***Official Heart of Midlothian v PAOK Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

They weren’t great but they were definitely better than Rosenborg who frankly were rubbish. 

Seen no evidence of that at all. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• OTT

• Bongo 1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shooter McGavin

Don’t think we seen PAOK anywhere near their best at Tynecastle the other night, that was our chance to get a result and we came up short.

They’ll be much better 2nd time round I reckon. Knowing us, we’ll either get hammered or nick a 1-0 win to send it to extra-time.

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

Don’t think we seen PAOK anywhere near their best at Tynecastle the other night, that was our chance to get a result and we came up short.

They’ll be much better 2nd time round I reckon. Knowing us, we’ll either get hammered or nick a 1-0 win to send it to extra-time.

They’ll be a lot better on Thursday. We missed a huge opportunity. 

8 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Do you seriously give us a prayer on Thursday?!  For me we could play this game a dozen times and we might get through once. 

I do yes . If we had managed to win the home leg 1 - 0 or 2 - 1 which was possible during the match but for an off side and a switching off , then I would have us as favourites . As it is we are underdogs to be sure , but we have won against the odds I. The past and right now under Naismith and McAvoy we seem to do better against the better sides and struggle against defensive Scottish chunder sides 

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I do yes . If we had managed to win the home leg 1 - 0 or 2 - 1 which was possible during the match but for an off side and a switching off , then I would have us as favourites . As it is we are underdogs to be sure , but we have won against the odds I. The past and right now under Naismith and McAvoy we seem to do better against the better sides and struggle against defensive Scottish chunder sides 

Well you are certainly positive I’ll give you that! If we’d had a one goal lead I’d still have us significant underdogs as they’d just go up a gear or two. If we come away with anything but a two or three goal loss I’ll be surprised. Just don’t see big results in this Hearts team especially away from home. Hope you are correct though! 

1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

After Sunday, ejection may be a blessing in disguise domestically

I think we need to think bigger than that . Sunday was total pish but nobody has started this season well and we are not exactly being left behind . We would not need to spend as much of what we make this season if we hit the groups , so we could scoop the money and add to the coefficient , but also just prioritise the domestic competitions and just take the cash 

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Well you are certainly positive I’ll give you that! If we’d had a one goal lead I’d still have us significant underdogs as they’d just go up a gear or two. If we come away with anything but a two or three goal loss I’ll be surprised. Just don’t see big results in this Hearts team especially away from home. Hope you are correct though! 

I could well be wrong , just how I see it 

pettigrewsstylist

Suspect we will wilt in the heat. Expect them to batter us for first 30 mins. They had a couple of key starters missing last week.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Only going by what I've seen when an attack minded player plays in our midfield 2. Grant definitely poor when he has been in there. Did Mckay play there?

I suppose that was under a different manager. We haven’t seen Lowry there yet, he would be better than Devlin attacking wise, who has done well getting forward. For me Tagawa and Shankland up front with Vargas, Oda and Lowry feeding them would work well, maybe a bit kamikaze at the start obviously. I think that if we don’t attack from the start on Thursday we will be dead as soon as the score, but theres a balance to be had. 
We have a definite problem in there just now obviously.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I suppose that was under a different manager. We haven’t seen Lowry there yet, he would be better than Devlin attacking wise, who has done well getting forward. For me Tagawa and Shankland up front with Vargas, Oda and Lowry feeding them would work well, maybe a bit kamikaze at the start obviously. I think that if we don’t attack from the start on Thursday we will be dead as soon as the score, but theres a balance to be had. 

Aye that’s fair enough. We do need to attack to have any chance. We don’t have a good enough defence or midfield to be patient. If we play it cagey we don’t have a chance. 

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Aye that’s fair enough. We do need to attack to have any chance. We don’t have a good enough defence or midfield to be patient. If we play it cagey we don’t have a chance. 

It will be interesting to see what pans out. 

59 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not seen anything yet from Tagawa that would merit game time other than he runs around a lot ( albeit with not much purpose).  Perhaps a different set up would suit his game.   Not as down on the team as many on here are after Sunday, get the CM sorted and we’ll be fine.

One huge effort required to hit the group stages and the prestige / income that comes with it. We aren't expecting to beat PAOK on their own patch but a team of determined players giving their 100% is the only way we will manage it. PAOK were not convincing against a promoted team at the weekend.

We are only a goal down and anything can happen on the night. I'd much rather that than being reemed 5-0 on your own patch and playing a dead rubber (in ****ing Birmingham).

Hopefully the players have been watching Bordeaux, Braga and Basle matches. We've previous for punching above our weight during away in Europe.

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yes. Ship has sailed, unfortunately. Bar a miracle performance but we couldn't even muster that against the maestros of Dens Park.

13 minutes ago, Arry said:

Not seen anything yet from Tagawa that would merit game time other than he runs around a lot ( albeit with not much purpose).  Perhaps a different set up would suit his game.   Not as down on the team as many on here are after Sunday, get the CM sorted and we’ll be fine.

Do goals count?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, Sooks said:

I think we need to think bigger than that . Sunday was total pish but nobody has started this season well and we are not exactly being left behind . We would not need to spend as much of what we make this season if we hit the groups , so we could scoop the money and add to the coefficient , but also just prioritise the domestic competitions and just take the cash 

Our midfield is not in the right place to win the match. I dont think we have it in us, yes we need to think bigger, alas, we dont have the bodies, or the mindset, the poise, the nous, to carry it off.

Instead we can watch Aberdeen take the money and get horsed instead, watch their morale nosedive and their fans get worked up.

Not qualifyiing, I am hopeful our focus will be strong on League and Cup, our injury list reduced, and maybe get the breathing space, which I think we badly need to train to the next level. 

Right now all I see is confusion, which is hardly surprising, so many new bodies, so many injuries, so many games, its felt like this for a year.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Arry said:

Because we barely play a pass behind a defence for him to run onto, we wont get far with Shankland and Boyce starting away from home. The big pitch requires our faster players to exploit the extra space, and someone in midfield who can get the ball to them. 

7 hours ago, Gundermann said:

Do goals count?

Sure do, and there are players who, based on the way we currently set up,  look more likely to score than him based on what I’ve seen so far.  

3 minutes ago, Arry said:

Sure do, and there are players who, based on the way we currently set up,  look more likely to score than him based on what I’ve seen so far.  

He's had one goal in 167 minutes of football. He may turn out to be a disappointment but I wouldn't write him off yet.

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, Arry said:

Which ones?

Ricardo Quaresma

Clark

Kent              Offiah

Atkinson                                                                Kingsley

Devlin            Cochrane

Shankland (C)

Oda                                                                        Tagawa

Vargas

******* into them, about them, round them and through them

FULL ATTACK, subs only if essential

Switch the forwards to see who's good against who

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Can’t help but feel pessimistic about this one. 

Big park plus the heat , can see this just being too much for hearts.  

PAOK win by a few goals I think  

13 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It’s a pity there isn’t more buzz around this. Seems to be zero expectation of us going through

Thats just on here really . Most Hearts supporters I have spoken to are right up for it

11 minutes ago, Scott980612 said:

Not sure why the big park should be a problem , we have lots of players who love to run with the ball

ScandinavianJambo

I always have hope, but one has to be realistic. The heat, the size of the park, our away record, and the difference in quality all speaks against us.

Do I still want us to win. Hell yeah!

30 minutes ago, ecky92 said:

The temperature drops massively when sun goes down, so heat should be a problem. 

It's forecast to be 30 at KO with a real feel of 34.

That sort of heat with a fair degree of humidity will be brutal.  The only thing in our favour there might be Oda and Vargas on the sides.  They're not unused to that kind of climate.  

Only hope here is on the counter I reckon on that massive pitch. Vargas and oda are our quickest so I’d like to see them both start.

51 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

It's forecast to be 30 at KO with a real feel of 34.

Nah won’t be when the sun goes down. It’s warm but not your usual hot hot 

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

That sort of heat with a fair degree of humidity will be brutal.  The only thing in our favour there might be Oda and Vargas on the sides.  They're not unused to that kind of climate.  

You could also add Tagawa, Devlin, Rowles and Atkinson to that list. 

Pasquale for King

Yeah taking the heat in to account im even more convinced we need our quicker players involved, as most are from the Southern hemisphere. 

Edited by Pasquale for King
Spelling

Everyone over thinking this game. We will do them 100% .🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

22 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Suspect we will wilt in the heat. Expect them to batter us for first 30 mins. They had a couple of key starters missing last week.

It’s the same heat for both sets of players. Being used to it makes no meta-physical difference in terms of fatigue and de-hydration. It’s about how you manage it and they’ll have done that a lot more than we have. You can certainly see us not lasting very far into the second half, so subs are going to be key. Most important thing is to score first and early so we can sit still for a while and not have to chase it all night. We can’t be chasing the game all night there and I’d bite your hands off for a walking pace snorefest 1-0 and penalties right now

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s the same heat for both sets of players. Being used to it makes no meta-physical difference in terms of fatigue and de-hydration. It’s about how you manage it and they’ll have done that a lot more than we have. You can certainly see us not lasting very far into the second half, so subs are going to be key. Most important thing is to score first and early so we can sit still for a while and not have to chase it all night. We can’t be chasing the game all night there and I’d bite your hands off for a walking pace snorefest 1-0 and penalties right now

Comditioning definitely plays a part on the psychological side of things . If you are not used to that heat you can get distracted and lose concentration . You can get frustrated and angry and it can transmit to how you use your body physically and also your timing

Humidity is a thing that people do not always understand properly too . There is a difference between a dry heat and a humid heat . It all comes down to our physiological response to over heating ………… we sweat

The reason we sweat is because the evaporating fluids on our skins cools us down 

Saline can not evaporate in to air with a higher water content so you do not sweat effectively and you do not cool down as a consequence . You lose the water and salt but you do not get the cooling effect of it 

Edited by Sooks

upgotheheads
4 hours ago, Scott980612 said:

Same size as Hampden.

On 29/08/2023 at 15:36, pettigrewsstylist said:

And guaranteed we will concede an early goal, taking any pressure off them

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, HMFC 86 said:

And guaranteed we will concede an early goal, taking any pressure off them

We simply have to stop losing early goals in these types of games. 

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Humidity is a thing that people do not always understand properly too . There is a difference between a dry heat and a humid heat . It all comes down to our physiological response to over heating ………… we sweat

The reason we sweat is because the evaporating fluids on our skins cools us down 

Saline can not evaporate in to air with a higher water content so you do not sweat effectively and you do not cool down as a consequence . You lose the water and salt but you do not get the cooling effect of it 

This.  High humidity can be a killer.  Higher humidity existing at sea level normally.  You get that dry heat at high altitude.