Tired, tired, tired of underachieving shite - hotels, hospitality & nice stadium

Craigieboy

Lord Beni of Gorgie
49 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I haven’t ever tired that. Might grab some on way home tonight and sample. 

Ginger beer type mixer, I was pleasantly surprised, decent alternative

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Kennyfragg13

• cazzyy

• jack D and coke

The hotel and hospitality will bring in more money in time, but it's certainly hindering us at the moment with squad investment or managerial ambitions.

I was quite happy with Naismith after the stark change in style of play and the amount of shots we had on goal. This season though, it's like we've got Neilson or Levein back in charge. What on earth is going on now? In hindsight, I wish we had went for an experienced manager at cost over finishing off the new stand now.

We need to replace Rowles and we need to get an actual midfield again. It's crazy we're shifting Grant out the squad while playing both Cochrane and Sibbick in midfield in a European game.

1 minute ago, kila said:

The hotel and hospitality will bring in more money in time, but it's certainly hindering us at the moment with squad investment or managerial ambitions.

I was quite happy with Naismith after the stark change in style of play and the amount of shots we had on goal. This season though, it's like we've got Neilson or Levein back in charge. What on earth is going on now? In hindsight, I wish we had went for an experienced manager at cost over finishing off the new stand now.

We need to replace Rowles and we need to get an actual midfield again. It's crazy we're shifting Grant out the squad while playing both Cochrane and Sibbick in midfield in a European game.

Can't say better than that. All a bit of a disappointment since the future looked good.

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Ginger beer type mixer, I was pleasantly surprised, decent alternative

Oh I’ve had a jack and ginger beer actually. Nice😋

Wasn’t sure what Canada Dry was. 

Can't disagree with any of this. I wasn't at Dundee or PAOK away but from what I've read the manner of the defeats are concerning. Didn't think there was too much between the teams when we played PAOK at home, however their technical skills, ball retention and movement was light years ahead of us.

I understand we've never been consistent in terms of trophies won and league placings, but given the amount of investment in the club in recent years, I'm looking for a bit more. If we're getting beat I'd like us to go kicking and screaming, not a meek shrug of the shoulders and 'we go again' type thing.

jack D and coke
56 minutes ago, kila said:

Grant is a better player than Sibbick who’d I’d leave in Greece tbh. I can’t think what he’s good at. 
Cochrane I like but he’s not a central midfield player. 
Beni coming into the Rosenberg game then never appearing again too. The selections seem scattergun and ill thought out. 

13 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

This isn’t a knee jerk after tonight’s result. That was fully expected.

I think I reached a really low point at the Rangers cup final. Just resigned that this is how things are and I don’t see any sign of it changing. I see nothing this season to change my mind.

I admire the Hearts support more than any other. We’re just so dedicated & unswervingly loyal. The FOH money, ST uptake and sell out hospitality being up there with examples of the £££££’s we’re all pumping in. We have increased our revenue significantly and are a properly stable club financially. 

We were handed a gift of a start to the league season but out of 3 games we’ve collected 4 points out of 9. It’s abysmal. I really feel for the fans travelling to away games now. It’s abject shite on the park. We are doing all the right things off the pitch and we have award winning and admirable projects all over the place. A fancy hotel that will bring in yet more increased revenue. No doubt we will see glossy Twitter videos and all sorts of fancy awards for that too.

Yet, we’re shite. You can’t keep just saying “but other teams have improved.” We have a huge budget by comparison. And, nothing to show for any of it, year upon year.

Fed up.

PS - well done to all you Hearts fans that have travelled away and supported the team. That’s pure dedication.

I'm in this shitty boat.

Too many projects, too much trying to be clever with the management and basically we have become a very arrogant club with not enough balls to back it up.

9 hours ago, Costanza said:

I get some of the back to back finishes compare well to previous seasons but that just highlights how much we were underachieving.

We have everything in place off the park in a financially stable sense for the first time in my lifetime but is that reflected on the park?

If you're being honest about the last 2 seasons, we finished 3rd and 4th in a piss poor league and against catastrophically bad Aberdeen and Hibs sides. Would also argue the 3rd place was inflated by how good Craig Gordon was that season.

Our style of play and away form has been consistently chronic and our recruitment very mixed.

We have unprecedented backing financially and from the fans (FoH, season tickets, phenomenal away support) and we're nowhere near overachieving or showing signs of progression.

The academy, player trading model, players improving with good coaching; don't think you can point to any of those and go, yeah we're excelling there.

There's a hint of frustration and probably unrealistic expectation in the above pish but it just feels like we're not where we should be as a club on the park and that's what irks so many I guess.

Good post.

It does feel a bit as if the club is squandering the slim (v OF) financial advantage that the fans are able to provide against the rest of the league. We all know that money doesn't necessarily mean success. Paying a couple hundred grand for a player is not much different from getting player on a free nowadays though. Christ, Arsenal just sold a guy who played for them twice for tens of millions...35m to be exact. 

Shooter McGavin

It is quite galling that during a time when we’re probably as sound financially as we’ve ever been, and well run as a business, when it came to appointing a new manager on the footballing side of things the best we could come up with was our B team manager who had them mid table in the lowland league, and doesn’t have the required qualifications to officially take on the role.

Not going to have a full blown meltdown at this stage, but I’m definitely worried about the rest of the season.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
32 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

we have become a very arrogant club with not enough balls to back it up.

:spoton:

“very arrogant” 

how could that ever have happened 🤷‍♂️

Nelly Terraces
13 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

I think I reached a really low point at the Rangers cup final. Just resigned that this is how things are and I don’t see any sign of it changing. I see nothing this season to change my mind.

I admire the Hearts support more than any other. We’re just so dedicated & unswervingly loyal. The FOH money, ST uptake and sell out hospitality being up there with examples of the £££££’s we’re all pumping in. We have increased our revenue significantly and are a properly stable club financially. 

We were handed a gift of a start to the league season but out of 3 games we’ve collected 4 points out of 9. It’s abysmal. I really feel for the fans travelling to away games now. It’s abject shite on the park. We are doing all the right things off the pitch and we have award winning and admirable projects all over the place. A fancy hotel that will bring in yet more increased revenue. No doubt we will see glossy Twitter videos and all sorts of fancy awards for that too.

Yet, we’re shite. You can’t keep just saying “but other teams have improved.” We have a huge budget by comparison. And, nothing to show for any of it, year upon year.

Fed up.

PS - well done to all you Hearts fans that have travelled away and supported the team. That’s pure dedication.

Well said buddy. Your Hearts supporting credentials cannot ever be questioned & it's guys like you & thousands others I feel more sick for than anything. I honestly don't think the board care whether Hearts are winning or not, as long as the cash is rolling in then they're not fussed too much about results on the pitch. 

Felt the same after the cup final. To me it looked like we'd pitched up with no intention on tying to win that game & were hoping to get to penalties. There was virtually no attacking intent whatsoever from us. Which is indicative of how things have been for years now. I gave up my ST & going to games for 3 seasons as in all honestly, I was just bored out my skull & it was a total waste of my spare time going along. Have ben back for 2 years but another season of this sort of nonsense & I'll not be back next year either. Got far more positive things in my life I can be doing. 

Michael Stewart hit the nail on the head last night when returned to 4 at the back from 3, having started with 4. He said they don’t even know what formation they want to play never mind which players are most suited to it. Shambles

14 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

Fed up.

I disgree. In Europe I think we have done well, beating Rosenborg was a good result and maybe above expectations. Losing to POAK was expected based on the differences in budget. We are very much a work in progress. Our squad is better this year than last year. 
Looking at the league and the other teams finishing 3rd is a very realistic target. Injuries to our midfield players is a concern and could result in a lower than expected league performance.

awadooningorgie2

I just can't recognise this team from the one which played the last 7 games last season.

Savage giving McEvoy more power?  I also suspect there will be a difficult dynamic in terms of Savage insisting his signings are good enough to cover his back........ Can't see Naismith towing the line if he doesn't agree...

4 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I disgree. In Europe I think we have done well, beating Rosenborg was a good result and maybe above expectations. Losing to POAK was expected based on the differences in budget. We are very much a work in progress. Our squad is better this year than last year. 
Looking at the league and the other teams finishing 3rd is a very realistic target. Injuries to our midfield players is a concern and could result in a lower than expected league performance.

Your settling for mediocracyin my opinion.he hearts teams of the past achieved results against far better opposition than rosenborg or Paik  ie bayern.athletico,etc.done with a bit of spirit and pride in the jersey.

2 hours ago, Kev1998 said:

Your settling for mediocracyin my opinion.he hearts teams of the past achieved results against far better opposition than rosenborg or Paik  ie bayern.athletico,etc.done with a bit of spirit and pride in the jersey.

Not at all. The money in football has changed things since those days.We have fallen far, but are recovering. It will take time and how far/fast we recover will depend on the finance of the club.

5 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Grant is a better player than Sibbick who’d I’d leave in Greece tbh. I can’t think what he’s good at. 
Cochrane I like but he’s not a central midfield player. 
Beni coming into the Rosenberg game then never appearing again too. The selections seem scattergun and ill thought out. 

And that can't be good for the players.  How often in recent games have we seen the player(s) with the ball stopping and raising their arms in a "what do I do now?" gesture.

The Old Tolbooth
18 hours ago, Craigieboy said:

Fed up.

You absolutely epitomise my feelings about the club exactly mate, I have the chance to watch Hearts on Sunday, or go and visit my grandson in Dundee as my daughter has a weekend off, and I think I'm going to head to Dundee as I just can't be arsed any more, it's the same shit on a different week and it's utterly draining. 

Your post could easily win post of the year btw :clap: 

I can forgive a sloppy start to the season in some respects as we simply don't have the strength in depth to cope with the demands of playing Thursday/Sunday every week. We saw that last season too. I know it's up to the management to try and address that but we just don't have the financial clout to deal with that the same way the likes of Celtic and Rangers can. 

But yes, I totally agree with the principle. Something's been a little off with the club for a while now for me, and if I'm honest, it's generally not been that enjoyable with regards to the 'football department'. I've bought into a lot of the progress we've made off the pitch in recent years. The club is almost unrecognisable from a decade ago which is mostly positive, but I can't help but feel we've lost a bit of our identity along the way.

There was a bit of transparency from the club last summer when we were bumming up how great we were and how we were going to take the world by storm. Then we bottled 3rd place, sacked the manager and it's all went a bit hush hush again. In reality, the 2020/21 season was actually a very fortunate campaign. We didn't piss 3rd because we were so good, more the fact that the teams who should be competing for 3rd with us were utter guff and the likes of Motherwell and Dundee United in their place, couldn't consistently match us. It was a good season and we did well, but the minute we were faced with a bit of competition by Aberdeen when they finally got their shit together we chucked it.

A lot of the steps that have been made off the park are good for our long term sustainability and I won't decry them. But, at what point can you start being a little miffed that we're still watching shite on the park?

joondalupjambo

I never give up hoping.

Just keep remembering in 85/86 season.  We went 9 league games, with some really dodgy results before we drew 1-1 with Dundee and then went on to nearly win the league and appear in a Cup final.

Never ever give up hope.

Edited by joondalupjambo

After 60 plus years watching Hearts the accumulation of disappointments has left me feeling a bit beaten down although maybe that’s partly just old age.

Our collapse from third to fourth last season made me feel weary and a bit guilty that I’ve introduced my kids and grandkids to this world of underachievement.

Bitter experience has led me to always feel that some disaster is looming even when things seem to be going ok!

Still going along though as it’s in my family DNA.

37 minutes ago, Korky said:

After 60 plus years watching Hearts the accumulation of disappointments has left me feeling a bit beaten down although maybe that’s partly just old age.

Our collapse from third to fourth last season made me feel weary and a bit guilty that I’ve introduced my kids and grandkids to this world of underachievement.

Bitter experience has led me to always feel that some disaster is looming even when things seem to be going ok!

Still going along though as it’s in my family DNA.

3rd/4th is what we can expect with our current budget. We are performing in-line of where you would expect.

periodictabledancer

Just came back from holiday today so followed the game on here last night.

What is there to say ?

Are we harder to beat ? Do we look better orgnanised defensively?  Any improvements in the forward areas ? Are we EVER getting a competent CM ? 

I'd love to hear SNs response to the question "what improvements have you actually made ?". 

I'm not seeing it.

I was at the PAOK game last week in corporate and the apathy is telling - very little conversation about ther game per se. More of a night out , interrupted by "football". 

I asked my lad what he thought so far  ... " wake me up when the season's over". 

I have zero faith the board have any clue what they're doing about the "football dept" apart from telling the fans what they think they want to hear and incredible levels of self - contradictory statements over the apppointment of SN. 

Bazzas right boot

4th last season,  3rd the season before. 

Where's the underachievement,  why is a nice stadium a bad thing and why is making more money from hospitality and hotels shite?

10 hours ago, kila said:

As far as I’m aware, I think it’s been made clear a number of times the off the field investments are being made from a different ‘pot’ to the playing budget. The benefactors are investing in infrastructure type projects for the future and won’t blindly throw money in on wages. 

The rest of your post is spot on for me. 

13 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Where's the underachievement,  why is a nice stadium a bad thing and why is making more money from hospitality and hotels shite?

Will you please give it a rest! It's the football were playing  utter shite. Wake up man

3 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

I never give up hoping.

Just keep remembering in 85/86 season.  We went 9 league games, with some really dodgy results before we drew 1-1 with Dundee and then went on to nearly win the league and appear in a Cup final.

Never ever give up hope.

Me too but it’s hard to imagine this mob going 31 games unbeaten. 

Some proper shite being talked here lads.

It’s not the same as when we used to win the league every year and beat Diddy  teams 6 nil oh hold on that’s never happened. 

We are shite we won’t get much better we may have the odd  season where we are less shite but the pattern  won’t be changing unless we get serious money so embrace it or prepare to be in a cycle of despair. 

McGlynn The Money
4 minutes ago, Elmo said:

It’s not the same as when we used to win the league every year and beat Diddy  teams 6 nil oh hold on that’s never happened. 

We are shite we won’t get much better we may have the odd  season where we are less shite but the pattern  won’t be changing unless we get serious money so embrace it or prepare to be in a cycle of despair. 

Well that's a cheery wee post for a Friday night...

2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yes but that’s 2 seasons out of almost 150.

On 31/08/2023 at 20:35, Craigieboy said:

Fed up.

I'm getting so disillusioned by it all. Properly disillusioned. Even in the championship I didn't feel this way. As you said, we're the most stable we've been in years but we are terminally pedestrian. The support is absolutely unreal. Most other clubs couldn't dream of having such devoted fans, yet we get handed a pile of shite. People are FAR too comfortable in their jobs behind the scenes and it's absolutely strangling the club.

36 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I'm getting so disillusioned by it all. Properly disillusioned. Even in the championship I didn't feel this way. As you said, we're the most stable we've been in years but we are terminally pedestrian. The support is absolutely unreal. Most other clubs couldn't dream of having such devoted fans, yet we get handed a pile of shite. People are FAR too comfortable in their jobs behind the scenes and it's absolutely strangling the club.

This x million%

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Korky said:

Yes but that’s 2 seasons out of almost 150.

That makes even less sense. 

So where is the underachievement atm then?

Recruitment have made some howlers, whilst we still hang onto crocked or not good enough players, combine that , with rather than going for an experienced manager we decide to take a punt on the cheap option of SN ( no ill feelings to SN & I do hope he succeeds)

That is not a recipe for success

24 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

That makes even less sense. 

So where is the underachievement atm then?

Go back to my op. I’m talking about significant underachievement over the club’s history and in my lifetime as a supporter.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Korky said:

Go back to my op. I’m talking about significant underachievement over the club’s history and in my lifetime as a supporter.

It's not your op.

You're not making any any sense.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's not your op.

You're not making any any sense.

You remind me of that old Monty Python sketch where a guy tries to buy an argument and finds that his opposite number merely contradicts everything he says.

Goodnight.

On 31/08/2023 at 20:35, Craigieboy said:

Fed up.

Hand your season ticket in and go and support someone else.

It's pretty brutal tbh. When we brought in Tagawa and Vargas I thought we were going to be class (add to that Lowry's performance against Saints where he took them apart) but at the moment we look totally lost. Every decent Hearts team has always had one player who could make something happen out of nothing. At the moment we look like a team just trying to get through the 90 minutes. 

5 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

5 hours ago, Kev1998 said:

Will you please give it a rest! It's the football were playing  utter shite. Wake up man

Have you seen the thread title? 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, cazzyy said:

Have you seen the thread title? 

Yip and I've addressed each point. 

3rd and 4th isn't underachievement. It's our level.

And I fail to see what is wrong with hospitality, a hotel  and a nice stadium. 

Do we want a shite stadium,  crap hospitality and no money from a hotel?

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, dannymack said:

Hand your season ticket in and go and support someone else.

This is a solution. 

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, Elmo said:

Yip, 3rd is the best and unless you demand we finish 3rd every season until the end of time be prepared for a season worse than 4th.

Folks expectations are unreal.

However there are issues,  our away form continues to be poor and we seem slow to address areas of concern in the team,  last season a CH, this season the midfield. 

Our transfer policy and scouting isn't great imo.

Unfortunately,  any real debate is lost  amongst the shite football chat, the womunz team, anti Budge shite , gripes about having a  nice stadium and a hotel being built. 

Utter nonsense. 

Some Folk really seem to have lost the fact football is a competitive sport and think it's a pre planned show to entertain Hearts fans only. 

The end result is toys oot the pram followed  by everyone oot to fix the issue.

It's never worked, probably even linked to our historical underachievement in some way.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

8 hours ago, Korky said:

You remind me of that old Monty Python sketch where a guy tries to buy an argument and finds that his opposite number merely contradicts everything he says.

Goodnight.

No he isn't!! 😛

From decades of watching Hearts I think it's fair to say that there have been plenty of downs and there always will be, but they seem to make the highs so much more glorious when they happen. It's less boring than watching a team that nearly always wins!

south morocco
23 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

The board are as pissed off with the performances and style of play as we are

I expect changes to this end 

Interesting. What kind of changes do you think? 

47 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

The board are as pissed off with the performances and style of play as we are

I expect changes to this end 

I hope you are right.