Should Steven Naismith be sacked? ( merged )

David McCaig

Should Steven Naismith be Sacked?  

956 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steven Naismith be Sacked?

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, NextGenerationJambo said:

That's not true though is it? Money, and more specifically wage bill, is by far the most important factor when it comes to footballing success, but is not the only one. The factors that are in our control are not currently being maximised. 

agreed, but it is the most important.  Two year ago if we had pep guardiola in charge we still wouldn’t have finished better than third 

Again, I've seen very few attack everything and anything about the club and I've seen very few people claiming that we should be winning the league. The hyperbole applied to an opinion that is contrary to one's own is frightning. You only have to look at the mass exodus last Sunday to guage the general consesus of the fanbase. These are legitimate concerns and expectations. 

by your own admission you aren’t here very much,  attacks on the club really aren’t up for debate. Absolutely rife on here whether you’ve read them or not. No one mentioned winning the league.  

Responses in line where to responded to me.  

Are we achieving the maximum? Definitely not. Are we a basket case? No absolutely not. Most like we will still finish top 4 which is par for us 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soonbe110

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Pasquale for King

• kingantti1874

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip,

Most top managers went straight in at big clubs

Even closer to home and more recent successful managers-

Robson who got Aberdeen 3rd....

Bob who ast got us 3rd (twice)...

Gerrard at Rangers....

Davidson at St Johnstone....

Clarke, first manager gig Killie iirc..

Going to England,  top 2 teams last Season- who where Pep's and Aterta's first clubs to manage?

Do folk think before they post?

:rofl:

27 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

maybe mate.  I’ve said before that I think we are in a problematic market for  players in that.  

Make too much money that they don’t believe they have to fight for their livelihood or their  family.  

But they also realise they will probably never achieve and don’t have winners mentality. they don’t demand success.

players on £800 a week are fighting for their family.  

players on £20k per week are fighting to win.  Becuase they are driven individuals.

what are our players on £5k fighting for? A slightly upgraded BMW or a holiday to Turkey? 

Hmmm not buying this at all. "Driven individuals" by their very nature are trying to get to the next level, those on £800 a week trying to get to £5k a week and once they do they try to get £20k a week. And I can assure you that there are driven players at every level of professional football. A Bournemouth player on 20k a week is not fighting to win, he's fighting to survive at that rarified level. He's not competing to win against the 100k a week player just like a Motherwell play on £1200 a week ain't fighting to win against a Rantic player on £12k a week. 

Hearts are in a problematic market because the overall finances of the Scottish game mean that we are competing against much less attractive clubs, in numerous countries, who all have more money than us. It means there is less room for error and unfortunately overall, we are not doing a good enough job of that side of things. The club is much more important than any player especially at our level. There needs to be a culture that demands certain targets are met, accountability of performance from staff and squad alike. There needs to be the correct leadership and experience that can make the best of what we do have and are capable of, not folk who constantly make excuses and are rarely held accountable because of what we don't. 

Hearts are an amazing football club with so much going for us but we aren't getting close to making the most of things because for whatever reason we haven't put in place the best people to develop and grasp that potential. 

10 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Going purely by squad value, ours is around €9 million more than Killie, who have the lowest in the league.

But our squad value is around €110 million behind Celtic, who have the highest squad value in the league.

Don’t have the wage stats on hand, but I’d imagine it follows a similar pattern.

To me, that pretty much demonstrates why this argument that we should be banging on the doors of Celtic & Rangers, and miles ahead of the rest, is unrealistic.

The vast majority on here accept we are a million miles from challenging the OF, but we should on a consistent basis be ahead of Hibs and Aberdeen, not miles ahead but ahead. In the summer of 2022 a football financial  analyst was quoted as saying if Hearts finished 3rd again and with the increased finances from that, we would by well ahead of Hibs and Aberdeen. The board blew it and that is unforgiveable. 

19 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That's not what he said, but fair enough.

Does every good  manager do that?

These posters do have a point though

in the history of hearts which manager has gone on to a bigger and better club?

and if they have what success have they had

cant think of anuy

NextGenerationJambo
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Responses in line where to responded to me.  

Are we achieving the maximum? Definitely not. Are we a basket case? No absolutely not. Most like we will still finish top 4 which is par for us 

Agreed, we wouldn't have finished better than third, but we wouldn't have been 28 points adrift in third either. We probably wouldn't have rolled over and got our bellies tickled in the final either, despite injuries. 

I said I didn't post that often, I can see what people say on here and on other platforms, as well as in the pub and at the games. The ones who are attacking everything and anything and acting out of irrationality and emotion are in the minority in my opinion. But, honestly it's hard to blame them. I was utterly disgusted on Sunday, and have been after far too many games recently. The team is insipid at times. 

Our sporting director has mentioned winning the league has he not? I expect us to compete with celtic and rangers to the same level if not slightly more than everyone else in the league. Celtic have put 3 or more past us at Tynecastle on 19 occasions since the turn of the century, worst record of any team in the league. It's not unreasonable to expect us to be better than that. 

kingantti1874
10 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Hmmm not buying this at all. "Driven individuals" by their very nature are trying to get to the next level, those on £800 a week trying to get to £5k a week and once they do they try to get £20k a week. And I can assure you that there are driven players at every level of professional football. A Bournemouth player on 20k a week is not fighting to win, he's fighting to survive at that rarified level. He's not competing to win against the 100k a week player just like a Motherwell play on £1200 a week ain't fighting to win against a Rantic player on £12k a week. 

Hearts are in a problematic market because the overall finances of the Scottish game mean that we are competing against much less attractive clubs, in numerous countries, who all have more money than us. It means there is less room for error and unfortunately overall, we are not doing a good enough job of that side of things. The club is much more important than any player especially at our level. There needs to be a culture that demands certain targets are met, accountability of performance from staff and squad alike. There needs to be the correct leadership and experience that can make the best of what we do have and are capable of, not folk who constantly make excuses and are rarely held accountable because of what we don't. 

Hearts are an amazing football club with so much going for us but we aren't getting close to making the most of things because for whatever reason we haven't put in place the best people to develop and grasp that potential. 

just a theory. I don’t see enough from a lot of them most of the time. 

Sinbad the Sailor
9 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

cant think of anuy

Good post

17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip,

Gerrard at Rangers....

Going to England,  top 2 teams last Season- who where Pep's and Aterta's first clubs to manage?

I think you are being a little disingenuous here 

robson didn’t really get third. He managed a team for circa 10 games. Let’s see how he gets on over his first season

bon - yip there is truth there 

gerrard - a stooge who was supported by his an excellent backroads team who did the work - see what he is doing now. Lampard a case in point

davidson - done his training/trade as an assistant

clark - down his trade as an assistant manager at many clubs

hearts 

first gig almost all the time recently 

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

cant think of anuy

I'm not to fussed about that, are some now at the stage of judging Hearts managers by what they do after us?

The mental gymnastics is amazing and what it has to do with Naismith is beyond me.

JJ, Sergio,  Doddie even Bob.

What does ot matter what they do after?

Iss jj shite because he crashed at Bradford?

It's amazing the depths some stoop to in order to justify a dig at Hearts in someway. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, heatonjambo said:

I think you are being a little disingenuous here 

robson didn’t really get third. He managed a team for circa 10 games. Let’s see how he gets on over his first season

bon - yip there is truth there 

gerrard - a stooge who was supported by his an excellent backroads team who did the work - see what he is doing now. Lampard a case in point

davidson - done his training/trade as an assistant

clark - down his trade as an assistant manager at many clubs

hearts 

first gig almost all the time recently 

Not at all, they had their first manager gig with those clubs and done well.

Was Naismith not involved with the scotland set up as well?

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'm not to fussed about that, are some now at the stage of judging Hearts managers by what they do after us?

The mental gymnastics is amazing and what it has to do with Naismith is beyond me.

It's amazing the depths some stoop to in order to justify a dig at Hearts in someway. 

You need to accept Neilson isn't very liked,as a player yes manager no.

And the fans booing in his last match should tell you that.

kingantti1874

1 minute ago, NextGenerationJambo said:

Agreed, we wouldn't have finished better than third, but we wouldn't have been 28 points adrift in third either. We probably wouldn't have rolled over and got our bellies tickled in the final either, despite injuries. 

Maybe 20 points adrift with pep.  No guarantee we’d have been closer with McInness, Robinson or anyone else actually gettable. 

I said I didn't post that often, I can see what people say on here and on other platforms, as well as in the pub and at the games. The ones who are attacking everything and anything and acting out of irrationality and emotion are in the minority in my opinion. But, honestly it's hard to blame them. I was utterly disgusted on Sunday, and have been after far too many games recently. The team is insipid at times. 

a loud minority maybe. And yes I agree but I do blame them because it doesn’t help

Our sporting director has mentioned winning the league has he not?  Well challenging I think? Could be wrong but either way an absolute farce I expect us to compete with celtic and rangers to the same level if not slightly more than everyone else in the league. agreed but they absolutely raise game against us also . Not an excuse Celtic have put 3 or more past us at Tynecastle on 19 occasions since the turn of the century, worst record of any team in the league. It's not unreasonable to expect us to be better than that. agreed it’s embarrassing. Zero excuse but they do treat our fixture differently as do our bent officials 

Our options will be limited to someone who will work with a sporting director (Joe Savage)

This is a mainstay of the Hearts model, and fact is many experienced coaches will not work underv that model or someone they have no connection with, if we identify someone and at interview stage say they will not work under that model, we will not offer them the post

This leaves most desperate or young coaches as our options 

Edited by jbee647

10 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I didn’t think I was trying to have a pop at hearts

the fact of the matter Is, that in our history, managers tend to peak with us and when they do they we’re successful.

as such why are we employing absolute trainees rather than finding a manager who can peak with us

jj And Paulo to name 2

NextGenerationJambo
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You think pep would have only had us 8 points better off over the course of a season than Neilson? I'm sorry but that is just nonsense. Pep is a genuis and is arguably one of the best tacticians of all time. I agree regarding McInnis and Robinson but with all due respect, we don't know who is aquirable. We don't know who applied for the post. The manager is the most important person at the club. The sooner hearts realise this, the better. 

A loud minority indeed, don't let them drown out the reason though and please don't place us in the same category. 

I'm sure he said we start every season out trying to win the league and that is our goal (as it should be at the start of every season, for any team, aim high and all that...). I agree it's a farce, we have been all talk no trousers for a while now. 

You say there is no excuse but then give excuses... the same way our manager and sporting director do. We don't want excuses we want solutions. We aren't asking for mountains to be moved, we are asking for accountability behind the footballing decisions because in my humble opinion, they have not been good enough recently. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

How does any manager get a job and  start then?

What a strange post.

Jim Jefferies 12 year managerial apprenticeship before Hearts.

Hawick Royal Albert. Gala Fairydean. Berwick Rangers. Falkirk.

Naisy Hearts B in the Lowland League.

Shooter McGavin
6 minutes ago, Nerja Jambo said:

The vast majority on here accept we are a million miles from challenging the OF, but we should on a consistent basis be ahead of Hibs and Aberdeen, not miles ahead but ahead. In the summer of 2022 a football financial  analyst was quoted as saying if Hearts finished 3rd again and with the increased finances from that, we would by well ahead of Hibs and Aberdeen. The board blew it and that is unforgiveable. 

The underlying point being we simply shouldn’t be, we’d like to be, but realistically we’re operating on a very similar level wage wise to Hibs and Aberdeen.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, NextGenerationJambo said:

You think pep would have only had us 8 points better off over the course of a season than Neilson? I'm sorry but that is just nonsense. Pep is a genuis and is arguably one of the best tacticians of all time. I agree regarding McInnis and Robinson but with all due respect, we don't know who is aquirable. We don't know who applied for the post. The manager is the most important person at the club. The sooner hearts realise this, the better. 

You can only polish a turd so much. That aside it’s a nonsense argument.  In the context of modern football we are about the 50th most attractive club in the U.K. and the 150th in Europe. We are raking in the bargain bucket hoping to find a gem 

A loud minority indeed, don't let them drown out the reason though and please don't place us in the same category. 

I'm sure he said we start every season out trying to win the league and that is our goal (as it should be at the start of every season, for any team, aim high and all that...). I agree it's a farce, we have been all talk no trousers for a while now. 

You say there is no excuse but then give excuses... the same way our manager and sporting director do. We don't want excuses we want solutions. We aren't asking for mountains to be moved, we are asking for accountability behind the footballing decisions because in my humble opinion, they have not been good enough recently. 

I think Naismith was worth the punt becuase every manager we go for  is a punt, is he still worth it? I was disappointed for him when we lost those 2 crap goals v hibs when we were v good.   I felt the same on Sunday as I did when neilson lost 3 zip to rangers .  Raging 

20 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Good post.

But ultimately recruitment and philosophy have to stick, by doing this you allow smooth transition.

When you do lose players/ manager or other staff.

The problem as you said is having the right people in place.

To reach our goals and potential.

What I will say though the way Naismith wants to play is a positive to me.

We can get rid of him,but the problem is far bigger than just him,and if the problem isn't fixed we will continue to achieve the same results regardless.

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Jus a shame we never got him earlier,  opportunity missed.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip,

Gerrard at Rangers....

Clark failed at Reading I think 

25 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Clark failed at Reading I think 

Steve Clarke who managed West Brom 50+ games in the EPL? Or am I missing something

1 hour ago, heatonjambo said:

cant think of anuy

Not a club but Levein went on to be Scotland manager. 

7 hours ago, Sir PH said:

I did, when they were younger. And we managed to escape unscathed from those big, bad, nasty songs. 

Bully for you! 👍

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Aye and what a great job he did….

6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Bully for you! 👍

Don't get me wrong, it was tough. But they managed to forget the songs they heard at a football match, and move on with their life. Close shave, though.

7 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Absolutely! When the cup wins come it makes them even more special that we've waited years for them, best days of my life outwith Birth of my kids

I followed Hearts for 33 years through crushing failures, disappointments and tears. After we won the cup in 1998 the relief to get the monkey off our back was a joy for ever. 

2 minutes ago, Sir PH said:

Don't get me wrong, it was tough. But they managed to forget the songs they heard at a football match, and move on with their life. Close shave, though.

So pleased to hear that. Well done. 👏

5 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Going purely by squad value, ours is around €9 million more than Killie, who have the lowest in the league.

But our squad value is around €110 million behind Celtic, who have the highest squad value in the league.

Don’t have the wage stats on hand, but I’d imagine it follows a similar pattern.

To me, that pretty much demonstrates why this argument that we should be banging on the doors of Celtic & Rangers, and miles ahead of the rest, is unrealistic.

Agreed although maybe a decent first step would be to stop the Killie side you mention routinely coming to Tynie and picking up results 😁

On 25/10/2023 at 23:52, Thomaso said:

An opinion very many totally disagree with.

That’s cause most Hearts fans are pant wetters with no loyalty to club legends. 

13 hours ago, NextGenerationJambo said:

That's not true though is it? Money, and more specifically wage bill, is by far the most important factor when it comes to footballing success, but is not the only one. The factors that are in our control are not currently being maximised. 

Again, I've seen very few attack everything and anything about the club and I've seen very few people claiming that we should be winning the league. The hyperbole applied to an opinion that is contrary to one's own is frightning. You only have to look at the mass exodus last Sunday to guage the general consesus of the fanbase. These are legitimate concerns and expectations. 

Ah, so unless a post is riddled with logical fallacies it's meaningless in your eyes? Noted. 

I wasn't trying to be anything other than myself :laugh2: but I am so very flattered, even if it was in haste...

My toys are firmly in the pram and the adult nappies are clean as a whistle. You can keep whipping out fallacies in an attempt to devalue opinions but it won't work. If you think my post was created from rage or "pant wetting" as people on here love to put it, you could not be more wrong. 

Seeing as I've spectacularly missed the point (sorry, it was hard to spot in amongst the name-calling and erroneous logic), you'll need to enlighten me. 

You started off by saying fans accept mediocrity and failure. My point you clearly keep pretending to miss is you can recognise the failings without the need to scream for everyone connected to club to be sacked. It seems measured and patient responses file you straight into the happy clapper/mug category. For context here we are 4th in the league and in the semi final of one of only two competitions we can potentially win. Yes we could be doing a lot better and our head coach recruitment especially needs looked at. However we are building the club up the off field is racing ahead of the on field  progress which skews the perception that things are so bad at the club. Using history or magnitude of the old form budgets to show this again does mean you accept failure in any way.  

So if like you said you could share a few examples on here of people accepting failure that would be great. 👍

Selkirkhmfc1874
12 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

And went on to invent the no attackers on the pitch formation 

15 hours ago, TallPaul said:

Folk talking about Knutsen like he would ever be a realistic target for us. When he leaves Bodo it will be for English football or similar. Get real folks...

You're right! however, at least it would show some ambition on the part of our board if names like that were banded around.

Are we just prepared to accept mediocracy for the sake of it?

The Cufientes guy might have, or might not have worked....who knows?.......But at least he appears at the level of management we should be targeting
Like many on here I have absolutely no confidence that this board will suddenly have a light bulb moment and actually do some real solid recruitment 

14 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

What about Robbie? He had no experience and has unarguably been our best manager since admin. 

I suppose it doesn’t matter, Naismith is failing badly and the one thing we won’t do is hire a replacement without experience. 

9 hours ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Genuinely curious to what our wage budget would be for recruiting a new manager?

Naismith will be on an absolute fortune.  We gave him a 4 year contract to join us and theres no chance he has walked away from that bumper deal when he became our manager.  Couple that with the fact we are still paying robbie the loser until July 2025 our spend on managers must be insane.  

Selkirkhmfc1874
11 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

What about Robbie? He had no experience and has unarguably been our best manager since admin. 

I suppose it doesn’t matter, Naismith is failing badly and the one thing we won’t do is hire a replacement without experience. 

We had just come out administration and in the championship though 

33 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Naismith will be on an absolute fortune.  We gave him a 4 year contract to join us and theres no chance he has walked away from that bumper deal when he became our manager.  Couple that with the fact we are still paying robbie the loser until July 2025 our spend on managers must be insane.  

And folk want to compound that by adding a new management team's salaries while still paying the current team for another 3 years.

Just now, cazzyy said:

And folk want to compound that by adding a new management team's salaries while still paying the current team for another 3 years.

Budge should negotiate the termination of all their contracts paid out of her pocket.

3 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Budge should negotiate the termination of all their contracts paid out of her pocket.

Aye that's normal practice.

44 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We had just come out administration and in the championship though 

Yep and as we grew stronger we then appointed worse managers with more experience. 

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

That would be a nice gesture. 

11 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

You’ll want to compound it as well, if things get worse under Naismith. It’s just a case of how bad it needs to get before almost all supporters want change and some folk are already at that point. 

NextGenerationJambo
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

You started off by saying fans accept mediocrity and failure. My point you clearly keep pretending to miss is you can recognise the failings without the need to scream for everyone connected to club to be sacked. It seems measured and patient responses file you straight into the happy clapper/mug category. For context here we are 4th in the league and in the semi final of one of only two competitions we can potentially win. Yes we could be doing a lot better and our head coach recruitment especially needs looked at. However we are building the club up the off field is racing ahead of the on field  progress which skews the perception that things are so bad at the club. Using history or magnitude of the old form budgets to show this again does mean you accept failure in any way.  

So if like you said you could share a few examples on here of people accepting failure that would be great. 👍

You can call for change whilst also being "measured and patient". The two are not mutually exclusive. Not every "happy clapper" is measured and patient and not every "moaning faced *****" is shouting for everyone at the club to be sacked, there is far too much nuance for that to be the case. 

I am fully aware that things could be worse, but you haven't provided the full context. We also have one solitary home league win so far this season. The entire managerial set up at the start of this season was amateurish. The board's track record for football decisions is looking increasingly poor - which hardly comes as a surprise when there is not a single person with previous experience of running a football club. Aside from all that, just look at the team! The recruitment has been extremely hit or miss. People bang on about additional revenue streams, developing players and player trading is one of our most lucrative options when it comes to bringing money into the club, but we are massively underperforming in this area. You can't possibly feel inspired watching this current team play? As many have alluded to it feels like a chore at the moment. There are very few visible signs of progress. It is only natural for people to ponder if this coaching team is out of it's depth when we regularly fail at the very fundamentals of football. And it is only natural to consider how the board went about making this decision. 

Just because someone isn't displaying sage levels of patience when it comes to the footballing departments performance doesn't make their opinion any less valid. People are trying to be proactive. We have already suffered in the past by not acting quickly enough. 

I don't have the time to read through hundreds of posts cherry picking specific ones of people accepting mediocracy. It is a general feeling I guage from many fans that I know personally and indirectly. We are never going to improve if we already believe we are meeting expectations. It really is as simple as that.