*** Official Heart of Midlothian v Motherwell Thread***

TexasAndy

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

Everyone else has had a shot and failed in midfield so no reason not to give Grant a game. 

I was thinking about that as well. Not sure he has the fight in him… maybe Halliday would be a better option.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Cruyff

• Pasquale for King

• buzzbomb1958

Ricardo Quaresma
57 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Please no sick of seeing him in there he is hopeless! 3 games now we’ve done it and he has looked lost in every single one. 

Lost? In one game against partick, where he done well, of course, as you'd expect, plus a couple of short sub appearances?

Edit: FFFF

You're on about Sibbick, surely

I think this is interesting:

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Clark

Cochrane

Kingsley

Kent

Atkinson

Vargas

Devlin

Lowry 

Oda

Shankland 

Tagawa

Offiah in at CH if Kingsley is out. 
Lets get back to pressing teams and shooting on sight, and high tempo. 

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Ricardo Quaresma
55 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Everyone else has had a shot and failed in midfield so no reason not to give Grant a game. 

You want to throw grant in to this game after the last 3 games?

-

If we don’t start hitting shots we will lose this game. Motherwell will be well aware of our weaknesses on the counter attack and with crosses.

Similar to the Killie game but think it will be 2-0 Motherwell

2 minutes ago, Rods said:

If we don’t start hitting shots we will lose this game. Motherwell will be well aware of our weaknesses on the counter attack and with crosses.

For sure they will know our weaknesses. We never seem to know the oppositions weaknesses tho.

4 minutes ago, Rods said:

They have no strikers mind. And Motherwell, unlike Killie generally attack and concede goals. With the likes of Shanks and Boyce in the team, we will definitely create chances. Would be shocked if we don’t score on Sunday. 

It’s the other end I’d worry about unless there is a change.

Clark

Offiah Kent Kingsley Cochrane 

Devlin Halliday

Vargas Shankland Lowry

Tagawa

Ricardo Quaresma

Need those shots on goal stats we had last 6 games of last season

-

9 hours ago, Scott980612 said:

Clark. 

Offiah Kent Sibbick Cochrane  

Devlin    

Lowry 
  Vargas                                         Oda  

Boyce      Shankland  

Atkinson & Rowles drop out - too much off a liability , both off them. 

Lowry starts - prove your good enough to be at hearts , and use your set pieces, especially if Kingsley out   

Vargas and Oda to stretch Motherwell back line - need to be direct and work hard  

1-0 hearts 

We shouldnt go anywhere near this lineup imo.

Yes, it's got lots of attacking players for going forward but it becomes pointless if you have no controlled possession. When Motherwell start to dominate the 1 defensive midfielder and back 4 they will get over run. We'd get out fought and hammered.

I'd go the opposite. Drop an attacking player from the 4231 and go 433. Get control of the middle of the park and to be able to break up play and pick better passes.

Something like

Clark

Atkinson

Sibbeck

Kent

Cochrane

Devlin

Grant / Nieuwenhof

Denholm / Halliday

Vargas

Shankland

Oda

Rather than the wide men in a 4231 getting caught between pressing or dropping the front 3 in a 433 can all push up to try win the ball higher up the park as a 3 in midfield allows them to shuffle across to the side of the ball and those on the left or right of the 3 to close the space in front of the fullbacks if required. 

Only 3 "attackers" but hopefully better control of the game and more chances created.

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

For sure they will know our weaknesses. We never seem to know the oppositions weaknesses tho.

I am sure we do but don't have the players to carry out the instructions to take advantage. 

7 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Clark

Devlin Halliday

Vargas Shankland Lowry

Tagawa

Don’t disagree with that midfield but Beni and Devlin joined in summer 2021 and we haven’t signed a decent midfielder since despite the former being injured for most of the time. 

The fact Halliday is an option for a starting place says a lot about our recruitment. 

I think whatever we do, we need to play actual midifelders in midfield. Halliday was in the media moaning about his lack of playing time. Grant is also a midfielder. Either or, should be playing tomorrow. 

Need to go for Sibbick and Kent at the back too. Toby needs a vote of confidence I think, and this will help him.

8 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Need those shots on goal stats we had last 6 games of last season

-

Exactly. What is happening that we have at times reverted to the form that got Neilson sacked? 
One nil down and a throw in at the half way line, after an eternity goes back deep into our defence, possession lost and we’re in self inflicted trouble? We lose a stupid goal because of meaningless short sideways passes or an unnecessarily risky short free kick at the back. Midfielders, who aren’t naturally midfielders with no forwards pass. Players bullied out of possession. 
We need our injured players back sharpish, a team selection shake up and an attacking, shot taking style back consistently… not asking much 😬🤣
Naismith to sort it out and Frankie to firmly take a back seat from now on please 🙏 🤞

11 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think whatever we do, we need to play actual midifelders in midfield. Halliday was in the media moaning about his lack of playing time. Grant is also a midfielder. Either or, should be playing tomorrow. 

Need to go for Sibbick and Kent at the back too. Toby needs a vote of confidence I think, and this will help him.

Agreed. 

9 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

You want to throw grant in to this game after the last 3 games?

-

He’s no worse an option than playing Sibbick or Denholm IMO and at least looks to move the ball forward. Having anyone else in there is just defensive midfielders who don’t offer anything offensively. I would pair him with Devlin tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Clark

Devlin Halliday

Vargas Shankland Lowry

Tagawa

Will Kingsley be fit after that fall on Thursday? 

57 minutes ago, FJT said:

2-0 us

🤞

Any win will do tomorrow and take a scrappy 1-0 at this stage going into the break. It’s important to get wins at home especially when we are so poor on the road.

3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Any win will do tomorrow and take a scrappy 1-0 at this stage going into the break. It’s important to get wins at home especially when we are so poor on the road.

Yeah I’d take a scrappy 1-0 too (though I can hope for more!) any kind of win is important tomorrow for points as well as psychological reasons. 👍

Just now, FJT said:

Noticed on another thread @chrystaf mentioned players getting the ball in midfield area but stopping, throwing their arms up as if to say, wtf do I do next/who is there to pass to. Same at throw ins! Noticeable at points during the game at Dens and it’s not something I want to see again. 
Faster tempo and more showing for a forward pass needed.

we had a poor ish start to 85-86 season…(yes I know that’s ancient history) 😬 here’s hoping we improve soon. Keep the faith! 🤞

22 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Rowles to start. Concede first. Boo's from the stands. Maybe even a McAvoy gtf chant.

That's my predictions.

yep. Wonder what starting line up will come out the tombolla. It’s the same pish as Robbie.  Defenders in CM 🤣 when Jorge Grant isn’t getting a sniff.

I predict a 1-1 draw even with Motherwell without their forwards all unfit. And also predict an enjoyable few pints prematch in 1874 bar watching the arsecheeks. 

IMG_3966.thumb.jpeg.c554c53e6a00bdd45fbfd4a1e11f2f73.jpeg

Edited by 1971fozzy

17 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Any update on Kingsley, looked like a sore one he got on Thursday. 

Also any news on Haring or Beni 

Or Hoff or McKay.

Nope, we get told nothing by the club.

21 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

No news as per usual.  It’s par for the course. No updates on injuries at all. Been that way for a while. It’s a disgrace in all honesty. Only guess that it’ll be for ages as both players history of injuries does nothing to suggest otherwise.

Id be genuinely shocked to see either this side of Xmas given their history 

Edited by 1971fozzy

Whether people want to admit it or not, injuries mean the squad is stretched, confidence is low, there will be some fatigue after the trip to Greece. 

I hope we win. I expect us to draw 1-1. 

International break is needed. I think Kye Rowles needs taken out of the firing line.

Clark

Atkinson

Kent

Sibbick

Kingsley

Devlin

Grant or Denholm or Halliday 

Vargas

Boyce

Cochrane 

Shankland 

30 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Any update on Kingsley, looked like a sore one he got on Thursday. 

All at the local Health Centre waiting to get their sick notes signed 😐 we don’t need to know anything, we are just the fans.

2-0 Hearts , call me entitled. If we can't beat this shower at Tynecastle serious questions need to be asked by the board and answered by Naismith and Savage.

10 hours ago, AndyMcI said:

We shouldnt go anywhere near this lineup imo.

Yes, it's got lots of attacking players for going forward but it becomes pointless if you have no controlled possession. When Motherwell start to dominate the 1 defensive midfielder and back 4 they will get over run. We'd get out fought and hammered.

I'd go the opposite. Drop an attacking player from the 4231 and go 433. Get control of the middle of the park and to be able to break up play and pick better passes.

Something like

Clark

Atkinson

Sibbeck

Kent

Cochrane

Devlin

Grant / Nieuwenhof

Denholm / Halliday

Vargas

Shankland

Oda

Rather than the wide men in a 4231 getting caught between pressing or dropping the front 3 in a 433 can all push up to try win the ball higher up the park as a 3 in midfield allows them to shuffle across to the side of the ball and those on the left or right of the 3 to close the space in front of the fullbacks if required. 

Only 3 "attackers" but hopefully better control of the game and more chances created.

I'd rest/bench  Clark, Kingsley and Atkinson and drop Rowles. McGovern in goal. Offiah at RB and Sibbick at LCB. I'd also play Boyce in behind Shankland with Grant and Devlin also in midfield and your front three.

Clarke

Cochrane Sibbick Kent Atkinson 

Devlin Grant

Lowry Shankland Oda

Vargas

Need someone with movement and a wider range of progressive passing in midfield. Grant is the only fit player that has this.  Window is shut, so the Vlad flu can GTF. 

Lowry is a bit hot and cold, but also looks for the through balls. We can be incredibly linear and predictable in our passing. With no McCay, Lowry is worth the risk. 

Looks harsh on Boyce who has been one of our best players - but him and Shankland occupy the same space which, alongside having played two outright DMs in most games, ends up with us playing the polo mint formation which makes it really hard to progress the ball through midfield and leaves us really open to counters. It also makes a basic low block extremely effective against us. So despite effectively playing 424, we have lack enough threat to justify the risk. 

I would be tempted to put Vargas up top in the Gino role to stretch play. Got to stretch play on our narrow pitch - not make it easy for our opponents to contract it. 

Put Oda back in front of Atkinson to support him with his exceptional work rate. 

Whatever we do, we need better links between defence, midfield and attack. 
The long ball stuff hoping for a Velcro touch and several successful one-twos might make sense against strong European opponents, but we need to convert 60% possession into shooting chances. That means more movement and more ball players. 

Edited by CMc

6 minutes ago, CMc said:

Clarke

Devlin Grant

Lowry Shankland Oda

Vargas

Need someone with movement and a wider range of progressive passing in midfield. Grant is the only fit player that has this.  Window is shut, so the Vlad flu can GTF. 

Lowry is a bit hot and cold, but also looks for the through balls. We can be incredibly linear and predictable in our passing. With no McCay, Lowry is worth the risk. 

Looks harsh on Boyce who has been one of our best players - but him and Shankland occupy the same space which, alongside having played two outright DMs in most games, ends up with us playing the polo mint formation which makes it really hard to progress the ball through midfield and leaves us really open to counters. It also makes a basic low block extremely effective against us. So despite effectively playing 424, we have lack enough threat to justify the risk. 

I would be tempted to put Vargas up top in the Gino role to stretch play. Got to stretch play on our narrow pitch - not make it easy for our opponents to contract it. 

Put Oda back in front of Atkinson to support him with his exceptional work rate. 

The long ball stuff hoping for a Velcro touch and several successful one-twos might make sense against strong European opponents, but we need to convert 60% possession into shooting chances. That means more movement and more ball players. 

Good post👍 I like the bit about Vargas in the Gino role.

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, CMc said:

Clarke

Devlin Grant

Lowry Shankland Oda

Vargas

Spot on, good people are seeing the similarities between Boyce and Shankland and they don’t really work together. 

13 hours ago, McCrae said:

The team isn’t looking balanced in midfield. We need to start Grant or Halliday to play alongside Cammy.

Im no fan of grant. Not my cup of tea. But given the options and the window closing, we have to give him a run. He's pretty much the only genuine forward thinking option in the middle.

33 minutes ago, CMc said:

Clarke

Devlin Grant

Lowry Shankland Oda

Vargas

any chance you could email that to McAvoy&co's wee ipad

I think Motherwell will be the team to beat this season. We have to win this game at Tynecastle and I think we’re more likely to do so with Grant in midfield than we are with Cochrane or Sibbick

56 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

I'd rest/bench  Clark, Kingsley and Atkinson and drop Rowles. McGovern in goal. Offiah at RB and Sibbick at LCB. I'd also play Boyce in behind Shankland with Grant and Devlin also in midfield and your front three.

Clark has begun to look 'uninspiring'....why?

Captain Canada

Motherwell are no mugs, so this will be a tough game after Thursday's heat and travelling. 

I don't think the formation's working at the moment, it's too predictable. 

We won't change it drastically mid-season, though, so I'd probably go for this starting lineup. 

Clark

Grant Halliday 

Oda Lowry Vargas

Shankland 

We definitely need to freshen things up, but the midfield options aren't great at the moment. 

Every time I pick a team on here now, I feel like it's a rubbish one, but everyone seems to be playing poorly. 

Edited by Captain Canada

16 hours ago, ramrod said:

The common denominator in those home games was neither Rosenborg,  PAOK, or Thistle sat in.

The games we struggle in are the likes of Killie and Dundee when we have to break teams down. We are clueless in this department boring , turgid one pace stuff that allows teams to funnel back quickly and wait for our inevitable mistakes at the back.

Exactly how it was under Robbie. So we have changed some of the players and yet we still can't find a way of breaking down stubborn defensive teams who hit on the break.

So what does that tell us? Our coaching staff aren't good enough or maybe the players aren't good enough or maybe a bit of both.

Either way it needs to get sorted quick otherwise there is going to be a lot of unrest among a restless set of fans.