***Other Clubs Summer Transfer Thread 2023***

tartofmidlothian

GorgieFifeLife
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

I did not quote you . Amusing that you took it that way though 

I know you didn’t.  I found your post interesting though so commented accordingly👍🏻

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Naisys Tackle

• Mikey1874

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

2 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Totally agree with everything you say.  I think we do need a mix of experience and youth though.  Especially when we are signing players from all corners of the globe who have little idea of what the league is all about.  I think in the past it has been the wrong type of ageing pros we have targeted.  There are some who have got good longevity despite age and players are able to go on longer at a good level now given the modern day conditioning techniques.

Still think you’re at the wind up but at least you explained it. We’ve got enough experience in the squad for me. The only position I wanted experience in was CB. 

loveofthegame
11 hours ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

You will be waiting a long time.  I see us struggling this season.  No signings who are proven in this league is a disaster waiting to happen.  

Talent is more important than being used to the league. We've made 4 signings so far, 1 of whom is used to the league. That leaves three new players. It is hardly any.

I think we'll be just fine. 

Quality over quantity is the mantra and it looks like we've very much gone for that this summer.

GorgieFifeLife
2 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

Talent is more important than being used to the league. We've made 4 signings so far, 1 of whom is used to the league. That leaves three new players. It is hardly any.

I think we'll be just fine. 

Quality over quantity is the mantra and it looks like we've very much gone for that this summer.

Hope so👍🏻

GorgieFifeLife
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Still think you’re at the wind up but at least you explained it. We’ve got enough experience in the squad for me. The only position I wanted experience in was CB. 

Fair enough👍🏻

Absolute Scenes

Can folk stop quoting Meth Life please, cheers. Clearly trolling, thinking he/she has gone undercover here. Spotted the filth in their posting right away. Cannot wait for Boyle to break down, for Youan to run out of directions to run straight in, for Vente Cappuccino to struggle to adapt. Hibs are absolutely nothing to fear and not of their players enters our first fully fit 11. Throwing deals at league 1 floaters,  and record money for Second tier strikers. Wee Lee playing a blinder, 6-1 against part time farmers will keep the senseless happy for a while

1 hour ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

I just think we need more experience in the squad that’s all.  Wotherspoon was an example.  He is ageing but if he has kept himself fit that shouldn’t matter.  Not at it at all.  If I was I’m sure there are better things I could come up with.

Gordon, Clark, Halkett, Kingsley, Haring, McKay, Boyce, Shankland.

Cochrane, Devlin, Atkinson, Beni, Sibbick all in their 3rd seasons in Scottish football. 

I'll throw in Forrest and Halliday who know Scottish football inside out. Grant is 28 and had a year to settle. Kye had a year too.

Kent has little culture change.

Youre simply wrong. Its not even opinion this one. We have a very settled squad for the first time in many years.

Wotherspoon was a decent player. We dont need him for his skillset and we sure as shit dont need him for his experience.

GorgieFifeLife
28 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon, Clark, Halkett, Kingsley, Haring, McKay, Boyce, Shankland.

Cochrane, Devlin, Atkinson, Beni, Sibbick all in their 3rd seasons in Scottish football. 

I'll throw in Forrest and Halliday who know Scottish football inside out. Grant is 28 and had a year to settle. Kye had a year too.

Kent has little culture change.

Youre simply wrong. Its not even opinion this one. We have a very settled squad for the first time in many years.

Wotherspoon was a decent player. We dont need him for his skillset and we sure as shit dont need him for his experience.

Gordon, Kingsley, Haring, Boyce, Devlin, Atkinson, Sibbick, Forrest, Halliday, Grant and Rowles all likely to either get limited game time or be moved on.  Kind of negates your point.  

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

Gordon, Kingsley, Haring, Boyce, Devlin, Atkinson, Sibbick, Forrest, Halliday, Grant and Rowles all likely to either get limited game time or be moved on.  Kind of negates your point.  

what a load of absolute shite. 100% you are at it

GFL reminds me of a certain poster but can’t put my finger on who it was - was certainly emptied for being Hibs though :fth:

2 minutes ago, GorgieFifeLife said:

No. No theyre not. And no. No it doesnt.

jamboinglasgow

I see Livingston announced that they have signed a 20 year old South African winger, Alphelele Teto on a 4 year contract. However they say that he failed in getting approval from the SFA work permit committee. They are likely to send him on loan until January when they can try again.

Think that may be the first time I have ever seen a player not get a work permit on appeal in Scotland. Saw someone on twitter say that he would only have 3 points of the required 15 to get a work permit without appeal so it could be how low that is that meant it got rejected. Though this person pointed out that he has seen a couple of players with 4 points get work permits on appeal. 

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I see Livingston announced that they have signed a 20 year old South African winger, Alphelele Teto on a 4 year contract. However they say that he failed in getting approval from the SFA work permit committee. They are likely to send him on loan until January when they can try again.

Think that may be the first time I have ever seen a player not get a work permit on appeal in Scotland. Saw someone on twitter say that he would only have 3 points of the required 15 to get a work permit without appeal so it could be how low that is that meant it got rejected. Though this person pointed out that he has seen a couple of players with 4 points get work permits on appeal. 

Hibs failed with Jason Scotland, then United succeeded in signing him :laugh2:

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He played for Dundee United, scored v Hibs in the SC semi, then was denied a WP by a panel rumoured to be comprised of ex-Hibees before successfully getting one for St Johnstone in the division below 

Unknown user
Just now, DC_92 said:

He played for Dundee United, scored v Hibs in the SC semi, then was denied a WP by a panel rumoured to be comprised of ex-Hibees before successfully getting one for St Johnstone in the division below 

Ah was that it? That's even better

Unknown user
1 minute ago, DC_92 said:

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Ah was that it? That's even better

Ah right no it wasn't, I'm with you now 👍

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

Yeah, pretty sure it added some extra motivation to get it right up them again in that game. 

:jjyay:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/famous-five-hibees-buried-career-3608810

😆 

I seem to vaguely remember it wasn't actually that straight forward a permit extension as he hadn't played very often in his 2 seasons here.

jamboinglasgow
25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

sorry I should have clarified, I meant since the new rules came in under Brexit.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

sorry I should have clarified, I meant since the new rules came in under Brexit.

Fair enough, I can't think of any actually

Portable Badger

How come things like this never seems to happen for us?  

Southampton buy the midfielder Lavia for £10.5m and one season later they are holding out for £50m from Liverpool

On the other recent topic re Livingston player - Liverpool signed Taiwo Awoniyi  (Nigerian) and had to loan him out for 6 years to teams abroad as he was NOT granted the necessary visas/work permits. Liverpool eventually sell him and 'hey presto' he's now playing at Nottingham Forest. In 6 years he never played for Liverpool despite repeated annual attempts to allow him to play in England.

Edited by Portable Badger

6 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Southampton buy the midfielder Lavia for £10.5m and one season later they are holding out for £50m from Liverpool

On the other recent topic re Livingston player - Liverpool signed Taiwo Awoniyi  (Nigerian) and had to loan him out for 6 years to teams abroad as he was NOT granted the necessary visas/work permits. Liverpool eventually sell him and 'hey presto' he's now playing at Nottingham Forest. In 6 years he never played for Liverpool despite repeated annual attempts to allow him to play in England.

Basically boils down to our signings not being good enough or at the wrong age - if Shanks or McKay were early 20s they'd be worth a lot.

I think some of the current crop, Oda in particular, could have a decent resale value in a season.

Portable Badger
2 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Basically boils down to our signings not being good enough or at the wrong age - if Shanks or McKay were early 20s they'd be worth a lot.

I think some of the current crop, Oda in particular, could have a decent resale value in a season.

Hopefully some of them do.  Would be fantastic if one of our Academy boys eventually starts to attract these sorts of figures !!

3 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Hopefully some of them do.  Would be fantastic if one of our Academy boys eventually starts to attract these sorts of figures !!

They need to get a game for us first 🤣

Portable Badger
14 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

They need to get a game for us first 🤣

A mere piffling of an obstacle to overcome !!

41 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Yeah noticed our signings are getting younger. Vargas only 21 too. 

Byyy The Light
41 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

Would have to be an absolute freak occurrence, we're a few rungs down the ladder. Best we can hope for is a few million with a decent sell on percentage.

Just now, DxB Hearts said:

Not sure that's overly true.  Cochrane and Beni spring to mind as being obvious and Beni I'd suggest would already have made us big dosh if not for the obvious.  Kye, Toby, Natty, Cam all in that bracket too, even guys who haven't worked out as well like Kio also in that age bracket.

I think we're trying to bring in potential, first and foremost to polish it for our team, but with definite resale value.  Also guys are getting longer contracts - most the new ones seem to be 3/4 years.

Tagawa, Newy and Vargas all very much in that bracket from this years signings.

They won't all be - we needed a strong, confident CH so it made sense to get someone a bit more mature.  The young resellable guy wont always be the lead criteria

Granted we've not exactly "cashed in" much, some of that circumstance (imo nowt we could do about Souttar or Hickey, Beni been injured).  But I also think we won't be too easy to deal with - my gut tells me we'll want top dolla

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure that's overly true.  Cochrane and Beni spring to mind as being obvious and Beni I'd suggest would already have made us big dosh if not for the obvious.  Kye, Toby, Natty, Cam all in that bracket too, even guys who haven't worked out as well like Kio also in that age bracket.

I think we're trying to bring in potential, first and foremost to polish it for our team, but with definite resale value.  Also guys are getting longer contracts - most the new ones seem to be 3/4 years.

Tagawa, Newy and Vargas all very much in that bracket from this years signings.

They won't all be - we needed a strong, confident CH so it made sense to get someone a bit more mature.  The young resellable guy wont always be the lead criteria

Granted we've not exactly "cashed in" much, some of that circumstance (imo nowt we could do about Souttar or Hickey, Beni been injured).  But I also think we won't be too easy to deal with - my gut tells me we'll want top dolla

Yeah I agree, I mean up to this point our signings haven't been good enough to sell on for big bucks. As in pre-Savage. 

Oda, Beni, Rowles and Cochrane are guys who very much should ones we can, and will, sell for decent money (£1m+ hopefully).

Maybe Natty and Sibbick too but not sure they have the value of the others.

I hope I'm right but I can't see anyone paying what would be needed to take Shanks or McKay off us. Same with Halkett when fit. 

The 'next' crop will be the likes of Vargas and whoever else may join now or in Jan. 

24 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Yeah I agree, I mean up to this point our signings haven't been good enough to sell on for big bucks. As in pre-Savage. 

Oda, Beni, Rowles and Cochrane are guys who very much should ones we can, and will, sell for decent money (£1m+ hopefully).

Maybe Natty and Sibbick too but not sure they have the value of the others.

I hope I'm right but I can't see anyone paying what would be needed to take Shanks or McKay off us. Same with Halkett when fit. 

The 'next' crop will be the likes of Vargas and whoever else may join now or in Jan. 

Yup all round.  I think if anyone wants one of the players in the first group there, you're looking at well into the millions.  Part of it being their true worth (Cochrane, Beni), part of it being we need to show the market you don't get our players for pennies (so Oda hasn't really shown enough YET and Rowles form hasn't been amazing but we'd still demand big dosh if someone wanted them)

What I don't love, actually (not saying you're doing it mate!!!) is the almost clambering to sell players from fans.  Not just Hearts fans, all seem to do it - Hibs are the worst for it actually.  I want Alex Cochrane, Barrie McKay, everyone! to play really well for Hearts.  That's kinda the end of it.  I want us to sign players that add up to a right bloody good team.  While I know we need to sell players, I see it as a necessary evil.  Players will want to play at a higher level and earn more money than they can at Hearts, so we need to use that to our advantage as best we can, which is buy and develop young, sell high.  But I've no real interest in that side of things, in truth. 

It's ALL a bi-product of playing well (unless you play for Hibs or Aberdeen where you seem to be able to be bang average and get sold on!! In the spirit of my last para, i've no massive interest in that.  I'd rather have Cochrane in our team, than Doig being average for a couple of seasons and then £3m in the bank and Louie at LB! Anyone citing Hibs as an example of player trading need to remember that's the case here)

37 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

What I don't love, actually (not saying you're doing it mate!!!) is the almost clambering to sell players from fans.  Not just Hearts fans, all seem to do it - Hibs are the worst for it actually.  I want Alex Cochrane, Barrie McKay, everyone! to play really well for Hearts.  That's kinda the end of it.  I want us to sign players that add up to a right bloody good team.  While I know we need to sell players, I see it as a necessary evil.  Players will want to play at a higher level and earn more money than they can at Hearts, so we need to use that to our advantage as best we can, which is buy and develop young, sell high.  But I've no real interest in that side of things, in truth. 

For me we have to find 'our place' much better in terms of the wider footballing world. And I mean that in a good way.

Finding guys in Japan, Costa Rica or at home, developing them, selling them on to a top league and these players playing very well and looking like a great purchase by the buying club. Hopefully who then sell them on for a profit. The Hickey model but with us not having our pants pulled down a little bit. 

If we can do that and get a reputation of 'thats a club that has a great crop of young players who then go on to do well elsewhere' then we'll attract much better players to us hoping to repeat it. And we'll have more to spend on the newer boys coming in. 

I would love to keep all the star players all the time but this current squad isn't the end goal of how good we can be, if it takes us selling to improve then I'm all for it. 

We've been absolutely awful at selling players compared to Aberdeen and that shouldn't be the case! 

Sounds very easy, doesn't it?

This would certainly be a significant signing by the Saudis. Someone a lot of big European clubs wanted but priced out of.

Jack Torrance
16 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Saw that earlier. My first thought was that maybe Martindale had struggled with the form and made an erse of it.

The Saudis are chucking money about which I have no problem with. English clubs have done it for years. But their ultimate aim apparently is champions league,  world club cub etc. At which point FFP comes into play and their model is broken. Although I guess a state media will probably just chuck a huge TV contract at it.

Phil D. Corners
9 hours ago, db211833 said:

The Saudis are chucking money about which I have no problem with. English clubs have done it for years. But their ultimate aim apparently is champions league,  world club cub etc. At which point FFP comes into play and their model is broken. Although I guess a state media will probably just chuck a huge TV contract at it.

I was told they want to hold the World Cup. That said Qatar got it without needing to spend that much, on players!  

23 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

I think it has happened for us. We must have sold a few players for 5x what we paid for them(?)

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

The Harry Kane transfer saga feels like it has lasted longer than Muller's Hibs career.

It's mental been reading and getting told he is the best centre forward in the world for what feels like about 10 years yet nobody has been willing to pay what that would be worth.

I do think he is a very good player though.

5 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

It's mental been reading and getting told he is the best centre forward in the world for what feels like about 10 years yet nobody has been willing to pay what that would be worth.

I do think he is a very good player though.

Really?? Have to disagree with that.  He's a striker that can actually play football. He drops back and can pick up the ball and bring others into the game and spray passes too. I'd say he's one of the only complete centre forwards going. It's only Spurs' reluctance to sell home to another English club that has prevented hom moving. While he'd win trophies with Bayern I think he probably wants to beat Shearer's record in the EPL, so wouldn't be surprised if he stays at Spurs and leaves for free next year unless Ange can turn Spurs around this year and get them competing. 

22 minutes ago, dougal said:

Really?? Have to disagree with that.  He's a striker that can actually play football. He drops back and can pick up the ball and bring others into the game and spray passes too. I'd say he's one of the only complete centre forwards going. It's only Spurs' reluctance to sell home to another English club that has prevented hom moving. While he'd win trophies with Bayern I think he probably wants to beat Shearer's record in the EPL, so wouldn't be surprised if he stays at Spurs and leaves for free next year unless Ange can turn Spurs around this year and get them competing. 

That's why I said I do think he is a very good footballer

57 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

That's why I said I do think he is a very good footballer

Apologies I misread your point as not a good footballer.

5 minutes ago, briever said:

3 clubs have spent £130m on Harry Maguire transfers over the years - tell me fitba in England isn't fecked.

that’s disturbing so it is.