His inability to lift his head and play a simple square ball is killing us. This stuff happens every week with varying consequences, but in the sharp end of the cup against the OF, it’s inexcusable - any of the available pass options here results in a very high chance of scoring.

IMG_5492.jpeg

Rocky jamboa

Hopefully we sort out right back and central midfield in the summer. Don't know why it wasn't addressed last summer. 

We'll have a decent wedge of cash from euro league football and our cup run so hoping it will be invested in the good quality players we need to kick on

johnking123
5 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Hopefully we sort out right back and central midfield in the summer. Don't know why it wasn't addressed last summer. 

We'll have a decent wedge of cash from euro league football and our cup run so hoping it will be invested in the good quality players we need to kick on

No hotel or no side projects. Apparently all cash going to football side. That includes any benefactor money or player sales.  Wage bill will be close to £20 million in total for this season coming.

Edited by johnking123

1 minute ago, johnking123 said:

No hotel or no side projects. Apparently all cash going to football side. That includes any benefactor money or player sales.  Wage bill will be close to £20 million in total for this season.

Might not be enough . Hibs are going to have two million left over from their six million bail out from Foley and pals , and they are on another level 

johnking123
Just now, Sooks said:

Might not be enough . Hibs are going to have two million left over from their six million bail out from Foley and pals , and they are on another level 

They need that money to cover the cost of all there managers!!

8 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

They need that money to cover the cost of all there managers!!

They have just appointed a new technical director . Recommended by their new saviour 

A midfield general, RB and a pacy striker required along with Dhanda and Spittall would be a good window for me. 

The 3 still to be decided should be at a decent level/money spent. 

Lovecraft
1 hour ago, liam11 said:

His inability to lift his head and play a simple square ball is killing us. This stuff happens every week with varying consequences, but in the sharp end of the cup against the OF, it’s inexcusable - any of the available pass options here results in a very high chance of scoring.

IMG_5492.jpeg

What did he do here?

Just run towards the goal with his head down?

I can't remember.

tcjambo
59 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

No hotel or no side projects. Apparently all cash going to football side. That includes any benefactor money or player sales.  Wage bill will be close to £20 million in total for this season coming.

Infrastructure first. Players come and go. Budge and Levein etc need credit for sticking to a sustainable plan for the club and getting us to this position.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, liam11 said:

IMG_5492.jpeg

Yeah at no point during the run did he look up, surely just a squad player moving forward?

Pasquale for King
19 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

What did he do here?

Just run towards the goal with his head down?

I can't remember.

CB954A6C-981A-4E8C-89BA-365887995F0B.jpeg

5656D43E-AEE8-4FE7-8017-BA14724402DB.jpeg

375DFB22-C7EC-4163-93BB-52369085FF3C.jpeg

Edited by Pasquale for King

Lovecraft
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

CB954A6C-981A-4E8C-89BA-365887995F0B.jpeg

5656D43E-AEE8-4FE7-8017-BA14724402DB.jpeg

27FB721D-BDBF-4715-A336-3A38EE66FB2C.png

Hahahaha

Of course he did.

Cheers.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Infrastructure first. Players come and go. Budge and Levein etc need credit for sticking to a sustainable plan for the club and getting us to this position.

Ffs CL wasted millions on absolute duds and got us relegated, all signed off by Budge. 

tcjambo
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Ffs CL wasted millions on absolute duds and got us relegated, all signed off by Budge. 

Wouldn't expect anything else from you

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Lovecraft said:

Hahahaha

Of course he did.

Cheers.

Not really at the laughing about it stage, hes garbage but Is the managers pet project and will no doubt start on Saturday. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

Wouldn't expect anything else from you

What facts? Are you going to deny that?

tcjambo
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

What facts? Are you going to deny that?

Anderson,the main stand, Naismith, the academy now producing best team in their age group but you rave on.