*** Official Dundee v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread (merged) ***

Scott Leitch

I would really like to see us start to mix up our set pieces. We're painfully one dimensional about them, and I think if we were less afraid to try something that might not work, we'd potentially have some better pay off from them. 

I'm talking about those freekicks where we have a winger at the side of the pitch, the free kick towards the middle of the pitch and end up putting the ball into the box directly. 

Why not play a short ball to the winger to try and drive the ball towards the byline to put a cross in instead of just doing the predictable high ball. 

Austin MacPhee is now a set piece coach, and many EPL sides have set piece coaches for this reason - they can offer a serious threat if executed well! Look at Kingsleys goal at Hampden against Hibs, absolutely genius that we've basically never tried again. There is huge pay off here!!

Got to start thinking a bit more creatively with these chances. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Clark Griswold

• jr ewing

TweedbankJambo
8 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

A win for us 0-2.  With us resting Boyce

All after St Mirren beat the sheep shaggers and Livingston get a point at the piggery.

It will be a  pleasing weekend

How about livi getting all 3 points at the piggery 😂😅 

Never mind all the tactical this an that, its my 1st time in Dundee for a game, boozers, talk to me, I'll be in about 12ish...

4 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Shanks  

Vargas     Boyce       Yoda

Denholm Devlin  

Cochrane Kingsley Kent Chariots 

Clark 

This is very close to the team I would pick. 

It’s genuinely quite hard to choose right now, which shows how good the recruitment has been. 

I think that front four is a must. They seem weak defending down the flanks. Stick the speed merchants on and run at them. 

The fullbacks is tough. Kingsley deserves to start, but has had more minutes, so would go Cochrane who also deserves to start. 

Would be ok with Offiah starting. They’ve got a bunch of six foot plus players and like to cross - even if they have not been that effective recently . He’d be a threat in their box. 

If Denholm is fitter than Hoff and Beni, then fine. If the other two can do a half each without a disaster striking, that would be ace. They both need game time. 

Lowry on after an hour if we need to change it up. 

Edited by CMc

24 minutes ago, CMc said:

It’s genuinely quite hard to choose right now, which shows how good the recruitment has been. 

I think that front four is a must. They seem weak defending down the flanks. Stick the speed merchants on and run at them. 

The fullbacks is tough. Kingsley deserves to start, but has had more minutes, so would go Cochrane who also deserves to start. 

Would be ok with Offiah starting. They’ve got a bunch of six foot plus players and like to cross - even if they have not been that effective recently . He’d be a threat in their box. 

If Denholm is fitter than Hoff and Beni, then fine. If the other two can do a half each without a disaster striking, that would be ace. They both need game time. 

Cochrane still suspended 

LochcarronJambo
2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Cochrane still suspended 

He has not been good so far this season

28 minutes ago, CMc said:

Cochrane is out 

He has a three game suspension.

Has done since the end of last season.

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re the Doc? He was holding the back of his knee, do ACLs not affect the front? Asking for a layman.

Well, if you tear your ACL then the joint will usually fill up with blood, which means the whole thing will be painful.

However, it doesn’t always happen according to the usual pattern, and stories abound of players who turned out to have ACL tears after seemingly minor injuries.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Sorry but i dont want boyce rested. Give him another 60 minutes. He doesn't look like he's struggling,quite to opposite.

Really?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/liam-boyce-hearts-exclusive-its-a-balancing-act-to-see-how-long-i-last-at-times-my-legs-dont-work-like-they-used-to-4268334

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Well, if you tear your ACL then the joint will usually fill up with blood, which means the whole thing will be painful.

However, it doesn’t always happen according to the usual pattern, and stories abound of players who turned out to have ACL tears after seemingly minor injuries.

Lets hope for the best then. 

24 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I've learnt a few interesting things about ACLs recently. V common injury in dogs and often, if one goes, the other side is fixed prophylactically; if owner has the readies obviously.

ACL rupture very much more common in women footballers. One in three of top flight will succumb to this injury. (Wider pelvis, therefore altered angle at knee.)  Talk amongst those that do such: should we offer similar prophylactic contralateral surgery to elite women footballers?  Clearly, most done in private sector, so a nice little earner might be on the cards. 

Edited by schillaci
Missing word

30 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

He has not been good so far this season

Personally, thought he was excellent against Rosenborg at home. 

He played the tactical role allocated well v PAOK. 

Not sure when he’s not done well TBH. Played three positions without letting us down. 

Edited by CMc

Needs a big performance, we really do have a opportunity early this season to make a mark with other teams dropping points. 
I do not imagine Dundee will ,make it easy and will pack the defence , so hopefully we can play fast and not a  possession game of passing the ball back and side ways 

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, HeartOfMidlothian93 said:

Looking for 1 (ideally 2) adult tickets if any are going spare for tomorrow? 😃

Yep my mate has a spare adult ticket if you still need one? PM if interested.

will-i-am-a-jambo
3 hours ago, Oneneilberry said:

looking for 1 spare if anyone has one

Yep my mate has one. He's not in kickback but PM if interested.

HeartOfMidlothian93
13 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Yep my mate has a spare adult ticket if you still need one? PM if interested.

Can’t PM you mate 

WheatfieldWarrior
On 21/08/2023 at 23:11, Highlander said:

Dundee Away...

The only away fixture where it feels awkward singing: "We're from the capital - you're from a $++++hole"

Nobody from Dundee ever defends it - biggest surprise here is that they don't sing "You're from the Capital, We're from a Shitehole" ...

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, schillaci said:

I've learnt a few interesting things about ACLs recently. V common injury in dogs and often, if one goes, the other side is fixed prophylactically; if owner has the readies obviously.

ACL rupture very much more common in women footballers. One in three of top flight will succumb to this injury. (Wider pelvis, therefore altered angle at knee.)  Talk amongst those that do such: should we offer similar prophylactic contralateral surgery to elite women footballers?  Clearly, most done in private sector, so a nice little earner might be on the cards. 

Happened to my dog, thankfully the insurance paid the £5k bill. 
That’s interesting about the women, there have been a lot of them recently. 

will-i-am-a-jambo
32 minutes ago, HeartOfMidlothian93 said:

Can’t PM you mate 

Apologies, lve cleared my inbox and sent you a PM. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, CMc said:

Personally, thought he was excellent against Rosenborg at home. 

He played the tactical role allocated well v PAOK. 

Not sure when he’s not done well TBH. Played three positions without letting us down. 

He was that bad at LB away to Rosenborg that he was moved forward, has only been back there against Partick. 

WheatfieldWarrior
52 minutes ago, longmalx said:

Rested - for Thursday and just to reduce chance of injury by playing too much too soon

Makes sense, especially after throwing Beningime and McKay back in and seeing them pick up injuries.  McKay pulled up right in front of my seat - It was obvious his race was run before the ball went out.  

Ricardo Quaresma
11 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

We had 9 wins, 4 defeats and 1 draw at home league wise last season, no more than decent really , 1 LC defeat, 1 win and loss in Sc, 1 win and 3 defeats in Europe. So 11-9-1 altogether under Bob. 

Away 3 wins, 5 draws and 8 defeats, 1 SC win. 
Definitely need to keep winning away from home, but some will never be happy with the current management. 

Surely another 1 win at home in league, no?

Naismith managed 4 Home games and there was 19, with 5 losses and 2 draws

Ricardo Quaresma
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

You’re the Doc? He was holding the back of his knee, do ACLs not affect the front? Asking for a layman.

I see you got 2 replies but no answer 😄

Anterior means front, mate, yes

Posterior is the opposing term

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I see you got 2 replies but no answer 😄

Anterior means front, mate, yes

Posterior is the opposing term

Good point 😜

1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Screenshot_20230826-232239406.thumb.jpg.ddbdff9d4426f31d258f412f82134f99.jpg

No they don't. Hearts are favourites there.

Sorry just noticed you were replying to someone else.

Edited by cazzyy

Ricardo Quaresma
34 minutes ago, cazzyy said:

No they don't. Hearts are favourites there.

Sorry just noticed you were replying to someone else.

You should know I don't use full stops :smuggy:

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Clark

Natty, Kent, Toby, Kingsley 

Devlin, hof or Denholm.

Oda, tagawa, vargas.

Lawrence.

I would like us to try toby instead of Rowles today. Play hof of he's available, Denholm of he's not.

4 1 hearts.

Ricardo Quaresma

I think Odel will play in CB alongside Frankie today to assess how he gets on in the middle; we need to know today

He'll do great I reckon, if so

5 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Nobody from Dundee ever defends it - biggest surprise here is that they don't sing "You're from the Capital, We're from a Shitehole" ...

I kinda like Dundee.

Many happy memories there from early 80's to this very day.

It's an up and coming place with much to recommend for visitors.

A trip to Hawaii, for me and my gal, came about because of being in Dundee in '82, but that's a loooong story.

Anyhoo ... best be getting off now seeing as I might sleep in and miss my bus.

0-4 Hearts is my prediction.

Top of the table tomorrow, or A'body oot!

❤️❤️G❤️

stirlingshirejambo
14 hours ago, OTT said:

I would really like to see us start to mix up our set pieces. We're painfully one dimensional about them, and I think if we were less afraid to try something that might not work, we'd potentially have some better pay off from them. 

I'm talking about those freekicks where we have a winger at the side of the pitch, the free kick towards the middle of the pitch and end up putting the ball into the box directly. 

Why not play a short ball to the winger to try and drive the ball towards the byline to put a cross in instead of just doing the predictable high ball. 

Austin MacPhee is now a set piece coach, and many EPL sides have set piece coaches for this reason - they can offer a serious threat if executed well! Look at Kingsleys goal at Hampden against Hibs, absolutely genius that we've basically never tried again. There is huge pay off here!!

Got to start thinking a bit more creatively with these chances. 

Hibs have a set piece coach in David Gray to show it doesn’t always work !!!

we scored 2 from corners v Partick so happy with the work in progress 

21 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

Lets give Boyce a rest and get some familiarity developed.

Plenty minutes for Vargas, Tagawa, Oda and Calem pse, presuming fit and avaialable. Also a chance to see Offiah having to defend and give Natty some extra recovery.

Saying all of the above, we want these points.

I agree with this. We have a strong squad, let's use them. However, I'm still concerned about central midfield - I think we need to get someone else in and if I'm honest, I'm slightly irritated this wasn't sorted before our European games started. Now we have to make do with what we've got but I do think that Thursday, while difficult, isn't outwith the realms of possibility.