*** Official Dundee v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread (merged) ***

Scott Leitch

14 hours ago, OTT said:

Are people confident this is even the best formation for the players we have?

Rowles isn't good enough and I think we are probably stronger with a back 3 of Sibbick Kent and Kinglsey. We'd have two ball playing CBs either side of Kent who could focus on defensive duties and this would give Zander options for playing the ball out of defence. Sibbick has shown a willingness to get on the ball and drive forward, likewise Kingsley can do this too, and both possess a much better range of passing than Rowles. It would mean we could build attacks from the back AND also allow Atkinson and Cochrane to resume wingback duties (which both are better at than as fullbacks, Natty loses the ball in dangerous areas constantly and Cochrane gets wrong sided leading to red cards too easily). 

Midlfield is a cluster **** though. I don't know how you begin to sort that. Devlin is passable, Haring is fine and the rest aren't good enough. Maybe we just need to pair up Devlin and Hof and hope Hof can figure it out. Devlin did. 

On the face of it I think reverting back to the 343 would give our team a more natural fit for the bodies we have. 

Zander

Sibbick Kent Kingsley

Atkinson Devlin Hof Cochrane

Shanks Boyce

Tagawa

Boyce seems to like playing the 10, Shanks can play 10 (343 is supposed to be played with 10s and Tagawa can fill the Gino role). 

I hate that we don't seem much further forward from last season despite having brought in so many bodies. Management haven't been very impressive so far. Ruined Beni, McKay ****ed - both seem to have made a mess of bringing injured players back into the fold. I'm not even sure how Hof has picked up an injury, he's played 180 minutes if you're lucky? 

Kind of get that formations don't hugely matter if the players are phoning it in, but immediately reducing the defensive duties on Atkinson and Cochrane doesn't seem a bad call and I've already made my point around the 10 role for Shanks and Boyce. 

The management have to spell out to the players who played against Dundee & the rest of the squad that as far that performance was concerned 'It Is Not Acceptable'. Our fans have had enough of away performances like that under Neilson, Levein, Cathro etc and to put it mildly our fans deserve better. For all the pat's on the back our the club Board, FOH, Big Hearts etc get Hearts are miles away from getting anywhere this season going by that Dundee game. My message to Naisy, McAvoy & Forrest is get this team sorted out and if you need a Left Sided Centre Back and 2 Midfielders who can control, pass, score and put a shift in Find Them and move on Rowles, Halliday, Forrest & Grant. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pettigrewsstylist

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• Clark Griswold

• jr ewing

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, mitch41 said:

The management have to spell out to the players who played against Dundee & the rest of the squad that as far that performance was concerned 'It Is Not Acceptable'. Our fans have had enough of away performances like that under Neilson, Levein, Cathro etc and to put it mildly our fans deserve better. For all the pat's on the back our the club Board, FOH, Big Hearts etc get Hearts are miles away from getting anywhere this season going by that Dundee game. My message to Naisy, McAvoy & Forrest is get this team sorted out and if you need a Left Sided Centre Back and 2 Midfielders who can control, pass, score and put a shift in Find Them and move on Rowles, Halliday, Forrest & Grant. 

We have a left sided centre back, kingsley. The rest i agree with.

19 hours ago, AGoodLaugh said:

I've not seen the game today yet, but it sounds like their goal has come from something that's been bugging me for ages now - nobody looks like they have any idea what they're doing from run of the mill set pieces. Goal kicks, free kicks in our half, throw ins (oh my god the throw ins). They always seem to be taken too slowly when they could go quickly, too quickly when we should take our time, playing teammates into trouble, players looking confused and indecisive. It's been a problem for years at this point and I can't understand why it hasn't been addressed. 

There is literally zero movement at throw ins. Whoever has the ball has almost zero options. 

Bring back the old fashioned throw it up the line and flick it on.

6 minutes ago, basscom said:

There is literally zero movement at throw ins. Whoever has the ball has almost zero options. 

Bring back the old fashioned throw it up the line and flick it on.

How often do we see the thrower screaming for options? Far too slow and static.

10 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

How often do we see the thrower screaming for options? Far too slow and static.

Up the line is about all we have!

On 28/08/2023 at 15:28, Jambof3tornado said:

We have a left sided centre back, kingsley. The rest i agree with.

We have 2 Left Backs that should be competing for the one position, Kingsley & Cochrane, but at this moment in time Kingsley would be a much better temporary left sided centre back until we can sign a replacement for Rowles because Rowles needs dropped.

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

We have 2 Left Backs that should be competing for the one position, Kingsley & Cochrane, but at this moment in time Kingsley would be a much better temporary left sided centre back until we can sign a replacement for Rowles because Rowles needs dropped.

Yup,hard to disagree. 

On 28/08/2023 at 13:55, mitch41 said:

Being a Hearts fan for 50 years and the ups and down pheeew sare. its a tall order but after the worst result of the season to Dundee we could then get the best one tomorrow! yes its the Hearts way 🙏

On 30/08/2023 at 14:24, gar jambo said:

Being a Hearts fan for 50 years and the ups and down pheeew sare. its a tall order but after the worst result of the season to Dundee we could then get the best one tomorrow! yes its the Hearts way 🙏

Being a Hearts fan, first game 1953, I know that if the team, individuals, management & board start to slip it can because of a few players are being picked that are getting favourable treatment when they should either be dropped or released. As and example playing Rowels at centre back &  Cochrane in midfield is a recipe for disaster. Starting on Sunday I want to see a team that attacks a method that has Motherwells defence panicking every time Hearts get the ball with quick movement and through balls that are all about creating chances.

The board have to deliver the funds, the scouts have to deliver the product, the management need to deliver the ammunition and the players need to make the fans happy. Simple but every department has to work or the club falls away to more failure.

On 26/08/2023 at 23:25, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Nobody from Dundee ever defends it - biggest surprise here is that they don't sing "You're from the Capital, We're from a Shitehole" ...

Love the city… and its people.