Titanic "tourist" submarine

Lone Striker

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

2A0697B4-045C-4429-A4FA-0DC085011B15.jpeg

Seems like a good call.

Apart from anything else, it has been quoted that James Cameron has made in excess of 30 visits to the Titanic wreck.

If so, then there are surely tried & tested submersibles, so why go down on an untried & tested death trap?

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK-1

• BlueRiver

• Dusk_Till_Dawn

• hughesie27

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

The evidence appears to be that addictive behavour - only some of it illegal - can be caused by factors that precede someone's life. Black prisoners in the US for example whose grandparents were slaves, fathers hunted by the KKK is one, descendents of Irish famine suvivors, native Americans etc...

I used to have those sentiments but largely through working with kids from really shit backgrounds, I've come to realise, 'what choice do they have?'. Some kids hate themselves from as young as 4 or 5. Their brains have developed in direct response to their birth environment, more-so if their parents and grandparents were mired in poverty, famine, war etc. It would take years of therapy to teach 'self-responsibility'. The rich will have their own traumas too - look at Boris ffs or some of the royals. They obvs have more recourse to address it though.

It's one reason, out of many, why the Ukraine situation is so horrific. There will be scars and resultant chaos, violence and depression for the next generation or two, at least, on both sides.

This vid is interesting btw.

Yes  I’m very interested in all the brain development  neuro science And how early years trauma can affect an adult . Yes as you state “ what chance do they have “ ? If only therapy was more widely available instead of numbing people on methadone etc 

John Findlay
32 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Amazed?  Why?……..I’ve never heard of him.

He wrote the book The Cruel Sea that the film was based on. Damn fine read it is too. The film produced by Leslie Norman, Barry Norman's father.

Imho one of the best films ever made about the battle of the Atlantic.

Starring Jack Hawkins, Donald Sinden, Stanley Baker, Denholm Elliot, and Victoria Tennant.

* Virginia McKenna not Victoria Tennent*

Edited by John Findlay

highlandjambo3
Just now, John Findlay said:

He wrote the book The Cruel Sea that the film was based on. Damn fine read it is too. The film produced by Leslie Norman, Barry Norman's father.

Imho one of the best films ever made about the battle of the Atlantic.

Starring Jack Hawkins, Donald Sinden, Stanley Baker, Denholm Elliot, and Victoria Tennant.

Still never heard of him…….up until now that is……amazing 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I fasted . I’m on the IFD . Eat water as starter and eggs as main course ! 

Did any of your 6Lbs loss come off your belly?

Asking for a friend. 🤭

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Did any of your 6Lbs loss come off your belly?

Asking for a friend. 🤭

👍😁🙂 dunno but its came back again ....damn

image-23-10-21-06-58-4.gif

21 hours ago, been here before said:

Here's hoping.

I was reading through this earlier thinking the thread lacks pathetic double entendres, shite, predictale camp 70s gifs, condesvending post and someone managing to make a thread about the likely deaths of five folk in a submarine a couple of miles under the water exploring the most famous shipwreck in the world all about them.

You called it, the virus has appeared. 🙄

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

👍😁🙂 dunno but its came back again ....damn

image-23-10-21-06-58-4.gif

That's because around 5 lb of it was water.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

That's because around 5 lb of it was water.

Feck knows but that Intermittent fasting diet does work. Def.  I do eat healthy foods whilst on it too.  But sometimes lapse.  Like this weekend is a lapse weekend. Back on the grind from Tuesday though. 

2 hours ago, Mister T said:

Aye that's exactly how I pictured it, gone in a poof, there's a reason we're not all knocking about down the bottom of the ocean.

Fascinating thing about the bottom of the ocean is life exists, even under all that immense pressure. Makes me wonder what would happen if one ever came to the surface, would it explode like a naked human in space?

9 minutes ago, kila said:

Fascinating thing about the bottom of the ocean is life exists, even under all that immense pressure. Makes me wonder what would happen if one ever came to the surface, would it explode like a naked human in space?

Attenburghs deep seas was mind blowing. 

If you haven't watched the episode about the deep it's a must.

We truly live in a beyond amazing planet.

One I'm happy to discover through the TV.

But when you see the wildness of the oceans you have to tip yer hat to the people who work them.

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Seems like a good call.

Apart from anything else, it has been quoted that James Cameron has made in excess of 30 visits to the Titanic wreck.

If so, then there are surely tried & tested submersibles, so why go down on an untried & tested death trap?

Am pretty sure James Cameron made 33 dives mostly on the Russian Submersibles MIR 1 & MIR 2. These are no longer used. See here

Also I highly recommend watching his Documentary/Film about diving to the Titanic on these Subs called Ghosts Of The Abyss.

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Ked said:

Attenburghs deep seas was mind blowing. 

If you haven't watched the episode about the deep it's a must.

We truly live in a beyond amazing planet.

One I'm happy to discover through the TV.

But when you see the wildness of the oceans you have to tip yer hat to the people who work them.

I do enjoy all these documentaries but the sea ones are preferable ones to watch for me.

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I do enjoy all these documentaries but the sea ones are preferable ones to watch for me.

We'd never know but for these programmes.

It's certainly worth the license fee.

6 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

There’s an underlying hint of envy about rich people and what they spend their money on.  Envy is s terrible sin. It permeates through some posters on this . 

:spoton:

dobmisterdobster

0_Oceangate.jpg.4935bb56f62b9d53bbda94f11c757e7d.jpg

587339918_IMG_20230623_1645582.thumb.jpg.5314b132d57ab08eb5f2514594b95a8e.jpg

I actually have the exact same model of Logitech controller that was used to control the submarine. Kinda mental that they actually went with that.

Aye Wikipedia’ is a good resource on this ! Even I knew that the vessel would crush itself . But incredible the amount of experts on this , ranging from politics , science , football etc . They really shouldn’t hide it  their knowledge base …. Oh wait 

There’s an underlying hint of envy about rich people and what they spend their money on , from not so rich people . None of my business what they do with their brass . They earned it , in whatever way . Envy is s terrible sin. It permeates through some posters on this . 

Would be good if there was someone genuinely rich on JKB so they could give their opinion.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
17 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I actually have the exact same model of Logitech controller that was used to control the submarine. Kinda mental that they actually went with that.

Absolutely unbelievable :rofl:

****ing idiots

There’s an underlying hint of envy about rich people and what they spend their money on , from not so rich people . None of my business what they do with their brass . They earned it , in whatever way . Envy is s terrible sin. It permeates through some posters on this . 

I don't think it is so much envy James, just that we're being made to give more of a shit about rich people's situations than poor people's by the media. It's nothing new though, and as I said earlier a lot of it is down to what the average person wants to click on (thus generating ad revenue for that news source) but some of that is being conditioned to giving less of a shit about poor people.

Shooter McGavin
20 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

$250,000 to be controlled by that thing, on a trip to one of the most dangerous places on the planet.

F****** hell 😂

31 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Those are 2 different controllers.

Unknown user
33 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Spot on. Should be made illegal 

I doubt anyone has the right to ban it, it's in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, kila said:

Fascinating thing about the bottom of the ocean is life exists, even under all that immense pressure. Makes me wonder what would happen if one ever came to the surface, would it explode like a naked human in space?

Why did the human have to be naked 😂

JudyJudyJudy
59 minutes ago, kila said:

I don't think it is so much envy James, just that we're being made to give more of a shit about rich people's situations than poor people's by the media. It's nothing new though, and as I said earlier a lot of it is down to what the average person wants to click on (thus generating ad revenue for that news source) but some of that is being conditioned to giving less of a shit about poor people.

ok fair enough

the posh bit
1 hour ago, Pap said:

Would be good if there was someone genuinely rich on JKB so they could give their opinion.

I'm minted and my opinion is James should be ignored at all times. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, kila said:

Glad I am not the only one wondering why it gets so much news time.

I mean BBC here, no adverts.

Yes it is an interesting one, but not worthy of 10mins out of a 30min programme every night.

The time spent on Man City Champions League was also ridiculous. 

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?
2 hours ago, kila said:

You would not "explode", nor would you instantly freeze solid, if you were somehow ejected into space.

These sort of things look cool in movies - but the reality is actually quite boring (unless you were the one it was happening to)...

You'd almost certainly die from asphyxiation.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
54 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I doubt anyone has the right to ban it, it's in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean

I think there are laws governing what can be done with the Titanic site 

jack D and coke

Reading things on twitter (I know) but some reports coming out that the US govt knew almost straight away the sub had imploded hence why they dragged their feet letting other countries and vessels get involved in the search. 
Let the narrative unfold that they were

running out of air instead. 
Rumours to take the news away from Hunter Biden and keep him out the news.

The thing that doesn't work for the company saying they were too busy to do safety checks because they were innovating. 

The exploration industry is high level. 60 years old. More people will give evidence this was criminal. 

2 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

If they'd used an Xbox controller they could have just pressed the Home button......

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

There are international laws governing the exploration of shipwrecks.

29 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

If they'd used an Xbox controller they could have just pressed the Home button......

🤭

CavySlaveJambo
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

I think there are some sort of treaties involved too.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agreement_Concerning_the_Shipwrecked_Vessel_RMS_Titanic

So Britain and The US along with Canada and France (if they Ratify the treaty) could put some regulations into place.

Also since 15 April 2012 it has been protected by UNESCO too. 

Japan Jambo
44 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

🤣👏

53 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

:rofl:

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, A, B woud have given them 5 lives.

the posh bit
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

:spoton:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a world where my image is used to agree with folk who sneer at others for being jealous of billionaires. 😀

CavySlaveJambo
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

The thing that doesn't work for the company saying they were too busy to do safety checks because they were innovating. 

The exploration industry is high level. 60 years old. More people will give evidence this was criminal. 

And the co-founder who left 10 years ago saying everything was done as it should have been.  Well maybe it was when he left, but 5 years later was that still the case?  

63 years, 1 fatal incident, other incidents where bad things happened but safety measures prevented fatalities.  And that includes abandoning and cutting short dives. 

2 hours ago, Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic? said:

You would not "explode", nor would you instantly freeze solid, if you were somehow ejected into space.

These sort of things look cool in movies - but the reality is actually quite boring (unless you were the one it was happening to)...

You'd almost certainly die from asphyxiation.

It's an interesting point.  I would think that if the pressure on the human body from the earth's atmosphere was suddenly removed, the body really would explode.  The reason we're not crushed flat by the weight of the atmosphere is that there is equal pressure inside the body pushing outwards.  Take away the outside pressure and boom.  No?

i wish jj was my dad

Glad this managed to get dragged back on topic and away from slimfast. 

This stuff has to be regulated better and a little more respect could be shown to historic graves. That's not envy just decency I think. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
34 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Glad this managed to get dragged back on topic and away from slimfast. 

This stuff has to be regulated better and a little more respect could be shown to historic graves. That's not envy just decency I think. 

The guy who owned the company sound like a weapon and it’s a shame he couldn’t have got his in these circumstances without killing loads of other people. Prick 

i wish jj was my dad
1 minute ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The guy who owned the company sound like a weapon and it’s a shame he couldn’t have got his in these circumstances without killing loads of other people. Prick 

The whole thing is quite ghoulish. I understand the historical importance and interest in understanding more about the wreck but it's a bit unsettling that rich adventurers are poking about the site of a mass grave at £250k a pop. 

1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a world where my image is used to agree with folk who sneer at others for being jealous of billionaires. 😀

I fear that you have, once again, spectacularly missed the point.

But, y’know what Vincent, I’m beyond caring about folks opinions, dreams and the other things that they rant on about.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Titanic "tourist" submarine