***Official Rosenborg v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

tartofmidlothian

9 hours ago, cazzyy said:

There are none, just as there were no posts before the game saying that he wasn't ready and shouldn't be playing.

On a brighter note Aden Denholm looked the part and to think he would have been away if RN was still in charge.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DxB Hearts

• Cruyff

• OTT

• Hearts007

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

I thought them quite quick in transition also. Their two banks of 4 quite happy to watch us in possesion 40 yds out most of first half. Suspect with a 1-2 lead, we will see similar next week. Difficult one, we need to ruffle them early on, but losing first goal will be curtains.

Stopping them is surely not much more than getting Boyce and Haring in from the start imo. Haring snuffed out most of that young lad's influence. 

Also, I'd like to stop this tendency for the full-backs to be so tucked in when defending. I understand it's an approach from the coaches but we needed to be wider defending. I think Cochrane was far more effective ahead of Kingsley too.

Watt-Zeefuik

Sorry but I don’t buy that “it’s only hindsight” to suggest starting Beni was a mistake. I was excited to see him but I don’t draw a fine salary to watch him train at Riccarton and evaluate his readiness. 

People make mistakes at work, and it’s not a critical error IMO but it was a pretty big mistake and the grief the management team are getting about it is fully deserved.

13 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We should certainly go direct first 15 min and see what it offers 

We dont have the skill to defeat low block to the point of sustained final 3rd pressure, which we are going to need to score 2 or 3.

Yup. Think that's the best plan. They certainly didn't look comfortable when we did it in the 2nd half. 

I don't have any doubt we will be a lot braver next week. We have to be. They went from dominating the game first half, but if you watched RBK the last 10 minutes of the game there was a nervousness and we need to exploit that. 

34 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Sorry but I don’t buy that “it’s only hindsight” to suggest starting Beni was a mistake. I was excited to see him but I don’t draw a fine salary to watch him train at Riccarton and evaluate his readiness. 

People make mistakes at work, and it’s not a critical error IMO but it was a pretty big mistake and the grief the management team are getting about it is fully deserved.

Not so sure about that.

If he'd played like that in practice games, of course he wouldn't have been selected. He wouldnt even have made the bench.

That was a performance way way way below any standard that they would have seen in training.

It's not like we were forced into playing him. They could only have seen a player ready to play.

Coming back from injuries like that can be terrifying for players. He froze up. Had half time come a minute sooner we might have been in a different position going into the second leg.

1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

Not so sure about that.

If he'd played like that in practice games, of course he wouldn't have been selected. He wouldnt even have made the bench.

That was a performance way way way below any standard that they would have seen in training.

It's not like we were forced into playing him. They could only have seen a player ready to play.

Coming back from injuries like that can be terrifying for players. He froze up. Had half time come a minute sooner we might have been in a different position going into the second leg.

Of course Beni can also say “Gaffer, I’m getting there but I’m 2 weeks away”

3 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Of course Beni can also say “Gaffer, I’m getting there but I’m 2 weeks away”

Maybe.

But when Haring is back playing well and we've just signed Calem, would you in his position?

Also he may have also believed from training he was ok, but being in the match proper threw him.

No Idle Talk
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Agreed. When I saw he was in the starting eleven I certainly raised an eyebrow.

I understand the desire to get Beni back into the starting eleven. I think we all understand it. When he's fit and playing well he is the best central midfielder we have. But you have to be sensible at the same time. He had played about ten minutes of competitive football in the last year and a bit before Thursday night. It was a mental decision to throw him in from the start in an away European tie with that little football under his belt.

Whoever picked that team messed up. That's not hindsight. It's just a fact.

6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

I could be talking shite here but don’t the away team get first dibs on the strip choice to save them packing 2 or 3 sets

I'm not sure about that. I can't recall Man Utd or Liverpool not playing in red at home in a European tie, for example.

Hearts have always played in maroon at home in Europe, I'm pretty sure.

It might well have been Rosenborg's choice to wear their green strip to wind us up.

[I can remember, in Madrid in 1993, seeing a couple of Atletico fans wearing Rangers tops. Similar psychology. Maybe.]

Or, I wonder if it's just two clubs' marketing teams communicating with each other with a, "We've got an away kit we'd like to put in the shop window and so have you; is this a match to do so?"

Either way, changing kits for no good reason can GTF.

As for the display in Trondheim, I had only been following the posts on here - no pictures, no radio. I've just watched the highlights. I'm more optimistic than I was. Thursday evening's going to be special. 

Defeats should never be celebrated, brushed off, put to the side, nothing to see here approach. We got beat, and we probably expected to nick a result, or at least a draw.

We played our usual first half, which is now the norm. And we played better in the second half, and grabbed one back.

It wouldn't surprise me if we go out next week, or win through. The reason is, we are still so unpredictable, so slow to start, give the opposition too much respect, play safe.

I expect us to put on a much better show next week, but we are up and down like a yoyo. Time will tell, and we better win and go through on Thursday, or yet another failure on our doorstep, which had been long in the planning. 

Edited by innerjambo

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Agreed.

Starting him in that game was an error,  regardless of how he looked in training imo. Did he manage 90 minutes pre season? 

15 minutes ago, innerjambo said:

Defeats should never be celebrated, brushed off, put to the side, nothing to see here approach. We got beat, and we probably expected to nick a result, or at least a draw.

We played our usual first half, which is now the norm. And we played better in the second half, and grabbed one back.

It wouldn't surprise me if we go out next week, or win through. The reason is, we are still so unpredictable, so slow to start, give the opposition too much respect, play safe.

I expect us to put on a much better show next week, but we are up and down like a yoyo. Time will tell, and we better win and go through on Thursday, or yet another failure on our doorstep, which had been long in the planning. 

The 1st half malaise is a major issue.

It has been for a long time under several HC's.

It frustrates the hell out of me that we rarely start games the way we finish them.

Worse, still, no lessons are learned and we start with the wrong XI, formation and approach the next game.

Stendelnator
17 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Agreed.

Starting him in that game was an error,  regardless of how he looked in training imo. Did he manage 90 minutes pre season? 

He did, and it was mentioned by a manager that he had to be rested for the Leeds game entirely because of it 

34 minutes ago, martoon said:

The 1st half malaise is a major issue.

It has been for a long time under several HC's.

It frustrates the hell out of me that we rarely start games the way we finish them.

Worse, still, no lessons are learned and we start with the wrong XI, formation and approach the next game.

Did you say it was the wrong 11 and formation pre match?

If we win on Sunday and Thursday, everything is rosey in the garden. Lose, and we have not progressed, we have just gone round in circles yet again. Looking for a good win from both fixtures.

Yes Beni was far from fit enough and obviously they didn’t want to make a sub in first half which ultimately cost us 2nd goal. But I take positives from other than that there wasn’t much in it. So let’s just right the wrongs at home, nothing to frighten us.

45 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Did you say it was the wrong 11 and formation pre match?

Out loud?

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Anywhere. 😄

Very surprised if it was, I was surprised by how far Beni was off it, but only after start 

1 minute ago, SectionG said:

Very surprised if it was, I was surprised by how far Beni was off it, but only after start 

I can only assume he was looking good in training. A gamble that didn't pay off. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I can only assume he was looking good in training. A gamble that didn't pay off. 

Agreed, as to why I find it strange anyone could have called it before kickoff.

If Calem is unavailable, and based on how we’ve started, who did anyone expect to take his place if not Beni. Especially as most on here had Pete out and not good enough before he signed extension.

______________Clark

Atkinson__Kent__Rowles__Kingsley

_________Haring___Niewenhoff

________Oda__Boyce__Lowry

____________Shankland

i just want to see Boycie and Shanks control the game with their prominent minds

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

______________Clark

____________Shankland

i just want to see Boycie and Shanks control the game with their prominent minds

Yes so many more options at home, including Tagawa on top of that. Hard to mention Vargas too as we’ve yet to see him.

Just now, SectionG said:

Yes so many more options at home, including Tagawa on top of that. Hard to mention Vargas too as we’ve yet to see him.

Honestly mate we’re just generally class. It’s weird for my generation going from the likes of Niemi and Cameron to Hartley and Skacel to now. I just think this current era is going to be right up there when we think of great teams

Just now, BigAlim said:

Honestly mate we’re just generally class. It’s weird for my generation going from the likes of Niemi and Cameron to Hartley and Skacel to now. I just think this current era is going to be right up there when we think of great teams

Agreed, I think they’ve a chance, was just a couple of errors that cost us last night. Early in season and Beni has been out a long time. Nothing to make me think that without full squad at home we won’t go through 

20 hours ago, Disser Pointon said:

Nothing wrong with Grant when he came on, can't understand some fans obsession with slating him.

Not an obsession , just do not think he is good enough 

10 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

______________Clark

____________Shankland

I'd give Grant a run in midfield beside Haring. The lad has ability and a bit of dig. He just needs a chance, a proper chance,  not one game here and there.

18 hours ago, DS98 said:

Lethargic first half is fair.

No one was questioning Beni’s inclusion. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

The squad is very much good enough. We were missing 3 new players plus Gordon, Halkett and McKay.

Defence was fine last night. They were restricted to minimal chances. If Beni was 100% they probably don’t score at all.

Shankland does what Shankland does. 

We have a commanding centre half. For the second game in a row Frankie Kent won every header.

Grant helped change the game. Forrest gave his usual 100% but produced little.

A lot were surprised with starting Beni , Grant can go for me , and time will tell on the defence .

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I'd give Grant a run in midfield beside Haring. The lad has ability and a bit of dig. He just needs a chance, a proper chance,  not one game here and there.

Yeah **** it why not.

I know some posters wanted Grant, Halliday and Forrest out the door ASAP (me included I.e Forrest) but right now I’m seeing total commitment from these fellas

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Yeah **** it why not.

I know some posters wanted Grant, Halliday and Forrest out the door ASAP (me included I.e Forrest) but right now I’m seeing total commitment from these fellas

I think Halliday or Grant start before Beni last night. We win.

6 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Yeah **** it why not.

It's good to see. It's early doors, so I think it'll click. Boyce/Shankland/Mckay or Oda is gonna be good. Haring and Grant the ball winners with Lowry making things happen. Halkett and Kent will be formidable when Halks is fit. 

Cammy, Beni and the new lads will just need to fight their way into the team. 

I'm now pretty confident of a very good and successful season. Big Cup could be on its way.

Edited by ri Alban

Beni was SO far off the pace there’s no way even in a practice game or even training he could’ve looked ready 

fabienleclerq
5 hours ago, SectionG said:

If Calem is unavailable, and based on how we’ve started, who did anyone expect to take his place if not Beni. Especially as most on here had Pete out and not good enough before he signed extension.

Haring should've started, even when he isn't playing well he's a physical threat. Hearts are a better team with him in there.

It's alright saying hindsight etc, SN or whoever picked Beni watches these players all week. It's his job to pick the team. If he does it well he gets praised if he makes a ***** of it he will get stick.

I'd still be upset if i was SN by recruitment taking so long as well leaving players unavailable. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

Haring should've started, even when he isn't playing well he's a physical threat. Hearts are a better team with him in there.

It's alright saying hindsight etc, SN or whoever picked Beni watches these players all week. It's his job to pick the team. If he does it well he gets praised if he makes a ***** of it he will get stick.

I'd still be upset if i was SN by recruitment taking so long as well leaving players unavailable. 

👍

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, SectionG said:

Agreed, as to why I find it strange anyone could have called it before kickoff.

I said it as soon as I saw the line up. I hoped that the staff knew what they were doing but it looked an unnecessary risk while Haring is in good form. 

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

It's good to see. It's early doors, so I think it'll click. Boyce/Shankland/Mckay or Oda is gonna be good. Haring and Grant the ball winners with Lowry making things happen. Halkett and Kent will be formidable when Halks is fit. 

Cammy, Beni and the new lads will just need to fight their way into the team. 

I'm now pretty confident of a very good and successful season. Big Cup could be on its way.

Grant isn’t a ball winner and has proved time and again he’s hopeless in a two man midfield. 

I see that Aston villa are advertising applications  for tickets to play hibs or lucerne away on the 24th. This would surely mean that should we get through then we would be away on that date. Clubs were supposed to be advised by 6pm on the 8th of any reversals . Still no word from hearts or uefa

Portable Badger

EEN reporting Barrie McKay could be back in contention for the Rosenborg game.  Is that Oor Barry on the loopyjuice?  How long has Barrie had his 'boot' off to be seriously considered for that game?  Hope they're not going to do a Beni and push him too early and it's just nonsense from Anderson

i wish jj was my dad
8 hours ago, SectionG said:

Haring has been very good since he returned. It was a no brainer to start him whether dafties like uus rate him or not. The staff got it wrong. Hopefully, they don't make many more mistakes like that. 

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Haring has been very good since he returned. It was a no brainer to start him whether dafties like uus rate him or not. The staff got it wrong. Hopefully, they don't make many more mistakes like that. 

We move on now it was a error that cost us a goal and nearly the round. Having a rookie coach guess we get rookie mistakes. Problem having a rookie manager at the top level very little margin of error it is why I like my managers to cut there teeth further down the scale but Robson and Robbie have done well I suppose.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

EEN reporting Barrie McKay could be back in contention for the Rosenborg game.  Is that Oor Barry on the loopyjuice?  How long has Barrie had his 'boot' off to be seriously considered for that game?  Hope they're not going to do a Beni and push him too early and it's just nonsense from Anderson

He has been training with the team so not too crazy to think there is an outside chance he can be in the squad for Thursday

11 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Yeah **** it why not.

I think most would agree that Zurich at home was our best performance for many a year. (First 60 anyway).

Grant played in the middle of the park with Devlin that night. Forrest started too plus Boyce AND Shankland were also in the starting 11. 

On 11/08/2023 at 12:52, jtkb said:

When did you see Beni play in pre season? When he came on against St Johnstone he looked dazzed to me. 

After 18 months out Beni needs to be coming on of the bench not starting away from home in Europe against a team 20 odd games in to there season.

Dunfermline, for instance- he looked like he'd never been away when he came on.

WheatfieldWarrior
2 hours ago, HighTimes said:

Dunfermline, for instance- he looked like he'd never been away when he came on.

It was good to see him at dunfermline, but he only played the last 10 in a friendly against lower league opposition, which was basically a kickabout by that point.

Didn't look remotely fit to me.

Boyce looked much better and he hasn't started a game as far as I am aware.

On 10/08/2023 at 17:28, Sooks said:

What ? Ever ? Oh sorry I must be mixing him up with some one else . I am talking about the Japanese international I watched last week and whos video I watched . I like the look of him and would have loved to have seen him unleashed . Sorry my opinion is some thing that does not sit right with you 😞 

Sooks have a snickers, you're being a diva. x