***Heart Of Midlothian Vs Rosenborg*** OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD

Masonic

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Whoever scores the first goal wins the tie IMO.

We go 3-1 down on aggregate and it's goodnight, thanks for coming.

Go 2-2 and it's fire and thunder and we'll go on to win.

Need to figure out how to contain the Canadian laddie IMO. He was causing problems, Atkinson did well, but if we over extend trying to chase a goal, it will be him that punishes us. 

Hopefully with two fit midfielders, it will sort things out. I think Beni being so poor sort of created the loss of control which brought him so many chances. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboozy

• iantjambo

• Clark Griswold

• Ricardo Quaresma

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

when levein was our manager, and we had that amazing initial run - then had one of the worst bouts of injuries i can remember. i see a few posts now and again about using murder hill. I believe it ruined half our squad

Haha, not sue it ever did me any good either!

periodictabledancer
9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If you want expansive swashbuckling football away from home in Europe, there’s about half a dozen teams who do it regularly for you to chose from.

:facepalm:

Talk about twisting someone's words. 

Absolute Scenes
2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Haha, not sue it ever did me any good either!

and me

vomiting from running isnt an indicator of fitness, its your body shutting down surely 😂

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

If we stick to the basics we should win. Last night was almost RN like in team selection and formation. No need for such an attacking team away from home. 

I don’t think our defence or midfield is good enough to play defensively.  The season before last they were but not now.  As well as Beni, there were others who simply didn’t play well, probably for different reasons, Devlin, Lowry and Cochrane.  In a few weeks everyone will be up to speed and we’ll know our best team. 

Just now, Absolute Scenes said:

and me

vomiting from running isnt an indicator of fitness, its your body shutting down surely 😂

Yeah, not sure any sports scientists were involved in late 90s/early00s amateur football! I just new if I didn't finish the drills it was hot-arse for me!

16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If it’s a pretence, and I believe it is and Naismith is calling the shots, if we’re back to Robbie Hoofball, it’s on Naismith surely ?

We’re not though. We were playing possession based football away from home in Europe trying to keep the ball off a dangerous team. Had it not been for 2 ugly mistakes we’d have had a clean sheet and one foot in the door of the next round

If you want expansive swashbuckling football away from home in Europe, there’s about half a dozen teams who do it regularly for you to chose from.

Not to open old conversations but surely the problem with Robbie’s teams was the over playing and passing for the sake of passing. If anything, his teams didn’t go direct nearly enough?

I think you are spot on - the 2 mistakes did cost us big. Rosenborg were better in the first half but they didn’t create really any other clear cut chances (a few balls whipped in, a couple of speculative shots from the edge of the box). You could tell they were about 20 games into their season with us only being in our 2nd game.

But from about 60 mins on, we started to take control - similar to the St Johnstone game. Shanks goal (beautiful ball in from Kingsley btw) could prove massive in this tie. There were a couple of other instances where we got into wonderful positions, only for the final pass or shot/touch to be poor. This will get sharper as the season progresses. 

The 2nd leg will be a different story. The Rosenborg players may be in for a shock. Not just regarding the full stadium, tight pitch, but the intensity of the players. If we continue to play anything like we did in the remaining games of last season at home, they will be in for a hard game.

All eyes on Killie first mind. Imperative we build on the win at Perth, particularly with Aberdeen hosting Celtic and Hibs away at Motherwell.

With our pacy players back in the squad, I think we will see a more familiar dynamic on Sunday 🇱🇻😎

Edited by MattyK82

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup. I don't always align with you JC, but you're on form today.  We werent overly tactically inept last night.  The players needed to take a wee bit responsibility.  I think Rosenborg sat in 451 more than we'd expected and the boys didn't adapt, but we controlled the ball pretty well.  Like you say couple of silly moments, and they never troubled us otherwise really.

It was a pretty professional display which I wish we'd added  bit more variety and spice to, but certainly not one to beat up the management team for.  And to drag the whole setup into it is lazy and frankly shows people to be dimwitted.  Naisy is in charge.  Fact.  I know it for fact.  Don't tell UEFA.

Yup. Beningime. Start Haring instead of him and I’m convinced we come home with a draw at least.

Good news is that team are mince and they struggled to cope with an increase in tempo and us playing 15 yards further up the park which we did later on. We’ll beat them at Tynecastle, perhaps comfortably. I think they’re scared of us even though they won

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t think our defence or midfield is good enough to play defensively.  The season before last they were but not now.  As well as Beni, there were others who simply didn’t play well, probably for different reasons, Devlin, Lowry and Cochrane.  In a few weeks everyone will be up to speed and we’ll know our best team. 

That is a fair point. The return of Halkett should make a big difference.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Yup. Beningime. Start Haring instead of him and I’m convinced we come home with a draw at least.

Good news is that team are mince and they struggled to cope with an increase in tempo and us playing 15 yards further up the park which we did later on. We’ll beat them at Tynecastle, perhaps comfortably. I think they’re scared of us even though they won

Said it during the game, said it loads today.  If we get physical with their backline, they'll crumble, I'm sure of it.  They looked weak - didn't like aerial duels at alls

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Said it during the game, said it loads today.  If we get physical with their backline, they'll crumble, I'm sure of it.  They looked weak - didn't like aerial duels at alls

If you look at the stats from last night, almost every measure is in our favour. 60/40 possession, more attacks, more dangerous attacks more fouls in our favour. Okay they had more goal attempts and obviously scored one more, but if that’s their possession AT HOME what’s it’s going to be like at Tynecastle when we’re rocking ?

Just now, JimmyCant said:

If you look at the stats from last night, almost every measure is in our favour. 60/40 possession, more attacks, more dangerous attacks more fouls in our favour. Okay they had more goal attempts and obviously scored one more, but if that’s their possession AT HOME what’s it’s going to be like at Tynecastle when we’re rocking ?

As I say, they had a certain weakness at the back I thought and we didn't exploit it.  Get the ball in the danger area quicker (in any format! dribble, pass, cross, bang it looooong) and they'll creak.

A lot of hope in that, I realise, but I think good old Scottish up n at'em cant be taken out of a Scottish team.  It's what we do, its our identity and it doesn't need to be ugly.  Get about them and we'll win.  Let's see if they're up for it.

pettigrewsstylist
21 minutes ago, OTT said:

Need to figure out how to contain the Canadian laddie IMO. He was causing problems, Atkinson did well, but if we over extend trying to chase a goal, it will be him that punishes us. 

Hopefully with two fit midfielders, it will sort things out. I think Beni being so poor sort of created the loss of control which brought him so many chances. 

All fair .

pettigrewsstylist
Just now, TheBigO said:

As I say, they had a certain weakness at the back I thought and we didn't exploit it.  Get the ball in the danger area quicker (in any format! dribble, pass, cross, bang it looooong) and they'll creak.

A lot of hope in that, I realise, but I think good old Scottish up n at'em cant be taken out of a Scottish team.  It's what we do, its our identity and it doesn't need to be ugly.  Get about them and we'll win.  Let's see if they're up for it.

One of the reasons i wouldnt be adverse to an MDV type in squad. Sometimes justified. Wonder what Kevin Mckenna up to these days 🤣

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Here’s a prediction - Kilmarnock will be a harder game than Rosenborg 

17 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Totally agree. We get suckered sometimes into this cagey “got to be careful in europe” approach.  Players end up too relaxed and careful.

Of course, you need have a balance but in any game of football you need to hassle, close people down, be brave on the ball in key areas, don’t be afraid to push out, esp against opposition you know you can go toe to toe with.  

I kind of felt last night was a given in terms of performance. Didn’t surprise me.  I really thought we’d be bred on much more energy and purpose under Naismith, even in the short term.  

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Whoever scores the first goal wins the tie IMO.

We go 3-1 down on aggregate and it's goodnight, thanks for coming.

Go 2-2 and it's fire and thunder and we'll go on to win.

If it's 0-1 early on I still think we can come back and win 2-1 to take it to ET. You could see how shaken they were when we pulled a goal back. Not a great team by any stretch of the imagination. If we score first and score early though, the atmosphere is going to be absolutely incredible.

Blaming Beni for both goals solely is a little harsh.

First one, yes, he missed the tackle but he was up with play. A sharper Beni would have done better I agree.

Second one - I'm not convinced that's on him - should he have rugby tackled him?

I think more concerning were some of the other chances - he seemed a yard behind a few times.
I also think he's slightly hesitant to throw the leg in.
I didn't notice it pre injury - but he has an ungainly running style hunched forwards. Was it like that before?

12 minutes ago, longmalx said:

First one, yes, he missed the tackle but he was up with play. A sharper Beni would have done better I agree.

Second one - I'm not convinced that's on him - should he have rugby tackled him?

He gave the ball away in the first place with a sloppy pass.

22 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

I never saw 1st half; did beni get replaced at HT?

He may have pulled a hamstring.

He would have been subbed anyway.

Not ready for this game, let's not forget, Rosenborg had played around 20 games already, mid season for them.

Rocky jamboa

Rosenburg just sat in and we didn't know what to do. Then hit us fast on the counter. Not sure if we hadn't planned for them playing that way. 

I'm sure we'll have a go at them from the off on Thursday but need to be wary of their rapid counter. Hope the boy Nelson is out as he went off injured. Caused us problems all game. 

25 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Rosenburg just sat in and we didn't know what to do. Then hit us fast on the counter. Not sure if we hadn't planned for them playing that way. 

I'm sure we'll have a go at them from the off on Thursday but need to be wary of their rapid counter. Hope the boy Nelson is out as he went off injured. Caused us problems all game. 

I think Sibbick should play to deal with their pace on the break. Only player we have that can match those types of players.

3 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Might help

State of the art facilities back in the day. Medicine balls were the way forward back then. 

3 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

and me

Bad kebab the night before. 🌙 

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, sac said:

You can’t be serious 

Naw, I'm just asking for a laugh

Report on Soccerway shows 46 min sub

Edit: read the match report on the Hearts website

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I think Sibbick should play to deal with their pace on the break. Only player we have that can match those types of players.

Yeah. Thats a good shout. I'd go with Sibbick and Haring as the two holding midfielders. 

On 10/08/2023 at 20:52, pointon said:

Still in the tie but not seeing any significant improvement from Neilson reign 

Hahaha aye ok 👍🏼

We didn't put them under much pressure but their defence looked suspect. The penalty incident involving Lowry and a couple of headers for Shankland including the goal highlighted this. Hopefully at home we can turn the screw and progress. They are a lesser team than Zurich and I believe we have improved therefore I'm quietly confident.

So, I'm looking again at Nelson's goal for Rosenberg on Hearts' TV and seriously really wonder if he would have been called offside with VAR. it's tight but would definitely have been reviewed.

I realise that UEFA have taken an expense view with VAR for the smaller European clubs, certainly not Hearts and Rosenberg, but this may well be causing an uneven playing field.

Ferryjambo99
8 minutes ago, DesertDawg said:

So, I'm looking again at Nelson's goal for Rosenberg on Hearts' TV and seriously really wonder if he would have been called offside with VAR. it's tight but would definitely have been reviewed.

I realise that UEFA have taken an expense view with VAR for the smaller European clubs, certainly not Hearts and Rosenberg, but this may well be causing an uneven playing field.

Looking at the lines on the pitch, Kent is at least a yard deeper when the ball was played. 

Incidentally VAR has been expanded this year, quite significantly but ultimately there aren't enough VAR officials to do every qualifying round

weegie jambo
8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

If it’s a pretence, and I believe it is and Naismith is calling the shots, if we’re back to Robbie Hoofball, it’s on Naismith surely ?

We’re not though. We were playing possession based football away from home in Europe trying to keep the ball off a dangerous team. Had it not been for 2 ugly mistakes we’d have had a clean sheet and one foot in the door of the next round. Our sole objective was to keep the tie alive and turn the gas up at Tynecastle and see how they cope. Part 1 was achieved IMO

Ha ha, swashbuckling football away from home v Rosenberg would indeed be folly, however on the evidence of my eyes we are very much playing a more cautious game than we were towards the end of last season when Naismith took over.  The way I see it is that the pretense we are trying to achieve means Naismith is not taking a hands on role on match days and therefore we are not getting the expansive style we saw at the end of last season. FYI There is no other team for me but Hearts, expansive or otherwise!  

3 hours ago, Kyle1874 said:

I thought more would have been made of our penalty claim? 

and what was the goal ruled out genuine question

Penalty if at the other end with that ref, although he did a good job of giving us enough for deniability - an old R H Davidson trick, handed down to a few other Scottish refs. (Prime and all Hibby refs excluded).

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

I thought its the same ref as Thursday 🤷‍♂️

No

8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

We’re not though. We were playing possession based football away from home in Europe trying to keep the ball off a dangerous team. Had it not been for 2 ugly mistakes we’d have had a clean sheet and one foot in the door of the next round. Our sole objective was to keep the tie alive and turn the gas up at Tynecastle and see how they cope. Part 1 was achieved IMO

Who decided to play Beni?   Who decided to keep him on when he was obviously struggling when they broke and he couldn't get the legs going.  He had some nice Beni stuff going forward but never looked the sharp tackler he is.  Exactly what we needed and exactly what to expect from the poor guy having been out for so long and no games under his belt.   Coming on from the bench for his first 4/5 weeks more or less before flinging him into fulltime action.

kingantti1874
7 hours ago, Ferryjambo99 said:

Looking at the lines on the pitch, Kent is at least a yard deeper when the ball was played. 

Incidentally VAR has been expanded this year, quite significantly but ultimately there aren't enough VAR officials to do every qualifying round

not off but it thought it was a pen 

IMG_5775.jpeg

Allowayjambo1874

Hate to be the negative one on this thread but only twice in our history have we pulled a first leg deficit away from home back to win the tie, Leipzig & Slavia Prague. Twice we have pulled it round to level tie but went out on away goals. 

We are absolutely due one and it really would be about time, but no one should underestimate how difficult this is going to be. 

Unknown user
On 10/08/2023 at 23:16, buzzbomb1958 said:

I think Mcavoy is a dinosaur and should be nowhere near the first team , that reminded me of a Robbie team , not even playing from the first whistle and try to start playing when we go behind , sorry but we need naisy to get his badges asap Mcavoy is a Dundee Utd manager that’s his level and I am sick of these no mark guys in football getting a living from Hearts

They literally sat down and explained that this season, we'll be pretending that Frankie's the manager, and this is why.

pettigrewsstylist
14 hours ago, longmalx said:

I think more concerning were some of the other chances - he seemed a yard behind a few times.
I also think he's slightly hesitant to throw the leg in.
I didn't notice it pre injury - but he has an ungainly running style hunched forwards. Was it like that before?

The running style was very noticable.

Clerry Jambo
1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

Rosenberg have no game this weekend fresher legs for Thursday 

Think we need games tbh 

buzzbomb1958
34 minutes ago, Smithee said:

They literally sat down and explained that this season, we'll be pretending that Frankie's the manager, and this is why.

It’s a bit of a farce really it really does seem like a penny pinching exercise but we will see

30 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Think we need games tbh 

Exactly . It’s games we need not rest. We have only played 2 games 🤣

4 hours ago, Allowayjambo1874 said:

Hate to be the negative one on this thread but only twice in our history have we pulled a first leg deficit away from home back to win the tie, Leipzig & Slavia Prague. Twice we have pulled it round to level tie but went out on away goals. 

We are absolutely due one and it really would be about time, but no one should underestimate how difficult this is going to be. 

I am grateful that the away goals rule has been scrapped that was more often than not our downfall.