Unsung Heroes / Cult Heroes?

gggggareth

gggggareth

I just got delivery of this t-shirt - embroidered Drew Busby on the chest. Totally love it. 

What players would you put into the "unsung hero" bracket at Hearts?

Maybe not the most consistent performers... maybe total g*sh most of the time... but you still liked them anyway!!  Or maybe players you think didn't get the adulation they deserved? 

I'd add Scott Crabbe to the list for starters... 

And for some reason I remember liking Ian Baird. But my mind may be playing tricks on me!  

busby2_small.png

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gggggareth

• The Real Maroonblood

• Berrassobad

• tian447

In recent years, I'd maybe say Don Cowie - I know he was well appreciated for his engine, but was also an absolute model professional. 

Like if you could design the ideal c32 year old winding his career down at Hearts, it would be Don Cowie every step of the way - I'm sure Souttar and others had a lot of praise for him. 

Do think at points how good and consistent a player he was was overlooked. Sort of like a Mikey Smith of midfield. 

In the current team, I'd say Alan Forrest, his workrate is phenomenal and sets a standard IMO. 

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, gggggareth said:

I just got delivery of this t-shirt - embroidered Drew Busby on the chest. Totally love it. 

Maybe not the most consistent performers... maybe total g*sh most of the time... but you still liked them anyway!!  Or maybe players you think didn't get the adulation they deserved? 

And for some reason I remember liking Ian Baird. But my mind may be playing tricks on me!  

busby2_small.png

Two points. 😄

- Drew Busby is not an unsung hero imo.  Just a hero to those of us of a certain vintage. 
- £37 🥸🥸

Firstly, where did you get the t-shirt? I'd love one of them. Secondly, totally agree with OTT, Don Cowie is a great example of a professional footballer along with Michael Smith and Stevie Naismith. Looking back, we've had some great players who were perhaps past their peak years but still gave us all they could, Sandy Jardine and Alex MacDonald played such an important role in reversing our slump from the late 70's into the early 80's, I shudder to think where we could have ended up without their, and Wallace Mercer's, leadership. 

21 minutes ago, gggggareth said:

busby2_small.png

3 minutes ago, Macros said:

Firstly, where did you get the t-shirt? I'd love one of them. Secondly, totally agree with OTT, Don Cowie is a great example of a professional footballer along with Michael Smith and Stevie Naismith. Looking back, we've had some great players who were perhaps past their peak years but still gave us all they could, Sandy Jardine and Alex MacDonald played such an important role in reversing our slump from the late 70's into the early 80's, I shudder to think where we could have ended up without their, and Wallace Mercer's, leadership. 

Just saw the link in your post, some cracking tops there 

Willie Gibson.  Never really got the credit he deserved.  Scored loads of goals in a mainly shit Hearts team but never really got the adulation that Busby or Donald Ford got.  

Der Kaiser
12 minutes ago, The Gorgie said:

Mahe

Loved when he played for us.

I'm sure I remember a ball thrown back from the Wheatfield for him.l to take a throw in and it bounced up and hit him right on the nose.

As the crowd gave a cheeky "Whaaaaaay" he just smiled and mouthed "**** off" back.

Bruno Aguar, worth a shout? I always thought he was a talented player. Also Brellier.:sweeet:

Go for it 1308
2 minutes ago, RedStarRiot said:

Another thread where folk show they don’t understand the term cult hero

Well don't leave us hanging oh clever one...give us an example?

We had some Czech boy, Rudolf something.  Fans certainly seemed to like him... 

:whistling:

Ryan Stevenson.

Left under a cloud first time around.

Returned under a cloud.

Redeemed himself.

Played his absolute ****ing heart out for us. Scored some important goals. Should have won the league Cup with us. Rammed it up the vermin.

He's not a legend but he was definitely a hero.

N Lincs Jambo
39 minutes ago, Cobblers said:

Willie Gibson.  Never really got the credit he deserved.  Scored loads of goals in a mainly shit Hearts team but never really got the adulation that Busby or Donald Ford got.  

Was going to post this too. Saw him score first half hat-tricks v Celtic (3-4 1976) and Killie (4-0 might have been that season or two seasons later). Never got the adulation as you say.

Ibrahim Tall. Condemned by some, including some management before he’d even kicked a ball, and turned out to be quite good. 

3 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Ryan Stevenson.

Returned under a cloud.

Redeemed himself.

Played his absolute ****ing heart out for us. Scored some important goals. Should have won the league Cup with us. Rammed it up the vermin.

This.

He tried to win a league cup final singlehanded for us.  Shameful ‘performance’ that day and it still annoys me. 

Berrassobad
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Two points. 😄

- Drew Busby is not an unsung hero imo.  Just a hero to those of us of a certain vintage. 
- £37 🥸🥸

Mate -what does the square thing mean - i dont do emojis - its just i see it and havent got a clue

Edited by Berrassobad

30 minutes ago, rory78 said:

John Millar 

This for me too. Really liked the guy. 

Philstampscleaner

Samuel Cammazola

Only played 8 times or something but didn't put a foot wrong. I really liked him but definitely think I'm in the minority hence I think this meets the (unspecified but understood) cult criteria.

Jamhammer
49 minutes ago, rory78 said:

John Millar 

This

Him and Chuck are always the first two names that pop into my head when I hear cult heroes

hearts 4 the cup
1 hour ago, May98 said:

OIP (1).jpeg

This was the man I was going to say - proper cult hero 

Another going back a bit was Valois - what a one season wonder he was 

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, Jamhammer said:

This

Him and Chuck are always the first two names that pop into my head when I hear cult heroes

That's the two that immediately came to mind for me. Neil Berry was a warrior.

36 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Ibrahim Tall. Condemned by some, including some management before he’d even kicked a ball, and turned out to be quite good. 

Don't think he quite fits the bill as a cult hero. 

A good player, yes, but not someone who you would be happy to see a statue of on the plaza, or part of a big wall mural of different players.  You'd definitely be thinking "wtf" if that happened. 

Just now, tian447 said:

Don't think he quite fits the bill as a cult hero. 

A good player, yes, but not someone who you would be happy to see a statue of on the plaza, or part of a big wall mural of different players.  You'd definitely be thinking "wtf" if that happened. 

It’s a small cult to be fair. Probably just me. 

1 minute ago, cauther col said:

Mike Galloway done a power of work scored a few vital goals

for his transfer deal too

AC Mallin_51
51 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Ryan Stevenson.

Returned under a cloud.

Redeemed himself.

Gave absolutely everything in that final v st Mirren. Hit the post twice for a hatrick and 3-3 aswell. The goal at ER the following season aswell is one of my favourite memories following hearts

Lone Striker
21 minutes ago, hearts 4 the cup said:

This was the man I was going to say - proper cult hero 

Another going back a bit was Valois - what a one season wonder he was 

More like a one game wonder - but what a game that was !!

Unsung heroes (or a bit over-shadowed by  widely loved heroes)  -

Jimmy Bone, Neil Berry, John Millar, Ryan Stevenson, Tosh McKInlay,  Scott Crabbe, Peter Haring.............

Jamstomorrow
51 minutes ago, Berrassobad said:

my best mate Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon!   As those of a certain vintage would sing, "You can stick him up yer hole!" . . .   Although I am sure he is a really nice guy.

Tommi Gronlund some of his tackles were a  thing of beauty. Think we only had him 1 season?

I remember we had a french midfielder for a season either the season before or after Tommi and he was class as well, no clue what his name was though 🤔