Beni Baningime ( merged )

Bazzas right boot

3 minutes ago, Valois No1 said:

Hmmmmm. Na. I know this won’t be popular but I do think Beni is overrated Terrible at going forward. Can’t head a ball. Not got a good range of passing. Not hugely fast. That’s his negatives.

He is very good at reading the game, good positional sense, decent short range passing and good at breaking the attacks down. These qualities are fairly in abundance with lots of players though.

I want him to stay as do think there is a place for him but it’s not like losing Kent, Halket or Shanks. I do think we would struggle to get at least the same in. Just my opinion. 

I agree with all of this. 

The sun does absolutely not shine out of his arse - he's a very good defensive midfielder, but the problem is that bigger and better clubs want more well rounded players that can contribute to attacks and not just win the ball and move it on. Players that can take responsibility of making something happen on the ball. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this to drag him down or anything like that. He has shown glimpses of being able to do that, but too often he's just playing short passes and not looking for the quick switch, or finding a runner to play through. I can only think of the Shankland goal against Motherwell where he's really looked for that forward pass and its came off. Not to say it hasn't happened before, but I don't think he's showing he's a very well rounded midfielder in the attack/defend sense - he can do it, but its almost reluctant. Also absolutely no use in front of goal either. 

I think he should sign a 2/3 year extension with a view of getting another 12 months of solid football under his belt and really focusing in on improving his attacking game. Make a team down south pay for him. Otherwise, I think he'll disappear into a Sunderland or Stokes squad and not be used to the extent he should be. 

Off the top of my head, Baccus & Jeando Fuchs could be viable replacements if the need arises. Maybe not as good, but not a massive drop off either. 

Firmly believe his best opportunity is to stay put. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fozzyonthefence

• Bazzas right boot

• Sooks

• GinRummy

RustyRightPeg

Beni reminds me of Makelele. Didn't work out too badly for him.

Bongo 1874

Beni I like.

Would play him defensive midfield in a 433.

If he doesn't sign a new deal he's easily replaced.

Just need to get the finger out.

9 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Beni reminds me of Makelele. Didn't work out too badly for him.

Yip . Absolutely who he reminds me of too , just a different frame . I think some people ( not all ) are preparing themselves for when he goes with this stuff 

Watt-Zeefuik
53 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I’m the same.  We’ve done without him for 18 months and we’ll do without him when he’s gone.  He doesn’t look the player he was before his injury and I’m not fussed whether he stays or goes. It’s an attacking midfielder that should be priority along with a RB. 

I'm not quite there. I think he's been great the last few games and I hope he stays. I just think no news on that front may not be bad news.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, ericb said:

I would say it is 100% guaranteed we will (or have already) offer him a deal.

A pointless exercise unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Bye bye Beni

Beni goodbye 

Sing that to him if he’s kicking about hospitality after the Aberdeen game 😀

"When asked to clarify his "happy to sign" remark, Baningime added: "It's a really hard one. I will say this honestly: I have aspirations to play right at the top, but I also know that I've been injured for 16 months. I'm not in any rush to go anywhere."

Reality - Hearts is the highest level for his future aspirations.

Just now, H2 said:

"When asked to clarify his "happy to sign" remark, Baningime added: "It's a really hard one. I will say this honestly: I have aspirations to play right at the top, but I also know that I've been injured for 16 months. I'm not in any rush to go anywhere."

Maybe he feels he owes some loyalty to the club for supporting him through his injury and back to something near his old form.

He could sign a new deal which allows him to leave subject to the right offer for him and the club if he so wishes.

I would love him to stay.

RustyRightPeg

I'd be gutted if we lost him for nothing.

Really do love him, both as a player and personality. I love his reactions when we score a belter, he's usually the one with his hands on his head in disbelief. Did it recently when Shanks scored the half volley into the top bin, but then he also gets proper pumped up like he did at Easter Road when we scored.

One of my favourite players of recent times, just gutted I haven't seen more of him due to injury.

14 minutes ago, H2 said:

Over the years I’ve got the impression agents just fill footballers heads full of shite. 

I like Beni but he won’t play top league English football. 

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Over the years I’ve got the impression agents just fill footballers heads full of shite. 

I have seen far worse players do exactly that tbf

RustyRightPeg
16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He already has tbf, but I can't see him doing it again. 

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

He already has tbf, but I can't see him doing it again. 

Aye, I actually knew that so should have been clearer 👍. Meant in the future. 

Perth to Paisley

I think he will go... but I would be delighted if he didn't.

During his extended injury period he will have realised that his career is a short one and could end soneer than he hoped. He will go to  whoever offers him the most money short term to ensure his future. When he joined he was happy enough to take a wage cut on the basis he would rocket back up, very quickly.

That opportunity has gone.

lost in space

I would be sorry to see him go as he is the BEST I have seen at "stealing" the ball without giving a foul away- but he is not a player who has it all.

Don't get me wrong - that is a fantastic skill. Also, his "turns" are particularly good - but then he passes backwards.

He can get about the park and make defensive headers in midfield BUT -

his passing (apart from short back or sideway) is poor.

He doesn't have great vision.

As for shooting -pathetic.

I will miss his very good talents - but hope we can find a defensive midfield player who can get his head up and look for a forward pass.

DalryJambo

Doesn't the trend of high intensity and high press game in the EPL make him less effective there than ever?  

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I would be sorry to see him go as he is the BEST I have seen at "stealing" the ball without giving a foul away- but he is not a player who has it all.

Don't get me wrong - that is a fantastic skill. Also, his "turns" are particularly good - but then he passes backwards.

I will miss his very good talents - but hope we can find a defensive midfield player who can get his head up and look for a forward pass.

You must blink a lot at the football. 

34 minutes ago, lost in space said:

He passes forwards plenty . Picks a good through ball 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Worse players than Beni have reached top league English football, he’s still young, reads the game like a player of far more experience, has exceptional ball control and is committed, confident and determined. It’s taking him time to get back to where he was after a long layoff that couldn’t have been worse timed for him but he’s growing in confidence every week and looking more like the Beni of old. If his injury woes are behind him and he keeps improving there’s no reason why he can’t make it to the top level, he’s already been close with Everton.

4 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Worse players than Beni have reached top league English football, he’s still young, reads the game like a player of far more experience, has exceptional ball control and is committed, confident and determined. It’s taking him time to get back to where he was after a long layoff that couldn’t have been worse timed for him but he’s growing in confidence every week and looking more like the Beni of old. If his injury woes are behind him and he keeps improving there’s no reason why he can’t make it to the top level, he’s already been close with Everton.

He’s not good enough is the reason I don’t think he’ll get back there. He’s got some great parts to his game but I think the English championship will be as high as he’ll go. 

lost in space
11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You must blink a lot at the football. 

Or maybe dozed off and missed Beni making a 40 yard FORWARD pass. Must have also missed his thundering shots from outside the box.

He is very good at certain things and great to watch - but he is limited.

If you can't see that - well, I wouldn't be at all surprised..........

lost in space
11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

He passes forwards plenty . Picks a good through ball 

He is "risk averse". Not usually a bad thing for a defensive mid - but he can take to the extreme.

I just feel that he has such ability, that he could do more going forward.

1 hour ago, H2 said:

One more injury could spoil his chances of a move down south. 

kingantti1874
54 minutes ago, lost in space said:

he can’t pass forward? He doesn’t have vision. Never fails to surprise me how much I disagree with people.

You do have a point in shooting, physically he could be stronger as well

though if he had these attributes he would never have been here in the first place 

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, H2 said:

Reading between the lines here, he would like to play in the premiership or  top championship club, feels he is good enough, but not had the chance to prove that due to being out injured for so long, so unlikely for one of those clubs to come in for him at the moment.

Wonder if we could offer him an improved deal, with a relatively modest release fee (£3m or so) if a Premier or championship team come in for him? Would also keep the bigot sisters away.

I really like Beni so hope we do all we can to keep him. If he wants to go though, not much we can do, and would have been too much ofna risk to have extended his contract before now as didn't know how he would come back after his injury.

2 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Or maybe dozed off and missed Beni making a 40 yard FORWARD pass. Must have also missed his thundering shots from outside the box.

He is very good at certain things and great to watch - but he is limited.

If you can't see that - well, I wouldn't be at all surprised..........

This not passing forward stuff is just patently not true mate . Genuinely think you must be at it . His forward passes and through balls set up a few goals and attempts . Off the top of my head he started the movement for Boyces goal at St Johnstone with a forwards short pass infield . What game was it where he passed it to Shanks for a good attempt from a central position ? Was it the Derby ? Honestly finding it difficult to narrow it down he passes forward a lot over different distances and creates chances by doing so 

lost in space
43 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

he can’t pass forward? He doesn’t have vision. Never fails to surprise me how much I disagree with people.

You do have a point in shooting, physically he could be stronger as well

though if he had these attributes he would never have been here in the first place 

I don't think I said he "cant" pass forward. He just chooses not to, too often.

Agree, if he did make good forward passes and could shoot - he would be in EPL.

2 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I will give you the shooting bit but the forward passing thing just simply isn’t true . He passes forwards plenty and more often than he does backwards . This is a total kickfact about his backwards passes 

lost in space
41 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This not passing forward stuff is just patently not true mate . Genuinely think you must be at it . His forward passes and through balls set up a few goals and attempts . Off the top of my head he started the movement for Boyces goal at St Johnstone with a forwards short pass infield . What game was it where he passed it to Shanks for a good attempt from a central position ? Was it the Derby ? Honestly finding it difficult to narrow it down he passes forward a lot over different distances and creates chances by doing so 

I didn't say he has never made a forward pass.

A "few" goals???

"Passes forward a lot"?

He has not, in my opinion, done enough, when turning defence into attack.

VERY good at breaking up opponents attacks. That his main job.

He has real talent - for me, doesn't do enough.

I hope he stays but won't be too disappointed if he goes.

1 minute ago, lost in space said:

I didn't say he has never made a forward pass.

A "few" goals???

"Passes forward a lot"?

He has not, in my opinion, done enough, when turning defence into attack.

VERY good at breaking up opponents attacks. That his main job.

He has real talent - for me, doesn't do enough.

I hope he stays but won't be too disappointed if he goes.

I am not disagreeing with anything other than the backwards passing bit . He passes forwards a lot and sets up chances quite often when he does 

lost in space
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I will give you the shooting bit but the forward passing thing just simply isn’t true . He passes forwards plenty and more often than he does backwards . This is a total kickfact about his backwards passes 

I don't have the stats to prove whether he passes back more than forward.

What I totally do say is - " he passes back more often than he should and too often takes the easy option".

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, lost in space said:

I think that Devlin is better at stealing the ball / winning tackles but Beni is obviously more comfortable with the ball.  

I know Wiki isn’t always correct but if it is his lack of game time for someone who is 26 later this year is astonishing.  

IMG_1061.jpeg

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That is also a “kickfact”.  Sorry, but he offers very little going forward and much less than Devlin, who is also a defensive midfielder.  He is a better footballer, granted but Devlin has been much more important to the team. 

7 minutes ago, lost in space said:

I don't have the stats to prove whether he passes back more than forward.

What I totally do say is - " he passes back more often than he should and too often takes the easy option".

I think we will probably just have to agree to disagree on this one as I can not be bothered going through all the highlights , but he makes a lot of really good defence beating passes 

6 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

That is also a “kickfact”.  Sorry, but he offers very little going forward and much less than Devlin, who is also a defensive midfielder.  He is a better footballer, granted but Devlin has been much more important to the team. 

It really isnt, I dont know why people are perpetuating this myth . It must be confirmation bias or something 

7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Totally different players - Beni is much more composed & disciplined, positionally aware, technically good on the ball whereas Devlin is like a terrier who doesn’t have the same ability or discipline but presses more and forces mistakes higher up the pitch, it’s why they both work well together.

pettigrewsstylist
5 hours ago, OTT said:

I agree with all of this. 

The sun does absolutely not shine out of his arse - he's a very good defensive midfielder, but the problem is that bigger and better clubs want more well rounded players that can contribute to attacks and not just win the ball and move it on. Players that can take responsibility of making something happen on the ball. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this to drag him down or anything like that. He has shown glimpses of being able to do that, but too often he's just playing short passes and not looking for the quick switch, or finding a runner to play through. I can only think of the Shankland goal against Motherwell where he's really looked for that forward pass and its came off. Not to say it hasn't happened before, but I don't think he's showing he's a very well rounded midfielder in the attack/defend sense - he can do it, but its almost reluctant. Also absolutely no use in front of goal either. 

I think he should sign a 2/3 year extension with a view of getting another 12 months of solid football under his belt and really focusing in on improving his attacking game. Make a team down south pay for him. Otherwise, I think he'll disappear into a Sunderland or Stokes squad and not be used to the extent he should be. 

Off the top of my head, Baccus & Jeando Fuchs could be viable replacements if the need arises. Maybe not as good, but not a massive drop off either. 

Firmly believe his best opportunity is to stay put. 

Where im at. Supposedly bigger club, better ££, less football, very probably no euro comps, not a full Tynie.

Depends what individuals want out the game i suppose.

26 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I think that Devlin is better at stealing the ball / winning tackles but Beni is obviously more comfortable with the ball.  

I know Wiki isn’t always correct but if it is his lack of game time for someone who is 26 later this year is astonishing.  

IMG_1061.jpeg

We've had quite a few players in recent times who've not had a lot of game time for their age. Maluary Martin the most ridiculous case of all. He had 110 career appearances when he joined us at age 29 on a 3.5 year deal. Alan Forrest had almost 3x that number of appearances by the time he was 25.

Beni has been unfortunate with injury. But you're spot on regarding his lack of games given his age. 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, lost in space said:

Forward passes I think is becoming a bit of myth amongst our support. Before you can make a pass someone needs to make a run.  All too often we are very static.  I think the lack of forward passes is actually less to do with midfield than the forwards.  

I do agree he has weakness physically he’s not EPL, speed he’s not EPL and shooting he’s not EPL.

i just disagree on the forward passes thing. If they make the run he will find them .  If 

Lone Striker
58 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

IMG_1061.jpeg

Wow..  So he'd only played 11 first team games in 4 years before he came to Hearts ?       How come ?  Injured a lot ? 

lost in space
15 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Forward passes I think is becoming a bit of myth amongst our support. Before you can make a pass someone needs to make a run.  All too often we are very static.  I think the lack of forward passes is actually less to do with midfield than the forwards.  

I do agree he has weakness physically he’s not EPL, speed he’s not EPL and shooting he’s not EPL.

i just disagree on the forward passes thing. If they make the run he will find them .  If 

You make a good point - that the forwards are often not in space or are mot making runs.

However, too often, I don't think Beni even looks up to see what is available - just knocks it back, without looking. This can be ok - as the receiving player is facing forward but there have been too many times, when Beni could have turned and moved forward.

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

It really isnt, I dont know why people are perpetuating this myth . It must be confirmation bias or something 

It’s not a myth, I just use my eyes.  If he does play a forward pass it’s likely to be a simple 5 / 10 yard pass rather than an assist type pass.  I like him but he’s hardly played a game in around 18 months.  He’s a good defensive midfielder but defensively we’re very good without him, our problems are further forward and RB. 

Fozzyonthefence
32 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Wow..  So he'd only played 11 first team games in 4 years before he came to Hearts ?       How come ?  Injured a lot ? 

I’ve no idea if that’s correct but yeah, only 11 league games in 4 years is incredible if true.  

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

It’s not a myth, I just use my eyes.  If he does play a forward pass it’s likely to be a simple 5 / 10 yard pass rather than an assist type pass.  I like him but he’s hardly played a game in around 18 months.  He’s a good defensive midfielder but defensively we’re very good without him, our problems are further forward and RB. 

Go and watch the highlights of games he has played recently . The forward pass thing is a total kickfact 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, boag1874 said:

Totally different players - Beni is much more composed & disciplined, positionally aware, technically good on the ball whereas Devlin is like a terrier who doesn’t have the same ability or discipline but presses more and forces mistakes higher up the pitch, it’s why they both work well together.

I do like them playing together but don’t think our manager does.  

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Go and watch the highlights of games he has played recently . The forward pass thing is a total kickfact 

How many assists has he had?

• davemclaren changed the title to Beni Baningime ( merged )