Massive clear out required immediately.

Selkirkhmfc1874

All those suggesting Naismith needs more time to implement this, coach this, add his style etc etc are ignoring the fact that Liam Fox seems to have stepped in to the B team and improved them having taken over from Naismith. 
Stuart Kettlwell didn’t need time to improve Motherwell and Barry Robson improved Aberdeen from an absolute laughing stock to third place pretty quick.

The fixtures have been kind, we have been awful, the run until Xmas looks ominous, I dread to think where we will be when we next play Hibs.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Bazzas right boot

• Selkirkhmfc1874

• Carter

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Oh wow they “enticed” mark Hughes how amazing 🤩 he’d been out of a fecking job for 4 years before that nobody wanted him. 

No, a club like that, without any big money owners, spent years in League 2 won’t pay a manager a whole lot more than the likes of Hearts.

Neil won the lottery with the Stoke job.

At Sunderland, he was on circa 7k a week which probably totals around a £400k P/A package. I certainly would not see that sort of money being beyond Hearts

Think he was on a lot more at Sunderland. The issue wasn’t how much it was how long.  They would only give him a one year rolling contract. Stoke came in and matched their wage but gave him a long term deal with a decent pay-off clause from what was reported at the time. 

33 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Christ,  he spent £20m on transfers this season including around £5m on 2 players and  has Stoke in a relegation battle.

What are we basing the expectations of Neil being a success,  Hamilton about ten years ago?

His salary is also around £1 5m so any pay of will be substantial.

Is he coming to us for £150k a year?

Not sure why there is a hard on for him by some on here.

I'd imagine we could pay c. £400,000 per annum for the right candidate. You're probably talking around £1M a year to fund a proper management team. That shouldn't be beyond our reach. 

Hearts will be the biggest club that Neilson and Naismith will ever manage. 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think he was on a lot more at Sunderland. The issue wasn’t how much it was how long.  They would only give him a one year rolling contract. Stoke came in and matched their wage but gave him a long term deal with a decent pay-off clause from what was reported at the time. 

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-afc-news-alex-neils-new-salary-revealed-amidst-reports-he-could-triple-wage-at-stoke-city-3822162# £350k a year for the biggest club in league 1 at that time.

He more than trebled that at Stoke. And everyone immediately understood what looked like an odd almost sideways move at the time with Sunderland on the up. 

Your average managers wage typically just is not as big as players, except for the real shit hot managers.

And it’s not every club has that premier league parachute on the go. It really is one area where Hearts can compete with some English clubs. Not the likes of Stoke. But many others, we can pay a good wage for a manager. It just would be a bigger chunk of our net spend. A lot more of the english money goes to players than managers. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Bazzas right boot
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/sunderland-afc-news-alex-neils-new-salary-revealed-amidst-reports-he-could-triple-wage-at-stoke-city-3822162# £350k a year for the biggest club in league 1 at that time.

He more than trebled that at Stoke. And everyone immediately understood what looked like an odd almost sideways move at the time. 

Your average managers wage typically just is not as big as players, except for the real shit hot managers.

And it’s not every club has that premier league parachute on the go. It really is one area where Hearts can compete with some English clubs. Not the likes of Stoke. But many others, we can pay a good wage for a manager. It just would be a bigger chunk of our net spend. A lot more of the english money goes to players than managers. 

Neil won't do any better than Bob did with us or McInnes did with Aberdeen,  he'll just cost more and have a bigger risk of failure.

5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

He more than trebled that at Stoke. And everyone immediately understood what looked like an odd almost sideways move at the time with Sunderland on the up. 

Hadn’t seen that article.  Stokes money comes from Bet365 

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Neil won't do any better than Bob did with us or McInnes did with Aberdeen,  he'll just cost more and have a bigger risk of failure.

That may be so. But ultimately you can’t know that for sure, until we actually see Neil work. If it happens. 

One thing we can say for sure is, in England, he’s been vastly vastly more successful than either Bob or Derek were. 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

22 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Oh wow they “enticed” mark Hughes how amazing 🤩 he’d been out of a fecking job for 4 years before that nobody wanted him. 

No, a club like that, without any big money owners, spent years in League 2 won’t pay a manager a whole lot more than the likes of Hearts.

Neil won the lottery with the Stoke job.

At Sunderland, he was on circa 7k a week which probably totals around a £400k P/A package. I certainly would not see that sort of money being beyond Hearts. It would be breaking the bank no question. But not impossible. 

The article you posted says he was on a bit more than £7k pw when he left and it just speculates that he could earn 2/3 times that at Stoke. Almost certainly, if true, includes lots of bonus payments for success which he clearly hasn’t achieved. He is probably on no more than circa £15k basic. 

27 minutes ago, Sinbad the Sailor said:

We must have some of the worst keyboard warriors in the world. 

Lose to a team:

> who see us as 3rd rivals

> who bring their own ref

> with a mega budget

> no Euro game first

...JKB meltdown.

Usual bingo words Cathro, Levein, Bob, McInnes, Robinson, Wilder, Board etc. etc.

Get real. Even when we had "good" teams we nearly always lost against them bar the odd time.

We all want better ....but stop greetin' and peeing pants. Get behind the team numbskulls. If I read McInnes again my heid will explode. 

A good example was 97/98...we had a brilliant team yet 5 defeats and 3 draws in our eight OF fixtures that season. To think we were only 7 points off top spot that season. 1 win against Celtic and Rangers would have been enough to win the league.  Clearly demonstrates how difficult it is to win against them.

We must bin this coaching model that has failed us (and continues to) going back too  many years under various guises. Football has changed and we are at a standstill. Football is a more dynamic, faster game than the one we are still trying to master and the  minimum requirement is fitness. Failed at step one. How the hell is Cochrane so unfit, you think he had not trained for a year and other regulars are not much better. Walking football does little for fitness it would seem. I do think Naismith would like to change but it is not possible with this so called coaching team. The board will not question them as, well they appointed them. Clear the lot out and get an experienced coach in maybe even keeping SN as assistant there are also plenty ex players Neil McCann, Colin Cameron, Locke. Craig Gordon could have a part to play. We must change, it may hurt and third place will be difficult, I am past caring about that now, but let's get some pride back on that park.

9 minutes ago, damo said:

A good example was 97/98...we had a brilliant team yet 5 defeats and 3 draws in our eight OF fixtures that season. To think we were only 7 points off top spot that season. 1 win against Celtic and Rangers would have been enough to win the league.  Clearly demonstrates how difficult it is to win against them.

The 2-2 game at Ibrox was the turning point for me. Albertz scoring right at the death to give them a point. Then drawing a couple of home games soon after to Killie and Motherwell done it for us.

Close but Cup more than made up for it. That was a proper team !

Go for it 1308
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Bob was on a terrible run and something had to change.

I'm not convinced the correct group left and I'm not sold on Savage.

Many fans wanted Naismith and outside him it was Robinson or McInnes,  the latter would have caused  certain folk to combust on here.

The best local managers for us are Bob or McInnes. They have managed clubs our size,  know Scotland and have a good record. 

Robinson next, with guys like O'Neil and Alexender being  a stretch,  and I'm not sure they'd better  McInnes or Bob, just be a bigger name and more expensive. 

The board imo have little impact on the team, any board will be shopping in the same market which is basically go for a punt on a new or random foreign manager or get McInnes in.

We went the rookie way.

Savage and our last two seasons transfer activity more of a concern for me. It's not been good.

Then there is a group of  fans who constantly agitate for change, demand  next level, hold grudges, hire planes/ print posters and generally abuse all things Hearts. The  also need to GTF imo, they are part of the problem and not a solution. The create a toxic environment. 

The board this time are guilty or reacting to it imo, especially with the Bob sacking and Naismith hire.

I honestly don't know what to think now🥺.I've had a shit day at work...thinking about HMFC all day and dealing with arsehole customers. I'm gong home to get pished ...**** it

20231018_190307.jpg

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

I honestly don't know what to think now🥺.I've had a shit day at work...thinking about HMFC all day and dealing with arsehole customers. I'm gong home to get pished ...**** it

20231018_190307.jpg

Pished...oan a Monday!

Enjoy :sombrero:

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Leisham38 said:

All those suggesting Naismith needs more time to implement this, coach this, add his style etc etc are ignoring the fact that Liam Fox seems to have stepped in to the B team and improved them having taken over from Naismith. 
Stuart Kettlwell didn’t need time to improve Motherwell and Barry Robson improved Aberdeen from an absolute laughing stock to third place pretty quick.

The fixtures have been kind, we have been awful, the run until Xmas looks ominous, I dread to think where we will be when we next play Hibs.

To be fair he improved us when he came in, unfortunately he hasn’t been able to make any further progress. 

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Go for it 1308 said:

20231018_190307.jpg

Good shout, enjoy. 

9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Sorry but that squad is absolutely rank.  Get in any manager you want but there’s still far too many of them still won’t be able to do the basics that a professional footballer should be doing.  We’ve got a squad full of bottom 6 standard players with a few exceptions (unfortunately nearly all the exceptions are currently injured).  What we’ve got available at the moment is dross. 

have to agree and the main issue rests with the people tasked with recruitment and talent spotting which is absolutely dire. all those involved in those processes need to all be binned asap

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Sorry but that squad is absolutely rank.  Get in any manager you want but there’s still far too many of them still won’t be able to do the basics that a professional footballer should be doing.  We’ve got a squad full of bottom 6 standard players with a few exceptions (unfortunately nearly all the exceptions are currently injured).  What we’ve got available at the moment is dross. 

If what you say is true " got a squad full of bottom 6 players" or " dross" then it would indicate the previous manager was very good, verging on brilliant to get us to even 4th!

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If what you say is true " got a squad full of bottom 6 players" or " dross" then it would indicate the previous manager was very good, verging on brilliant to get us to even 4th!

Yes he was a footballing genius who was unfairly hounded out having performed miracles.

But he's gone. Time to move on.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Yes he was a footballing genius who was unfairly hounded out having performed miracles.

Wouldn't say that, but if the poster believes that the squad as is bad as he stated then it would indicate the previous manager done well to get even 4th with it.

The contradictions and flip flopping by some is incredible and not making sense on so many levels.

2 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The board appointed Steven Naismith after this one season managing in B league 

F9G11aDWkAEWLoc.jpeg.jpg

Tbf I heard Sirling Uni and Bo'Nesss had some top players last year. Davie. fae Pllton got 20 goals alone.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Wouldn't say that, but if the poster believes that the squad as is bad as he stated then it would indicate the previous manager done well to get even 4th with it.

The contradictions and flip flopping by some is incredible and not making sense on so many levels.

If we hadn’t sacked Neilson we wouldn’t have finished 4th. The wheels had come off completely and we might not have won another game with him in charge.

3 hours ago, Skacelsid said:

We must bin this coaching model that has failed us (and continues to) going back too  many years under various guises. Football has changed and we are at a standstill. Football is a more dynamic, faster game than the one we are still trying to master and the  minimum requirement is fitness. Failed at step one. How the hell is Cochrane so unfit, you think he had not trained for a year and other regulars are not much better. Walking football does little for fitness it would seem. I do think Naismith would like to change but it is not possible with this so called coaching team. The board will not question them as, well they appointed them. Clear the lot out and get an experienced coach in maybe even keeping SN as assistant there are also plenty ex players Neil McCann, Colin Cameron, Locke. Craig Gordon could have a part to play. We must change, it may hurt and third place will be difficult, I am past caring about that now, but let's get some pride back on that park.

This. 👏👏

If you even watch the SPL highlights, you'll see how off the mark we are fitness wise. When Vargas ran down the right wing he was nearly at the goal and we had players about 25y behind running like a dad in a kids sack race. We are so unfit it's not even funny anymore. Definitely need to address fitness and coaching. This seems to be the biggest problem. 

23 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

If you even watch the SPL highlights, you'll see how off the mark we are fitness wise. When Vargas ran down the right wing he was nearly at the goal and we had players about 25y behind running like a dad in a kids sack race. We are so unfit it's not even funny anymore. Definitely need to address fitness and coaching. This seems to be the biggest problem. 

I don't understand how this keeps happening. Stendel spotted it straight away after picking up from Levein. Then Robbie comes out with this bollocks to justify NOT doing the extra fitness sessions he did in 2014 as the squad was older so needed more rest. 

At our level, we're not good enough to coast on technical ability. Fitness is absolutely essential, and its insane that our managers haven't taken it seriously. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

:spoton:

especially about the being a genius miracles and being hounded out :(

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Korky said:

If we hadn’t sacked Neilson we wouldn’t have finished 4th. The wheels had come off completely and we might not have won another game with him in charge.

Or we might have beaten hibs twice and finished 3rd.

No one will ever know

It's speculation either way.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, OTT said:

I don't understand how this keeps happening. Stendel spotted it straight away after picking up from Levein. Then Robbie comes out with this bollocks to justify NOT doing the extra fitness sessions he did in 2014 as the squad was older so needed more rest. 

At our level, we're not good enough to coast on technical ability. Fitness is absolutely essential, and its insane that our managers haven't taken it seriously. 

Do you honestly believe a unfit team finished 3rd then 4th in the top division in Scotland?

C'mon tae ****,eh?

I don't think we have unfit players I think we have a number who are recovering from serious injuries and need to get up to speed. What I do think is lacking, in some cases,  is the physicality and battling mentality for the scottish game. Cochrane was thrown in on Sunday as it was a case of needs must but clearly wasn't ready for a game of that magnitude against the league's best team. Against lesser opponents we would have had more of the ball with less running and tracking. The guy is a worker but he is just back after several weeks out. 

Tokyo Drifter
16 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

To be fair he improved us when he came in, unfortunately he hasn’t been able to make any further progress. 

And that's the problem. He probably improved us marginally - though not enough to make any difference to the eventual league position - and has since stalled. But he's not doing just quite badly enough to warrant his sacking, so we're in stasis: zombie club shambling towards another mediocre season with a squad of misfiring underachievers. 

I suggest that the mark of a manager is the ability to improve players. Have not seen any improvement in ANY player with the last two incumbents, in fact, players seem to go back the way.

12 minutes ago, noskillson said:

I suggest that the mark of a manager is the ability to improve players. Have not seen any improvement in ANY player with the last two incumbents, in fact, players seem to go back the way.

It's the coaches that improve plyaers

1 hour ago, bean counter said:

It's the coaches that improve plyaers

Yes... They will be part of the management team overseen by the manager....

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Tokyo Drifter said:

And that's the problem. He probably improved us marginally - though not enough to make any difference to the eventual league position - and has since stalled. But he's not doing just quite badly enough to warrant his sacking, so we're in stasis: zombie club shambling towards another mediocre season with a squad of misfiring underachievers. 

Indeed. He seemed to make a quick enough impact, the said we would be good by the end of August when everyone was fitter, we played 9 games in 29 days. He then said we would be flying by Xmas, with the run of games ahead of us i cant see that happening. 

19 hours ago, Carter said:

I'd imagine we could pay c. £400,000 per annum for the right candidate. You're probably talking around £1M a year to fund a proper management team. That shouldn't be beyond our reach. 

Hearts will be the biggest club that Neilson and Naismith will ever manage. 

You're right and I'll come back to when the accounts are published. If we are showing a profit of over £1 million then it is crazy to employ a cheap option when we get far better for that £ million. Money in the bank is pointless when the product on the pitch is awful. Speculate to accumulate. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, noskillson said:

I think Halkett got better under RN and Oda has improved under SN but that is nowhere near enough obviously. 

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, hisnameis said:

I don't think we have unfit players I think we have a number who are recovering from serious injuries and need to get up to speed. What I do think is lacking, in some cases,  is the physicality and battling mentality for the scottish game. Cochrane was thrown in on Sunday as it was a case of needs must but clearly wasn't ready for a game of that magnitude against the league's best team. Against lesser opponents we would have had more of the ball with less running and tracking. The guy is a worker but he is just back after several weeks out. 

Surely the physical side of is part of their lack of fitness? Not enough time or progress made in the gym. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think Halkett got better under RN and Oda has improved under SN but that is nowhere near enough obviously. 

Forrest has definitely improved too.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Forrest has definitely improved too.

Possibly, hes a bit of a headless chicken really who has no idea what he’s going to do when he gets the ball. If he took on the fullback a bit more he would be of more use.

9 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

You're right and I'll come back to when the accounts are published. If we are showing a profit of over £1 million then it is crazy to employ a cheap option when we get far better for that £ million. Money in the bank is pointless when the product on the pitch is awful. Speculate to accumulate. 

Even more so when you consider £5M a year is going into the club via benevolence and FoH subs. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to pay a chunk for an experienced manager. I can only conclude the Board don't want someone who'll take them outside of their comfort zone.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Carter said:

Even more so when you consider £5M a year is going into the club via benevolence and FoH subs. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to pay a chunk for an experienced manager. I can only conclude the Board don't want someone who'll take them outside of their comfort zone.

The Board want to maintain the warm fuzzy feeling by not getting an experienced manager especially someone who is not a yes man.

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

It's been discussed in the past as to what the club should do with the FOH money, should it just go into the general running of the club or should it all/part of it be used for a specific purpose. I think the latter should be the case then members can see where their money is going. I have suggested in the past at least 50% of the money (£750000) be put towards the coaching team on top of what we already pay. 

2 hours ago, noskillson said:

Ginnelly and Halkett improved under Neilson imo. Gino arguably has Neilson to thank for adapting the team to fit him in and give him the platform to grab that lucrative move to Swansea.

58 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

It's been discussed in the past as to what the club should do with the FOH money, should it just go into the general running of the club or should it all/part of it be used for a specific purpose. I think the latter should be the case then members can see where their money is going. I have suggested in the past at least 50% of the money (£750000) be put towards the coaching team on top of what we already pay. 

I'm inclined to agree. When you review our yoy financial performance you're left wondering what things might look like without the JA/FoH funding. Certainly isn't giving us any competitive advantage. That's beyond dispute. You actually wonder if it's a necessity in order to even perform as we are, which if the case is frankly scandalous.

There was some talk of FoH potentially funding a new training facility going forward as a concept. Mentioned by a FoH Director when standing for re-election but all has gone quiet since. The costs involved would be vast and would doubtless require considerable generosity from benefactors once more. 

When James Anderson oersonally introduces his own money into the club each year at a level of almost 70% of the annual turnover of a club like St Mirren, who've performed at a similar level to us over the past 18 months you really have to question the direction of the club and the management thereof. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Gershwin said:

Ginnelly and Halkett improved under Neilson imo. Gino arguably has Neilson to thank for adapting the team to fit him in and give him the platform to grab that lucrative move to Swansea.

Yip.

Hickey, Halkett, Shankland,  Cochrane , Souttar.

Arguably Mckay, Simms,  even Sibbick improved

Most of the above got caps, international  recognition, moves from us or had their best full seasons to date.

Some folk dinna half talk mince.

On 23/10/2023 at 06:57, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

This shit show can't go on any longer! From the top down heads must roll and now not weeks or months down the line.

Chief executive and sporting director should be utterly ashamed of themselves for appointing a manager who's only experience was managing the b team and without even the required qualifications to manage in Europe, total gross incompetence and they should be out the door this morning.

Naismith is so far out his depth it's untrue and him , McAvoy and Forrest should be out the door this morning aswell and we should be speaking to people like Jim Jefferies to help lead the search for a proper experienced management team with a track record befitting the 3rd biggest club in Scotland with the best supporters in the world.

This downright stupid experiment has got to be stopped now and people who sanctioned it held accountable because who could trust them to get next appointment correct?

Empty seats yesterday shows to me apathy has set in and it will only grow if this lot of charlatans are allowed to continue selling us short.

It's all very well growing income streams but this lot are wasting money at an alarming rate on experiments and absolute dross football players.

Get them to fcuk this morning.

I tend to lean toward the happy clapper side of things and will support my team no matter what, but I'm really low after Sunday. Its deeply concerning that Naismith is talking about these players being here long term because really there's only 2-3 of them that I would actually want here beyond this season. The rest are simply not good enough, or have the wrong attitude. And - perhaps controversially - I would include our so-called captain in that. If there's money on the table for him, we should take it and run. His attitude this season has been absolutely stinking and that peaked on Sunday when he decided to leather a ball into the Hearts support in the Wheatfield. Admittedly it was an idiotic move from the fan to throw the ball at the Celtic player taking the throw, but there was absolutely no need for that reaction from Shankland - especially towards his own fans. It was completely idiotic and he could have hurt someone quite badly. But the crux is that the gap between us and Celtic was quite simply astronomical and they absolutey strolled that game on Sunday. Even at our very best - which we did show in short bursts - we couldn't lay a glove on them. Even our goal came from nothing really, and was totally against the run no of play at the time.  

It runs deeper than the manager though - and extends well into the coaching setup. McAvoy, Forrest, and anyone else who has had a significant influence on first team affairs over the last few years, also need to go. Then we have a CEO, a board, and a DoF who are willing to openly lie to the fans and who constantly fail to deliver promises. 

BIG changes needed. We deserve better. 

The first step is to get rid of the manager, who should never have been given the job in the first place (and his staff) and to invest in someone new to come in and bring in his own team. He needs to be given the resources to make some significant improvements in January if we're going to get anything from this season, and if we're going to have the slightest sniff of third place. But that's just the start.... 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Cochrane improved under Neilson as well and has regressed since he left. Devlin improved under Neilson in terms of becoming an internationalist whilst with us. You could also argue Shankland had his best ever season in football under Neilson.  Makes no odds because Neilson is gone but there’s comparators there to be used in the future 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

I'm inclined to agree. When you review our yoy financial performance you're left wondering what things might look like without the JA/FoH funding. Certainly isn't giving us any competitive advantage. That's beyond dispute. You actually wonder if it's a necessity in order to even perform as we are, which if the case is frankly scandalous.

There was some talk of FoH potentially funding a new training facility going forward as a concept. Mentioned by a FoH Director when standing for re-election but all has gone quiet since. The costs involved would be vast and would doubtless require considerable generosity from benefactors once more. 

When James Anderson oersonally introduces his own money into the club each year at a level of almost 70% of the annual turnover of a club like St Mirren, who've performed at a similar level to us over the past 18 months you really have to question the direction of the club and the management thereof. 

You have to wonder what Anderson thinks of it all? Not sure I could sit back and watch what’s happening with my money. 

• davemclaren locked this topic