***Official Heart of Midlothian v PAOK Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

7 minutes ago, Chimp said:

I'm with you on that mate, as controversial as it seems to be. 

Rowles is actually capable of defending but his lack of physicality lets him down. Started the season well and has been absolutely jumped on as soon as he gave away that penalty. No going back for a lot of fans after that it seems.

The whole support seems to have totally off the deep end . Theres zero perspective or chance to discuss any thing with a bit of balance and nuance . Every thing is shit and if you attempt to even discuss the possibility that it is not , folk go absolutely mental

Rowles comes out to his man and more often than not is effective at pushing him wide or forcing him to pass back to the middle or opposition full back area . He lacks height and a bit of strength but with his back to goal he far more positionally aware and astute than Sibbick

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• GinRummy

• OTT

• Bongo 1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

The whole support seems to have totally off the deep end . Theres zero perspective or chance to discuss any thing with a bit of balance and nuance . Every thing is shit and if you attempt to even discuss the possibility that it is not , folk go absolutely mental

Rowles comes out to his man and more often than not is effective at pushing him wide or forcing him to pass back to the middle or opposition full back area . He lacks height and a bit of strength but with his back to goal he far more positionally aware and astute than Sibbick

Bang on. 

With our midfield too weak with limited options, this might work:

Vargas              Shankland

Boyce

Cochrane         Devlin         Atkinson

Kinglsey       Rowles          Kent            Offiah

Clark

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yip and if we win a few games we're gonna challenge the OF.

Not much in between. 

Sundays defeat seems to have ruined some folks week.

13 minutes ago, kila said:

With our midfield too weak with limited options, this might work:

Vargas              Shankland

Boyce

Cochrane         Devlin         Atkinson

Kinglsey       Rowles          Kent            Offiah

Clark

So 2 defenders in midfield again 🙃

Jack Torrance
30 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I was beginning to think there was no one left that wasn't losing their shit 😄 this place is batshit crazy, especially after a loss. Sunday wasn't good enough but hopefully just a blip this season.

The season will pan out fine, I reckon, we just need to get into our stride. Would like another CM in if we can, but looks unlikely.

I'll be wetting my pants on Thursday, but that'll just be the heat.

5 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

I was beginning to think there was no one left that wasn't losing their shit 😄 this place is batshit crazy, especially after a loss. Sunday wasn't good enough but hopefully just a blip this season.

The season will pan out fine, I reckon, we just need to get into our stride. Would like another CM in if we can, but looks unlikely.

I'll be wetting my pants on Thursday, but that'll just be the heat.

It seems to be an immediate reaction and it just boils over like a pot on the stove . Always the same folk and the hyperbole is crazy . Most supporters with a modicum of sense just lick their wounds and deal with the disappointment themselves with out losing their minds online egged on by the misogynists , the Hibs fans and the just plain dumb . Then after a day or two you find there are those who have been reading the total bullshit and quietly disagreeing . Then the debate and discussion returns but those who were gleefully building multiple bonfire threads do not like this turn of events and start with the tropes like happy clappers and shambles ect

We win and go through on Thursday and they will move on to things like now we will struggle in the league because of the European games , or picking out individual players as not good enough

It is all so very transparent repetitive 

14 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Clark

Atkinson Kent Sibbick Kingsley

Devlin Cochrane

Vargas Boyce Oda

Shankland

I’d rather play Kingsley centre half and Cochrane left back, but genuinely struggling to think of an available player that I would trust next to Devlin. I think we’ll go out but not without a fight.

Looks good to me (or as good as we can cobble together) 👍

PAOK are there for the taking. Zurich and Rosenborg were better sides IMO and far more dangerous than this lot. Nothing to fear with them whatsoever

MR INCREDIBLE
4 minutes ago, KG1874 said:

Dunno where I get the confidence but 2-0  HT and 0-0 FT. Group stage football here we come 

Did we get 2 goals taken off in the second half??

Late VAR calls !!!!

Just now, MR INCREDIBLE said:

Did we get 2 goals taken off in the second half??

Late VAR calls !!!!

😂😂 fs. 0-0 2nd half a meant. 

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

If we keep it tight first half, then have a bit more of a go in the second half and aim to nip a goal or two.

I don't think PAOK are anything special so we defo have a slight chance of going through. 

I'd go with:-

Clark

Offiah   Kent    Rowles    Kingsley 

Devlin    Nieuwenhof 

Vargas          Boyce        cochrane

Shanks

Nieuwenhof has a calf injury and didn’t travel. 

upgotheheads
21 hours ago, Chimp said:

Exactly the team I'd go for. Lowry over Denholm all day long for me though. 

I have seen nothing at all from Lowry to make me think he would have the energy and physicality of a defensive midfielder.

Just now, upgotheheads said:

I have seen nothing at all from Lowry to make me think he would have the energy and physicality of a defensive midfielder.

If we are playing an attacking player like Lowry in midfield it has to be a 4-3-3 with two DM's.

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Where did I say I'd have him as a DM?

upgotheheads

Game on TV?

I see that Viaplay are offering a one-month deal for £14.99 which includes the following,

Sports

Euro 2024 Qualifiers, LALIGA, Scottish Cup Football, URC.

I don't know what URC is but there's no specific mention of European  Conference league qualifiers (unless that's URC).

Has anyone used them?

SportsEuro 2024 Qualifiers, LALIGA, Scottish Cup Football, URC.

Just now, KyleLafferty said:

Clark

Natty Kent Rowles Kingsley

Cammy Denholm

Vargas Boyce Lowry

Shankland

Might be shoehorning him in but I'd prefer Cochrane in there. Lowry has been hit or miss and we need all hands to the pump from the off  here.

KyleLafferty
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Might be shoehorning him in but I'd prefer Cochrane in there. Lowry has been hit or miss and we need all hands to the pump from the off  here.

Ah forgot about Cochrane yeah he’ll probably be on the left wing. I think the best thing Hearts and Naisy could do is start denholm for his confidence, wasn’t solely his fault on Sunday but he’ll feel like it was.

Back to 2005
33 minutes ago, Chimp said:

PAOK are there for the taking. Zurich and Rosenborg were better sides IMO and far more dangerous than this lot. Nothing to fear with them whatsoever

PAOK are far superior to Rosenberg and slightly better than Zurich. Hope I’m wrong but don’t give us a hope. 

Can’t see it at all, looking crap in the league but done ok in Europe, still think paok will run out comfy winners, 3-1 on the night 

13 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

PAOK are far superior to Rosenberg and slightly better than Zurich. Hope I’m wrong but don’t give us a hope. 

You must have watched a different game to me last week then. Rosenborg looked far more dangerous than PAOK going forward. 

The fact we should have beaten them says it all about how good they really are.

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

If we are playing an attacking player like Lowry in midfield it has to be a 4-3-3 with two DM's.

Why? Clarkson is doing ok beside Shinnie for Aberdeen? 

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Game on TV?

I see that Viaplay are offering a one-month deal for £14.99 which includes the following,

Sports

I don't know what URC is but there's no specific mention of European  Conference league qualifiers (unless that's URC).

Has anyone used them?

1CA8DA6F-C759-4A1E-909A-2F71303C8964.jpeg

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Surely Devlin would do that whilst Lowry looks for forward passes?

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, poultry said:

Oh crap I thought we were BBC, oh well the pub it is then.

Hibs on BBC iplayer afterwards too 

20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Why? Clarkson is doing ok beside Shinnie for Aberdeen? 

Only going by what I've seen when an attack minded player plays in our midfield 2. Grant definitely poor when he has been in there. Did Mckay play there?

1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Game on TV?

Sports

Has anyone used them?

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Worth noting that your £15 subscription for one month should also cover the Killie league cup game, which has also been selected by viaplay.

2 hours ago, Chimp said:

😂

2 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

Clark

Natty Kent Rowles Kingsley

Cammy Denholm

Vargas Boyce Lowry

Shankland

Not a chance Denholm starts on Thursday. 

1 hour ago, Back to 2005 said:

1 hour ago, Chimp said:

You must have watched a different game to me last week then. Rosenborg looked far more dangerous than PAOK going forward. 

The fact we should have beaten them says it all about how good they really are.

Agree with @Chimp. PAOK do not look great shakes to me either . I thought both Zurich and Rosenborg looked better . PAOK just played a smart game with a poor referee who could not see through their antics

5 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Not a chance Denholm starts on Thursday. 

Oh, there's every chance. Mind you, in each of the games he's featured in thus far I've admired his endeavour, but he's lost the ball every game leading to palpitations.

If we start with an attacking line up and go at it full pelt I think we have a chance. If we sit back and neilsonball it we will lose by 3 or 4

Just now, Wee Mikey said:

Oh, there's every chance. Mind you, in each of the games he's featured in thus far I've admired his endeavour, but he's lost the ball every game leading to palpitations.

hes just not very good

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Agree with @Chimp. PAOK do not look great shakes to me either . I thought both Zurich and Rosenborg looked better . PAOK just played a smart game with a poor referee who could not see through their antics

Me too. But, PAOK played some decent stuff in amongst their ref-assisted antics.

We, as has been witnessed numerous times, kind of did it to ourselves.

I hate to reference Sunday, but that goal was (yet) another unique way in which we've managed to shoot ourselves in the foot.

8 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

We’ll see. I’ll be utterly astonished if he starts on Thursday. 

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Truth is none of those 3 teams are any great shakes. We’ve won 1 and lost 4 games out of the 5 though which tells the story. 

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

Thinks it's got to be Devlin and Cochrane in the middle.

Cochrane was abysmal in the home tie in midfield. No wonder though, he isnt a CM

19 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

😂

Not sure what you're finding so funny.

Do you honestly think PAOK were good against us? Would love to know what it was about them that you think they were far superior to the 2 other sides I mentioned..

Just now, Luckies1874 said:

Truth is none of those 3 teams are any great shakes. We’ve won 1 and lost 4 games out of the 5 though which tells the story. 

Fair point , but we have won one tie , lost one and the other is at the half way stage 

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Fair point , but we have won one tie , lost one and the other is at the half way stage 

Do you seriously give us a prayer on Thursday?!  For me we could play this game a dozen times and we might get through once. 

2 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Not sure what you're finding so funny.

Do you honestly think PAOK were good against us? Would love to know what it was about them that you think they were far superior to the 2 other sides I mentioned..

They weren’t great but they were definitely better than Rosenborg who frankly were rubbish. 

upgotheheads
29 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I think we will see Cochrane for sure.

Something like,

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

👍