Wine.

Dawnrazor

periodictabledancer
On 06/12/2023 at 10:43, Deodato said:

Here's a top tip from my Spanish in-laws: https://www.vinoseleccion.co.uk/

They knock it out the park. And they have a very good subscription service as well, six-bottles every turn. 

The Thyssen selection is pitch perfect for Christmas events and a very decent price. 

What's the delivery charges on the Spanish stuff ?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ulysses

• Dawnrazor

• All roads lead to Gorgie

• periodictabledancer

On 04/12/2023 at 17:44, periodictabledancer said:

I'm a big fan of Portuguese reds and while easy to find in most supermarkets, there's not much selection IMO. Absolutely love a chilled albarino - which I thought was Portuguese but comes  from a region that spans both Portugal and Spain. I find Portuguese wines very different from the rest - seems to me they use grape varieties no one else does.

Aussie shiraz is bonzer, Argie malbec too (was once given a bottle that retails at £28.00 and it tasted nothing like any Malbec I've ever drunk and not in a good way). 

Currently drinking far too much of an Aussie chardonnay (which I never normally touch) that tastes like a really good burgundy. 

Yep - they do have quite a few excellent, indigenous, grape-varieties which certainly help to give them a distinctive taste and character, but some of them are actually know varieties such as Tempranillo but just going under their Portuguese name.

I'm rarely disappointed by a red wine from the Alentejo region, particularly as you go up the price-scale, but then again I'm rarely disappointed by any Portuguese red. Even the cheaper ones are usually enjoyable.

For Spanish red wines, it's difficult to beat a nice Rioja - or a Ribera del Duero, if you prefer something a wee bit drier. I've also had superb wines from Cigales in NW Spain, as well as from other regions like El Bierzo, Toro, Priorato, Campo de Borja, and Somontano. (Incidentally, it's very common - in northern Spain at least - to be served a chilled glass of red during the warmer months: you're best asking for it to be at room-temperature if you don't want this.)

Otherwise, I tend to go for some of the southern French reds, and Italian wines from Puglia and Sicily.

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Yep - they do have quite a few excellent, indigenous, grape-varieties which certainly help to give them a distinctive taste and character, but some of them are actually know varieties such as Tempranillo but just going under their Portuguese name.

I'm rarely disappointed by a red wine from the Alentejo region, particularly as you go up the price-scale, but then again I'm rarely disappointed by any Portuguese red. Even the cheaper ones are usually enjoyable.

For Spanish red wines, it's difficult to beat a nice Rioja - or a Ribera del Duero, if you prefer something a wee bit drier. I've also had superb wines from Cigales in NW Spain, as well as from other regions like El Bierzo, Toro, Priorato, Campo de Borja, and Somontano. (Incidentally, it's very common - in northern Spain at least - to be served a chilled glass of red during the warmer months: you're best asking for it to be at room-temperature if you don't want this.)

Otherwise, I tend to go for some of the southern French reds, and Italian wines from Puglia and Sicily.

Noted. 👍

On 04/12/2023 at 17:44, periodictabledancer said:

I'm a big fan of Portuguese reds and while easy to find in most supermarkets, there's not much selection IMO. Absolutely love a chilled albarino - which I thought was Portuguese but comes  from a region that spans both Portugal and Spain. I find Portuguese wines very different from the rest - seems to me they use grape varieties no one else does.

Aussie shiraz is bonzer, Argie malbec too (was once given a bottle that retails at £28.00 and it tasted nothing like any Malbec I've ever drunk and not in a good way). 

Currently drinking far too much of an Aussie chardonnay (which I never normally touch) that tastes like a really good burgundy. 

The Portuguese version of Albariño is Alvarino. They’re both very good. Majestic do some good ones. Also a Porta 6 red which goes down well 🤠

17 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

What's the delivery charges on the Spanish stuff ?

I'm not seeing any (!?) when I check my bank statements. 

They deliver with UPS, Order went in on 24th Nov and the Wine arrived 4th Dec. 

My brother in law knows his sh*t as well - Brits spend a fortune on 'named' Spanish wines whereas he'll point to better product that costs a fraction of the price. This one is worth snapping up. 

image.png

Red wine is honking, i dont understand the love for it. 

It's maybe like supporting an Ann Budge Hearts team i suppose, It looks good, but it's actually awful. 

Konrad von Carstein
On 04/12/2023 at 16:25, OBE said:

You'll like Porta 6 then, it's dangerous, can be necked with or without food.

Currently my favourite...

Carnivore Zinfandel is the shizzle though...

On 03/12/2023 at 21:18, the posh bit said:

Few decent Argentinian Malbecs available from supermarkets for around a tenner that are perfectly fine. 

Down in York last week for the Snooker and me and my old man bought a couple of bottles of the Argintinian stuff from Tesco, only £7.50 a bottle, I think. Very nice indeed, ended up drinking the lot in a very short space of time :lol:

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Currently my favourite...

Carnivore Zinfandel is the shizzle though...

Ma pockets gonna be £3 lighter, but I'll give your shizzle a good swirl, beak and quaff, because I'm a nosey git...:biggrin:

Konrad von Carstein
30 minutes ago, OBE said:

Ma pockets gonna be £3 lighter, but I'll give your shizzle a good swirl, beak and quaff, because I'm a nosey git...:biggrin:

:levein2:

:toasting:

On 06/12/2023 at 00:06, Dawnrazor said:

Does anyone decant the bottle?

I don't but when I pour it I keep the bottle high and try and get plenty of air into the glass, I saw it on Tele once but have no idea if it makes a difference!

I decant every bottle. I typically prefer bolder Italian and Californian wines which benefit massively from it, however every bottle benefits from at least 30mins decanting, even just in the glass at room temperature.

Many believe that just opening the bottle has benefits but it unfortunately has little impact. Exposing the wine to as much oxygen as possible is key, not just the top of the bottle.

Outside of wine shops and Waitrose I tend to find Aldi is best in terms of both value and selection. Typically avoid Tesco, Co-op, Sainsburys etc. Impossible to not sound snobby about wine but there is much better value and selection to be had outside of the big ‘chain’ supermarket wines e.g. Jam Shed, Campo Viejo, Porta 6 etc.

5 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I decant every bottle. I typically prefer bolder Italian and Californian wines which benefit massively from it, however every bottle benefits from at least 30mins decanting, even just in the glass at room temperature.

Many believe that just opening the bottle has benefits but it unfortunately has little impact. Exposing the wine to as much oxygen as possible is key, not just the top of the bottle.

Outside of wine shops and Waitrose I tend to find Aldi is best in terms of both value and selection. Typically avoid Tesco, Co-op, Sainsburys etc. Impossible to not sound snobby about wine but there is much better value and selection to be had outside of the big ‘chain’ supermarket wines e.g. Jam Shed, Campo Viejo, Porta 6 etc.

Enlighten me please, what beats Porta 6 (£7) for value? Genuine question. Don't like having limited go to favourites...:thumbsup:

Honestly, I just don't get red wine.  I must be missing something with it as every time I've tried, I just think it tastes awful.  Had a few £10/£15~ mark bottles sitting in the cupboard since we moved in that were house warming gifts that I have absolutely no desire to open.

I don't mind a sweet white wine, more along the lines of a Moscato, but I'd still rather just have a pint of beer than a glass of wine!

7 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Campo Viejo is a perfectly respectable Rioja label - just because it's sold in many outlets doesn't mean it's sub-standard. It's not the best, but is still probably better than the Aldi own-label 'Baron Amarillo' (or whatever it's called) equivalent. 

Porta 6 is fine for a basic Portuguese red. Both Lidl and Aldi have also now started stocking "cheap 'n' cheerful" Portuguese wines, which is good.

What to watch for in all of these cheaper wines, however, is that they show a year of vintage and an actual wine-region, rather than just 'Wine of Portugal' or 'Wine of Spain' - those are best used for cooking if bought at all. :icon14:

13 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Honestly, I just don't get red wine.  I must be missing something with it as every time I've tried, I just think it tastes awful.  Had a few £10/£15~ mark bottles sitting in the cupboard since we moved in that were house warming gifts that I have absolutely no desire to open.

I don't mind a sweet white wine, more along the lines of a Moscato, but I'd still rather just have a pint of beer than a glass of wine!

I'm exactly like that but with Whisky.

10 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Sounds like you really just don't enjoy dry wine. One you could try if you see it is Mavrodaphne of Patros: a sweet-ish, Greek, red wine. It's probably be too sweet for most red wine drinkers, but might be to your taste!

3 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Sounds like you really just don't enjoy dry wine. One you could try if you see it is Mavrodaphne of Patros: a sweet-ish, Greek, red wine. It's probably be too sweet for most red wine drinkers, but might be to your taste!

I think that's probably a good shout.  The problem is, the world of wine is exceptionally complex if you know nothing about it! :lol: 

Sweet things are definitely more of my kind of thing, although I'm not opposed to sour or "strong" tastes either.  It just has to be the right balance. 

Tesco have a bottle of it for £7.50 (https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253313847) that I'd be willing to give a bash over Christmas Dinner time.  Any idea if it's any good or not?

I sometimes think that Red Wine tastes a little bit odd.  You know how strong smells invoke a sense of taste?  If I had to explain it, it would be that red wine to me tastes similar to how Play-Doh smells!  I'll see how I get on with the above if my local Tesco stocks it :thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

I think that's probably a good shout.  The problem is, the world of wine is exceptionally complex if you know nothing about it! :lol: 

Sweet things are definitely more of my kind of thing, although I'm not opposed to sour or "strong" tastes either.  It just has to be the right balance. 

Tesco have a bottle of it for £7.50 (https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/253313847) that I'd be willing to give a bash over Christmas Dinner time.  Any idea if it's any good or not?

I sometimes think that Red Wine tastes a little bit odd.  You know how strong smells invoke a sense of taste?  If I had to explain it, it would be that red wine to me tastes similar to how Play-Doh smells!  I'll see how I get on with the above if my local Tesco stocks it :thumbsup: 

I've drunk it before - just as an experiment really, as sweet red wine is fairly uncommon - and quite enjoyed it. I'd describe it as medium-sweet, full-flavoured, and full-bodied (dark, full-bodied, and Mediterranean - what's not to like? :woot:). It'd probably be a bit like drinking port with your Christmas dinner, but - then again - you're maybe not a fan of port either! Unlike port, it's not fortified, but is pretty hefty at 15% - this'll be due to the sweetness and super-ripeness of the grapes rather than the addition of further alcohol. 

Anyway, I'd say give it a go. :thumbsup: You could try lightly chilling it if you think you'd prefer it that way.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

A good Barolo or Rioja for me. White wine is good for turning into vinegar. ;)

I can't go white wine, it's either too dry and I can't drink it, or too sweet and I want to drink it like juice, or fizzy and gives me heart burn.

4 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

I can't go white wine, it's either too dry and I can't drink it, or too sweet and I want to drink it like juice, or fizzy and gives me heart burn.

How about rosé? A cool glass can slip down quite well on a hot day.

Just now, redjambo said:

How about rosé? A cool glass can slip down quite well on a hot day.

It does, but I just want to drink it like a soft drink, my wife often drinks a Rosé or a Zinfandel in summer, I tend to stick to G&T in summer.

1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

It does, but I just want to drink it like a soft drink, my wife often drinks a Rosé or a Zinfandel in summer, I tend to stick to G&T in summer.

G&T?

:getout:

15 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

G&T?

:getout:

Masons Gin, Fever Tree Tonic, Ice, Lemon in a 3/4 Pint glass is a must in the summer.

Just now, Dawnrazor said:

Masons Gin, Fever Tree Tonic, Ice, Lemon in a 3/4 Pint glass is a must in the summer.

Is that before or after your pedicure and facial, you big girl’s blouse. 

Just now, Jim_Duncan said:

Is that before or after your pedicure and facial, you big girl’s blouse. 

😂😂

8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

What Rosé's do you like?

Sorry, Uly, I'm afraid I'm not much of a connoisseur. I just pick a nice bottle and give it a go. I tend to go for French though as I have many happy memories of relaxing and sipping rosé in the summer in the south of France and, for rosés in particular but probably for a lot of drinks, my mind (and my company) appears to contribute more to my enjoyment of my drink than than my taste buds.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Sorry, Uly, I'm afraid I'm not much of a connoisseur. I just pick a nice bottle and give it a go. I tend to go for French though as I have many happy memories of relaxing and sipping rosé in the summer in the south of France and, for rosés in particular but probably for a lot of drinks, my mind (and my company) appears to contribute more to my enjoyment of my drink than than my taste buds.

South of France are the magic words, IMO.

I switched over from white wines to Rosé during the Covid restrictions - and they couldn't be more different to the traditional sweetish rosé wines that were around when I was younger.  I've had a fair few that would stand comparison with any quality white wine.  Chilled and refreshing, but also robust and tasty, with grapes like Gamay, Pinot Noir, Grenache, Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Trebbiano, and even Tempranillo.  Most have been French, but not all, with a couple of honourable contenders from Spain, Italy and South Africa.

I dunno if anything on my top 10 list can even be bought in Edinburgh, but hey ho. :laugh:

Konrad von Carstein
6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

South of France are the magic words, IMO.

I switched over from white wines to Rosé during the Covid restrictions - and they couldn't be more different to the traditional sweetish rosé wines that were around when I was younger.  I've had a fair few that would stand comparison with any quality white wine.  Chilled and refreshing, but also robust and tasty, with grapes like Gamay, Pinot Noir, Grenache, Syrah, Cabernet Franc, Trebbiano, and even Tempranillo.  Most have been French, but not all, with a couple of honourable contenders from Spain, Italy and South Africa.

I dunno if anything on my top 10 list can even be bought in Edinburgh, but hey ho. :laugh:

You'll have to list them to find out 👀

27 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

You'll have to list them to find out 👀

Here you go. :whistling:

Château de Gairoird Organic

Domaine de L'Ostal Rosé

Famille Bougrier Rosé

Château D'Esclans Whispering Angel

Delheim Pinotage Rosé

Baron Amarillo Rioja Rosé

MIMI En Provence Grand Réserve

Barcelona Born

Pasqua 11 Minutes

Gérard Bertrand Côtes des Roses

Miraval Côtes de Provence

Château Saint-Jean Lavender Organic Rosé

Petit Bourgeois Pinot Noir Rosé

Aldi Coteaux Varois en Provence

The last one should be available in Aldi, who also sometimes stock the Baron Amarillo. No idea about the others, as I've bought them all in Irish off-licences. 

Edited by Ulysses

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Domaine de L'Ostal Rosé

Famille Bougrier Rosé

Delheim Pinotage Rosé

Barcelona Born

Pasqua 11 Minutes

The last one should be available in Aldi, who also sometimes stock the Baron Amarillo. No idea about the others, as I've bought them all in Irish off-licences. 

Whispering Angel and Miraval are superb but expensive. Got my some for Christmas.

2 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Whispering Angel and Miraval are superb but expensive. Got my some for Christmas.

Majestic Wines sell both of those, as well as the Pasqua 11 Minutes and the Gérard Bertrand Côtes des Roses.  They also sell another Gérard Bertrand which I like, called Hampton Water.

Tesco stock the Miraval, Pasqua 11 Minutes, and Gérard Bertrand Côtes des Roses, and Sainsbury's also stock a couple of those along with the Whispering Angel.

5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Majestic Wines sell both of those, as well as the Pasqua 11 Minutes and the Gérard Bertrand Côtes des Roses.  They also sell another Gérard Bertrand which I like, called Hampton Water.

Tesco stock the Miraval, Pasqua 11 Minutes, and Gérard Bertrand Côtes des Roses, and Sainsbury's also stock a couple of those along with the Whispering Angel.

Majestic had a magnum of Whispering Angel last time I was in. 

Konrad von Carstein
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Domaine de L'Ostal Rosé

Famille Bougrier Rosé

Delheim Pinotage Rosé

Barcelona Born

Pasqua 11 Minutes

:toasting:

10 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

The Mrs loves both of those but I’ll never forget the look on her face when some posh ***** informed her that Whispering Angel is just expensive wine for those that know nothing about wine. 😂

She still buys it though. 🙄🥲

New Town Loafer

Another red wine that I find you can rarely go wrong with is a Nero d’Avola. Usually inexpensive and a lovely flavour. 

I had a nice Sangiovese on Sunday at that West End Brasserie, too.

38 minutes ago, Dazo said:

The Mrs loves both of those but I’ll never forget the look on her face when some posh ***** informed her that Whispering Angel is just expensive wine for those that know nothing about wine. 😂

If the posh ***** actually knew something about wine, they'd probably realise that Whispering Angel is actually Château D'Esclans' slightly expensive boutique rosé for those who don't want or can't afford to spend the money on a bottle of Garrus.  Majestic have Garrus for about £130 a bottle, though if you shop around you could find it for a bit less.

TBH, I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a bottle of wine.

6 hours ago, Dazo said:

I meant include the word "wife" in my original post. My youngest daughter loves it too. 👍

7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

If the posh ***** actually knew something about wine, they'd probably realise that Whispering Angel is actually Château D'Esclans' slightly expensive boutique rosé for those who don't want or can't afford to spend the money on a bottle of Garrus.  Majestic have Garrus for about £130 a bottle, though if you shop around you could find it for a bit less.

TBH, I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a bottle of wine.

Out of interest, what amount could you justify?

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Out of interest, what amount could you justify?

Hard to tell.  For the price of a bottle of Garrus you could pick up between 8 and 10 of the bottles on the list I posted earlier.  I'm sure it's a fantastic wine, but you're not going to enjoy it (say) 8 times as much as a Gairoird.  I have once or twice bought wines that would set you back around €75-85 these days, and I've also stretched the budget once or twice to buy myself a nice port or sherry.  I've also pushed the boat out when buying wine as presents for other people.

But they were rare experiences.  Most of the wines I buy are priced at between €12 and €20, with occasional treats above that, but very rarely above €30.  I mentioned some "Christmas treats" in an earlier post. The big three on that list cost just either side of €30.

So having said it's hard to tell, right now I think the answer is about €20-22 if I'm in a good mood, rising to €30 or so for Christmas and celebrations.  On the other hand, I can pick up the two Aldi wines I mentioned for under €10, or I can get the likes of Delheim Pinotage or Domain de L'Ostal Rosés discounted for €11-12, and they're always worth getting.

Buying wine in restaurants is a whole other matter, though.  :eek: 

Christmas wines this year are

starter: Sauternes and Chablis 

main: chassagne-Montrachet and some random red.

dessert: vin santo

(waitrose 25% off all).

cheese: mediocre LBV Port which I have already started (Harvey Nichols rip off that I’m glad I bought discounted).

since I’m only on 2-4units nowadays, I’ll stick with the Montrachet. 

2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Hard to tell.  For the price of a bottle of Garrus you could pick up between 8 and 10 of the bottles on the list I posted earlier.  I'm sure it's a fantastic wine, but you're not going to enjoy it (say) 8 times as much as a Gairoird.  I have once or twice bought wines that would set you back around €75-85 these days, and I've also stretched the budget once or twice to buy myself a nice port or sherry.  I've also pushed the boat out when buying wine as presents for other people.

But they were rare experiences.  Most of the wines I buy are priced at between €12 and €20, with occasional treats above that, but very rarely above €30.  I mentioned some "Christmas treats" in an earlier post. The big three on that list cost just either side of €30.

So having said it's hard to tell, right now I think the answer is about €20-22 if I'm in a good mood, rising to €30 or so for Christmas and celebrations.  On the other hand, I can pick up the two Aldi wines I mentioned for under €10, or I can get the likes of Delheim Pinotage or Domain de L'Ostal Rosés discounted for €11-12, and they're always worth getting.

Buying wine in restaurants is a whole other matter, though.  :eek: 

Bloody hell Uly, can I be on your Christmas list? 🤣

1 hour ago, westbow said:

Christmas wines this year are

starter: Sauternes and Chablis 

main: chassagne-Montrachet and some random red.

dessert: vin santo

(waitrose 25% off all).

cheese: mediocre LBV Port which I have already started (Harvey Nichols rip off that I’m glad I bought discounted).

since I’m only on 2-4units nowadays, I’ll stick with the Montrachet. 

Are you having any food with that?

1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Bloody hell Uly, can I be on your Christmas list? 🤣

I'm assuming most of those would be cheaper in Scotland, but I don't actually know.  :booze: