Wine.

Dawnrazor

I'm in a Malbec phrase, I got a bottle of Rios De Los Andes 2017 Reserve tonight at the Spar garage near Garstang for £7.50, it's the best Malbec I've had in ages, beautiful.

What else is worth a go?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• Dawnrazor

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• periodictabledancer

I’m a bit of fan of it as well. The Trivento from Tesco is a nice drop. One of the best things about modern wine making is that unless you drop to stupid cheap it’s hard to find something horrible. Not always great but always drinkable. I’m trying the Tesco Finest Malbec Mendoza today. It’s rather pleasant and went very well with the ribeye steak with dauphinois potatoes I cooked earlier. 

luckyBatistuta
7 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I'm in a Malbec phrase, I got a bottle of Rios De Los Andes 2017 Reserve tonight at the Spar garage near Garstang for £7.50, it's the best Malbec I've had in ages, beautiful.

What else is worth a go?

Didn’t have you down as a wine drinker, thought you’d prefer a Snakebite 😆

2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Didn’t have you down as a wine drinker, thought you’d prefer a Snakebite 😆

🖕🖕

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, been here before said:

Quite fond of a splash of 19 Crimes or a Jam Shed Shiraz.

The Jam Shed is pretty good. 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

The Jam Shed is pretty good. 

Their Malbec isn’t great, it’s like drinking a fruit juice it’s so sweet. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

It's the Australian Shiraz I like. 

luckyBatistuta

Anything but a Merlot.

Just had this Rioja, was decent and will get again. Next up is these 4 bottles of Bordeaux 🤞

64E509C8-35F6-4AC5-8AE2-889D0D9A26AA.jpeg

A3873439-4628-4324-8E18-C3A7FDD88739.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Aye, it depends on the year I think, I've had a couple of bottles that were nice, but a couple were, as you said, a bit sweet.

1 minute ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Anything but a Merlot.

Just had this Rioja, was decent and will get again. Next up is these 4 bottles of Bordeaux 🤞

64E509C8-35F6-4AC5-8AE2-889D0D9A26AA.jpeg

A3873439-4628-4324-8E18-C3A7FDD88739.jpeg

I like a nice Merlot but have only ever had one Rioja, a very expensive bottles from a client who is areal wine buff, Tempranillo is another I avoid. A Châteauneuf-du-Pape is another favourite if mine.

Салатные палочки
18 minutes ago, been here before said:

Quite fond of a splash of 19 Crimes or a Jam Shed Shiraz.

Not often these days but 19 Crimes is my go to red if I fancy one. 

been here before
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Load of pretentious pish

Red wine is really just like a Ribena that gets you pissed.

Wheres the pretention?

And, while I’m at it - Jam Shed is (some of them) pretty good.

A good Barolo, Cotes du Rhone or a top Rioja is unbeatable.

In fact, Rioja.  👍

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

In fact, Rioja.  👍

5 minutes ago, Morgan said:

In fact, Rioja.  👍

I find most Rioja harsh, a bit rough.

Somebody on here recommended giving The Jam Shed Malbec a go to me a while back and I enjoyed it. 

Adding my voice to the choir by the looks of it. 

The diablo black label one at a tenner is very nice but if reduced to £8 and then £6 on the 25% off for 6 bottles it's an absolute steal.

I drink a lot of Nero Oro Riserva - very fruity Sicilian Rosso. About 11.99 from Majestic - strangely a pound cheaper than it was last year...

10 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I find most Rioja harsh, a bit rough.

You’re drinking cheap Rioja, Dawn.

I’m guessing Tempranillo.

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

You’re drinking cheap Rioja, Dawn.

I’m guessing Tempranillo.

Nah, I've had a few but only one really nice one, I can't go Tempranillo.

13 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Surprised and pleased to find these two in Lidl this week:

original.jpg?1622690462&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4

8c683174-92e2-468c-9062-37f9caad1efd.jpg

How much?

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

How much?

Can't recall exactly.  Probably €18 for the Haut-Médoc, €22-23 for the Pessac-Léognan.  Wine prices are dearer here, though, 'cos higher taxes.

4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Can't recall exactly.  Probably €18 for the Haut-Médoc, €22-23 for the Pessac-Léognan.  Wine prices are dearer here, though, 'cos higher taxes.

👍 I'll keep an eye out for them, how do you rate them?

2 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

👍 I'll keep an eye out for them, how do you rate them?

I liked them, and normally I'd have to pay more to get wines of either type at the same quality.  More coming up - I do like my wines.  :eek: 

Regulars? 

Red - Monte Real Gran Reserva (only when discounted); L'Ostal Cazes Grand Vin Minervois La Livinière; Porta Nova Ripasso Valpolicella; D.V. Catena Tinto Histórico

White - Astrolabe Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc; Lagar de Costa Albarino; Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc; Henri Bourgeois Porte de l'Abbaye Pouilly-Fumé

Rosé - Baron Amarillo Rioja Rosé (very good at a low price, thanks to Aldi); Château de Gairoird Côtes de Provence Rosé; L'Ostal Cazes Rosé

Christmas dinner/treats?

Red - Familia Deicas Preludio, Uruguay, Cabernet/Merlot/Tannat, 2015, with Blason du Rhône Châteauneuf-du-Pape 2021 as a backup.

White - Greywacke Wild Ferment Sauvignon Blanc 2021, with Astrolabe Kékerengú Coast Sauvignon Blanc 2020 in reserve.

Rosé - Miraval Rosé, Côtes de Provence 2022, and Born Rosé Barcelona 2022 on the bench.

3 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

I' Tennants m in a Malbec phrase, I got a bottle of Rios De Los Andes 2017 Reserve tonight at the Spar garage near Garstang for £7.50, it's the best Malbec I've had in ages, beautiful.

What else is worth a go?

19 pints of Tennants 😎

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

image.png.f2856545d81884b3e9f073f588e29ea7.png

This stuffs magic. First seen it in Costco but the supermarkets now sell it too.

I'll go look.  I stuck it into Google, to discover that 2 supermarkets and an off-licence near me stock it.

The Mighty Thor

Shop for your wines by grape or blend and not by brand.

Jam Shed, 19 Crimes and all those other labels are generic blends, generally high in residual sugar to make the taste 'fruity'

Go to Aldi. In amongst their 'Specially Selected' they've got some real crackers. Portuguese Dao, Primitivo, Aglianico, cotes du Rhone, Zinfandel, cairanne, Albarino, gavi etc.

Mostly under a tenner. 

Buy something different every time. You'll thank me later👍

A wise man once told me "life is way too short to drink poor quality booze" and I've pretty much stuck with that ever since. He may have posted on this thread. 🤣 

I usually go for the £15-£20 range bottles and they're generally excellent. I like Italian reds like Amarone, Chianti, Sangiovese and Montepulciano. Big heavy, jammy sort of bottles.

I like Australian whites as well. I never gave much of a toss about white wine before I lived in a hot country but if you get the right one, extremely cold on a hot day, stick on a record and chill under the aircon with my dog - I'm pretty goddamn happy.

A wise man once told me "there are only two kinds of wine; wine you like and wine you dinae!" that was 40 years ago and is till my wine mantra.

9 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I'll go look.  I stuck it into Google, to discover that 2 supermarkets and an off-licence near me stock it.

Look forward to your review.

Seen folk mention Jam Shed as well. Very lovely.

We get ours from the Wine Society. A non-profit club so can be sure they're not ripping you off. They do some great sub-£10 stuff, however their Exhibition range (£10-20 a bottle) is superb.

9 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

image.png.f2856545d81884b3e9f073f588e29ea7.png

This stuffs magic. First seen it in Costco but the supermarkets now sell it too.

Had a bottle of this earlier in the year. Very nice. 

My own personal favourite is Burlesque. Vino in Edinburgh stock it, but I’ve never seen it anywhere else. 

IMG_0586.thumb.webp.72b0fc5b69c94fb8a24998bd0430371e.webp

4 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

We get ours from the Wine Society. A non-profit club so can be sure they're not ripping you off. They do some great sub-£10 stuff, however their Exhibition range (£10-20 a bottle) is superb.

yeah that was where my father got his. Long been tempted to join but don't want to turn into my father....

31 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Had a bottle of this earlier in the year. Very nice. 

My own personal favourite is Burlesque. Vino in Edinburgh stock it, but I’ve never seen it anywhere else. 

IMG_0586.thumb.webp.72b0fc5b69c94fb8a24998bd0430371e.webp

Will try that.

I should have prefaced beforehand that I'm one if those people who usually drinks red wine cold so my opinion may be voided depending how seriously you take your wine.

13 hours ago, Dawnrazor said:

Aye, it depends on the year I think, I've had a couple of bottles that were nice, but a couple were, as you said, a bit sweet.

I've been caught out a couple of time with that, the vintage changing. Found wines I loved and then bought frequently, then all of a sudden it's barely drinkable. It's only when I check the year and notice it's moved on from the ones I liked.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Craig_ said:

I'll second that. Joined them a year ago and I think only one wine tried was a disappointment. Gives you access to grape varieties that the supermarkets don't stock which is great too. A favourite at the moment is a Teroldego/ Lagrein  blend from the Dolomites in northern Italy, you won't that in a supermarket. 

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Will try that.

I should have prefaced beforehand that I'm one if those people who usually drinks red wine cold so my opinion may be voided depending how seriously you take your wine.

You put red wine in the fridge? Genuinely never met anyone who does that before. 🤣

You ever tried sparkling reds that are intended to be chilled? Seriously good. I'm a fan.

All roads lead to Gorgie
13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Surprised and pleased to find these two in Lidl this week:

original.jpg?1622690462&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=4

8c683174-92e2-468c-9062-37f9caad1efd.jpg

Aldi had a Pomerol and a Margaux both on sale last year for £9.99. Two Bordeaux wines that would normally be way above what we would pay for a wine, we are talking £40 pound upwards and aged from 2016 as well. I bought four at the time and kept two back for this Christmas. 

30 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

You put red wine in the fridge? Genuinely never met anyone who does that before. 🤣

You ever tried sparkling reds that are intended to be chilled? Seriously good. I'm a fan.

Yep, will happily have a red as it's meant to be in a restaurant but I enjoy them chilled at home.

Had a couple of the sparkling ones you mention and enjoyed them too! 

3 hours ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Aldi had a Pomerol and a Margaux both on sale last year for £9.99. Two Bordeaux wines that would normally be way above what we would pay for a wine, we are talking £40 pound upwards and aged from 2016 as well. I bought four at the time and kept two back for this Christmas. 

Just had a look in my local Aldi at lunchtime to see if they'd anything of particular interest in stock at the moment, but I didn't spot anything.

New Town Loafer

Love a glass of red wine. Malbec usually my go to, but I’m a very big fan of Portuguese reds. They’re underrated and can still be difficult to find in the UK.

6 minutes ago, New Town Loafer said:

Love a glass of red wine. Malbec usually my go to, but I’m a very big fan of Portuguese reds. They’re underrated and can still be difficult to find in the UK.

Anything from Quinta do Crasto is worth drinking, but the wine produced from the old vines is exceptional.

image.png

Edited by leginten