***Heart Of Midlothian Vs Rosenborg*** OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD

Masonic

weegie jambo
2 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I think Mcavoy is a dinosaur and should be nowhere near the first team , that reminded me of a Robbie team , not even playing from the first whistle and try to start playing when we go behind , sorry but we need naisy to get his badges asap Mcavoy is a Dundee Utd manager that’s his level and I am sick of these no mark guys in football getting a living from Hearts

completely agree, this pretence with McAvoy outfront is killing us and taking right back to Robbie Hoofball

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamboozy

• iantjambo

• Clark Griswold

• Ricardo Quaresma

No Idle Talk

This tie feels a lot like Zurich last year. I felt that Zurich werea very beatable team and I think Rosenborg are too. We didn't manage to get the job done last year but that is where we need to learn the lessons from what happened against Zurich and use them to make sure we get the job done this time. 

Rosenborg are not good defensively. When we started to get in about their defence late on in last night's game you could see that. So that is what we must expose at Tynecastle. I don't want to see us start cautiously, worrying about conceding a third goal. We have to be proactive and get after them. If we do that we can score goals against this team. 

I think we have a great chance of getting through. 

9 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I think Mcavoy is a dinosaur and should be nowhere near the first team , that reminded me of a Robbie team , not even playing from the first whistle and try to start playing when we go behind , sorry but we need naisy to get his badges asap Mcavoy is a Dundee Utd manager that’s his level and I am sick of these no mark guys in football getting a living from Hearts

Can you be specific about what makes him a dinosaur? Or is it just his age? Does he have old school training methods you know of? Is he not up to speed on the latest sports science? What is it specifically that you think makes him a dinosaur?

If you watched the press conference before the game yesterday a Norwegian journo asked about a former player of his from his time at Norwich who now works for Rosenborg (I think).

The player gave him a glowing report along the lines of 'I absolutely love Frankie'.

7 hours ago, weegie jambo said:

completely agree, this pretence with McAvoy outfront is killing us and taking right back to Robbie Hoofball

For me this is the problem with having a 3 man consensus team, although I think Naismith is calling the shots behind closed doors. Easy to point fingers at Mcavoy who publicly says final decisions are his. Did he overrule Naismith on Beni and did he overrule him on tactics and approach ? I highly doubt it.

As soon as we’re out of Europe this charade has to come to an end

A sell out packed stadium for this one is delicious. Can’t wait. Games like this one are what it’s all about. Shanks to score to send the few on here into self isolating meltdown 🤣

10 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

This tie feels a lot like Zurich last year. I felt that Zurich werea very beatable team and I think Rosenborg are too. We didn't manage to get the job done last year but that is where we need to learn the lessons from what happened against Zurich and use them to make sure we get the job done this time. 

Rosenborg are not good defensively. When we started to get in about their defence late on in last night's game you could see that. So that is what we must expose at Tynecastle. I don't want to see us start cautiously, worrying about conceding a third goal. We have to be proactive and get after them. If we do that we can score goals against this team. 

From what I seen last night, Zurich were a level above Rosenborg IMO. I thought we rode our luck in the away game over there last season but played them off the park the first 45 at home. I think Rosenborg defensively looked very shaky last night when we started going more direct and in behind them. It was like it took us 70 minutes to suss out they weren't that great. I think we have a great chance next week, however from what I watched last night they will be dangerous on the break with midfield runners and their wide left forward looked dangerous all night. 

Also good to see ticket sales have picked up, looks like it will be a sell out, a fair few have shifted in the last 12 hours or so. Wonder if people were waiting on the 1st leg score before buying a ticket. 

7 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

A sell out packed stadium for this one is delicious. Can’t wait. Games like this one are what it’s all about. Shanks to score to send the few on here into self isolating meltdown 🤣

Absolutely. After the game last night my 7 year old laddie was desperate to go. I don't usually let him go on a school night but have made an exception for next week and got him his ticket. Tynecastle under the lights on a European night when its packed to the rafters is a different animal. 

16 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Zurich were much better than this Rosenberg team, but we should have beaten Zurich as well. 

Can’t really say much that’s not already been said: 

- Starting Beni was a shocking decision. Embarrassingly bad actually.

- We were missing ALL the players that were brought in to replace Ginnelly who was key to everything we did well last season.

- Still a no nonsense centre midfielder short for me, maybe even a higher need than a RB at the moment.

1 minute ago, PapaShango said:

Absolutely. After the game last night my 7 year old laddie was desperate to go. I don't usually let him go on a school night but have made an exception for next week and got him his ticket. Tynecastle under the lights on a European night when its packed to the rafters is a different animal. 

nice one. What an evening for the lad. He’ll be super excited all week.

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

nice one. What an evening for the lad. He’ll be super excited all week.

Absolutely he's mascot at the game on Sunday as well so he's in for a big week! 

alicante jambo
20 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

One decision cost us in the zurich game mate and that was one of our players cheating to try and get a penalty. That sending off cost us. I just hope to feck last nights decision to start cochrane and beni wont be what puts us out of this competition. I seen enough last night to see we can beat this mob but we must be brave. Tynecastle is a different place to that last night and we fans have a huge part to play as do the players. Folk saying they are having a ahite season are looking by the fact we had played 1 game before last night. Mon the jts

3 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Absolutely he's mascot at the game on Sunday as well so he's in for a big week! 

👍 that’s a cracking week.  Enjoy 🇱🇻

buzzbomb1958
9 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Can you be specific about what makes him a dinosaur? Or is it just his age? Does he have old school training methods you know of? Is he not up to speed on the latest sports science? What is it specifically that you think makes him a dinosaur?

If you watched the press conference before the game yesterday a Norwegian journo asked about a former player of his from his time at Norwich who now works for Rosenborg (I think).

The player gave him a glowing report along the lines of 'I absolutely love Frankie'.

He brings nothing new to the management he’s an old school manager who’s been floating about the fringes of football, any player will give a former manager a glowing report especially if he got picked ever week , so it doesn’t mean nothing, We we’re promised a new dawn with an exciting team which would play off the front foot and this fiasco about who is in charge it farcical, The only reason Mcavoy is anywhere near the first team is because of this situation, it’s not his fault the board made this stupid decision to go down this route,I feel that they should have got a manager in until Naismith had all the correct paperwork and experience to take charge on his own merit , I cannot see how this farcical situation will benefit the team , and last night was the biggest feck up going . Putting a man into such an important game after being out for all that time anyone could see at Perth Benni was not anywhere near ready to take up his place back in the team there is a massive difference between fit and match fit which he isn’t. So if Mcavoy was in charge last night it shows the man hasn’t got a clue it’s a shambles 

Shooter McGavin

The fact we were absolutely miles off it yesterday, and yet still managed to nick a goal and remain very much in the tie was just about the only positive.

Just need to go after them like we did Zurich at home, minus the daft red card.

20 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

He brings nothing new to the management he’s an old school manager who’s been floating about the fringes of football, any player will give a former manager a glowing report especially if he got picked ever week , so it doesn’t mean nothing, We we’re promised a new dawn with an exciting team which would play off the front foot and this fiasco about who is in charge it farcical, The only reason Mcavoy is anywhere near the first team is because of this situation, it’s not his fault the board made this stupid decision to go down this route,I feel that they should have got a manager in until Naismith had all the correct paperwork and experience to take charge on his own merit , I cannot see how this farcical situation will benefit the team , and last night was the biggest feck up going . Putting a man into such an important game after being out for all that time anyone could see at Perth Benni was not anywhere near ready to take up his place back in the team there is a massive difference between fit and match fit which he isn’t. So if Mcavoy was in charge last night it shows the man hasn’t got a clue it’s a shambles 

You do know you're one of the only ones who doesn't understand that Naismith is in charge and McAvoy just has to do the press conferences? Everyone else knows this isn't a farse and it's just you that doesn't understand it? 

You're saying he's an old school manager, can you please be specific about how you know that? Is it just because he's a bit older than a recently retired player? How do you actually know his training and management is old school? 

You're making things up and getting in a tizzy about it! 

44 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Think we could do with  some old school training methods.  Players don't look the fittest

44 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Yes I agree  ! We have to be careful with Cochran or devlin rash tackles at time I think this is the only way we will loose it ! 

I have absolutely no doubts that we have the quality needed to win the game and progress. 

Last night did not fill me with confidence that our coaching staff have the tactical know how and ability to make the right calls on team selection. Time will tell.

The players were always going to struggle to match the sharpness and fitness levels at this stage. We did not set up to help ourselves deal with that.

52 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Zurich were much better than this Rosenberg team, but we should have beaten Zurich as well. 

- We were missing ALL the players that were brought in to replace Ginnelly who was key to everything we did well last season.

- Still a no nonsense centre midfielder short for me, maybe even a higher need than a RB at the moment.

Summed it up in a nutshell. 

Should have had our transfer business wrapped up in plenty time to make sure the new players could travel. Not being able to take them because of a visa issue is slightly embarrassing tbh. Our midfield are OK I feel, but we just lack that bit of grunt, and a killer pass. Snodgrass was giving us that when he was playing well, not that I want him back, but someone similar. I love Cammy and love his determination but his passing is poor. Haring is good on the ball but slow. Grant isn't good enough in any area really.

At least we'll have the new guys for the return leg though, because that Rosenberg side looked very beatable if we just had some pace up front. I imagine Tagawa will cause them a lot of problems. They don't look as good as Zurich and we weren't far off it against them. We should be winning this one at home. 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

As long as the tie is level by half time.

Get Tynecastle rocking, get the players up for it. And we'll do it.

Patience may be key here, I still fancied us against Zurich last season at half time but the sending off then the introduction of Gnonto finished us. You could see he was a level up against us, don't think Rosenborg are as good as Zurich were when we played them, however we need to be at it from the start and don't let them settle. An early goal would have them rocking IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Summed it up in a nutshell. 

Should have had our transfer business wrapped up in plenty time to make sure the new players could travel. Not being able to take them because of a visa issue is slightly embarrassing tbh. Our midfield are OK I feel, but we just lack that bit of grunt, and a killer pass. Snodgrass was giving us that when he was playing well, not that I want him back, but someone similar. I love Cammy and love his determination but his passing is poor. Haring is good on the ball but slow. Grant isn't good enough in any area really.

At least we'll have the new guys for the return leg though, because that Rosenberg side looked very beatable if we just had some pace up front. I imagine Tagawa will cause them a lot of problems. They don't look as good as Zurich and we weren't far off it against them. We should be winning this one at home. 

I keep seeing this. What if it wasn't possible to have these deals finished in time?

Would you rather sign anyone who is available prior to the end of July regardless if they are not as good as a player who would miss one European qualifier? 

Deals take time. Just look at the biggest clubs in the world still dealing their biggest players and breaking transfer records a day before the EPL starts.

1 hour ago, DxB Hearts said:

I keep seeing this. What if it wasn't possible to have these deals finished in time?

Would you rather sign anyone who is available prior to the end of July regardless if they are not as good as a player who would miss one European qualifier? 

Deals take time. Just look at the biggest clubs in the world still dealing their biggest players and breaking transfer records a day before the EPL starts.

We should have been pushing hard to get these deals or others done in time for the players to be eligible  and for our squad to be as strong as possible for arguably our most important games of the season. I've no idea when we started negotiations, how long it took, how strong we were in them, but one way or another our squad should have been finalised before going into these games it really is as simple as that. We've had all summer and were still scuttling around doing deals the day before our first league game - and still aren't done. 

Edited by Batistuta87

2 hours ago, E3OBE said:

Good post. 

Zurich, who we should heave beaten, were much better than Rosenborg last night. It would be a really disappointing 2 leg defeat should we not turn this around at a packed Tynecastle next week. There will be a significant step up in the play off round from what we saw last night but this is undoubtedly a team we should be beating.

Having Tagawa and Vargas available for next Thursday will be a huge boost. 

Just discussing in the Kilmarnock match day thread the concerns over central midfield.

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, DxB Hearts said:

You do know you're one of the only ones who doesn't understand that Naismith is in charge and McAvoy just has to do the press conferences? Everyone else knows this isn't a farse and it's just you that doesn't understand it? 

You're saying he's an old school manager, can you please be specific about how you know that? Is it just because he's a bit older than a recently retired player? How do you actually know his training and management is old school? 

You're making things up and getting in a tizzy about it! 

I don’t believe that Naisy had anything to do with  putting a player in long before he was ready, the agreement will be that Mcavoy is in total charge of the European with Naisy having little or no input whatsoever if he did then he has committed a very bad error which shows this will not work if you think that the board taking the cheapest option available to them is looking after the interests of the fans then you are wrong,I hope this works but going by the mistakes being made I’m not confident, we need one person in charge not a fecking job share 

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Good post. 

Zurich, who we should heave beaten, were much better than Rosenborg last night. It would be a really disappointing 2 leg defeat should we not turn this around at a packed Tynecastle next week. There will be a significant step up in the play off round from what we saw last night but this is undoubtedly a team we should be beating.

Having Tagawa and Vargas available for next Thursday will be a huge boost. 

Just discussing in the Kilmarnock match day thread the concerns over central midfield.

I have high hopes for Tagawa & Vargas, also think Mckay will be back to his best this season. When we get them up to speed I don't think we'll have much concerns but until then we do have a bit of an issue.

Big concerns in centre mid for me as well... I like Devlin but not in a two man centre midfield. I'd probably go with Haring and Sibbick in centre midfield for now just to add a bit of power and cover. Let the full backs go and your front 4 are well protected.

7 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I don’t believe that Naisy had anything to do with  putting a player in long before he was ready, the agreement will be that Mcavoy is in total charge of the European with Naisy having little or no input whatsoever if he did then he has committed a very bad error which shows this will not work if you think that the board taking the cheapest option available to them is looking after the interests of the fans then you are wrong,I hope this works but going by the mistakes being made I’m not confident, we need one person in charge not a fecking job share 

Absolute nonsense, Naismith is in charge end of regardless of how we spin it in the media! He will have picked the side last night and I still can’t believe some of our support can’t get their heads around how it works.

4 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

I have high hopes for Tagawa & Vargas, also think Mckay will be back to his best this season. When we get them up to speed I don't think we'll have much concerns but until then we do have a bit of an issue.

Big concerns in centre mid for me as well... I like Devlin but not in a two man centre midfield. I'd probably go with Haring and Sibbick in centre midfield for now just to add a bit of power and cover. Let the full backs go and your front 4 are well protected.

Very interesting shout about Sibbick! Looks like the right side and central defenders for now are settled and that is before Halkett is back. Sibbick for me is easily as good on the ball as most of the guys in the frame in midfield currently and has a presence. I actually like that idea. 

Edited by Luckies1874

23 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

We should have been pushing hard to get these deals or others done in time for the players to be eligible  and for our squad to be as strong as possible for arguably our most important games of the season. I've no idea when we started negotiations, how long it took, how strong we were in them, but one way or another our squad should have been finalised before going into these games it really is as simple as that. We've had all summer and were still scuttling around doing deals the day before our first league game - and still aren't done. 

So you don't know how long it took to get the deals done and whether it was even possible to get them done earlier but you're unhappy at them not being done sooner. 

Even the biggest clubs sign players right up to the last day of August. But you're not happy we hadnt completed them sooner. 

You know how that sounds right? 

13 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

You have literally made that scenario up in your head and are now annoyed at the club for it. Bananas.  

No Idle Talk
5 hours ago, PapaShango said:

From what I seen last night, Zurich were a level above Rosenborg IMO. I thought we rode our luck in the away game over there last season but played them off the park the first 45 at home. I think Rosenborg defensively looked very shaky last night when we started going more direct and in behind them. It was like it took us 70 minutes to suss out they weren't that great. I think we have a great chance next week, however from what I watched last night they will be dangerous on the break with midfield runners and their wide left forward looked dangerous all night. 

Also good to see ticket sales have picked up, looks like it will be a sell out, a fair few have shifted in the last 12 hours or so. Wonder if people were waiting on the 1st leg score before buying a ticket. 

I agree with you, they are going to be dangerous on the counter attack. Particularly if we are playing Atkinson and Cochrane at full back as they frequently get caught too far up the field. So we will have to be wary of that. 

Still, it's clear where the chink in their armour is. It's defending. So we have to attack that weakness. With a pacier striker, and a full Tynecastle behind the team, I am confident we can cause them a lot of problems. 

5 hours ago, Sherbet said:

Think we could do with  some old school training methods.  Players don't look the fittest

Aye bring back the brown gymnasium from the old main stand. 

5 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Spot on Mr. I know a few folk who have kids at the academy and they were getting pissed off with McAvoy when he was in charge. All he was interested in was big physical boys over ones who had the skill and technique. He should be nowhere near our dugout. 

3 hours ago, E3OBE said:

I love Cammy to bits, but maybe this is a game we play Pete and either Grant or Newy.  Let's have a guy in there that will try the progressive passes or take the ball on the half turn a bit more.

Wouldn't usually play Grant in a 2 man mid, but just maybe.  Newy, depends how he does each day this week and on Sunday.  Would be a risk, but might be worth it.

If we expect Rosenborg to sit in again, we need guys who will take up spots inbetween and beyond their midfield, and/or try to pass through them.  Id also go a bit more direct at times, so our midfiled will need to be good on the second ball (which then calls for Cam!!)

Interesting conundrum our midfield has become!

18 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Canny get a worse ref so that’s a positive. We’re still in it. Vargas and Tagawa to still play too. Reckon we’ll have a similar performance to Zurich at home but with the goals this time 

I thought its the same ref as Thursday 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Sherbet said:

A trip to Gullane. When was the last time anyone ran up Murder Hill?

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Very interesting shout about Sibbick! Looks like the right side and central defenders for now are settled and that is before Halkett is back. Sibbick for me is easily as good on the ball as most of the guys in the frame in midfield currently and has a presence. I actually like that idea. 

Maybe worth trying it out Sun if game going well. Wouldnt want to try something different next Thu, blind.

Can’t go to this, It’s my 44th wedding anniversary that day, promised the missus to take her out for a meal, I did suggest McDonalds on Gorgie road but the withering look told me all I needed to know.:(

19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I walked up it last year and was nearly sick!!!! Can't believe I used to even attempt doggies on it! (oi, mind out the gutter, I mean sprints)

3 hours ago, DxB Hearts said:

You have literally made that scenario up in your head and are now annoyed at the club for it. Bananas.  

It's amazing how often that happens. Not just in here but life in general. Make something up then go all spit and snotters about it.

The amount of times you see something like...

"Bloke down the pub says Shankland is off to Saudi"

Next poster

"Can't believe we are selling our top scorer"

Next poster

"Joe Savage is out his depth, his puppet McAvoy only likes forwards 6'2 plus hence we are selling him"

New thread starts

"With the immediate departure of Shankland is it time to dump Savage as well...."

3 hours ago, PapaShango said:

Absolute nonsense, Naismith is in charge end of regardless of how we spin it in the media! He will have picked the side last night and I still can’t believe some of our support can’t get their heads around how it works.

99% of the support knows it’s Naismith.  You are wasting your time trying to convince the 1%

13 hours ago, weegie jambo said:

If it’s a pretence, and I believe it is and Naismith is calling the shots, if we’re back to Robbie Hoofball, it’s on Naismith surely ?

We’re not though. We were playing possession based football away from home in Europe trying to keep the ball off a dangerous team. Had it not been for 2 ugly mistakes we’d have had a clean sheet and one foot in the door of the next round. Our sole objective was to keep the tie alive and turn the gas up at Tynecastle and see how they cope. Part 1 was achieved IMO

If you want expansive swashbuckling football away from home in Europe, there’s about half a dozen teams who do it regularly for you to chose from.

Edited by JimmyCant

The Old Tolbooth

High tempo, right at them from the off, no holds barred, make it as uncomfortable for them as possible and the fans need to play their part too, huge noise please! 

Whoever scores the first goal wins the tie IMO.

We go 3-1 down on aggregate and it's goodnight, thanks for coming.

Go 2-2 and it's fire and thunder and we'll go on to win.

Absolute Scenes
38 minutes ago, Marvin said:

18 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I walked up it last year and was nearly sick!!!! Can't believe I used to even attempt doggies on it! (oi, mind out the gutter, I mean sprints)

when levein was our manager, and we had that amazing initial run - then had one of the worst bouts of injuries i can remember. i see a few posts now and again about using murder hill. I believe it ruined half our squad

Edited by Absolute Scenes

If we stick to the basics we should win. Last night was almost RN like in team selection and formation. No need for such an attacking team away from home. 

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If it’s a pretence, and I believe it is and Naismith is calling the shots, if we’re back to Robbie Hoofball, it’s on Naismith surely ?

We’re not though. We were playing possession based football away from home in Europe trying to keep the ball off a dangerous team. Had it not been for 2 ugly mistakes we’d have had a clean sheet and one foot in the door of the next round. Our sole objective was to keep the tie alive and turn the gas up at Tynecastle and see how they cope. Part 1 was achieved IMO

If you want expansive swashbuckling football away from home in Europe, there’s about half a dozen teams who do it regularly for you to chose from.

Yup. I don't always align with you JC, but you're on form today.  We werent overly tactically inept last night.  The players needed to take a wee bit responsibility.  I think Rosenborg sat in 451 more than we'd expected and the boys didn't adapt, but we controlled the ball pretty well.  Like you say couple of silly moments, and they never troubled us otherwise really.

It was a pretty professional display which I wish we'd added  bit more variety and spice to, but certainly not one to beat up the management team for.  And to drag the whole setup into it is lazy and frankly shows people to be dimwitted.  Naisy is in charge.  Fact.  I know it for fact.  Don't tell UEFA.