***Official Heart of Midlothian v Dundee Match Thread***

Tenor

Michael Stewart was saying on the radio post game that we can’t go on just winning games with last minute goals and lucky opportunities.  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• iantjambo

• Wee Mikey

• Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

joondalupjambo

At half time I loaded the In Play betting and actually put in a couple of quid for 3-2 however it was only 10/1 which seemed ridiculously low odds so did not do it🤣

What did the bookies know that we didn't 🤣🤣🤣

As horrible as the first half was it seems the same people haven’t learnt their lessons. It was a pleasant read. Naismith GTF and 

Oda ffs the highlights. :rofl:

7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

As horrible as the first half was it seems the same people haven’t learnt their lessons. It was a pleasant read. Naismith GTF and 

Oda ffs the highlights. :rofl:

Just read through it. Glad I was at the game and not watching at home or I'd have been one of those people. 

Maybe not Naismith GTF but I won't repeat what I said when Vargas went off for Oda 😁

ELITHEDUG
12 hours ago, poultry said:

Dexter to score anytime 12/1 WH.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

You Sir, are a genius. 

5 minutes ago, ELITHEDUG said:

You Sir, are a genius. 

Thank you, I had a cheeky wee fiver on him. Hope you put something on too. 🇱🇻

Ford Prentice
43 minutes ago, SecN said:

Michael Stewart was saying on the radio post game that we can’t go on just winning games with last minute goals and lucky opportunities.  

Listened to radio on the way back from the game. In discussing what changed second half Stewart failed to mention Tait at all, not a word, and said that Oda's shot was going wide but deflected into the net. Have had time for him in the past but increasingly talks a load of pish.

ELITHEDUG
4 minutes ago, poultry said:

Thank you, I had a cheeky wee fiver on him. Hope you put something on too. 🇱🇻

Not really a betting man, have the odd bet on the golfing majors but had a few quid on Hearts win and Dexter at 18/1. Well pleased 🙂

1 minute ago, ELITHEDUG said:

Not really a betting man, have the odd bet on the golfing majors but had a few quid on Hearts win and Dexter at 18/1. Well pleased 🙂

👍

Rocky jamboa

I didn't think we were all that bad in the first half! Had a poor 5 minute spell when they scored their first, then sloppiness cost the second. 

Fair play to Naismith for making the right subs at the right time. 

Dexter MOTM. Great first start. Looks a player. Got everything. Tait, Forrest and Oda deserve plaudits too. 

Fantastic second half and what a come back. 👏 

TexasAndy

It's a 90+ minute game, always has been.  Fergie's great Man U teams won many many games in the final quarter.  Yes we don't want to make a habit of falling behind and yes the first half was honking but you simply have to take the positives overall.  Character to come back from 2-0 down, the manager showing the ability to change a game, scoring 3 goals and Shanks not on scoresheet, Dexter looks a find, Tait looks like a young Colin Cameron.  

43 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Just read through it. Glad I was at the game and not watching at home or I'd have been one of those people. 

Maybe not Naismith GTF but I won't repeat what I said when Vargas went off for Oda 😁

I thought Vargas done well out there when we changed shape and to be fair to Oda so did he. I’m giving part of the credit for that to Dexter who should real desire to get forward and lead the way almost. 

17 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

I didn't think we were all that bad in the first half! Had a poor 5 minute spell when they scored their first, then sloppiness cost the second. 

Fair play to Naismith for making the right subs at the right time. 

Dexter MOTM. Great first start. Looks a player. Got everything. Tait, Forrest and Oda deserve plaudits too. 

Fantastic second half and what a come back. 👏 

I didn’t think we were that bad either and really should have been ahead before they scored. Both of their goals were easily avoidable though so clearly we weren’t on it as we should have been. 

27 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

Listened to radio on the way back from the game. In discussing what changed second half Stewart failed to mention Tait at all, not a word, and said that Oda's shot was going wide but deflected into the net. Have had time for him in the past but increasingly talks a load of pish.

Same, used to give gave him the benefit of the doubt but nowadays can’t stand him, he is just a bitter tosser.

21 minutes ago, One five said:

Same, used to give gave him the benefit of the doubt but nowadays can’t stand him, he is just a bitter tosser.

He got a bit better after he didn’t have Levein to beef about but he is still very much reporting against hearts negatively more often than not. 

Good to see some different players scoring. First time we have scored 3 in a league match this season.

Chuck Berry
6 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

I don't think we did. If Rowles played, Kingsley wouldn't have. I don't think Kingsley did anything wrong tonight. 

We do, the Kent/Rowles partnership has proven to be solid.  We haven't kept a clean sheet since Rowles heading for the AFC Cup, before he did, we had 3 clean sheets out of 4.

John Findlay

Didn't want to post immediate post match as the adrenaline is still flowing and the emotions are still to the fore.

1. First-half. The first half was poor in one aspect for me, defending.

Their second goal being the Prime example.

Poor pass to Lembikisa, weak tackle by him, and a complete brain fart from Frankie Kent. Cochrane, Halkett, and Kent had their poorest games of the season last, it happens, so let's hope that's them out the way now.

I thought attacking wise we actually created some decent chances in the first half. Kent header, should have buried it for me. Vargas through on goal and skying it over the bar. I know the foul was given against him, but if he puts it away, then he is making VAR check it.

Shankland put one over the bar from the middle of the box, that I thought he should have at least got on target.

First and second half, I thought we put in decent crosses into the box throughout.

2. Second half. Was mainly one way traffic towards the Gorgie Road End.

I credit the players and coaching staff both for that.

Nueinhoff(excuse the spelling) finish was an excellent finish and the second half last night was his best 45 minutes in a Hearts shirt to date.

The second goal was both an excellent cross by Forrest and a fine header by Lembikisa. Speaking of Dexter, the boy has energy to burn and a good turn of pace. Great to see someone go down the outside and put good crosses into the box.

This is something you won't see Alex Cochrane do on the left side as Cochrane doesn't have the pace to go on the outside of a man. You can tell Dexter is weak defending wise, his tackling is weak, and despite scoring a fine goal with his head, he lost all his aerial fuels when in direct competition with a Dundee player. So work to be done on the training ground there.

Was Motm for the attacking threat he posed all game.

Third goal was scored by a player that I thought was lucky to be on the pitch. I was baffled when the coaching team took of Vargas and put Oda on. Vargas was having a fine game down the right wing second half. Was beating their full back constantly.

The coaching staff obviously saw something that I didn't. I think that something was that Oda can use his left foot as well as his right. The shot that won us the game was from his left foot.

Macaulay Tait. Take a bow son, an excellent performance from you in both halves of the field last night, on that performance last night, you have a bright future ahead of you, well done.

Shankland. Played like a man who had just shaken off a heavy cold, his sharpness was missing last night, hopefully a good rest today and tomorrow, train Friday, and be fresher for Aberdeen on Saturday.

Despite several players having off games last night, their heads never went down and it was a tremendous comeback in the second half, I thought we deservedly merited the Three points in the end.

Dundee. I thought were a decent team, they play some good football and were worth their two goals. I wouldn't be surprised come the end of the season they make the top six. I don't like their owners but, if the players deserve it, they deserve it.

Ex member of the SaS

There is something seriously wrong with this team, Is it Tactics, Training or Team selection? I really don't know, but as evidenced by the second half these players are well capable of playing fast attacking football. First half we played too many pointless passes and the defense has no clue about moving the ball forward quickly. Lack of movement up front doesn't help and not enough players getting into the box. Lucky to get away with the howlers from Halket and the boss has to have a serious word with him, and the keeper for asking him to play out from the back, something he is obviously not able to do well.

We have been lucky the last couple of games but credit to the players they keep going to the end ( this is how Celtic win games ).

This was ( in my view ) a must win game, we needed to increase the gap and make third ours, just don't mess it up like last season.

Great result and some nice goals ( shame Shanks missed the penalty, but it was a poor kick, too close to their keeper, though I am sure he moved before the kick ). Put the Sheep to the sword and we are strolling third.

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

For his goal and thereafter.

your easily pleased if you think that first 60 mins though but each to their own

If you actually watched him he was doing a lot of work in the middle of the park first half, making passes, winning back balls, trying to drive forward. He was one of the better players in the first 45. Overall, a very good game from him and if he keeps producing like that he'll be an important player to us.

JudyJudyJudy
8 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Someone a few posts up reckons we've not come back to win from being down by two since 2002.

Oh, what a night.

Bring on the 🐏

I know it’s an incredible stat or shameful one ! Depends on your outlook 😂

Shooter McGavin

Huge credit for Naismith who found the answers in the 2nd half, and we completely flipped the game on it’s head 👏🏻

Just do that from the 1st minute from now on ffs! 😂

Ex member of the SaS
14 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Huge credit for Naismith who found the answers in the 2nd half, and we completely flipped the game on it’s head 👏🏻

Just do that from the 1st minute from now on ffs! 😂

Yes he deserves the credit as we have not had a manager that can look at a game and make the right changes. However that begs the question , is his selections right from the start. Hopefully he will learn and we can push on. We start too many games with pointless passes and too many backward passes. They showed last night we can push forward and score.

SectionDJambo
27 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Great result and some nice goals ( shame Shanks missed the penalty, but it was a poor kick, too close to their keeper, though I am sure he moved before the kick ).

Goalkeepers can move anytime, and as much as, they like now, as long as they don't come over the goal line before the ball is kicked.

Lawrence Shankland seems to have, temporary, lost his mojo at penalties, maybe in part down to him having so long to wait to get to take one this season. Some extra practice, and variation of placement, and he'll be fine. 

11 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

mmm, hate to piss on his chips but he had one superb moment. It turned the tide of the game right enough, hopefully he kicks on.

11 hours ago, Go for it 1308 said:

Can you blame them? 🤔

11 hours ago, maltese jambo said:

Oh come off it pal. By all accounts we were absolutely shocking and folk rightly not happy about the performance first half.

Great comeback and Credit where credit due in the end.

11 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the posts at 0 2. That first half performance was nothing short of a disgrace and probably the worst witnessed for a very long time. 

Still hilarious though seeing people frothing at half time only for us to get the win 👍

waterboy11

One of the biggest positives from last night was Nieuenhoffs goal. How many times this season have we had the ball on the edge of the box, and kept looking to pass, pass and then walk the ball into the net. Then the move breaks down as we give the ball away or turn and pass back to the half way line.

Finally, a bit of space was created and it was a great finish. More players should have the confidence to have a shot from the edge of the box - don't lash at it, and hit the target. Anything could happen, straight in, deflection, keeper saves and spills - we've usually got at least 2 players sniffing around the box so anything the keeper spills there's a good chance we'd pick up the loose ball

colinmaroon
12 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Goalkeepers can move anytime, and as much as, they like now, as long as they don't come over the goal line before the ball is kicked.

Lawrence Shankland seems to have, temporary, lost his mojo at penalties, maybe in part down to him having so long to wait to get to take one this season. Some extra practice, and variation of placement, and he'll be fine. 

Hit the ball high.

Ian Black 8

For me 1st half was poor.. credit 2 Naisy changed it about in the 2nd half and we got the win.. a think a year or so ago that game would’ve been dead n buried and there’s no chance we would’ve won that but good 2 see 3 different scorers last night and no just Shankland scoring all the goals for us 😂 wee shout out for Hoff thought he struck the ball well for his goal been a bit critical towards him this year and when ur chasing a game 2-0 down it’s easy to pass the ball to someone else as he usually does hopefully that brings a bit of bite and confidence for him now 👍🏼👍🏼

PapaShango
2 hours ago, SecN said:

I would take it every week! 

We have a horrible recent record against Dundee, lost to them a couple of seasons ago and drew with them as well. First half is probably as poor as I've seen us for a long time, especially our defending which we have relied on all season. We were all over the place, Halkett and Kent were both really poor first half, Kent improved but Halkett was dreadful all evening and lucky not to give away a penalty with that challenge at 2-2. The midfield was so static first half and has been pretty much all season. Tait was the difference, kept it simple and moved it forward then found space for himself, something none of our other midfielders done until he came on. From the little I have seen of him, he looks streets ahead of Denholm, although both are different. Looks like he has a wand of a left foot and gets stuck in to boot. This is what I want to see at Hearts, play our youth players and see if they can make the step up rather than sign dross from abroad or play another teams academy players. Well done to Naismith to have the guts to throw some of them in. 

Horatio Caine

We play Dundee again very soon, at Dens. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Skacelsid

Maybe we can now be playing to win from the start instead of this slow, safe passing game we complain about, teams are sitting in and have time to do so, but we are playing our part in that with our slow build up, that normally starts from the the GK, and the likes of Beni then slows it down further. Dexter really helped and hopefully he is an example of what we need. Let the players go for it from the start, it will also make us a better watch. I hope the lesson was learned last night that we can play with a high tempo from the start. Oh and well done.

King prawn
3 hours ago, SecN said:

Someone invite him to the “would you accept a 1-0 win every week?” thread 

Ex member of the SaS
38 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Still hilarious though seeing people frothing at half time only for us to get the win 👍

If you were happy with how the game was progressing ( first half ) then you must have been catatonic.

Chuck Berry
36 minutes ago, waterboy11 said:

One of the biggest positives from last night was Nieuenhoffs goal. How many times this season have we had the ball on the edge of the box, and kept looking to pass, pass and then walk the ball into the net. Then the move breaks down as we give the ball away or turn and pass back to the half way line.

Finally, a bit of space was created and it was a great finish. More players should have the confidence to have a shot from the edge of the box - don't lash at it, and hit the target. Anything could happen, straight in, deflection, keeper saves and spills - we've usually got at least 2 players sniffing around the box so anything the keeper spills there's a good chance we'd pick up the loose ball

This 

Section Q

Big result last night, and look where we are...........

3rd place and 14 points in front of Hibs, who's manager claims he's turned their season round.

Screenshot_20240124_173622_Chrome.jpg

Chuck Berry

We can't seem to shake starting slowly.  VAR chalking off early goals has saved us a bit recently but not last night.  That is Naismith's biggest challenge, start the game like you finish it. We enjoyed a lot of the ball but did very little with it.

Defensively we were shakey all game, I'll say it again, we miss Rowles.  Halkett for me is a bit of a weak link, he seems to just lose the plot at times.  Like Beni, it may take him some time to get back upto speed.

Good to see Hof improving with every game. Naismith is a fan but says it takes time for a guy like that to settle and understand the club.  I think he's getting there.

Dexter a revelation! just what we need.  Didn't see too much defensively and that was apparently a weakness when he was at Rotherham, but let's see what the coaching team can do with him. Taking on his man and getting himself or the ball into the box is exactly what we need, on both sides of the pitch.

Tait strolled onto the pitch like it was a B game. This is what he has been doing for them all season and it was fantastic to see him take that into the first team. Reminds me a bit of Billy Gilmour.  Let's nurture him and not expect too much too soon. He is a talent, but he's 17 and will make mistakes, but he's someone we can maybe get a little excited about.

Another Shanks penalty miss, there's maybe a bit too much going on in his head at the moment with previous misses and transfer stuff.  Get Kingsley on them.

First comeback win from 2-0 down since 2000 apparently. Good to see, but not great for the nerves.

No Idle Talk
34 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

We play Dundee again very soon, at Dens. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

If the two games we've had against them so far are any indicator, it won't be easy! 

John Findlay
11 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Big result last night, and look where we are...........

3rd place and 14 points in front of Hibs, who's manager claims he's turned their season round.

Screenshot_20240124_173622_Chrome.jpg

Results don't go their way tonight, and they could be in the bottom Six come 10.00pm tonight.

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

We can't seem to shake starting slowly.  VAR chalking off early goals has saved us a bit recently but not last night.  That is Naismith's biggest challenge, start the game like you finish it. We enjoyed a lot of the ball but did very little with it.

Defensively we were shakey all game, I'll say it again, we miss Rowles.  Halkett for me is a bit of a weak link, he seems to just lose the plot at times.  Like Beni, it may take him some time to get back upto speed.

Good to see Hof improving with every game. Naismith is a fan but says it takes time for a guy like that to settle and understand the club.  I think he's getting there.

Dexter a revelation! just what we need.  Didn't see too much defensively and that was apparently a weakness when he was at Rotherham, but let's see what the coaching team can do with him. Taking on his man and getting himself or the ball into the box is exactly what we need, on both sides of the pitch.

Tait strolled onto the pitch like it was a B game. This is what he has been doing for them all season and it was fantastic to see him take that into the first team. Reminds me a bit of Billy Gilmour.  Let's nurture him and not expect too much too soon. He is a talent, but he's 17 and will make mistakes, but he's someone we can maybe get a little excited about.

Another Shanks penalty miss, there's maybe a bit too much going on in his head at the moment with previous misses and transfer stuff.  Get Kingsley on them.

First comeback win from 2-0 down since 2000 apparently. Good to see, but not great for the nerves.

Agree but Kingsley missed the only penalty hes taken so far. Not sure who should take them tbh. 

42 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

If you were happy with how the game was progressing ( first half ) then you must have been catatonic.

There is quite a range of emotion between happy, catatonic, and absolutely losing the head and calling for Budge and Savage to be hung, drawn and quartered. I was annoyed at half time but after a quick glance at the match thread some of the angrier posts gave me a laugh.

The conditions probably played a part in their second goal last night. But when you've got conditions like that, there are inevitably going to be mistakes, which means the priority should be to play as little of the game in your own half as possible. Last night was definitely not a night for slow build up from the back.

Credit to the players and the manager though for the second half performance. Tait was outstanding and although I've been critical of Oda, there's no disputing he made a big impact when he came on last night.

Phil D. Corners

A small thing… but it’s the first time we have scored 3 goals in a league game this season. 

davemclaren
43 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

A small thing… but it’s the first time we have scored 3 goals in a league game this season. 

Could have been more as well. 

Rocky jamboa
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

I didn’t think we were that bad either and really should have been ahead before they scored. Both of their goals were easily avoidable though so clearly we weren’t on it as we should have been. 

Yeah, poor defending on our part for both goals but to be fair, decent finishes from them. The second one especially was sloppy on our part. 

Go for it 1308
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

I would take it every week! 

We have a horrible recent record against Dundee, lost to them a couple of seasons ago and drew with them as well. First half is probably as poor as I've seen us for a long time, especially our defending which we have relied on all season. We were all over the place, Halkett and Kent were both really poor first half, Kent improved but Halkett was dreadful all evening and lucky not to give away a penalty with that challenge at 2-2. The midfield was so static first half and has been pretty much all season. Tait was the difference, kept it simple and moved it forward then found space for himself, something none of our other midfielders done until he came on. From the little I have seen of him, he looks streets ahead of Denholm, although both are different. Looks like he has a wand of a left foot and gets stuck in to boot. This is what I want to see at Hearts, play our youth players and see if they can make the step up rather than sign dross from abroad or play another teams academy players. Well done to Naismith to have the guts to throw some of them in. 

Does Michael  Stewart ever apply that comment to the old firm? Knob

John Findlay

Here are the Sky Sports stats from last night. Make of them what you will 

Screenshot_20240124-131938~2.png

Screenshot_20240124-132012~2.png

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

We're not very good at hitting the target? 

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Think they clearly show the correct team won. 

Tokyo Drifter

Few thoughts:

1/ How did Vargas miss?

2/ That McGhee goal shouldn't have stood - the Sportscene 'line' showed the Dundee player clearly offside.

3/ Oda scored a great goal. Well done, wee man.