Unsung Heroes / Cult Heroes?

gggggareth

Berrassobad
9 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Alan Gordon!   As those of a certain vintage would sing, "You can stick him up yer hole!" . . .   Although I am sure he is a really nice guy.

not with you mate - hes been dead a whiley - i look after hazel

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gggggareth

• The Real Maroonblood

• Berrassobad

• tian447

To me a cult hero is someone who will always be well liked amongst the fans despite not being a superstar, even only because of one performance or because the feeling was they “got” the club. Maybe not even that good overall, certainly not a legend but guaranteed they wouldn’t ever need to buy a pint in Gorgie.

Recent ones imo,

Olly Lee for his ER screamer
Dikamona for his warriors performance on one good leg that same game

Ozturk for the best derby goal ever

Milenkovic & Harry Cochrane for the 4-0 vs Celtic

Cowie for the effort he put in whenever he played 

Zeefuik for demolishing the Championship for that 4 odd months he was here

Berrassobad
57 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

More like a one game wonder - but what a game that was !!

Unsung heroes (or a bit over-shadowed by  widely loved heroes)  -

Jimmy Bone, Neil Berry, John Millar, Ryan Stevenson, Tosh McKInlay,  Scott Crabbe, Peter Haring.............

Was looking in my head for chuck - stretched off at his testimonial - after few minutes

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Berrassobad said:

my best mate Alan Gordon

Great player.

Miko. Never fully appreciated by us, though plenty stuck up for him. Hated by basically everyone in Scotland. Smashed that assistant ref, which I wouldn't usually like to see but in that instance it was fair enough. Scored one of my favorite derby goals. Cup winner.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Berrassobad said:

Thankyou - he was

Played in a very good Hibs side.

Berrassobad
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Played in a very good Hibs side.

pm me youll get in trouble 

Neil Pointon for me. At the end of the pre match warm up at Brockville he signalled to the Hearts fans and deliberately booted the balls out the ground. Ledge 😄

Rousset made his debut that day

gggggareth
3 hours ago, OTT said:

In recent years, I'd maybe say Don Cowie - I know he was well appreciated for his engine, but was also an absolute model professional. 

Like if you could design the ideal c32 year old winding his career down at Hearts, it would be Don Cowie every step of the way - I'm sure Souttar and others had a lot of praise for him. 

Do think at points how good and consistent a player he was was overlooked. Sort of like a Mikey Smith of midfield. 

In the current team, I'd say Alan Forrest, his workrate is phenomenal and sets a standard IMO. 

Don Cowie is a good shout. Consistent for us, felt like the model pro.

gggggareth
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Two points. 😄

- Drew Busby is not an unsung hero imo.  Just a hero to those of us of a certain vintage. 
- £37 🥸🥸

I'd agree Drew is a bonafide legend, not so much 'unsung' or cult. 

Aye it's not the cheapest, but the embroidery (and shirt) quality is really good. I suppose I could have got a mass-produced Haaland t-shirt for a tenner somewhere instead.  I liked the design, reminded me a bit of this Andre the giant one>

andre.gif

1 hour ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Alan Gordon!   As those of a certain vintage would sing, "You can stick him up yer hole!" . . .   Although I am sure he is a really nice guy.

I remember him as a ***** when he played for us, I also remember him scoring the weirdest goal for us against Raith Rovers one snowy night at Tynie. He stood on the 18yd line when the Raith goalie slipped on the snow when taking a bye kick. The ball hit Alan on the head and rebounded into the net with the goalie still on his back. It was the only goal in the game I think. Anyway we sold him to Dundee Utd for 8k and most of us were glad to see the back of him. Then Hibs signed him and Turnbull turned him into a deadly 30 goal a season striker! The transformation was incredible.

gggggareth
3 hours ago, Macros said:

Firstly, where did you get the t-shirt? I'd love one of them. Secondly, totally agree with OTT, Don Cowie is a great example of a professional footballer along with Michael Smith and Stevie Naismith. Looking back, we've had some great players who were perhaps past their peak years but still gave us all they could, Sandy Jardine and Alex MacDonald played such an important role in reversing our slump from the late 70's into the early 80's, I shudder to think where we could have ended up without their, and Wallace Mercer's, leadership. 

Jardine & MacDonald are great shouts!  Are they unsung though? They were heroes for me anyway :)

Got the shirt here pal: https://www.whatastramash.com/ 

gggggareth
2 hours ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Walter

You referring to Walter "Zico" Kidd perchance...? :)

feedtheroman2
19 minutes ago, gggggareth said:

You referring to Walter "Zico" Kidd perchance...? :)

Obviously 😀

ScottieMac17

Bednar, Brellier, Barr, Haring, Stephen Elliot and Larry Kingston all worth a shout in my opinion 

ScottieMac17
31 minutes ago, gggggareth said:

Don Cowie is a good shout. Consistent for us, felt like the model pro.

The highland James Milner 

Carl Fredrickson
3 hours ago, jkbam said:

Tommi Gronlund some of his tackles were a  thing of beauty. Think we only had him 1 season?

I remember we had a french midfielder for a season either the season before or after Tommi and he was class as well, no clue what his name was though 🤔 

Tommi joined us I think in October and was as hard a tackler as I have seen at Hearts. 

Was the Frech guy Vincent Guiran (sp?) - came with an incredible but his legs had gone. Only thing I can remember of his was a stunning free kick, which hit the bar. 

Song cracking shouts on this thread and mine would be Kenny Black for unsung hero and Brian Whittaker for cult hero. 

1. Sandy Clark, maybe not so much 'unsung' though.

2. Neil Berry from he same era. Hard, but not even a token gesture towards fair. 🙂

Polonia Gorgie

I like the Miko and Stevenson shouts, a cult hero for me would be Steve Fulton, after our 97/98 season I genuinely think he should have been capped by Scotland. He had some brilliant performances in a maroon shirt. 

Also...... Did anyone see the Bruno t-shirt?

gggggareth
19 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

I like the Miko and Stevenson shouts, a cult hero for me would be Steve Fulton, after our 97/98 season I genuinely think he should have been capped by Scotland. He had some brilliant performances in a maroon shirt. 

Also...... Did anyone see the Bruno t-shirt?

Baggio seems like a fair shout. A key part of a good Hearts period. He maybe does fall into the 'unsung' category, as you say, he went ignored by Scotland. 

Yes, the Bruno t-shirt is a belter too: https://www.whatastramash.com/products/bruno-t-shirt?variant=47526679511380

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Tommi joined us I think in October and was as hard a tackler as I have seen at Hearts. 

Was the Frech guy Vincent Guiran (sp?) - came with an incredible but his legs had gone. Only thing I can remember of his was a stunning free kick, which hit the bar. 

Song cracking shouts on this thread and mine would be Kenny Black for unsung hero and Brian Whittaker for cult hero. 

Yeah it was Guerin, thanks, although i think i remember him doing more than that,sure i remember an away game maybe motherwell where he played very well you could see he had been a class player but unfortunately was a bit past it.

Bobby Prentice, Kenny Aird or Eddie Thompson to think of some from my youth.

Edited by Busman2

9 hours ago, The Gorgie said:

Mahe

My first thought when I saw this thread. Class player and absolutely loved the full-blooded way he played the game. 

Alan Forest rapidly gets there of late.

But I always like Neil McFarlane or Tommy Gronlund 

TorinoJambo

Agree Willie Gibson. I started going regularly 1967/8 and can name Jim Townsend Davie Clunie and Chopper McLaren as among the "unsung" category..

Big Dave and the associated donkey chants.

Great bantz!

Edited by Rousset1

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, TorinoJambo said:

Agree Willie Gibson. I started going regularly 1967/8 and can name Jim Townsend Davie Clunie and Chopper McLaren as among the "unsung" category..

Jim Townsend in particular was a class player. 

8 hours ago, lost in space said:

Ian Black. Never shirked a challenge.

I would agree with this one. A very good player who was underrated, and did a damn good job with us. I still remember his goal versus Celtic that popped up off Majstorović's back in a 2-0 win where he scored from about 30 yards.   He later got absolutely halved by Ledley, who rightfully got a red card (and Celtic had the cheek to complain about it!). 

His shirt message at Easter Road is absolute cult-hero status confirming.

@Ian Black 8, you're right in here :lol:

53 minutes ago, maybolejambo said:

Ruben Palazuelos was a solid player.

I've still got a shirt in my wardrobe with Palazuelos on the back :lol:

Can't have been many of us that bought that! 

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s a small cult to be fair. Probably just me. 

I really liked him! I just don't think he quite fits the cult hero status, as he didn't do anything particularly memorable. 

Tommy Brown
9 hours ago, Berrassobad said:

my best mate Alan Gordon

Did AG consider himself Hearts or Them?

Tommy Brown
4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Ryan Stevenson and Neil Berry.

And as someone posted earlier. Wattle Kidd.

Ryan Stevenson in the 5 nil win v Kilmarnock is still the greatest all round performance I have ever seen from a Hearts player.

Beave1874
6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Would he not be a see you next Tuesday hero :lol:

Or at the end of the night!!

been here before

He was only here a couple of years and probably played 20 games at most but I always enjoyed Ally Mauchlens robust enthusiasm.

From recent times Jimmy Dunne made quite an impact in the short time he was here.

11 hours ago, hearts 4 the cup said:

This was the man I was going to say - proper cult hero 

Another going back a bit was Valois - what a one season wonder he was 

Loved Valois too mate, even the half season or even the first 5-1 he was outrageous.