*** official match thread - the Spartans v Heart Of Midlothian ***

Hampden Demolition

I’d imagine television will dictate the venue … if selected (for tv) I’m sure it will be played at a big venue in Edinburgh - the gate receipts and TV money will be massive!

I predict Fester Road at a random time, Friday or Monday night or Sunday early or late!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• iantjambo

• Wee Mikey

• Hearts007

14 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Well it is, if the ground is considered unsuitable which really boils down to safety reasons or if it is being used for another purpose  eg Fort William v Clydebank in the Prelimenary Round where Claggan Park was hosting a Ben Nevis race, after being initially moved to Golspie it was moved back again with an 8.00pm ko.

The home club cannot request a move simply because they can sell an extra few thousand tickets at another venue. Generally speaking if a ground in Licenced (which they all are) it wont be moved.

That's not what the rules states though. They say;

"A home club shall notify the Board in the event that it considers that its Registered Ground is unsuitable, for whatever reason, for the playing of a match."

As such it looks like thy could make that application for any number of scenarios/reasons but the Board then have sole authority to make the final decision.

For what its worth I don't think the game will be moved.

Just now, Jambo-Fox said:

I’d imagine television will dictate the venue … if selected (for tv) I’m sure it will be played at a big venue in Edinburgh - the gate receipts and TV money will be massive!

I predict Fester Road at a random time, Friday or Monday night or Sunday early or late!

if TV dictates the venue I very much doubt it will be moved. 

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Total bobbins

fabienleclerq
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

I think Spartans would stand to gain an extra £50,000 or so by moving it.  A hell of a lot of cash for them.  They should first wait to find out the date of the tie and if it's on TV.  Saturday,  not on TV,  no brainer.  

It'd be more than that surely, they'd be daft not to move it imo although I like going to the wee grounds.

20 minutes ago, ceefax said:

We play Dundee at Tynecastle on the Tuesday after so if our game is moved for TV it will probably be Friday night or Saturday lunch time. 

Cup ties get preference over league.

Hearts v Dundee would get moved if TV decides Monday night

12 hours ago, maroonsgotop said:

That's not what the rules states though. They say;

"A home club shall notify the Board in the event that it considers that its Registered Ground is unsuitable, for whatever reason, for the playing of a match."

As such it looks like thy could make that application for any number of scenarios/reasons but the Board then have sole authority to make the final decision.

For what its worth I don't think the game will be moved.

Fancying a move to a larger stadium to sell more tickets does not fall under "considers that its Registered Ground is unsuitable".  If they tried it, the SFA would throw the request straight back at them.

This rule was specifically brought in to manage these sort of requests. They've worded it so as not to make it as blunt, but effectively it's the same thing.  If the Police are involved and think there's a risk attached to playing the game at the registered ground, then that's where the SFA have a decision to make.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, rory78 said:

Dundee Utd played at Ainslie Park in league Cup in July with no issues so can't see it being moved 

There were issues Dundee Utd fans were giving grief to their players walking into changing rooms after getting pumped lol.

1 hour ago, rory78 said:

Dundee Utd played at Ainslie Park in league Cup in July with no issues so can't see it being moved 

Darvel played Aberdeen at home last season with a 4,000 crowd.  Darvel is a lot less suitable for that sort of game than Ainslie Park.

The Treasurer
39 minutes ago, Prehen said:

What a great game to show on tv. Hope the BBC selects it.

Viaplay will pick the two arse cheeks games, so BBC will have the pick of the rest 

Horatio Caine
5 hours ago, rory78 said:

Plenty issues. They got beat!

No chance it gets moved. They are a L2 team, not non league. Their stadium is modern, up to SPFL requirements and holds just under 4k. No reason to move it.

Looking forward to it, always good to get a different type of tie rather than seeing us play the same old faces.

11 hours ago, rory78 said:

Probably less than 1000 away fans and if I remember correctly there were a lot of issues at the game. 

29 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Probably less than 1000 away fans and if I remember correctly there were a lot of issues at the game. 

I was at the game, what issues ? Sounds like you're guessing.

Edited by Hesh

34 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

There were no issues bar those for United fans gurning about Goodwin and overpaid dud players.. The only issue for those there to see Spartans is that the bigger games mean you can't get a pint at 2.30 in their tree house bar.

Edited by Gundermann

2 hours ago, rubyruby said:

Saw this on Facebook & it certainly made me laugh 😃 

FB_IMG_1701107759201.jpg

It's "North Fettes" now - at least where the new flats are!

35 minutes ago, Hesh said:

I was at the game, what issues ? Sounds like you're guessing.

United fans in wrong parts of stadium.  United fans too close to players at end of game. 
Been at quite a few games at AP.  Think it will struggle to cope with 3000 fans. 

I went to Spartans v Linfield about 6 years ago at Ainslie Park (2-1 for Linfield) and there were 900 or so with segregation keeping the Irish fans mainly on the "grassy knoll" behind the North goal. I've been there a few times for B team games this season and think 3600 will be a bit of a squeeze and a poor view for many

12 hours ago, rory78 said:

They had to park their team bus in morrisons and walk over to the ground I belive. Proper old skool vibes. Not that this should be a reason to move it. I'm sure they will fancy a crack at us at Ainsley Park. Still a decent payday for them regardless 

On 26/11/2023 at 12:59, buzzbomb1958 said:

What will Sevco do they are ****ed no VAR to help them out

They won’t need VAR!  
Any shirt tug will be given as a penalty!

Inside the box….or outside. If needed!

Nae VAR to muddy the waters👍

2 hours ago, Bainy said:

They had to park their team bus in morrisons and walk over to the ground I belive. Proper old skool vibes. Not that this should be a reason to move it. I'm sure they will fancy a crack at us at Ainsley Park. Still a decent payday for them regardless 

The carpark is a nightmare with the leasure centre there. At least the astro is better than Livingston's to play on. 😉

9 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

United fans in wrong parts of stadium.  United fans too close to players at end of game. 
Been at quite a few games at AP.  Think it will struggle to cope with 3000 fans. 

There was no segregation. Both United and spartans fans were 'close to players' at the end of the game. I agree there was an incident where one of the United coaches was having a go at the utd fans but he was held back in the changing room Doorway.

I was in that corner most of the match had a couple of utd ******s behind me shouting abuse at their players bit nothing you don't hear most matchdays when a team isn't playing well.

Probably at least 1250 ish utd fans there that day, the crowd was just shy of 2k and the new stand was closed so add 250, think it'll manage 2500 easy

Edited by Hesh

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

There was no segregation. Both United and spartans fans were 'close to players' at the end of the game. I agree there was an incident where one of the United coaches was having a go at the utd fans but he was held back in the changing room Doorway.

I was in that corner most of the match had a couple of utd ******s behind me shouting abuse at their players bit nothing you don't hear most matchdays when a team isn't playing well.

Probably at least 1250 ish utd fans there that day, the crowd was just shy of 2k and the new stand was closed so add 250, think it'll manage 2500 easy

👍

13 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

There were no issues.

21 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Viaplay will pick the two arse cheeks games, so BBC will have the pick of the rest 

I don't think Viaplay are involved. Are they?

21 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

I don't think Viaplay are involved. Are they?

Viaplay and BBC share coverage of the Scottish Cup in a deal that ends this season.

4 live games per round.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Viaplay and BBC share coverage of the Scottish Cup in a deal that ends this season.

4 live games per round.

Celtic against Buckie, surprised Netflix aren't trying to muscle in for this spectacular

On 27/11/2023 at 10:41, Chuck Berry said:

Fancying a move to a larger stadium to sell more tickets does not fall under "considers that its Registered Ground is unsuitable".  If they tried it, the SFA would throw the request straight back at them.

This rule was specifically brought in to manage these sort of requests. They've worded it so as not to make it as blunt, but effectively it's the same thing.  If the Police are involved and think there's a risk attached to playing the game at the registered ground, then that's where the SFA have a decision to make.

Nothing to stop Spartans saying, it's a derby, we were affiliated with Hibs, can't segregate inside the ground etc etc in an argument as to why the ground is unsuitable

FWIW I don't think they will 

I think the Spartans board are in a wee bit of a quandary here. Do they put making a quick fair amount of £££££ and giving up Ainslie Park home advantage to the probability of staying at Ainslie Park and the game being on the BBC and having more of a chance getting through and still making a few £££££ in the process.

I hope their board choose the latter.

Spartans would be silly not to try to maximise the amount they can get for this game. 

It'll certainly be chosen for the BBC game and by moving the game they will be able to make way more money than playing at home.

27 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Nothing to stop Spartans saying, it's a derby, we were affiliated with Hibs, can't segregate inside the ground etc etc in an argument as to why the ground is unsuitable

FWIW I don't think they will 

There's nothing to stop them claiming anything, but none of the above will convince the SFA that an L2 team can't handle the visit of Hearts.

10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I think the Spartans board are in a wee bit of a quandary here. Do they put making a quick fair amount of £££££ and giving up Ainslie Park home advantage to the probability of staying at Ainslie Park and the game being on the BBC and having more of a chance getting through and still making a few £££££ in the process.

It's not for them to choose.  The game is at Ainslie Park unless there are serious concerns regarding facilities and ability to handle the game, of which I can't see TBH.

6 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

It's not for them to choose.  The game is at Ainslie Park unless there are serious concerns regarding facilities and ability to handle the game, of which I can't see TBH.

Au contraire. Yes it is.

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Au contraire. Yes it is.

It isn't.  They can send a request to the SFA for a move, but that will be denied unless it can be shown there are serious concerns over their ability to handle a crowd for which they already have an SFA Licence for.  Ainslie Park will be licenced for around 3,500, of which 700 are seated.  No even sure the last time a SPFL team moved a home game in the Scottish due to not being able to handle it.

Darvel hosted Aberdeen, Auchinleck hosted Hearts, Spartans hosted Dundee Utd, Bonnyrigg hosted Hibs all recently.

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

TV fee is £24,000.  Doubt it will be televised if at ER. I think they will probably get close to 10,000 if it’s at ER. That means their gate income would be about £20k  at AP and roughly £70k  at ER (assuming average ticket price is £15 ) though they would also have to pay Hibs a fee for use of stadium but they would have much more hospitality to sell. Financially, moving the tie would probably be worth at least £30k more to them. Easy for them to make the case to the police that AP isn’t suitable due to segregation challenges as well as the risk of asking hundreds of fans to stand on mounds of mud or ice in January. It is indeed a conundrum for their Board 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

TV fee is £24,000.  Doubt it will be televised if at ER. I think they will probably get close to 10,000 if it’s at ER. That means their gate income would be about £20k  at AP and roughly £70k  at ER (assuming average ticket price is £15 ) though they would also have to pay Hibs a fee for use of stadium but they would have much more hospitality to sell. Financially, moving the tie would probably be worth at least £30k more to them. Easy for them to make the case to the police that AP isn’t suitable due to segregation challenges as well as the risk of asking hundreds of fans to stand on mounds of mud or ice in January. It is indeed a conundrum for their Board 

Lot of games apparently get called off at AP in January/February too which they may want to take into account

• davemclaren changed the title to *** official match thread - the Spartans v Heart Of Midlothian ***